Was the Ramsey house typically a mess?

Gunther Toody

Reaction score
I recall reading that the Ramsey house was typically a mess with clutter and things left lying about.
The children were said to have just left toys where they were and dropped clothing on the floor.

Why do we find Burke's bed made and his bedroom look pretty normal on the day she was discovered?

It would seem that if an ordinarily disheveled room is suddenly normalized, there has to be a reason.
Could it be to draw attention away from that room as a potential crime scene?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-20 090332.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-20 090332.png
    547 KB · Views: 128
It would seem that if an ordinarily disheveled room is suddenly normalized, there has to be a reason.
RSBM

Maybe Burke was slightly tidier than some of his family members?

And, I think I read somewhere years ago that both the kids had two beds in their rooms so they could have friends for sleepovers. Do you have a photo of the other bed?

I recall reading that the Ramsey house was typically a mess with clutter and things left lying about.
The children were said to have just left toys where they were and dropped clothing on the floor.

Why do we find Burke's bed made and his bedroom look pretty normal on the day she was discovered?

Someone else here (can't recall exactly who) brought this very subject up recently. Because yes, as has been mentioned by the housekeepers and PR's mom, both kids dropped toys & clothes wherever they felt like it. Nedra at one point reportedly told PR the housekeeper(s) could not do what they were hired to do as they were constantly picking up after the kids. I had also read, although I cannot confirm that this is true, that JR had essentially yelled at PR at one point because the house was always so messy. It makes sense to me that he would have, as he was known to be a have it together type guy, liked order and was paying for housekeepers. Of the pictures of the interior of the house that we have seen, a lot of rooms were very messy and cluttered with stuff everywhere.

When you look at the picture of BR's room contrasted with JBR's, the difference is rather stark. And from what we have heard, BR was just as messy as JBR. So it does make one wonder. I did read that when BR was awakened that morning, Fleet White made his bed. But the absence of clothes and toys strewn around is definitely noticeable.

Snipped for focus
But the absence of clothes and toys strewn around is definitely noticeable.
Hard to say about Burke and tidiness. Didn’t LHP hide his pocket knife because he was leaving whittling scraps all over? It could be that Burke just had less stuff — no doll house, dolls, clothing, pageant paraphernalia — and maybe even fewer toys, since those he did have were of a more expensive type, or were things, like model airplanes, that had to be laid out in a fairly organized way during assembly (maybe in the cellar), then proudly displayed. His train set was in the cellar (and, like everything else down there, was a mess). His gaming would have taken up less room and been more focused. I would need to see more photos of Burke’s room to satisfy myself that it was really tidier than JonBenét’s. And how about the bathroom he used?

Snipped for focus

Hard to say about Burke and tidiness. Didn’t LHP hide his pocket knife because he was leaving whittling scraps all over? It could be that Burke just had less stuff — no doll house, dolls, clothing, pageant paraphernalia — and maybe even fewer toys, since those he did have were of a more expensive type, or were things, like model airplanes, that had to be laid out in a fairly organized way during assembly (maybe in the cellar), then proudly displayed. His train set was in the cellar (and, like everything else down there, was a mess). His gaming would have taken up less room and been more focused. I would need to see more photos of Burke’s room to satisfy myself that it was really tidier than JonBenét’s. And how about the bathroom he used?
I made the observation recently that BRs room was suspiciously neat. You make some really good points but after raising 2 boys, I can pretty much guarantee that the day after Christmas bedrooms take a hit with many activities going on and all the new gifts. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a kid cleaning or tidying up on Christmas.

I somehow doubt the, He made his bed, so he must be a killer," theory is going to get too much traction.

JMOO

It sounds more like fodder for tabloids.

I'm thinking like a mother now who has just experienced the worst tragedy ever -- her child being kidnapped. I would be likely unable to deal with another child at that time, and I wouldn't want another child subjected to what LE was saying. I might tell that child to go to his room and clean it.

I'm thinking like a mother now who has just experienced the worst tragedy ever -- her child being kidnapped. I would be likely unable to deal with another child at that time, and I wouldn't want another child subjected to what LE was saying. I might tell that child to go to his room and clean it.
But would that child be likely to clean it, with everything else going on? I doubt it. MOO

But would that child be likely to clean it, with everything else going on? I doubt it. MOO
Right? And what parent in their right mind is going to send the remaining sibling to be alone after an intruder came into the home. Not to mention, the emotional comfort of the remaining child would be at the top of a parents list. Hey BR, there's some horrible scary things happening at the moment. I think it's best you go be alone...smh Talk about fodder. Not just fodder but if true, very emotionally negligent parents.

I clean best when I'm stressed.
That's you though, and I presume you're an adult.

A child may not, especially one brought up in a house that seems a bit chaotic. Where nobody seemed to bother about faeces smeared around etc. That alone would suggest to me that the children were not being taught to clean or tidy. Children learn a lot by example.
MOO

If I wanted to get a child out of the way for a little while, I'd suggest they did something fun in their room - played with a specific toy or read a book.

Right? And what parent in their right mind is going to send the remaining sibling to be alone after an intruder came into the home. Not to mention, the emotional comfort of the remaining child would be at the top of a parents list. Hey BR, there's some horrible scary things happening at the moment. I think it's best you go be alone...smh
RSBM
That too!

Snipped for focus

He did not have the pageant stuff, true. But he actually had two train sets, one in the basement and one in his room. Train sets depending on the size can take up a lot of room. Burke had a lot of toys, baseball stuff, golf stuff, his gaming stuff, etc.

But that's supposedly not what happened, according to the R's. They said that BR was asleep in his room, until JR went and woke him up to get dressed and sent to the White's house. Fleet White said that he made BR's bed before they left to go to the White's.

That's you though, and I presume you're an adult.

A child may not, especially one brought up in a house that seems a bit chaotic. Where nobody seemed to bother about faeces smeared around etc. That alone would suggest to me that the children were not being taught to clean or tidy. Children learn a lot by example.
MOO

If I wanted to get a child out of the way for a little while, I'd suggest they did something fun in their room - played with a specific toy or read a book.
Both BR and JBR were messy children. Not only did they not pick up after themselves, they didn't have particularly good hygiene habits. Notably, they rarely flushed the toilet after using. Both the housekeeper(s) and PR admitted this. Seems a little doubtful that on the morning his sister is discovered missing that he would suddenly decide to be tidy.

Not only that, when he was packed off to the White's house, this was still supposedly a kidnapping. JBR's body had not yet been found. Wouldn't you want to keep your remaining child close and where there is a police presence? Playing in his room would be a much safer place for him to be, and still be out of the way.

He did not have the pageant stuff, true. But he actually had two train sets, one in the basement and one in his room. Train sets depending on the size can take up a lot of room. Burke had a lot of toys, baseball stuff, golf stuff, his gaming stuff, etc.
Yes, we need to see more photos of his room before judging. I think it’s safe to say both children would have been unwelcome guests for any length of time in Marie Kondo’s home!

I guess what I was thinking was that if JB was killed in his bedroom, or even severely injured.

It would make sense for someone to go over everything in the room and clean it up, removing any traces of the crime.
It's certainly not impossible. She liked to sleep in his room, usually after wetting her own bed.

No one has said that, no one is implying that. And he didn't make his bed that morning, Fleet White did.
Well, that explains it -- FW did it.

Unless FW was trying to cover something up, as the OP suggests may have been behind the made bed, then the bed is a non-starter. But, even had FW not made the bed, I don't think it would have signified anything important.

I appreciate your knowledge of this case--I really do--but some of the suggestions here are quite odd.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back