WA WA - Robert Gerard, 93, Centralia, Lewis Co, 6 Jul 2020 *dementia, seizures*

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
****MISSING PERSON****
PRESS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Centralia, WA
The Centralia Police Department is requesting the public’s assistance with locating a missing ninety-three year old man.
Missing from his residence is Robert S. Gerard. Robert was last seen at 2 pm on July 6, 2020 walking towards the 2400 block of North Pearl Street in Centralia. Robert has dementia and recently started having seizures.
Robert was last seen wearing a white baseball hat, brown jacket, blue jeans, and a gold colored cane. He is six feet tall and weighs one-hundred eighty-five pounds, blue eyes, and white hair.
Attached is a recent photograph of Robert.
If anyone sees Robert please call the Lewis County Central Dispatch Center at
360-740-1105, or 911.

106547112_2715478778665645_5074202539371135942_o.jpg

Centralia, WA Police Department

https://www.theolympian.com/news/local/article244092237.html

It`s been two days already. Where could Robert be?

Nearly a mile stretch between the last-seen location above (2400 block N Pearl) and this local reporting (Pearl & Reynolds). Either way, Pearl Street is heavily traveled with vehicles in that area, but not consistently pedestrian-friendly. Skookumchuck River is another 1/4 mile south. Area is populated, most residential some commercial.
Search Continues for Missing Centralia Man
The Centralia Police Department is continuing to search for a man reported missing earlier this week.

Robert S. Gerard, 93, was last seen at about 6 p.m. Monday near the intersection of Reynolds Road and Pearl Street.

Searches began Tuesday night in the area Gerard was last seen did not yield any clues to his whereabouts, according to the police department. The Centralia Police Department, Riverside Fire Authority, ARES radio volunteers and other volunteers searched the area in a grid and drones were used to search riverbanks and ponds.

Crews also searched the area where the Chehalis and Skookumchuck rivers meet at Fort Borst park on foot and with a drone.

Volunteers helping with the search are being asked to refrain from going onto private property without permission from the landowner. A BOLO, or Be on the Lookout notice has been issued to statewide law enforcement agencies.

To report information on his location, call 911 or 360-740-1105.

A check for updates tells me LE's grid search yielded nothing and without any sightings to suggest location, another search isn't planned. LE also went door-to-door. This tall man strolling along a well-traveled roadway with his gold cane in the daylight just vanished.

Centralia Police detectives say the day Bob disappeared he had walked to a neighbor’s home. That neighbor gave Bob a ride to the corner of W. Reynolds Ave. and N. Pearl St. Detectives say Bob got dropped off there, because he noticed people he seemed to know, so the neighbor let him out. The Skookumchuck River is just east of there, but detectives say they've searched the river extensively with crews, bloodhounds, even drones.

More at MISSING: Centralia Police say somebody may be mistakenly hiding missing 93-year-old man with dementia

What a sad situation:(.

The heartbreaking story his family tells of what led up to Bob leaving is one that is all-too familiar during the pandemic. His daughter-in-law, Kristi Gerard, said he was staying in a senior living facility, but felt trapped, because he couldn't have any visits from his family, so he went to stay at his son's home in Centralia.
"He is one that needs to be outside and walk around and get fresh air and loves fresh air. He loves gardening and he just got fed-up of being a prisoner in there, so he walked away from the facility. He went to my brother-in-law's and they cared for him for about a week and a half and we got some visits. He came out to our house, walked around. He was just overloaded from being on lockdown for so long. He just wanted to be out and about and free, so we were trying to get him into a new facility that was closer to our families and he'd seen that and he said, 'No, I'm not going.' He didn't want to be locked down again and with his dementia, he is so adamant about things that, you know, he just did not want to be locked up again,” said Kristi.
Centralia Police detectives say the day Bob disappeared he had walked to a neighbor’s home. That neighbor gave Bob a ride to the corner of W. Reynolds Ave. and N. Pearl St. Detectives say bob got dropped off there, because he noticed people he seemed to know, so the neighbor let him out. The Skookumchuck River is just east of there, but detectives say they've searched the river extensively with crews, bloodhounds, even drones.
They do not think he went into the river, but possibly is in someone's home who is mistakenly trying to help. "Our belief is that he got a ride somewhere and somebody is probably trying to do the right thing taking care of a 93-year-old man who's claiming that his family's out to get him, or after his money and if they're doing that, we just need to get in touch with Bob and make sure he's doing okay and we can move from there,” said Centralia Police Det. William Phipps.
Centralia Police seek help finding 93-year-old Bob Gerard who is missing
RSBBM

Oh, man. Dementia cases always fall near to my heart. My Dad’s is getting worse. If he went missing, I’d be beside myself with worry and concern. I wonder if there were places that Bob would go to enjoy the outdoors? I still think he could’ve easily fell into the water, and just maybe hasn’t surfaced yet. That’s just my opinion, and I hope it’s not true. I just want to hug this lil old man. Dementia is terrifying for the people who have it, but still have enough of their mind that they KNOW after an episode happens. It’s terrifying for the family and friends, too, but I can’t imagine being the actual person it’s happening to, how scary that would be. I’m praying they’ll find Bob. Maybe he went to a place that made him happy, and quietly had a heart attack and died, but hasn’t been found yet. I’d much rather he be alive, of course. All JMOO and IMO.

@StarEyes lovely post, dementia is terrible for the one that suffers from it and for family as well.
Makes me sad for everyone that tries to deal with it and keep their loved one safe.
My Pop had a few experiences with attempting to get somewhere unknown to us. It was terrifying !
I think that's why I hope there's a chance Bob is hanging out somewhere and can be located. But certainly agree with you on the river... And there's a lot or wooded areas as well. Hopefully the family has checked these places in there search . MOO

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
#MP72681

Robert Stanley Gerard
72681_357815.png 72681_355463.jpg

Date of Last Contact: July 6, 2020
Missing From: Centralia, Washington
Missing Age: 93 Years
Current Age: 93 Years
First Name: Robert
Middle Name: Stanley
Last Name: Gerard
Sex: Male
Height: 6' 0" (72 Inches)
Weight: 185 lbs
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian
Hair Color: White
Eye Color: Blue
Eye Description: Wears wire rimmed glasses

Circumstances of Disappearance
Robert went missing from his residence and was last seen on July 6 at about 6 p.m. at the intersection of West Reynolds Avenue and North Pearl Street.

Distinctive Physical Features
Navy type tattoo (possibly with "Ruby" on it) located on the right upper forearm below elbow (heavily faded and blurred)

Clothing and Accessories
Rose gold colored metal cane
White baseball hat; brown jacket; blue jeans
Romeo style shoes

Investigating Agencies
CASE OWNER
Centralia Police Department
(360) 330-7680
Agency Case Number: 20A07338
William Phipps, Detective

Staff online

Members online