Resolved WA - Whatcom Co, WhtMale 33-55, UP13270, Metal rod in leg, Jan'2014 - NamUs removed

Hello there- I live in Bellingham and signed up today to tell you all about the public records request I put in 2 weeks ago, and the bizarre phone call I got in response to that.
So, I was interested in the UP 13270 case. I drive up Mt. Baker Hwy a lot. Ya know what is strange?
The fact that Mt. Baker is ALWAYS covered in snow, year round, because of it's elevation. On January 1, 2014 the date the Doe's "mummified remains" were found, there would have been a LOT of snow there. How did someone just happen upon a really random, densely forested, random (no trails, slight [logging?] "road" that I have been to before-- it's not maintained, paved, and really hard to get into, etc.), walk around, in snow, and then say "hmmm I think there's a body... *randomly points* umm, right there" and then boom, under FEET of snow, there's just... a body there? I think that is SO weird!
Anyways, I digress.
So, I thought that was weird and I wanted the police report that would literally just explain the circumstances of HOW it was found, possibly name WHO found it, etc.
My request for records was as follows "any information regarding the unidentified remains, later classified as a John Doe, found near Glacier, WA on 01/01/2014". That was IT. I did NOT mention Leah Roberts, Reddit and the link between UP 13270 and Leah, etc. At the bottom it says "MAY TAKE 5-7 BUSINESS DAYS TO FIND RESULTS"
I got a call, less than 24 hours later. Remember, I live right down the road from the police dept. I am a local

The woman's first question, after asking my name was "So I'm guessing you think this is linked to the Leah Roberts case?"
I said "uhhh, well, yes, perhaps, but my focus somewhat shifted lately and I am just trying to find who that person was, and maybe dig into finding their identity to help find some closure for the family "
Long pause.
Woman (County Clerk's Office): "Mmm-hmm well I just spoke with the detectives this morning, and they actually just identified the person, through the family. Quietly, so you don't need to look into it"
Me: "Oh my goodness, that's... that's great. (quietly, and kind of stunned).
Woman: "Yep, so you don't have to go on Reddit or Google or whatever. The family just did it privately. So, you can leave it alone"
Me: Oh, uh yes. Okay. Well I am happy they found out who it was. Well, I still might want to see the police report, I am just really interested in that area. I wanted to go up there with a metal detector. Up to near Glacier, where the body was found"
Woman: "Oh, Glacier? Oh you're talking about the one found near the Canadian border, or .. Glacier?"
Me: "The one (me thinking, there's MORE than one?? Wtf...)?"
Woman: Oh, no I meant, yeah no there's just one (she sounded like, idk like she caught herself like she slipped and said something she wasn't supposed to?)
Me: "Oh, okay" (I was standing in the middle of Value Village on Meridian, dumfounded as to what to say or do, I had JUST filled the request out the day before...)
Woman: "Okay then, well there you go, I'm going to send you an email saying NO results were found for your inquiry, does that sound good?"
Me: "Umm.... okay. I just wanted the info for HOW the body was found"
Woman-- hung up.

So. Yeah. Super, super weird. I too called the Namus regional director, got her VM, left several messages. I figured hey, if that woman was lying, I'll make her tip her hand and the NAMUS site WONT change, and I'll know. And if it WAS identified, they'll update it.

And now today, there's the NAMUS site GONE.

So, just wanted to tell SOMEONE that. It's so strange. I literally just wanted to look into the Doe, more than Leah Roberts. Maybe find some... evidence that wasn't recovered or idk what I thought I was gonna do. I'm a full time student, and a mom. I just, was interested in trying to connect some dots. I thought how sad those remains lie there for 8 years, some family probably worried and saddened for their loved one who was missing.
Welcome! Thanks for the information about the site where the remains were located. It does make sense that in January there would have been snow. I'm not sure it was ever disclosed how far up Mt. Baker this was.

You should have received a more helpful and courteous response from the County. But to be fair, the speculations that this UID was actually Leah go back for as many as five years on some other internet forums, so they've probably gotten a bit testy when they think someone is calling to make the suggestion again. The timing of everything is pretty odd.

Woman: "Oh, Glacier? Oh you're talking about the one found near the Canadian border, or .. Glacier?"
Me: "The one (me thinking, there's MORE than one?? Wtf...)?"

Yes, oh my, what's that one she's referring to? That's peaked my curiosity!
Sadly, WA always seems to have plenty of mysteries with dead bodies.

Welcome! Thanks for the information about the site where the remains were located. It does make sense that in January there would have been snow. I'm not sure it was ever disclosed how far up Mt. Baker this was.

You should have received a more helpful and courteous response from the County. But to be fair, the speculations that this UID was actually Leah go back for as many as five years on some other internet forums, so they've probably gotten a bit testy when they think someone is calling to make the suggestion again. The timing of everything is pretty odd.

Someone on Leah Robert's thread mentioned her being on the Whatcom County Missing Person and Unsolved Homicide website: Missing Persons and Unsolved Homicide Investigations | Whatcom County, WA - Official Website

Friday Fan and I checked it today, but now it's empty.

I wonder why the investigating team never put her on the exclusions list for JD. It sounds like they considered that theory ridiculous, so then why didn't the team exclude her?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smoore9861
Back