GUILTY WA - Sarah Yarborough, 16, found deceased, Federal Way, 14 Dec 1991 *DNA arrest in 2019*

Wondering why it took from 2012 to 2019 for DNA to be uploaded to genealogical website. This makes me so xxxxxxx mad!

Uploading DNA to a genealogical website as a crime investigation technique is fairly new. I learned about this in a podcast concerning the Bear Brooks murders. It only just became an accepted technique within the last year or two, and probably does not have full national adoption yet.

Thursday, October 17th:
*Arraignment Hearing (@ am PT) – WA – Sarah Yarborough (16) (Dec. 14, 1991, Seattle) - *Patrick Leon Nicholas (55/27 @ time of crime) arrested (10/2/19) & charged (10/3/19) with 1st degree murder with sexual motivation & 2nd degree rape. $5M bond.
DNA from 2 cig butts matched DNA from crime scene.
10/3/19 Update: A breakthrough in the case came when a genealogist uploaded the crime scene DNA to a genealogy website. Nicholas’ DNA will be entered into CODIS and compared to DNA from other unsolved cases. Arraignment hearing on 10/17.

Man who found murder victim Sarah Yarborough in 1991 recalls suspect, scene

Oct 22, 2019

"Nearly 28 years ago, two 12-year-old boys discovered the murdered body of 16-year-old Sarah Yarborough near Federal Way High School.

Now that a suspect has been arrested, one of those now-grown witnesses sat down only with KIRO 7's Amy Chancy to share his experience

The suspect, Patrick Leon Nicholas, is now in jail. But back in 1991, the then-12-year-old helped police create a sketch of a man who police say was Nicholas.

"Seeing evil face to face like that and knowing that it's real and it's there -- that's a very scary thing to come to grips with," said the man, who asked KIRO 7 not to identify him because his own children still don't know about the trauma he experienced in December 1991...."

Man who found murder victim Sarah Yarborough in 1991 recalls suspect, scene

Covington man pleads not guilty in 1991 murder of Federal Way girl | Federal Way Mirror

A Covington man accused of murdering a 16-year-old Federal Way student nearly 30 years ago pleaded not guilty to the killing on Oct. 17.

Patrick Leon Nicholas, age 55, is scheduled for a case setting hearing Dec. 3 at the Maleng Regional Justice Center in Kent. His trial date is expected to be set within 60 days following that hearing, according to court documents.

@Legally Bland - wonder if you can access Washington's King County court site? Or if there is info on "what" happened at his arraignment last week?

TIA! :)
Sorry, I'm finding the court site a bit tricky and forgot to reply.

Good news with the guilty plea though. I'll have a look for the other case you asked about.

"We certainly would have solved it much sooner than we did," King County Sheriff's Office Detective Kathy Decker told KIRO 7 after she helped close the cold case.

"Knowing that the possibility was there in 2005, and knowing that 14-years passed, yeah, it's frustrating," retired Detective Tom Jensen added.

It wasn't until Oct. 2 of this year that 55-year old Patrick Leon Nicholas, of Covington, was arrested and charged in connection with Yarborough's murder based on a DNA match, according to court documents.

However, the three detectives claim a specific tool would have helped solve the cold case more than a decade earlier.

"It would have been basically instantaneous," retired Detective Jim Allen said.

The three crime fighters spoke only with KIRO 7's Amy Clancy because they want other victims statewide to have justice -- much earlier than the Yarborough family.
Wednesday at 5:30: Why isn't Washington using DNA tool to solve crimes?

Tuesday, December 3rd:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ am PT) – WA – Sarah Yarborough (16) (Dec. 14, 1991, Seattle) - *Patrick Leon Nicholas (55/27 @ time of crime) arrested (10/2/19), charged (10/3/19) & arraigned (10/17/19) with 1st degree murder with sexual motivation & 2nd degree rape. Plead not guilty. $5M bond.
DNA from 2 cig butts matched DNA from crime scene.
10/3/19 Update: A breakthrough in the case came when a genealogist uploaded the crime scene DNA to a genealogy website. Nicholas’ DNA will be entered into CODIS and compared to DNA from other unsolved cases. Arraignment hearing on 10/17.
10/17/19 Update: Plead not guilty. Next pretrial hearing on 12/3. His trial date is expected to be set within 60 days following that hearing.

@Legally Bland - I have your name for this case to look up for next court date.
TIA!
animated-smileys-christmas-033.gif

@Legally Bland - I have your name for this case to look up for next court date.
TIA!
animated-smileys-christmas-033.gif
Hi, I'm really sorry, but the King County Court site is literally just sending me round in circles. I've got the case number if anyone else can work it out: 219025552.

I can't find any MSM updates either.

Thank you for checking Legally Bland! Hopefully some will come to the rescue here! :)

97x32px-LL-40ad66f8_thanx.gif
KC007!

and....
104x71px-LL-ae429468_23k96hl.gif
to WS and this thread!

Are you from the area? Do you know Sarah or anyone associated with the case? Just call me nosy!
48x48px-LL-5c01b62f_smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-060.gif

edited to add: if you find the next court date - please post! As I can't get into King County court site....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?
Back