WA WA - Seattle, WhtFem 30-50, 159UFWA, alias 'Mary Anderson', copper IUD, breast surgery scars, Oct'96

Websurfer and I have really pounded the pavement this week with this case, sharing notes, and combing through a list of POSSIBLES. As of today, I contacted the King County Medical Examiner's Office requesting that they put the case info on NamUs. It would be extremely helpful, and answer at least some questions concerning the case, like Mary's belongings described or shown in detail, and to keep track of any updates.

We also wrote and presented this case to Dateline NBC (emailed, snail mailed, and online too).

Okay, Websurfer and I got a whole lot more done today. Here is what we found out, along with some info that might be clues as to where Mary might be from or her nationality:

-- Mary Anderson's cobalt blue Himalaya Outfitters jacket is a mens jacket that was made back in the mid 90's, and the product name from Causal Male’s Big & Tall brand. It's possible that the jacket could have belonged to a deceased lover; a son, or her father. An obvious emotional attachment.

-- The Maple Leaf (or Leaves): = Lovers, not Canada.

-A maple blossom in Japanese culture is considered 'the plant of the lovers, and is given as a "valentine.”

-It is also the flower of October.

-The U.S. city of Carthage, Missouri, is nicknamed "America's Maple Leaf City."

-The Italian city of Campobasso was known as the "Maple Leaf City", since during the Second World War the Canadian troops invaded the city and freed it from the Germans. Moreover the city has a huge variety of maples which can be found even in the streets.

-The mascot of Goshen College in Goshen, Indiana, is the Maple Leaf and the nickname for Goshen College sports teams is the Maple Leafs.

-In Estonia, inexperienced drivers are obliged to have a green maple leaf sign visible on the vehicle, serving a similar function that a P-plate does in some other countries.

-The maple leaf is also the coat of arms of Sammatti, Finland.

-The city of Hornell, New York is known as "The Maple City".

-In China and Japan the Maple Leaf is an emblem of lovers. North American settlers used to place the Maple leaves at the foot of their beds to ward off demons and encourage sexual pleasure as well as peaceful sleep. Also in the North American region, the stork can be observed weaving Maple branches in nests - as such, the Maple became a symbol of the love found in welcoming a new child in the home. Just as the sweet, rich sap produces Maple syrup, so too does the Maple leaves serve as a love symbol as they depict the sweetness and wonder of love in every day life.

If Mary had a lover, was he Asian?

I also found an interesting article from The Seattle Times from October 9, 1996. There was a pipe-bomb scare early in the morning at the old federal court house on 5th Avenue, across the street and only a few feet away from Hotel Vintage Park. It states that 5th Avenue was closed. That means the front of the hotel was blocked and where the cab would have dropped her off that day. The street was re-opened at 11:45 a.m. Because of this, I take it Mary arrived after the time of the incident.

Suspicious Pipe Found Near Federal Courthouse

Seattle Times - Printed Evening Edition October 9, 1996; updated 10/10/96:
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19961010&slug=2353602

... and some theories we believe about Mary...

-- Mary could have been a traveling business or sales woman in the cosmetics industry, or a salon beautician. Perhaps a former Estee' Lauder employee. It's quite possible that all the cosmetics in her possession could have been purchased with an employee discount since all the products were of the same brand.

-- Mary could have suffered from amnesia, and didn’t know if she had any family or not.

-- Mary’s death could have been an assisted suicide. The person helping her could have acquired the cyanide for her. The person could have, or not have, been with her at the time of her death.

-- Mary could have been a “well-taken care of” mistress of a local, married, Seattle man who died. He may have financially supported Mary through the years, and after his death, she decided to end her life.

-- The form of cyanide she used was probably “Potassium Cyanide” for a quick and painless death.

-- Mary’s case could be related to the Seattle Russian spies case that took place not far from the hotel on Capital Hill (June 2010).

-- It’s possible that Mary could have been an orphan or adopted, and felt she did not have family.

Also...

Could this missing person be Mary Anderson? She used various aliases, and her initials are M.A. She was also not reported for several years, and very little is known about her, and her disappearance. She has the same height, hair, and could have gained some weight through the years. She is listed in NamUs:

MARY CORRINE AMOS
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/amos_mary.html

I did a photo reconstruction if she looked slightly older.

Attachments

• MARY_CORRINE_AMOS.jpg
    MARY_CORRINE_AMOS.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Mary Anderson.jpg
    Mary Anderson.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 67
Here are the latest photos comparisons of MARY CORRINE AMOS with MARY ANDERSON, along with a new photo reconstruction possibility.

Attachments

• Comparisons.jpg
    Comparisons.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 184
I have only skimmed through this case and post so please keep that in mind.

I was scanning doe network and seen this lady and had to add her to this thread. It mentions that she was ill and i seen that mentioned a few times in this post. Also, she has red hair. I don't know if the time line or anything else match up but I had to put her here to see what everyone else thought.

I am new to this so please forgive my mistakes and or errors.

I couldn't figure out how to link her information.

The Doe Network:
Case File 885DFTX

Bettye Jo Hart
Missing since September 11, 1985 from Grapevine, Tarrant County, Texas.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: February 1, 1931
Age at Time of Disappearance: 54 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'10" (178 cm.); 110 lbs. (50 kg.)
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Red hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: She has surgical scars on her abdomen. Missing gallbladder; missing utarus. Partial bilroth.
Medical Conditions: She is known to suffer from leukemia, acute anemia, and bleeding ulcers.
Clothing: She was last seen wearing a purple blouse and purple slacks.
Jewlery: Bettye Jo was last seen wearing a white gold ring with multiple diamonds (approximate weight of 3 carats).
Dentals: Available. Crowded lower anterior tooth.
DNA: Available
AKA: Betty Horn; Betty J. Lindsay; Betty J. Walker; B.J. Walker; Jo Hart; Betty Horn Hart
Other: Blood type A Positive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Bettye was last seen at her residence in the company of Garry V. Kirkland.
She was reported missing by a relative later that day. There were no signs of foul play and nothing was missing from Bettye Jo's home, including her vehicle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Grapevine Police Department
817-410-8127
Or
Texas Missing Persons Clearinghouse (toll-free)
800-346-3243

Agency Case Number: 85-35588

NCIC Number: M-179443675

NamUs MP # 7905

**snipped from doe network**

Ok, folks. I just got back from The Seattle Weekly office. They were really nice and extremely helpful, and they even made free copies of all the articles that I thought stood out. I held the actual hard copy editions that Mary Anderson could have had in her hotel room.

I'm starting to believe she had the October 2, 1996 edition instead of the October 9th edition. It may have some leads in that edition instead of the 9th issue (which was a special home and garden edition). One article in the 10/02 edition mentions a lady named, Mary, whose husband (and his gold, silver, platinum, and jewelry business) was in deep financial trouble. She states in the article that she had no place to go and live, and had no money. I thought about the Mary name, and then the jeweler connection which = access to cyanide.

I have to download all my photos, copies, and notes, and put them in a pdf. Just me give a day or two to post. Also, the SW staff person told me that no LE had never come by to research these newspaper editions since Mary's death.

They also told me the facts about the weekly circulation of the paper that may give clues to where Mary was from, and where she came from before she arrived at the hotel... I will include this in my notes.

Before my research, I ate at Tulio, the restaurant in the same building. My previous post (#106) with the hotel photo I took, explaining Mary's arrival was incorrect. The door I thought was the hotel entrance was the main door to Tulio.

The attached photo is correct and makes much more sense about Mary's arrival.

Attachments

• Hotel_Vintage_ParkV2.jpg
    Hotel_Vintage_ParkV2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 135
Another possible. She was 46 in 1996. 5'6"-5'7", reddish-brown hair, possibly suicidal when she went missing in 1983.

Marilyn Ann Neely

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1197dfon.html

01117_Image_2_L.jpg

Wow Kodiak, great research!! I can't wait to see the article about the jewelers!

Ok, folks. I just got back from The Seattle Weekly office. They were really nice and extremely helpful, and they even made free copies of all the articles that I thought stood out. I held the actual hard copy editions that Mary Anderson could have had in her hotel room.

I'm starting to believe she had the October 2, 1996 edition instead of the October 9th edition. It may have some leads in that edition instead of the 9th issue (which was a special home and garden edition). One article in the 10/02 edition mentions a lady named, Mary, whose husband (and his gold, silver, platinum, and jewelry business) was in deep financial trouble. She states in the article that she had no place to go and live, and had no money. I thought about the Mary name, and then the jeweler connection which = access to cyanide.

I have to download all my photos, copies, and notes, and put them in a pdf. Just me give a day or two to post. Also, the SW staff person told me that no LE had never come by to research these newspaper editions since Mary's death.

They also told me the facts about the weekly circulation of the paper that may give clues to where Mary was from, and where she came from before she arrived at the hotel... I will include this in my notes.

Before my research, I ate at Tulio, the restaurant in the same building. My previous post (#106) with the hotel photo I took, explaining Mary's arrival was incorrect. The door I thought was the hotel entrance was the main door to Tulio.

The attached photo is correct and makes much more sense about Mary's arrival.

bbm

Great work. I read that article and there are still some available online.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19960728&slug=2341432

I did some research after reading the 10/2/96 article, "the poet's last words." Russian-Jewish poet, Joseph Brodsky died in January 1996. He once was married to an artist named Marina Basmanova in the early 60's.

"In his poems Brodsky often compared different substances to the sea: himself, speech, but most often – time. His favorite formula was “fate is time with a mixture of geography” and he often spoke about “the city at the sea.” In Brodsky’s mind, water was the supreme element; and the sea his favorite form of water.

Three cities and their seas shared and shaped the poetry of Joseph Brodsky: St. Petersburg, New York and Venice."
http://rt.com/Russia_Now/Russiapedia/Those_Russians/bjoseph_brodsky_.html

Hey guys -- more good news concerning Mary Anderson's case.

I just received an email tonight from the Forensic Anthropologist at the King County Medical Examiner's Office here in Seattle. She was responding to my email I sent them this last week. First, she wanted to thank everyone here on WS for their interest and efforts in Mary Anderson's case.

Second... she said that they are in the process of getting all their unidentifieds into NamUs.
And, that she is "happy," to make Mary Anderson the first NamUs entry when they get to the data entry stage.

Third... she told me not hesitate to call or email her, that she will do her best to answer my inquiries with information that can be released.

I think this is some exciting news for the case. There are a lot of questions we can now get answered, and get facts verified and ruled out. I will either email my questions back, or give her a call tomorrow.

For the NamUs listing, I will make the request for a specific, itemized listing of Mary's belongings, and will ask if they could photograph them as well. If there any questions, any of you want me to ask her, please don't hesitate to do so.

We got the ball rolling, guys.
:dance:

I am thrilled to see so many new posts on this Jane Doe, and progress being made here.

Whoever spotted that photo of the deceased, thanks. I had not seen that one.

Did anyone look at that photo closely? It appears this UID had a wart or growth on her right nostril. That should be a good aid in spotting a match or eliminating one. Not sure why no one's included that in the drawings of her. It is very clearly there on photo enlargement.

I am thrilled to see so many new posts on this Jane Doe, and progress being made here.

Whoever spotted that photo of the deceased, thanks. I had not seen that one.

Did anyone look at that photo closely? It appears this UID had a wart or growth on her right nostril. That should be a good aid in spotting a match or eliminating one. Not sure why no one's included that in the drawings of her. It is very clearly there on photo enlargement.
Very observant justthinkin! I was wondering if anyone would notice. Each time there is another version of what one thinks is the best artistic rendition, the unidentified looses out. With so many versions, it is hard to tell who we are looking for. That is why it is so important to keep postmortem photos accessible. BTW, there is a similar mark but smaller (mole-like) under l nostril on the Washoe Doe but like many of her markings it is not mentioned or is smoothed out.
Great find!!:twocents:

I made a request for a higher-res image of that postmortem photo when I contacted the KCMEO Forensic Anthologist yesterday, and to please include it in NamUs.

The Forensic Anthologist is the same person mentioned in the Todd Matthews article.

Long time lurker, I apologize if this is been mentioned, I have read thru everything. In the newspaper for October 2, there is an article that mentions letters troubled and forgotten, their is reference to a Rick Anderson(the name probably means nothing) the article is very interesting in the fact that maybe this woman was released from Western State Hospital and had no place to go and no one to retrieve her. Just a guess and probably way off. Love the dedication everyone on here has.

Long time lurker, I apologize if this is been mentioned, I have read thru everything. In the newspaper for October 2, there is an article that mentions letters troubled and forgotten, their is reference to a Rick Anderson(the name probably means nothing) the article is very interesting in the fact that maybe this woman was released from Western State Hospital and had no place to go and no one to retrieve her. Just a guess and probably way off. Love the dedication everyone on here has.

That was the first article I saw when I held that very issue in my hand. It could very well be the page that Mary Anderson left the maple leaf on. Rick Anderson is a SEATTLE WEEKLY reporter. He wrote the Rhyne artricle in the same issue.

But in this column, mentioning a Mr. Gordon Enbusk, and the title and date of the article the social worker was referring to, I went through the hard copy archives and found that issue, but for the life of me, I could not find that article in the edition, unless it was the wrong date listed for the article.

But, since the SW online archive now only goes back to 1997, it appears that Rick Anderson had been following the Gordon Enbusk story in 1998:

Gordon Enbusk:

Cruel and Unusual Therapy

By Rick Anderson Wednesday, Dec 23 1998
http://www.seattleweekly.com/1998-12-23/news/cruel-and-unusual-therapy/

Western State Hospital:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_State_Hospital_(Washington_State)

http://www.dshs.wa.gov/mhsystems/wsh.shtml

Here are the pdf files from my Seattle Weekly Research. For some reason the thread wouldn't let me upload them, so they are linked to my online file server:

Part 1: SEATTLE WEEKLY - October 2, 1996
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/22/1006707/SEATTLE_WEEKLY_RESEARCH_Part_1.pdf

Part 2: SEATTLE WEEKLY - October 9, 1996
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/22/1006707/SEATTLE_WEEKLY_RESEARCH_Part_2.pdf

This was the one I read it in, please forgive my ignorance, I thought the contents were from the 1996 edition of October 2 1996. I am learning and I guess always been afraid to post because I did not want to look like an idiot, but I guess that is how we learn.

This was the one I read it in, please forgive my ignorance, I thought the contents were from the 1996 edition of October 2 1996. I am learning and I guess always been afraid to post because I did not want to look like an idiot, but I guess that is how we learn.

tierneysain --

No worries. You're right though about the 10/02/96 contents; that's where the Rick Anderson/Gordon Enbusk column article is from.

Maybe it would not be a total waste of time if her picture was sent to the hospital to see if anyone recognizes her. But I guess the same could apply to anything in the paper, probably just a long shot. I feel bad this women would think no one knowing her would not care if she died, and here total strangers care for her.

Maybe it would not be a total waste of time if her picture was sent to the hospital to see if anyone recognizes her. But I guess the same could apply to anything in the paper, probably just a long shot. I feel bad this women would think no one knowing her would not care if she died, and here total strangers care for her.

I was thinking the same thing. Her photo too should be sent to Estee' Lauder's corporate office. She may have been a worker of theirs that was laid off. It would explain why she had all EL cosmetics. In fact, from my research, there is an Estee Lauder office branch here in the Seattle area, located in Renton, WA. Not sure though if it was around in 1996 at the time of her death.

She could have had a job just like this one:

Retail Sales Associate - Estee Lauder Beauty Advisor - Seattle, WA
http://www.jobisjob.com/seattle/hms...wa-98158/job-offer-wmosaprglajzz7xdxgp6imo3le

http://jobview.monster.com/Retail-S...eauty-Advisor-Job-Seattle-WA-US-90125633.aspx

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz
Back