What steps should be taken to protect kids from being left in a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
more from http://ggweather.com/heat/index.htm, a virtual encyclopedia on this sad subject

child hyperthermia deaths in cars

ETA: Seems like some of the text, tables, maps are not copying properly. visit the above link for a ton of info.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LEGAL

Only 20 states have laws specifically addressing leaving a child unattended in a vehicle.
(ETA: Go to link and click for state laws on subject).

• Only 20 states have laws specifically addressing leaving a child unattended in a vehicle.

new%20laws_small3.jpg

The remaining 30 states do not have laws specifically against leaving a child unattended in a vehicle
  • Another 14 states have had previously proposed unattended child laws
  • An Associated Press (AP) study "Wide disparity exists in sentences for leaving kids to die in hot cars" examined both the frequency of prosecutions and length of sentences in hyperthermia deaths
    - Charges were files in 49% of all the deaths. 81% resulted in convictions.
    - In cases with paid caregivers (i.e., childcare workers, babysitters) 84% were charged and 96% convicted
    - Only 7% of the cases involved drugs or alcohol

Good Samaritan Laws may protect persons who see a child in a car and take action to render assistance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    . How can I use your statistics on my own website?
The information and statistics from this website ( http://ggweather.com/heat ) may only be used if full attribtuion is given to the source, plus a link back to the original data. This data changes frequently and it should be ensured that users can gain access to the most accurate and up-to-date information. Please use "Source: Jan Null, CCM, Department of Geoscience, San Francisco State University, http://ggweather.com/heat/ ".

Ahhh! Thank you. Another poster, RANCH , I believe was questioning my post regarding the illegality of leaving a child unattended in a car.

So in about 40% of States, this is, in fact, already illegal. I appreciate your research and your post!

It ought to sweep country-wide. No excuses.

Children have no one to advocate for themselves. They have to rely on adults.

Children are not possessions. We have no laws that deny anyone the right to have a child. There are no IQ tests or love tests or skills tests.

So, we have to continue to make laws and things that kids use, such as cribs, safe.

A look law would only apply if you have a child with you. No one is watching. No one is watching the bus driver. But if the driver forgets a child on the bus, deep doo doo. Same with someone who would forget a child in a car.

I am sure there would be some tragic examples, but then word would spread.

People would make their own systems if they knew there were heavy consequences.

Plus, if I may reiterate, it appears most of these cases are done with malicious intent. So these "reminders" are less about "reminding" than about not allowing negligent and murderous parents the "out" of "I forgot".

I am totally fine with that. A parent with no malicious intent who might make a tragic oversight may now b more vigilant. A parent who intends harm on their child and expects to use the "shoot, I forgot" defense will now have to rethink that poor choice.

I see no downside. Unless you like seeing children cooked to death.

Laws do not prevent crime. Our prisons are over-crowded. Repeat offenders are still out there driving drunk and killing people.

"Laws do not prevent crime."

Most respectfully, I beg to differ. Experiencing the arrest, towing of the vehicle, riding handcuffed in the back of a police cruiser, calling someone to arrange bail money, hiring an attorney, having a trial, spending time in prison, are reasons that keep many people obeying the DUI laws [besides the obvious safety factors of DUI]. DUI laws did not eradicate drunk driving but certainly the law has been a deterrent for some. Have DUI laws had a positive influence by reducing the number of fatalities due to the law's enactment?

Aren't we grateful for speed limit laws for they keep us safer on the roads even though not everyone will obey the imposed limits? I am grateful for many laws that safeguard and protect me and my family.

Maybe an immediate arrest of negligence for failing to provide sustenance should be mandatory because there must be a deterring consequence for forgetting that a living human being is left inside a hot car in the first place.

Plus, if I may reiterate, it appears most of these cases are done with malicious intent. So these "reminders" are less about "reminding" than about not allowing negligent and murderous parents the "out" of "I forgot".

I am totally fine with that. A parent with no malicious intent who might make a tragic oversight may now b more vigilant. A parent who intends harm on their child and expects to use the "shoot, I forgot" defense will now have to rethink that poor choice.

No malicious intent can also be passive aggressive murder... ya know "I" didn't touch him! yeah...
I guess with the new the apps people cant say kids aren't born with directions anymore can they?

All posts are MOO

***SNIPPED

....A parent with no malicious intent who might make a tragic oversight may now b more vigilant. A parent who intends harm on their child and expects to use the "shoot, I forgot" defense will now have to rethink that poor choice.

As hard of a pill it is to swallow, I think we have to come to terms with the fact that accidents happen. There will never be enough safety regulations to stop every accident--aside from living in a world that is so intrusive that it becomes unbearable, and life not even worth living because it is assumed that with every move you make you may do something to harm yourself or someone else.

As hard of a pill it is to swallow, I think we have to come to terms with the fact that accidents happen. There will never be enough safety regulations to stop every accident--aside from living in a world that is so intrusive that it becomes unbearable, and life not even worth living because it is assumed that with every move you make you may do something to harm yourself or someone else.

Lucky for you, you are here to voice your opinion. Children who are left in hot cars to die have no words or platform. Because they are dead.

If sentences and penalties are enforced for leaving children in cars, perhaps fewer children will be left to die.

If it makes you THINK, whether about being vigilant or second guessing a way of ridding yourself of unwanted children, then it is a GOOD law.

Any law that saves a child's life is a good one.

Children HAVE no rights, no power. Why is it such an imposition to give them a chance to be safe?

Children are not chattel, possessions, or decorations. They deserve the at least the same consideration as the loser beasts that neglect and kill them.

How would law enforcement enforce a law that dictates you have to check everywhere in your car before you get out? Would childless people be prosecuted if some cop saw them get out of a car without checking everything? I don't know how that could possibly work. JMO

If it makes you THINK, whether about being vigilant or second guessing a way of ridding yourself of unwanted children, then it is a GOOD law. .

I'm confused...how do laws stop someone from ridding themselves of an unwanted child? Is that even possible???

How would law enforcement enforce a law that dictates you have to check everywhere in your car before you get out? Would childless people be prosecuted if some cop saw them get out of a car without checking everything? I don't know how that could possibly work. JMO

Same way as DUI laws are enforced. If a crime happens and you are found to be intoxicated, then you can be held responsible.

If nothing happens, count your lucky stars. This time.

And that analogy is not a good one, IMO. It's like saying seatbelt laws need to apply with folk who do not own nor ride in a car. I mean, who thinks that?

I'm confused...how do laws stop someone from ridding themselves of an unwanted child? Is that even possible???

Are you serious?

There used to be ZERO laws against child abuse, infanticide, or child sexual abuse.

Children were considered property.

Then, see, people made up LAWS against such atrocities. (Of course, they borrowed from a ASPCA, because animals were considered precious before children were)

It did not stop such evil, but it made those things punishable offenses, and it gave would-be perps a pause for thought.

As bad as it is now, it is better than it was, and at the very least is not legally acceptable.

Are you serious?

There used to be ZERO laws against child abuse, infanticide, or child sexual abuse.

Then, see, people made up LAWS against such atrocities. (Of course, they borrowed from a ASPCA, because animals were considered precious before children were)

It did not stop such evil, but it made those things punishable offenses, and it gave would-be perps a pause for thought.

As bad as it is now, it is better than it was, and at the very least is not legally acceptable.

Thank you !:loveyou::loveyou::loveyou:

But it is legal to rid one's self of an unwanted child.

It may be done at a different stage of development, but it is legal.

I'm only bringing this up because of the discussion about laws and lack of laws regarding children and unwanted children,
I know this is off topic according to "steps taken to protect kids from being left in cars" but the discussion kind of went there.
Sorry if offensive.

Are you serious?

Punishable offenses against people with mental issues are not going to stop people from "ridding themselves of an unwanted child". I don't think someone who wants to kill their child will take a "pause for thought", except to chose another method. My point is, aside from taking all children away from all people, how can you possibly stop someone from killing their child with a law?

Are you serious?

Exactly.

Punishable offenses against people with mental issues are not going to stop people from "ridding themselves of an unwanted child". I don't think someone who wants to kill their child will take a "pause for thought", except to chose another method. My point is, aside from taking all children away from all people, how can you possibly stop someone from killing their child with a law?

This law is for people killing their kids by leaving them in cars. It's a convenient method because in most cases it's hard to prove intent. Murderers can claim it was an accident and walk free. It would be almost impossible to prove that the parents meant to kill their child that way. People who would be looking for a way to kill their child in a manner that easily let's them get away with, lose the option of just leaving them in a car. The law makes their plans harder because when the child dies, they could still be punished (in theory). There aren't many ways a child can be killed that can be so easily be blamed on "human mistake" or "forgetting". Someone who might just want to conveniently get rid of a kid, would've lost an easy way to do it. If they still want to harm the child, chances are they would have to blatantly kill the child in a manner that they can't claim was a simple accident. We can't stop them but we can sure make it A) harder for them b) easier to prosecute and c) if they decide to murder their child another way atleast, if caught, they can't just claim they forgot.

This law is for people killing their kids by leaving them in cars. It's a convenient method because in most cases it's hard to prove intent. Murders can claim it was an accident and walk free. It's would be almost impossible to prove that the parents meant to kill their child that way. People who would be looking for a way to kill their child in a manner that easily let's them get away with, lose the option of just leaving them in a car. The law makes their plans harder because when the child dies, they could still be punished (in theory). There aren't many ways a child can be killed that can be so easily be blamed on "human mistake" or "forgetting". Someone who might just want to conveniently get rid of a kid, would've lost an easy way to do it. If they still want to harm the child, chances are they would have to blatantly kill the child in a manner that they can't claim was a simple accident. We can't stop them but we can sure make it A) harder for them b) easier to prosecute and c) if they decide to murder their child another way atleast, if caught, they can't just claim they forgot.

I am of the opinion that most hot-car deaths are truly a result of distraction, not murder. So, to create a law that would supposedly hinder an intentional murder by hot-car sounds like playing whack-a-mole...these types will easily move on to some other means.

A law like this would do more harm than good--I don't believe someone who accidentally left their child in a hot car should serve jail time.

Ahhh! Thank you. Another poster, RANCH , I believe was questioning my post regarding the illegality of leaving a child unattended in a car.
So in about 40% of States, this is, in fact, already illegal. I appreciate your research and your post!
It ought to sweep country-wide. No excuses.
. BBM

To clear up what appears to be a misconception re the above, 20 states' statutes specifically address
issue of leaving a child unattended in motor vehicles and make it a criminal act.

IIUC, in other states prosecutors could bring child abuse/neglect criminal charges under general child maltreatment statutes
for leaving a child unattended in a motor vehicle.
Theory would be parent/caregiver acted w careless disregard as to child's welfare. Or willful, wanton, etc.
IIUC, depending on disregard or intent, charge could be child abuse, or w a death, manslaughter or murder.

IOW, although a state's statute does not explicitly spell out leaving child unattended in a motor vehicle is child abuse or endangerment,
it does not mean the state has no way to bring criminal charge against the parent or caregiver.

JM2cts and I could be wrong. Hoping the legal folks will weigh in.

.... So, to create a law that would supposedly hinder an intentional murder by hot-car sounds like playing whack-a-mole...these types will easily move on to some other means.
A law like this would do more harm than good--I don't believe someone who accidentally left their child in a hot car should serve jail time.
SBM.

Yes, agreed, in the face of purportedly-automatic, zero-tolerance, no-excuses type statutes,
a parent considering intentionally doing in a child could (would?) use a technique other than motor vehicle hyperthermia.

JM2cts.

I have always though it would be a great idea to install a camera in middle of a van, suv or bigger car and put a viewing monitor in the front(kind of like a back up camera in the car) that way you can see your kids at a glance in the monitor.I know a lot of people have them in their rooms at home to see child sleeping or playing while parents are cooking,cleaning , sleeping.I see tv monitors in cars all the time while stopped in traffic.If you had a full view in back at a all times there could be no way to say you didn't see a child or forgot them.IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus