WA WA - Spanaway, AsianFem 22-32, UP5673, found by dog, clothes, green Tommy Hilfiger shoe, Feb'03

No new ruleouts, but there's additional information about her clothing:

Button front blouse, wire support-type brassiere

green shoe with white rubber-type sole contained a "Tommy Hilfiger" label and size12M

I'm thinking that has to be a child's 12M if she's only five feet tall. A woman that small would be extremely unlikely to have a 12M women's size foot, and it doesn't sound like the kind of shoe you'd wear large.

I suppose the other thing it might indicate is that the height estimate is wrong. We've seen a bit of that recently.

Wait a second. I'm from Europe so I'm not extremely familiar with American shoe sizes. Based on the size charts I checked, though... This UID either wore the adult size 12, which is roughly the same as size 42 in European sizes, or child size 12, which is around European size 31. Basically, her feet must have been distinctively large, or more likely extremely small. Can anyone more familiar with American shoe sizes confirm?

Wait a second. I'm from Europe so I'm not extremely familiar with American shoe sizes. Based on the size charts I checked, though... This UID either wore the adult size 12, which is roughly the same as size 42 in European sizes, or child size 12, which is around European size 31. Basically, her feet must have been distinctively large, or more likely extremely small. Can anyone more familiar with American shoe sizes confirm?

Yes, that's what I thought I said :p

Since she's said to be 60", or 5 feet, I thought the small size was more likely.

Yes, that's what I thought I said :p

Since she's said to be 60", or 5 feet, I thought the small size was more likely.

Just wanted to make sure before I start going in depth with my ideas.

So... European size 31 (that should be about the same as American children's size 12) is a size my five-year old kid is wearing. That is extremely rare for an adult, even for a small lady like the UID. Even most of the specialized shoe stores that sell very small sizes for adults tend to have sizes 32-35 in stock. Such a small shoe size often correlates with an otherwise very slim build as well, and things like weight gain and pregnancy tend to enlargen the foot size. In other words, this woman was so notably small that she has probably either bought her clothes and shoes from the children's section, OR there are a tailor and a shoemaker out there who have met her quite frequently.

I have a feeling she's not reported missing. Her size is so notably small, the age range is descent and the fact that she's Asian should narrow the possibilities down extremely easily. What comes to mind is that she could have been a "mail-order bride" who has no relatives or friends in the US. It would be incredibly informative to have an isotope testing done.

Hello everyone, as stated before there is a lot of evidence that adds up together to the unidentified being Kyung Choi. However, this is not a clear case, as stated on the NamUs profile for Kyung Choi, apparently, someone rang up claiming to be Kyung Choi in 2006, stating that they were alive and well in Seattle, Washington.

To finally end the speculation and settle a resolution for the missing case of Kyung Choi and further exploration for the unidentified case with a major rule out, I have decided to message the two Kyung Choi's that have profiles on Facebook, and who both live in Seattle, Washington. My best guess is that one of them IS the missing Kyung Choi, but if not, then the likelihood of the unidentified being Kyung Choi is high up there.

I am currently awaiting a response from them.

Thanks,
-Desayama

Here are the ruleouts from namus:

Susan Hoppes-Bennet

Nguyet Nguyen

Misty Thompson

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Springrain, did you ever suggest them?

Springrain, did you ever suggest them?

I did suggest Consuelo! The NamUs worker for the UID responded and said it'd be reviewed. Nothing after that.

I did suggest Consuelo! The NamUs worker for the UID responded and said it'd be reviewed. Nothing after that.

So frustrating to hear that nothing has happened since then!

UP5673 is one of two unidentified Asian females found in the Spanaway/Roy area of Washington within 4 - 14 months of each other. UP5671 is the Namus number of the one found April 5, 2004, just 13 miles away from UP5673.

I say 4 - 14 months because the Crime Stoppers poster gives December 19, 2003, not February 19, 2003, as the found date. I suspect the poster is correct, and the February date was entered in error on input to Namus in 2009. Either way, the condition of the remains and the estimated date since death noted are similar enough to suggest they may have been killed around the same time.
I am from this area, but have been unable to find much information regarding these cases or information regarding most of the missing persons that fit the general description.

I am also noticing that a lot of the case specific information previously provided on Namus is not available or is not showing up in the new version launched earlier this year. Important information like whether or not they have DNA or dental records on file is no longer available, at least not on the cases I have been following, which is frustrating.

I am looking to see if the cases mentioned in this thread, or any others, have since been excluded for each of these two.

UP5671:
Crime Stoppers of Tacoma/Pierce County
UP5673:
Crime Stoppers of Tacoma/Pierce County

Last edited:
According to NamUs as of now, there are three rule outs for this Jane Doe.

Susan Hoppes Bennet missing since August 9, 1993 from Tacoma, WA
Misty Dawn Thompson Missing since August 24, 1993 from Woodland, WA
Nguyet Minh Nguyen Missing since November 9, 1998 from Seattle, WA

According to NamUs as of now, there are three rule outs for this Jane Doe.

Susan Hoppes Bennet missing since August 9, 1993 from Tacoma, WA
Misty Dawn Thompson Missing since August 24, 1993 from Woodland, WA
Nguyet Minh Nguyen Missing since November 9, 1998 from Seattle, WA

And the updated link: Unidentified Person Case

How about Kyung Sun Choi? There isn't much info about her out there, but she was last seen on February 2000 in Pierce County, WA...

The only real discrepancy is the height; Jane Doe is listed at 5'0", whilst Kyung is estimated at 5' 5" - 5' 8".

Kyung Sun Choi's NamUs page:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Oh, nevermind. I just found out that this thread is a duplicate, and Kyung has already been suggested in the original thread (@mods: Merge, please?). Good to know I was not the only one who saw the connection! There doesn't seem to be any updates, however, ruling her in or out.

Spanaway Jane Doe's original thread:
WA - WA - Spanaway, AsianFem UP5673, 22-32, found by dog, Feb'03

Noting there are 2 threads (other one at WA - WA - Spanaway, AsianFem UP5673, 22-32, found by dog, Feb'03) , are there any other recent ruleouts?

If not, throwing some other names out there...

Shirley Mallapre, missing from CA in Aug 2000 and only 5 feet tall, very few details The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
CA - CA - Shirley Ondevilla Mallapre, 35, San Leandro, Aug 3, 2000

Por Soua Her, last contact 12 March 2002, her vehicle was recovered 1 week later but no details as to where The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Por Soua Her – The Charley Project

Kristine Grace Rodrigo last contact 1/1/2003 probaby too close to discovery date since the remains were skeletal but FWIW The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Slightly taller than 5' and was headed (reportedly) to the Carolinas from CA, so theoretically going in the other direction. But throwing it out there anyway.

Current list of Exclusions for UP5673 per NamUs:
MP7548 Susan Hoppes Bennett 08/09/1993 Pierce WA
MP15141 Misty Thompson 08/24/1993 Cowlitz WA
MP14410 Nguyet Nguyen 11/09/1998 King WA

Slightly outside the age estimate is Choung Su Mullen 19yo missing from 133 miles away in Bellingham WA since 1989 and recently added to Namus as MP76106. However Choung Su is listed as 5'6" whereas these remains were estimated at 5'0". However since the remains were only partial skeletal so I wonder how precise the guesstimate would be? Choung Su's thread WA - WA - Choung Su Mullen, 19, Bellingham, Feb 9, 1989 (websleuths.com)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix
Back