Welcome to The Murder Accountability Project!

Discussion in 'Murder Accountability Project' started by Tricia, Nov 22, 2016.

1. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

:welcome:

2. mocity

mocity Verified Insider

This is so awesome! What a great tool. I am having issues getting the lists of cases to come up. I can get the graphs but not the lists. It its getting hung up on "view data". In any case I will keep trying to figure it out! My sister was murdered in 1990 in Houston along with her boyfriend at the time. It remains unsolved but linked to DNA from a rape around the same time. I was trying to pull together a list of similar crimes using this tool.

3. zoegoobs1229

zoegoobs1229 New Member

This is the coolest project I have probably ever heard about. Thank you so much for what you have created!!

4. Preplexed&astounded

Preplexed&astounded New Member

Imagine if law enforcement agencies used the resource of VICAP and this database, crimes could be potentially be solved or at least identified and classified correctly.

5. guardian1234

guardian1234 Member

YES I wondered why this episode was not followed up . It seems this community has a serial killer

6. Chaos4574

Chaos4574 New Member

I use a touchpad instead of a computer and I was wondering why the site doesn't work with it and if I have options on my touchpad?

7. dgrace51

dgrace51 Member

Link is dead. For the four-page briefing document they give to homicide investigators, use the links below. Thx! :)
    Found via here: http://www.murderdata.org/p/data-docs.html
    Direct link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uxg5wouyaaq68sx/HowToForMAP2016.pdf?dl=0

8. Hoover8583

Hoover8583 New Member

Wonderful! Thank you!

margarita25 likes this.
  9. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

Post from WS member @Amstorrs:

“Hey guys. I saw this article on a facebook page and wanted to share it here and on Websleuths’s but I’m not sure what forum to share it on:

Help solve a murder: Public website has searchable data on cold cases

—-

Thanks Amstorrs, I have posted this in the MAP forum.

—-

From the above link / in progress

FEBRUARY 9, 2017

“Can you help solve a murder or spot an undetected serial killer?

Open-source website Murder Accountability Project gives the public free access to data about homicide cases from federal, state and local governments, and the FBI.

And there are a lot of them.

More than 211,000 Americans have died in unsolved homicides since 1980, according to The Economist in 2015.

The Murder Accountability Project “is the most complete data on U.S. homicides available anywhere,” the website said.

The database includes two major FBI datasets: The Uniform Crime Report from 1965 to the present and the Supplementary Homicide Report from 1976 to the present.

It also includes data on more than 22,000 homicides that were not reported to the Justice Department that researchers obtained using the Freedom of Information Act.”

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  10. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

Anyone can use the site to search for cases based on location, weapon, time frame, and the victim’s sex, age and race, and look for connections or patterns.

“This site is especially useful in cases in which an offender is suspected of killing more than one victim,” the website said. “Possible additional victims may be identified by checking all available reports.”“

-much more at link:

Murder Accountability Project

NJEverCurious and book-thinker like this.
  11. Amstorrs

Amstorrs Well-Known Member

Chicago Police Call For Witnesses To Come Forward In Search For Possible Serial Killer

“Chicago police are now calling for DNA testing and witnesses to come forward after more than 50 Chicago women were strangled and killed.

There’s simply nothing there right now that suggests that we have serial killers in the City of Chicago,” Johnson said.

But the head of the Murder Accountability Project, Thomas Hargrove, says research might show otherwise.

It’s highly unlikely these 50 women were murdered by 50 separate men,” Hargrove said.”

book-thinker and margarita25 like this.
  12. book-thinker

book-thinker Well-Known Member

This is creepy!

13. iulia

iulia Well-Known Member

Computer algorithm helps reopen dozens of Chicago cold cases

The Murder Accountability Project, which analyzes homicides across the U.S., fed information about thousands of Chicago homicide victims and the way they died into a computer, which ultimately spit out 51 strikingly similar cases involving women whose bodies were found in some of the poorest pockets of the city.

“When you put the narratives together ... it just screams serial killer,” said Thomas Hargrove, the founder of the project who presented his findings to police in 2017.

Hargrove’s group has made similar efforts elsewhere. In 2010, it analyzed a pattern of 15 unsolved strangulations of women in Indiana. Four years later, a man in Gary confessed to killing seven of them. In Cleveland, the group’s data led police to create a task force to examine whether a serial killer or killers were responsible for the deaths of as many as 60 women.

Detectives in Chicago started the investigation under pressure from activists. They are now reassessing the reports and evidence in each of the deaths, looking for links that went unnoticed in the original probes as well as any new clues. At the same time, Rep. Bobby Rush, in whose district many of the killings occurred, has asked the FBI to join the investigation and plans a community meeting to warn about the risk of a serial killer.

coffeeandacig and NJEverCurious like this.