WA WA - Seattle, WhtFem 30-50, 159UFWA, alias 'Mary Anderson', copper IUD, breast surgery scars, Oct'96

Ha! My former partner in crime! How have you been? Ready to beat this case to the ground again?

Been looking through so many missing profiles lately, anything could be possible. I think as of now, we all need to really focus on getting Mary Anderson and her case more exposure online while searching missing profiles. I created her Facebook page yesterday and will be contacting the King County Medical Examiner again today since I never heard back from her in August 2010... and the fact the her case is still not in NamUs.

Also, I wish the Doe Network would remove that far right sketch in her case file page... it looks nothing like her!

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/159ufwa.html

I was poking around the the-seeker.com again and came across this. It doesn't contain a lot of useful information but the names a match :facepalm:

"I am looking for my cousin, Mary Ellen Anderson. She was born in Burlington, Vermont and should be about 48-54 years old now. She went to Europe to study for a bit and then joined the U.S. Navy as an officer. The only location I can remember her being while in the Navy was in California somewhere as, I think, a recruiting officer."

I looked into this and I wonder when it was posted. The listing doesn't say. And the contact is only by snail mail. But then, Mary Anderson was an alias, you never know, maybe she was known as "Mary Ellen."

Worth pursuing?

Here is one I found last night on Find Lost Ones for a Priscilla Hypes who is listed in the New York missing person section, It was listed in 2001 and updated 2004:

Priscilla Hypes (maiden name) was born in New York in the 1940s. Her mother was from Sweden and her father from New York. She visited family in Sweden as a child, always with her mother. I am her cousin living in California for 30 years. Her last known address to us was in Rochester, New York in the early 60's. I have not seen her since she was 18 years old. She is about 5'10" dark curly hair, brown eyes. She did go to college, but I don't know where on the east coast. Several of her cousins here and in Sweden are hoping we can find her.

We need everyone interested in this case to try and research as much as possible.
She had a family somewhere..maybe she left her family as a child?Or was abducted?That may be the reason she feels she has no family?

Ha! My former partner in crime! How have you been? Ready to beat this case to the ground again?

Been looking through so many missing profiles lately, anything could be possible. I think as of now, we all need to really focus on getting Mary Anderson and her case more exposure online while searching missing profiles. I created her Facebook page yesterday and will be contacting the King County Medical Examiner again today since I never heard back from her in August 2010... and the fact the her case is still not in NamUs.

Also, I wish the Doe Network would remove that far right sketch in her case file page... it looks nothing like her!

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/159ufwa.html
With you back onborad maybe some substantial information will turn up?
Also:
The picture on the Doe network, maybe you can tell them you composed a better picture? maybe they will use them?
Also; they do have a contact form on the website...:seeya:

We need everyone interested in this case to try and research as much as possible.
She had a family somewhere..maybe she left her family as a child?Or was abducted?That may be the reason she feels she has no family?

I agree, Websurfer. Not only research, but to really pass along the new Facebook page created for her. As of yesterday, I got several private messages on FB from people who had questions about the case and they re-posted her photos and the page link on their pages. People are starting to really stop and take the time to learn about the case.

I think the most important thing right now is to make her case known to the public as must as possible. As of the last two days, I have sent the FB page link to New York Missing persons, Arizona Missing Persons, and a few Unidentified, Unsolved, and Cold Case FB sites. A few of them have posted the link and info about the new page.

So if we could, together, as least share the link on a daily basis with others, that is still a huge step.

Facebook: The Case of Mary Anderson

I also think we need to re-group and come together and re-evaluate the case and Mary as an individual. I have being doing so the last couple days going back over my notes from summer 2010. I will post them in another post later.

I have scoured the Doe Network the past two days on missing females both in the U.S. and worldwide there is still no description or likeness found that is even remotely close to Mary Anderson.

With you back onborad maybe some substantial information will turn up?
Also:
The picture on the Doe network, maybe you can tell them you composed a better picture? maybe they will use them?
Also; they do have a contact form on the website...:seeya:

I wonder where they got that impression she looked like that? Did someone think Mary Anderson once looked like that? That she might have lost a lot of weight and might have been heavier than 240 lbs. at one time?

I just emailed the medical examiner who I talked with in August 2010 regarding the case... inquiring about the status of the case for NamUs.

Okay, I've been studying my notes on the case I had made back in the summer of 2010. There are some things I now perceive differently and theoretically since that time.

In my notes after visiting the Seattle Weekly office from doing my research on the October 2 and October 9, 1996 editions, I had thought that the edition Mary Anderson had in her room with the pressed maple leaf resting on top was the October 2, 1996 issue. The reason being is that the October 9th issue was a special "home and garden" edition with a lot of home decor advertisements.

But looking through the copies I made of both editions, I now believe that Mary Anderson probably had the October 9th home and garden edition instead, and because it was the latest issue when she arrived at the hotel on the same date. Why? Because of the article in that issue titled, "Color My World," that has a colorful photo of a Sugar Maple tree. Perhaps her fondness for maple trees made a connection with that article and her pressed maple leaf (or leaves).

SEATTLE WEEKLY - October 9, 1996

And after looking at my notes, the Seattle Weekly employee who was assisting me that day said the weekly newspaper in 1996 was available far north as Bellingham and far south as Tacoma and some suburban areas on the eastside and westside of Seattle. When I asked if it was possible that she picked up the paper at the Sea-Tac International Airport, he said stated it was not available there at that time. With that, if Mary Anderson had came into downtown Seattle by via Sea-Tac airport, she would have had to have stopped somewhere along her cab ride within the paper's distribution region areas to pick up the paper. If she was in a cab (that dropped her off at the hotel) why would she take the time to stop, especially with a running meter? So it is quite possible that Mary Anderson did not fly into Sea-Tac airport, unless she flew in days earlier and settled into downtown Seattle elsewhere, such as another hotel and then ventured up to Hotel Vintage Park with the reservation for room 214... and picked up the October 9th issue before or along the way.

Or it's quite possible still she had arrived by train or ferry. And if by ferry, it could have been from any of the numerous ferry terminals... INCLUDING the ferries Victoria Clipper or the Princess Marguerite III, in which the latter ran until 1999. Both vessels traveled to and from Seattle and Victoria BC, Canada through the beautiful San Juan Islands of Washington State. So if Mary Anderson came from Canada, she would have been able to pick up the October 9th edition at the Seattle pier for these two vessels.

Children: The autopsy of Mary Anderson showed that she never had children physically; biologically. But what if she had been married (hence the Cobalt blue Himalaya Outfitters jacket from Causal Male's Big & Tall brand that may have belonged to a man) and she could have have an adopted child or children? Perhaps stepchildren? And if this husband had passed on, maybe she or the stepchild decided not pursue a relationship and they went their own ways?

I also now have a new theory that whenever and where ever she came from, she may have purposely changed her hair color, style, and makeup scheme while out in public those days leading up to the time of her death. It's possible that she deliberately did this to make herself unrecognizable.

And looking over the facts of this case again, I think our biggest clues are:

• The request and reservation of room 214 (personal & emotional attachment)
  • The Men's Cobalt blue Himalaya Outfitters jacket
  • The high maintenance of cosmetic application and hair brushing before death. (Why?)
  • The use of cyanide
  • The statement from the suicide note: "You can use my body as you choose."

Another thing we have not learned is... when she checked into the hotel, did she stay in her hotel room those two days? Or did she venture out downtown sometime before her death?

Room 214 - Feb 14th? Valentines Day?

Cannot find the type of maple leaf found in Mary's room - could be useful as far as locations where that tree is found. The article dated 6 October 2005 (page 2, post #30) states in the last line - '.. a blanket of fallen maples leaves carpets Mary's grave.'
Could Mary have known where she would ultimately be laid to rest (by the state) given the location where she died?

Considering 'Mary's' intent, it's interesting that her clothing was found hanging in the closet. Unfortunately, so was 'Lyle Stevik.'

Room 214 - Feb 14th? Valentines Day?

Cannot find the type of maple leaf found in Mary's room - could be useful as far as locations where that tree is found. The article dated 6 October 2005 (page 2, post #30) states in the last line - '.. a blanket of fallen maples leaves carpets Mary's grave.'
Could Mary have known where she would ultimately be laid to rest (by the state) given the location where she died?

Considering 'Mary's' intent, it's interesting that her clothing was found hanging in the closet. Unfortunately, so was 'Lyle Stevik.'

Woodland–you might be onto something with room 214. Perhaps Mary Anderson and her companion spent Valentines Day there at one time or another. Yes, I, too, have noticed that last sentence when I re-read the Seattle P.I. article.

It's very well likely that she could have researched the possible procedures and areas where King County put unclaimed and unidentified persons. Crown Hill Cemetery looks very small on the map. I have never been there, but the Ballard area that it's in is near the University District (University of Washington) neighborhood and both have lots of beautiful Maple trees and looks gorgeous in the Fall. And I can see some Maple trees in Crown Hill's photos in their website: http://crownhillcemetery.us/

But then again, here's the new issue... from my re-evaluation of the case. She had stated on the suicide note: "You can use my body as you choose." As another poster before mentioned, what did she mean by that? Was she telling the authorities you can bury or cremate me? Or was she speaking "medically" or for "scientific" reasons for study? Because the strange phrasing sounds like the latter two.

So if that was the case, she wouldn't have known if, when, or where she would be buried, cremated, or studied. If she was dealing with cyanide and that intelligent to do so, I then can't imagine she was insinuating or referring to having her organs donated, especially since the organs would be permanently damaged from the cyanide.

Is she was referring to being buried or cremated, I think a person would say so in a more simple and general way such as: "You may dispose of me however you wish." or something along similar wording.

All in all, I think we're onto something from your post. Thanks and keep it coming.

Author Mary Anderson lives/lived in Manhattan - same as the street address given by the UID - 132 East Third Street, New York. This author has a number of books dealing with family, relationships, shared experiences/hardships just as Joyce Carol Oates does in 'You Must Remember This'.

Woodland-

I meant to ask you about this in my reply to your post the first time...

Where did you find this author by the name of Mary Anderson? And she has or had the same address as our UID Mary gave?

I did a search and couldn't find anything except for author Mary Anderson in New York who writes children's and young adult mystery novels.

Mary Anderson (author) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The attached article is an interview with author Mary Anderson. In the first reply by MA, second paragraph, she states '... I've lived in Manhattan all my life ...'

http://www.iambik.com/author-mary-anderson-is-the-catcher-in-the-rye-a-ya-book-yes-and-no/

Apologies for my previous wording - was not implying author MA lived at 132 East Third Street, NY - only that she lived in Manhattan where that address is located.

Ah, yes, I found this online when I last posted. Same author. I understand about the address now. Thanks.

Umm... did you see the photo of the author? In an uncanny way, she resembles our UID Mary Anderson!

http://www.iambik.com/authors/mary-anderson/

Actually, Springfield, Hampden County, MA has zip code 01103.

Here is an amendment to the re-evaluation; see bottom:

• The high maintenance of cosmetic application and hair brushing before death. (Why?)
  • The use of cyanide

• On October 9, 1996, the weather that day was a record 80 degrees and the highest it's ever been on that date. It would be a little warm for wearing velour outfits and traveling with gloves and Himalayan Outfitter jackets.

When it's nice like that in Seattle, it gets HOT, fast, especially if you're nowhere near the water as the hotel was up on the hill on 5th Avenue.

That might mean Mary Anderson was not from the Pacific Northwest region because she would have dressed accordingly to the warm weather that week, especially for that day. And because of that, it sounds like her trip to Seattle was planned quickly at the last minute from somewhere else.

I wonder if Seattle or WA has any particular laws involving Jane/John Does? For example, maybe their laws are more relaxed so that they can easily dispose of their bodies whereas another state or city has a longer wait period.

Okay, I've been studying my notes on the case I had made back in the summer of 2010. There are some things I now perceive differently and theoretically since that time.

In my notes after visiting the Seattle Weekly office from doing my research on the October 2 and October 9, 1996 editions, I had thought that the edition Mary Anderson had in her room with the pressed maple leaf resting on top was the October 2, 1996 issue. The reason being is that the October 9th issue was a special "home and garden" edition with a lot of home decor advertisements.

But looking through the copies I made of both editions, I now believe that Mary Anderson probably had the October 9th home and garden edition instead, and because it was the latest issue when she arrived at the hotel on the same date. Why? Because of the article in that issue titled, "Color My World," that has a colorful photo of a Sugar Maple tree. Perhaps her fondness for maple trees made a connection with that article and her pressed maple leaf (or leaves).

SEATTLE WEEKLY - October 9, 1996

And after looking at my notes, the Seattle Weekly employee who was assisting me that day said the weekly newspaper in 1996 was available far north as Bellingham and far south as Tacoma and some suburban areas on the eastside and westside of Seattle. When I asked if it was possible that she picked up the paper at the Sea-Tac International Airport, he said stated it was not available there at that time. With that, if Mary Anderson had came into downtown Seattle by via Sea-Tac airport, she would have had to have stopped somewhere along her cab ride within the paper's distribution region areas to pick up the paper. If she was in a cab (that dropped her off at the hotel) why would she take the time to stop, especially with a running meter? So it is quite possible that Mary Anderson did not fly into Sea-Tac airport, unless she flew in days earlier and settled into downtown Seattle elsewhere, such as another hotel and then ventured up to Hotel Vintage Park with the reservation for room 214... and picked up the October 9th issue before or along the way.

Or it's quite possible still she had arrived by train or ferry. And if by ferry, it could have been from any of the numerous ferry terminals... INCLUDING the ferries Victoria Clipper or the Princess Marguerite III, in which the latter ran until 1999. Both vessels traveled to and from Seattle and Victoria BC, Canada through the beautiful San Juan Islands of Washington State. So if Mary Anderson came from Canada, she would have been able to pick up the October 9th edition at the Seattle pier for these two vessels.

Children: The autopsy of Mary Anderson showed that she never had children physically; biologically. But what if she had been married (hence the Cobalt blue Himalaya Outfitters jacket from Causal Male's Big & Tall brand that may have belonged to a man) and she could have have an adopted child or children? Perhaps stepchildren? And if this husband had passed on, maybe she or the stepchild decided not pursue a relationship and they went their own ways?

I also now have a new theory that whenever and where ever she came from, she may have purposely changed her hair color, style, and makeup scheme while out in public those days leading up to the time of her death. It's possible that she deliberately did this to make herself unrecognizable.

• The use of cyanide

Another thing we have not learned is... when she checked into the hotel, did she stay in her hotel room those two days? Or did she venture out downtown sometime before her death?

This reminds of Kurt Cobain. To this day people wonder why he killed himself even though the answer is simple. Anyways, suicidal people seldom do rational things. I don't think Mary left 'clues' to her identity behind, at least not intentionally. She seemed to have gone to great lengths to hide her identity.
I also do not think she was married and I don't think she had any step-children. In fact, I don't think she had any family left. If she did, they would have looked for her. I think she hid her identity because she was ashamed that she didn't have anyone.
From what I understand, she appeared to be Jewish. I know a thing or two about Jewish people and a lot of Jewish women do not marry nor do they have kids. They focus more on their career. I think she was a career woman who retired (relatively) young and realized that the best years were behind her.

I also do not think she was married and I don't think she had any step-children. In fact, I don't think she had any family left. If she did, they would have looked for her. I think she hid her identity because she was ashamed that she didn't have anyone.

This paragraph is probably spot-on. I hadn't previously considered this, but it seems very likely in this case. But, this makes it much more difficult to find her true identity.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xobehtedistuO
Back