WA WA - Susanna Stodden, 56, & Mary Cooper, 27, Pinnacle Lake, 11 Jul 2006

This case has stayed with me for years, although I don’t have much to contribute... Like several others posting on this thread, I was an avid hiker, although in northern New England. I hiked alone, carrying survival supplies and a concealed firearm. I had a concealed carry license for the states I hiked in. I was aware of occasional crime, mostly near trailheads, and of course there is vulnerability while hiking alone in the isolation of wilderness areas. I was always very aware of noise, color anomalies, and potential hiding places. The only real danger I ever encountered was a bear, but that incident ended without any harm to either myself or the bear.

I will say one thing about David Stodden returning to hike with his other daughters. I think it is way to reclaim the joy that he and other family members experienced in nature. During one hike I made years ago, I sprained an ankle just below the top of a mountain summit. I bound it up and made it back to the trailhead with a metal staff/pole I used for support. I drove myself to a hospital, and my ankle was swollen and sore for a while. But the following year, I actually returned to this trail. I didn’t want this bad experience to ruin my enjoyment of hiking, so I went and completed the same hike where I’d had the accident.

Mountain trails can be full of ambush points and areas where a predator can ambush someone. If 2 people are hiking and talking, they could be distracted and unaware of sounds that could signal a problem, such as the sound of crushing leaves or another person’s breathing.

Israel Keyes comes to mind for this crime. His timeline may or may not fit, but I think the murders were perpetrated by an opportunistic predator. Such an individual may have been in the area with the intent to commit a crime, and the mother and daughter appeared. I hope there’s some DNA that will eventually identify the perpetrator.
I also used to hike. But I never gave it any thought as to crime. I did a lot of my hiking on the Appalachian Trail in GA, NC and VA. In fact, the first few times I went alone and told someone at my command where I would be. Then after a few accidents on the AT, one of which almost ended in the death of a hiker, I joined a couple of small groups in my area that hiked and joined them. Sometime before my last hike some through hikers were murdered on the trail and all of the shelter registers were new and blank. The state police had picked up all the registers up and down the trail after the murders. Then the groups I hiked with broke when others moved out of the area and with no one to go with I gave it up. I still have my hiking boots - heavy leather and not light in weight. That was before the lighter boots with synthetic material like running shoes became common.

Israel Keyes also comes to mind. One thing that leads me away from Keyes is that he hid the bodies of his victims. The fact that Keyes was active in WA was scary for me as my brother hiked, biked and snowshoed in western WA during the time Keyes was there.

This is probably way out there, but is it possible the husband had years to learn/practice how to pass a poly, and that's why he offered to take it again? The first two were inconclusive, right?

ETA: Did LE actually say he was cleared, or just that he passed the poly?

This is probably way out there, but is it possible the husband had years to learn/practice how to pass a poly, and that's why he offered to take it again? The first two were inconclusive, right?

ETA: Did LE actually say he was cleared, or just that he passed the poly?
I wonder about all that. He left the house that day to do some renovation work on another house. If LE believes the mother and daughter were killed late morning/early afternoon (death certificate listed 'AM' for TOD?) shouldn't someone have seen him on the sight during that time? He claims they were going to another hiking trail and not the one they actually went to. Didn't the daughter have a roommate? Did Mary tell a roommate or friend where they planned to go? If so and they didn't tell the husband that would seem to point in another direction. Of course, that doesn't leave out a cell phone call from either of them to him telling him about a change of plans. Experienced hikers and they don't leave word with someone where they are going? If he truly did not know of the change of plans, I'm thinking that leaves someone they met at the rest stop or came across at the trail.

The couple that went ahead of them - they didn't see anyone else other than the hiker that found the bodies? Saw no other cars in the parking area? How did this killer get in and out of that area so quickly without being seen? Not only onto and off the trail, but if there was no car in the lot? A dirt motorbike would likely have been heard. A mountain bike? Or he did not use the trail to go in or out? I don't know how thick those forests are and if LE brought in dogs I would have thought they might have picked up a scent.

I wonder about all that. He left the house that day to do some renovation work on another house. If LE believes the mother and daughter were killed late morning/early afternoon (death certificate listed 'AM' for TOD?) shouldn't someone have seen him on the sight during that time? He claims they were going to another hiking trail and not the one they actually went to. Didn't the daughter have a roommate? Did Mary tell a roommate or friend where they planned to go? If so and they didn't tell the husband that would seem to point in another direction. Of course, that doesn't leave out a cell phone call from either of them to him telling him about a change of plans. Experienced hikers and they don't leave word with someone where they are going? If he truly did not know of the change of plans, I'm thinking that leaves someone they met at the rest stop or came across at the trail.

The couple that went ahead of them - they didn't see anyone else other than the hiker that found the bodies? Saw no other cars in the parking area? How did this killer get in and out of that area so quickly without being seen? Not only onto and off the trail, but if there was no car in the lot? A dirt motorbike would likely have been heard. A mountain bike? Or he did not use the trail to go in or out? I don't know how thick those forests are and if LE brought in dogs I would have thought they might have picked up a scent.

It is true that the husband took 3 polygraphs, and the first 2 were inconclusive, per the Seattle Times article linked in post #61 of this thread. I've read that there are espionage agencies, including the KGB and its successor, that train people to control the outcome of polygraphs. Some supposedly do manage to deceive the test procedure after practice. Some polygraph operators are described as being expert enough to defeat an effort at deceit. Passing the test might be about controlling anxiety - it is something I don't know much about. We don't have enough knowledge to really rule the husband out. LE probably knows much more, but is holding back. It is an eerie case.

Thanks that is good information and questions.

This is a link to an article from Oct 10 2018.

Stodden said he’s not going to stop pushing on the sheriff’s office, or trying to generate media interest in the case.
“I’m not ready to accept it will never be solved, but it is going to take somebody from the public coming forward, I really believe with good information who’s willing to have some courage,” he said.

Stodden cleared in murder of his family 12 years ago

This is a link to an article from Oct 10 2018.

Stodden said he’s not going to stop pushing on the sheriff’s office, or trying to generate media interest in the case.
“I’m not ready to accept it will never be solved, but it is going to take somebody from the public coming forward, I really believe with good information who’s willing to have some courage,” he said.

Stodden cleared in murder of his family 12 years ago

The article in the link you posted sounds quite definite as far as clearing David Stodden. Hopefully some foreign DNA was found on the victims or other evidence that will eventually lead to a suspect. Perhaps like other recent cases, a suspect will be identified using DNA and genetic genealogy. LE often looks at spouses first, and of course that can be the wrong path...

The father driving two hours to follow his wife and daughter to murder them on a public and popular trail seems far fetched. The snoho sherriff's refusing AMW help.....on par. Ridiculous but color me not shocked

And, did AMW even need there permission? Seems like it should be up to the family. I get it, a bunch of tips would come flooding in and people would get upset when they weren't investigated

I think I had heard about this case years ago but was just reminded of it this morning. As an avid hiker and lover of wilderness myself, this case is especially tragic for me.

I have read this thread and a lot of articles on the case now. I don't have much to add except I do believe it was random/the killer didn't know these women. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a disturbed person who lived in the area and knew the trail well, even someone who had hiked this trail many times and knew the typical traffic/lack thereof.

I hope their family is able to get closure and this killer faces justice soon.

Does anyone have contact info for David Stodden that they could private message me? I'd like to reach out to him about covering his family's story on my podcast.

Another article regarding this case. No new info, still. Why were these two women murdered in cold blood on that trail? Why the information blackout after 15 years? This case bothers the hell out of me.

Unsolved murders: Snohomish County's Mary Cooper, Susanna Stodden | king5.com

ashleypodcasts, I've been mulling over a podcast about this case, myself. More influenced by the Hide and Seek podcast, which is about cases in my neck of the woods (Nancy Moyer and Logan Schiendelman). I have no experience in podcasts, but neither did the creator of Hide and Seek. I've seen the attention brought to those cases, and I think it's time to do the same with this one. There is hardly any information about this case, and no social media that I can find that tries to bring attention to it.

Another article regarding this case. No new info, still. Why were these two women murdered in cold blood on that trail? Why the information blackout after 15 years? This case bothers the hell out of me.

Unsolved murders: Snohomish County's Mary Cooper, Susanna Stodden | king5.com

ashleypodcasts, I've been mulling over a podcast about this case, myself. More influenced by the Hide and Seek podcast, which is about cases in my neck of the woods (Nancy Moyer and Logan Schiendelman). I have no experience in podcasts, but neither did the creator of Hide and Seek. I've seen the attention brought to those cases, and I think it's time to do the same with this one. There is hardly any information about this case, and no social media that I can find that tries to bring attention to it.

I live in WA state as well. I actually spoke to the host of Hide and Seek for an episode I did on Logan. My podcasting style isn't in person investigative stuff like James, but I do highlight a lot of cold cases from our area and I do so with facts, empathy, and a call to action. And I always interview someone close to each case.

I was finally able to speak to David Stodden, you can find the episode here: Episode 14: Mary Cooper and Susanna Stodden — Cosmic Bigfoot

I've always believed Israel Keyes is guilty. The reason the MO could appear different is that Susanna and Mary fought back and refused to allow themselves to be restrained (unike the Curriers, Koenig, etc.) I also think the same could apply with Stevan Haugen and Jeanette Bauman. No matter how much you're threatened or beaten, do not allow yourself to be restrained. It is much better to die on your feet fighting than vulnerable to your captor's every whim.

I’m not sure if it’s allowed but “Going West: True Crime” recently did a podcast about this case called “the pinnacle lake murders”. I have enjoyed their podcasts on roadtrips but I’m unsure how reputable they are!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back