WH Court Hearing 11 May-GJ 20 May, Indicted on Six Charges

Joe Fisher @JoeFisherTV · 32m 32 minutes ago
THIS MORNING: Wesley Hadsell, adoptive father of AJ Hadsell, to appear in Norfolk District Court for preliminary hearing. Starts at 10:30 am

https://twitter.com/JoeFisherTV

For your reading pleasure while we wait.

What Happens at a Preliminary Hearing?
A preliminary hearing, also called a probable cause hearing, is held in some jurisdictions after someone has been arrested and charged with a crime or crimes. During the preliminary hearing, a magistrate or judge decides whether the person should be held over for trial, that is, whether there is enough evidence to proceed.

Remember a preliminary hearing is not a trial, and this means that there are not only different procedures but also a very different standard of proof to move forward. In a criminal trial, the burden of proof on the prosecution is “beyond a reasonable doubt” for conviction, whereas in a preliminary hearing, the prosecution need only show “probable cause” to continue with the charges, usually at an arraignment, a formal reading of the charges against the accused.

Along with the burdens of proof, another big difference between preliminary hearings and trials are the evidentiary rules that govern them. Generally evidence is much more easily entered into the proceedings in a preliminary hearing.

At the conclusion of the preliminary hearing, the judge will announce whether the accused will be bound over for trial; if the court finds there is not enough probable cause to move forward, the case will most likely end there.

Such a resolution, however, does not mean the accused can’t be charged with the same crime under the same facts again. If the prosecution uncovers more evidence toward probable cause, it is possible that the accused could face charges again, which would not be considered “double jeopardy” as there was never a trial in the first place.
sbm http://www.criminallawyer.org/?page_id=54

:waiting: :lamb: :violin: :treadmill: :juggle:

Argh! This is taking forever. It's 11:45 in Va, right? I wonder if there are other cases in court this morning or if it's just a long hearing for WH.

I hope some of the search warrants and other docs finally get released to the public after his hearing.

:waiting: :lamb: :violin: :treadmill: :juggle:

Argh! This is taking forever. It's 11:45 in Va, right? I wonder if there are other cases in court this morning or if it's just a long hearing for WH.

I hope some of the search warrants and other docs finally get released to the public after his hearing.

OH No, and now we also have to think about lunch breaks too, right? ARGH!

Okay, 12 noon is starting on:

http://www.13newsnow.com/

They just mentioned that a report on WH's hearing is coming up. They said they'll let us know what happened in court - I hope they have a full report.

WAVY live - 'We are working with the court for an update...' Not much else.

Anyone hear if he has a lawyer and who it is? If he is assigned a public defender they will have my sympathy.

Anyone hear if he has a lawyer and who it is? If he is assigned a public defender they will have my sympathy.
Public defender. Don't know name, but apparently she's female based on what WH said in his jailhouse interview.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back