Identified! WA - Snohomish Cty, Male UP 13502, 50-65, Jan 2015, Mill Creek Shed - Nathaniel Terrance Deggs

taramarie

Reaction score
Wanted to post this UID, as he currently needs funding with the DNA Doe Project to complete DNA sequencing. Link below for more information & donation information. Please help him get his name back!

http://cases.dnadoeproject.org/mesmerize/mill-creek-shed-man/

NamUs UP # 13502 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/13502

Unidentified Male, African American
Found on January 11, 2015 in Mill Creek, Washington
Estimated date of death 2013-2014, 12 months prior

Vital Stats:
Height: 71" (5'11")
Weight: Cannot estimate
Distinctive Characteristics: Missing right little finger, prominent sternal fissure, healed nasal fracture, lumbar scoliosis, arthritis

Clothing on body:
Tan pants "Banana Republic" Stretch brand, size 8L. Pair of heavy "wool" dark-colored socks.

Clothing with body:
Tan Plaid flannel long sleeve button-down shirt "Eddie Bauer" brand, size M.
Black short sleeve t-shirt with a high turtleneck style collar, "Forrester's" Size XL" made with X-Static silver fiber" and an emblem of "Rodda Paints" on the left sleeve.

Circumstances:
Unidentified decomposed male found in a shed in an overgrown area of Mill Creek, Washington. The decedent appears to be African American, 50 - 65 years of age. A specific male (Jerry Deggs or Jerry Diggs) was known to have lived at this address for many years prior, however the subject area is known for transients.

Body Condition:
Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton

Identifiers:
Fingerprints: Available elsewhere
Dentals: Available - Dental information / charting is available and entered
DNA: Sample submitted - Tests complete

Update from DDP:

The second round of DNA sequencing for Belle in the Well has come in and we have uploaded the new data to GEDMatch. This is giving us better clarity and confidence in what we are seeing, and the potential for additional DNA cousins who might help us get closer to finding Belle's immediate family. Thanks to all of you who generously donated for this round of sequencing!
The second round for Mill Creek Shed Man should be ready for us in the next week or so.

So excited for this! He seems very new for DDP though. But I’m excited :)

Bump for Jerry. Looks like DDP still needs funds for second round of his sequencing: http://cases.dnadoeproject.org/mesmerize/mill-creek-shed-man/

It’s covered! I asked for an update last week and they said this:

“Thanks Tara. We haven't had time to update the website but did post here awhile ago that we went ahead with the second round of sequencing for Belle and Mill Creek Shed Man. We received lots of donations and made up the differences with the excess from Lyle Stevik's contributions and our general fund donations. Thank you ALL for your support!”

As of a few days ago, they updated to say they’d have his sequencing back likely next week. They’re not always on top of updating their website, but they update their Facebook page often.

Having said that, more donations mean they can work on more cases once they’re ready to take them on, so keep ‘em coming ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DDP update posted on FB:

“An update on Mill Creek Shed Man: In the middle of all the excitement and travel last week we received the results from the second round of DNA sequencing for Mill Creek Shed Man (thanks to our generous donors!) We have uploaded them to GEDmatch and are seeing better results than with the first round. Mill Creek Shed Man’s DNA was highly degraded and contaminated with bacteria, so we have not been optimistic. But we do now have several matches to work on, with varying degrees of confidence. Our MCSM team is hammering away, and hunting down every lead. This is a challenging case. We’ll update here when we have more news.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have mentioned that sadly he is a real long shot, tricky case for them. Reading between the lines it seems more likely than not that they won't identify him anytime soon

That's my impression as well. Not just because of his DNA being so degraded but also because so far (apparently) there are far fewer DNA samples from black Americans in the database against which to compare his. There may be a cultural difference in play here.

:Bumping: Mill Creek Shed Man -

DDP Updates ----
His DNA was highly degraded and contaminated with bacteria

We have finished a first round of autosomal SNP testing, but the DNA was too degraded; very few matches appeared on his list. We are unsure whether they are authentic matches or artifacts created by the genetic genealogy tools when applied to very degraded DNA.

4/17 - The second round of sequencing has been completed and we are working with the improved results. We do now have several matches to work on, with varying degrees of confidence

Hi everyone! I asked the DDP Facebook page for a little update on Mill Creek Shed Man and Margaret replied and said “We’ve gotten even better data in his case through imputation. Still hard at work on matches.”

So that’s a little something for this thread. I’m feeling very optimistic about him.

If you look at the Google Drive that is listed on the DDP’s Facebook pinned post, you will see that Mill Creek Shed Man’s closest match is 1,916.6 Centimorgans (A DNA measurement). This was updated on 9/17. That is either a niece/nephew or a half-sibling found.

It looks like we’ve got an identification announcement coming very soon.

Good work, DDP!

If you look at the Google Drive that is listed on the DDP’s Facebook pinned post, you will see that Mill Creek Shed Man’s closest match is 1,916.6 Centimorgans (A DNA measurement). This was updated on 9/17. That is either a niece/nephew or a half-sibling found.

It looks like we’ve got an identification announcement coming very soon.

Good work, DDP!
I’m sorry, I’m not seeing what you’re seeing. Maybe it’s because I’m on mobile. I don’t see MCSM in the Google Doc, nor do I see anyone with their closest match at 1916.6 cM. Can you help me out here?

ETA: Or perhaps they saw your comment and realized they needed to remove him from the sheet until things are zipped up?

ETAA: I’m guessing my first ETA is the case because I’m getting an error on his Namus page. Yeeeeeeek! So exciting. And this is one that DDP did not seem optimistic with early on.

Last edited:
I’m sorry, I’m not seeing what you’re seeing. Maybe it’s because I’m on mobile. I don’t see MCSM in the Google Doc, nor do I see anyone with their closest match at 1916.6 cM. Can you help me out here?

ETA: Or perhaps they saw your comment and realized they needed to remove him from the sheet until things are zipped up?

ETAA: I’m guessing my first ETA is the case because I’m getting an error on his Namus page. Yeeeeeeek! So exciting. And this is one that DDP did not seem optimistic with early on.
Yeah, I commented and they removed it off the GD loool I swear it was there and I saw it! And the fact that his NamUs is acting up is even more suspicious.

I don't see anything "official" yet but see the latest comments on DNA Doe Project's FB: DNA Doe Project
I probably shouldn't have used the word "official" but it looks certain in my opinion. Then again, we should wait to celebrate, just in case. This was a really hard case for them, due to the severely degraded DNA and the underrepresented DNA in the GedMatch system. This is definitely going to be exciting when they announce it.

I think Mill Creek Shed Man is the only African American Doe from DDP that has been in the GedMatch system. They're sequencing Rockledge Jane Doe and extracting DNA from Evangeline Parish Jane Doe, who are also African American. It'll definitely be a good milestone for the organization.

I probably shouldn't have used the word "official" but it looks certain in my opinion. Then again, we should wait to celebrate, just in case. This was a really hard case for them, due to the severely degraded DNA and the underrepresented DNA in the GedMatch system. This is definitely going to be exciting when they announce it.

I think Mill Creek Shed Man is the only African American Doe from DDP that has been in the GedMatch system. They're sequencing Rockledge Jane Doe and extracting DNA from Evangeline Parish Jane Doe, who are also African American. It'll definitely be a good milestone for the organization.
Okay, I forgot about Grundy County Jane Doe. She's in the GedMatch system also.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandraGanis
Back