WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm familiar with this area. I really don't get this whole thing. I had been reading and listening to local news, should have known WS would be on top of it!

I don't understand how she ended up where she did. She had to have left the diner on Martin Way and headed down State St. If you're not in the far left lane, you're going to miss Plum street and the exit to I-5. She must have been in the right lane and gone right down East Bay Dr., correct?

Also don't understand how she ended up at the diner on Martin Way to begin with. When you exit I-5 in Lacey there are many places to eat. You have to travel a ways down Martin Way to get to this diner.

Breanna, She was on the west side at the Handy Pantry (way out on Division) before she ever even went to the Martin Way diner. I just don't get this.

I'm thinking she came down 101 from Shelton area, got off on the Mud Bay exit, went down Harrison and for some reason turned on Division to get to the Handy Pantry (which is strange to start with considering she would have passed Safeway and how many other grocery stores/gas stations to get to Division). After leaving the Handy Pantry she got back on Harrison/4th and decided for whatever reason to stop at the diner.

Breanna, She was on the west side at the Handy Pantry (way out on Division) before she ever even went to the Martin Way diner. I just don't get this.

Ok. I know where that's at. You are right. I don't get it either.

Her whole route makes no sense whatsoever.

A woman heading to her stepfather's house was "beyond lost" when she and her 8-year-old son took one wrong turn after another through the backroads of Thurston County and onto a private Puget Sound beach, authorities said Monday.
The minivan driven by Shantina Smiley, 29, was found partially submerged Sunday with its doors open. A wallet containing Smiley driver's license, some cash and credit cards were found in the van, but neither she nor her son was anywhere in sight.

"Apparently she got stuck and abandoned the car," said Lt. Chris Mealy of the county sheriff's office. There was no indication that a crime took place inside the 2005 Dodge Caravan, he added.

Detectives have traced Smiley's path from her home in Silverdale to the far reaches of Thurston County, more than 50 miles north of her stepfather's house in Castle Rock in Cowlitz County and far from any road that would have led her there.

http://www.examiner.com/a-2528277~Woman__son_missing_after_van_found_on_Wash__beach.html

I hope someone didn't deliberately give her bad directions, telling her it was a shortcut.

"
The homeowners said she acted nervous because she was lost," Mealy said. She was not injured but spoke of an accident, which investigators believe may have been a reference to falling down at the diner.

Mealy said that as she left the home, Smiley made another series of driving errors that eventually led her to a hard-to-find dirt path and driving onto the beach.

http://www.examiner.com/a-2528277~Woman__son_missing_after_van_found_on_Wash__beach.html

I don't get good vibes with that statement.

Video of them in a gas station. http://www.komonews.com/news/87713417.html

IMHO, she looks disoriented. Not to in ANY way disparage the child, but he appears old enough to go find help, make a call, swim, walk to the nearest house, etc. Seems like, if he were able, he could do something to help get them out of any situation they were in. I'm wondering, if she were severely injured from her fall....what would cause HIM to be unable to help out his mom, or go get help from someone else. Praying for this family!

My hinky meter is going off when aimed at the fiance.. he was way to quick to post his "alibi" on the internets (MOO).
I don't think he is directly involved.. but I think he is involved. (again MOO)

Video of them in a gas station. http://www.komonews.com/news/87713417.html

IMHO, she looks disoriented. Not to in ANY way disparage the child, but he appears old enough to go find help, make a call, swim, walk to the nearest house, etc. Seems like, if he were able, he could do something to help get them out of any situation they were in. I'm wondering, if she were severely injured from her fall....what would cause HIM to be unable to help out his mom, or go get help from someone else. Praying for this family!

I said that as well in an earlier post, that the boy would be able to get some type of help if he could.

Wow at first when I came on the board tonight I saw the word "found" and I thought they were found then I re-read it and saw it was car found and then I realized that they had NOT been found....how sad

I saw the pictures and the videos....she seems to be a really nice responsible woman, and you can see how worried the family is....

from what I see I really think she had some sort of mini stroke or ? brain aneuryism or ? whatever you might call it..maybe concussion?

she does look OK in the pictures...smiling even....it is easy to say now that people should have called police but really how do you stop an adult and call police and what would you say?? The people at the diner did NOT see her fall, they only saw that on the camera

I wonder if she had a car accident earlier?? or maybe had ? whatever?? a stroke??

Maybe they are wandering around, lost?? I would hope their scouting would help.....I hope they have helicopters up there searching...maybe she has collapsed and her little boy is staying with her but how long can they survive?? How cold is it??

I also get a bad feeling when I look at that cold dark lake..that looks cold and scary....and big

I do wonder if one of them was drowning and the other tried to help or?? I don't know that part of the country (I live in Florida) and I don't know how cold it is there or how the water is ?? Hypothermia or ?? Just not good

from what I see I really think she had some sort of mini stroke or ? brain aneuryism or ? whatever you might call it..maybe concussion?

she does look OK in the pictures...smiling even....it is easy to say now that people should have called police but really how do you stop an adult and call police and what would you say?? The people at the diner did NOT see her fall, they only saw that on the camera

I wonder if she had a car accident earlier?? or maybe had ? whatever?? a stroke??

Maybe they are wandering around, lost?? I would hope their scouting would help.....I hope they have helicopters up there searching...maybe she has collapsed and her little boy is staying with her but how long can they survive?? How cold is it??

I also get a bad feeling when I look at that cold dark lake..that looks cold and scary....and big

I do wonder if one of them was drowning and the other tried to help or?? I don't know that part of the country (I live in Florida) and I don't know how cold it is there or how the water is ?? Hypothermia or ?? Just not good

I agree, it looks like she may have had some kind of head injury. She did not look right.

It has been relatively nice (i.e. not raining!) over the past few days - today was balmy by Puget Sound standards - but it's still pretty chilly at night. Not freezing but I would not want to be out in the elements.

That "lake" is part of Puget Sound, it is COLD (upper 40s) and you would not want to be in that water. They would not survive very long. :(

Looking at the Google map, you can see there are many houses nearby - nearly all of the beachfront in Puget Sound is populated - but there is also a large wooded area to the south. She may well be there. It looks large enough for someone to "get lost in."

Nothing about this makes sense, including the bf who was expecting to leave 2 hours after them, but ended up leaving 15 minutes later. Wouldn't he have caught up with them, or at least tried to?

And once finding them since I can't imagine that being too hard on I-5, wouldn't they have stayed within eyeshot of each other?

Having done this before - or tried to, I should say - it isn't very easy in general. 15 minutes is a long time to try to catch up with someone, even if you are going on the same roads.

I-5 is a very busy Interstate - it's basically the North-South corridor along the West Coast.

It looks as if her bf and her have been together for awhile. I looked at her MS photos and it looks like her child and his child (I'm assuming) are posed in front of the same Christmas tree and also making cookies with her. The pics were in a folder titled "Christmas 2008"

They met online and she moved from castle rock to be closer to him. I will have to find the arrive for reference. Brb.

I wonder if there was something else that caused her to fall, and that is the underlying problem. Like low blood sugar, made her feel confused so she stopped to eat, then fell...possibly became embarrassed and left?, went to use phone, and got turned around again.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/87713417.html?skipthumb=Y

Silas smith- Smileys Step grand father seems very concerned.

BBM - I agree, I wondered the same thing...

Twitter update

nothing new. I can't sleep or eat. Dad and Travis are sleeping though. Talking to KISW tommorow and good morning america I believe about 7 hours ago via web

ETA: she says her mom is not diabetic.

Saw this on the news last night. I wonder when she ordered the food at the diner she realized she didn't have her wallet with her so she went into her car and couldn't find it, embarrased, they left???

Hoping they are found today. Very puzzling. Where the heck are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa