WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
This goes against all of my original suspicions about "Lyle," but if he had a tattoo and had it removed, would it show at autopsy?

My original suspicions/feelings about "Lyle" is that he was an international student, possibly from Lebanon, studying engineering or similar, and he had a series of things in his life go so wrong he saw suicide as the only option.

Last night, I noticed Pierre Mercon, who while he does not fit this description, he is about 6'1"; a somewhat heavier than "Lyle" yet because Lyle supposedly lost a great deal of weight prior to be found in Washington this would also be consistent. Pierre Mercon has brown hair, hazel eyes, and looks like he has a bit of a unibrow from the photos. He is also from Canada, which would be consistent with witnesses thinking that "Lyle" had a Canadian accent. The two negatives (and they are big ones) are that Pierre has obviously pierced ears from the photos and --

Mr. Mercon has a prominent Tattoo of Uruguay on his right shoulder.

This is why I asked if he had a tattoo that was lasered off or otherwise removed if it would show at autopsy.

Images%5CP20100038OPP_02.jpg

Images%5CP20100038OPP_01.jpg

http://www.missing-u.ca/MPDetail.aspx?PersonID=1225

I looked back and it looks like Mr. Mercon was automatically ruled out because of the tattoo, so I am embarrassed :blushing: now, but still want to know if he had it removed would it show up enough at autopsy to know he had something there in the past? Sorry, I don't know that much about tattoo removal and know this is a long shot.

Depending on when the tattoo was removed it would leave a scar in the shape or outline of the original tattoo. I had one removed about 25 years ago by laser and it is a substantial scar you cannot miss it. The ones that are more recent still leave a scar depending on the depth of the original tattoo ink and the ones that were surface tattooos I have seen removed lately have left a loss of pigmentation and faint scar that may fade over time but depending on the above if you look for it you should still be able to see the discoloration and scar. If they have developed a new technique that leaves no discoloration or scar whatsoever than models wouldn't need to be airbrushed any longer or spray on fake skin tone to even out their complexions. I hope this helps with your question.:blushing:

ColdCaseMan, Is it possible for you to run Lyle's DNA against any of the Family Tree DNA (and the likes)? Or would that requires a different type of DNA test? I thought if you found his paternity lineage and that could bring you closer to closing this case.

Ancestry.com is now offering Ancestry Ethnicity DNA testing that encompasses the entire genome both maternal and paternal ethnicity in an individual:what:. I had the test and I have already found several cousins but my results were not as expected. My ethnic background differs slightly from what my family always believed.

The two negatives (and they are big ones) are that Pierre has obviously pierced ears from the photos and --

There's a third one, his ears are not only pierced but he also has detached earlobes. Lyle does not have earlobes. I don't remember exactly when this has been discussed, probably in the first or second thread.

Ancestry.com is now offering Ancestry Ethnicity DNA testing that encompasses the entire genome both maternal and paternal ethnicity in an individual:what:. I had the test and I have already found several cousins but my results were not as expected. My ethnic background differs slightly from what my family always believed.

I would love to take that kind of test (after asking my brother to donate his DNA as he has the Y chromosome).
What I want to know from ColdCaseMan if it is possible for him to run Lyle's DNA against other people's DNA at Family Tree DNA or not. I know that there are several type of DNA tests but I don't know which one they use and which the police use.

There's a third one, his ears are not only pierced but he also has detached earlobes. Lyle does not have earlobes. I don't remember exactly when this has been discussed, probably in the first or second thread.

Lyle does have earlobes, but they're attached. The "no earlobes" thing was a bit of a mix-up.

Here's a photo of Lyle's ear (pixelated photo attachment).

Attachments

• Lyle Blurred Ear.jpg
    Lyle Blurred Ear.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 71
Lyle does have earlobes, but they're attached. The "no earlobes" thing was a bit of a mix-up.

Here's a photo of Lyle's ear (pixelated photo attachment).

Yeah, I never remember if he has them attached or if he doesn't have them :banghead:

It still rules Pierre Mercon out though.

Just to shine a little light on Lyle -

The name Lyle Stevik - as discussed here is a character from the book 'You Must Remember This'.

Every time I see that title here I always think of 'Casablanca' and not the contents of the book. YMRT is the song Sam had to play again. And then stop playing, and then play again for old times sake.

Casablanca has international intrigue, alliances constantly changing, the ugly reality of what people do during wartime and forbidden love - would any of that apply to 'our Kyle' as far as what he may have been involved in? Regrettably involved in?

Just to shine a little light on Lyle -

The name Lyle Stevik - as discussed here is a character from the book 'You Must Remember This'.

Every time I see that title here I always think of 'Casablanca' and not the contents of the book. YMRT is the song Sam had to play again. And then stop playing, and then play again for old times sake.

Casablanca has international intrigue, alliances constantly changing, the ugly reality of what people do during wartime and forbidden love - would any of that apply to 'our Kyle' as far as what he may have been involved in? Regrettably involved in?

I never thought of it like that!

i think the most likely (and uninteresting) scenario is lyle was a canadian or american who either was estranged from his family or didn't have any family left. it's possible he has friends out there who wonder 'what ever happened to that guy?' but at this point twelve years later it's obvious they haven't connected with either him or us. there could have been some traumatic event that caused him to take his life (loss of a spouse, child, parent) but often when you have someone who takes care to plan out their suicide in advance it's simply someone who has tried and failed to get out from under the heavy wet blanket of depression.

the mystery here is why we haven't been able to identify this guy and the answer in my opinion is because he didn't have anyone left who would notice him gone. it's likely, given the care he took in ending his life, that he traveled a great distance to get away to a place where he could find peace. we believe he took a bus and i don't think that's because he was a transient, i think it's because he wanted a low profile and he sincerely wanted to avoid detection. i mentioned this upthread, but i still think the name "lyle stevik" may not have had as much meaning to him as some wsers attribute. it's possibly just a name he remembered from somewhere or one he even thought he made up. i don't buy that this guy took such pains to avoid being located by someone who knows him only to give a trick fake name that would hold some secret clue.

much like the grateful dead john doe, i think at this point we're waiting for someone who knew lyle, who has wondered a few times in the past decade "what happened to that guy", to post somewhere asking for help locating a friend. :twocents:

'Given the care he took in ending his life' can work many ways, imo. And how far did he travel to end his life?

'The fundamentals still apply' - a line from the song YMRT.

I still think someone is or has looked for him. I'm thinking it would be similar to Tawni or Samuel Benards case. Lyles loved ones were possibly denied a missing persons report at the time or its sitting in some file folder somewhere collecting dust! I know there has been many cases where loved ones either tried to report the person missing and couldn't or they have at least tried online to reach out to them.

ETA: Just thought of another example. That one guy (can't recall his name) with many tattoos that was wanted in state nearby! So there is always a possibility that Lyle could be a wanted fugitive somewhere (a good reason not to use his real name)

As this happened just after September 11th, couple of things...

How hard would it have been for him to get across the border from Canada (if he was Canadian), during that time frame?

Any chance a victim list of Sept 11 could help in this situation? Maybe one of his last connections was a victim?

Just thinking aloud.

I know it has been discussed before...just gnawing at me.

I can't find him in Namus UID...does anyone have the link? I wanted to check rule-outs and stuff. Thanks!

He's not in namus. I asked a detective about him, and quote: "It really is just a matter of man power and resources to add the people we have under the Doe network to NAMUS. I will forward your information to the new detective sergeant for our agency."

When I am able to retire, I would like to be able to imput this kind of important information into databases; free of charge of course. I won't have anything else to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74