What we know about Ransom Note

Holdontoyourhat said:
The RN has at least three corrected mistakes:
  • scribbled out word in the first paragraph,
  • scribbled out delivery
  • added <not between do and particularly
The question I have is who would misspell bussiness (sic) but still use the word attache?
Well, I like others have wondered if it had something to do with he laundry. In the movie Ransom, there was a sign on the Laundry glass front where the kid was held captive and it read Pick-up and Delivery between... I can't remember.

Consider from the dumbest to the smartest:
1. bad spelling and english (intruder)
2. bad spelling and english (child)
3. confused and haphazard long note (staged)
4. intentional misspelling (staged)
5. intentional with movie kidnap crime clues (intruder perp)

So if the correction and misspelling was intentional clues, then who did the Laundry?

SBTC and laundry?

We as a forum group have worked the Ransom Note handwriting up and down.

Darnay Hoffman was all set with HIS professional, (the name of whom I have forgotten) but who was instrumental in handwriting comparisons in the Neurmberg War Criminal trials and who had wide experience and professional handwriting analysis backgroung. That proposed case never saw the light of day as I recall.

Then posters here with some sort of backgrounds in the study, worked it back and forth letter by letter in the note.

A very long line of EXPERTS have paraded through this case.

I am wondering and have not done any research, going to leave it up to the readers here. IF IF everyone in America for example wrote the same words on a tablet with the same sort of instrument, HOW many of those samples would be inconclusive about just WHO wrote WHAT.

What are the chances that given the example I have outlined, that maybe the outcome would reveal the same number of similarities as the note writer did to Patsy, AND to a much greater number of people?

THEN another test using just the people who are known to be ambidextrous such as Patsy was, using the opposing hand write the same words and with the same instrument.

I doubt that an ENORMOUS test of this kind could ever be done, but in fairness to any VICTIMS who could benefit from such comparables, HOW would or could it provide better information.

No doubt with so FEW ransom notes ever having been written, that no such study has ever been or will ever be conducted. That in itself points a big finger, you know where.

IF IF we can do it with DNA, it might be a worthy test.

I am hoping that someone with time and ability can search this out while I am gone gone from the forum for a bit, and keep it alive in my absence, if my thought has any breath of life in it.

With all of the terrorist things going on with Foreign Factions, it is interesting to note that they do not send Ransom notes BEFORE their crimes.

What I have noted is that they take responsibility for what they do AFTER the deed is done and make their demands known at that time. BUT then Foreign Factions may all have a different code of ethics on what is done and who is to do 'it'.

Camper said:
We as a forum group have worked the Ransom Note handwriting up and down.

Darnay Hoffman was all set with HIS professional, (the name of whom I have forgotten) but who was instrumental in handwriting comparisons in the Neurmberg War Criminal trials and who had wide experience and professional handwriting analysis backgroung. That proposed case never saw the light of day as I recall.

Then posters here with some sort of backgrounds in the study, worked it back and forth letter by letter in the note.

A very long line of EXPERTS have paraded through this case.

I am wondering and have not done any research, going to leave it up to the readers here. IF IF everyone in America for example wrote the same words on a tablet with the same sort of instrument, HOW many of those samples would be inconclusive about just WHO wrote WHAT.

What are the chances that given the example I have outlined, that maybe the outcome would reveal the same number of similarities as the note writer did to Patsy, AND to a much greater number of people?

THEN another test using just the people who are known to be ambidextrous such as Patsy was, using the opposing hand write the same words and with the same instrument.

I doubt that an ENORMOUS test of this kind could ever be done, but in fairness to any VICTIMS who could benefit from such comparables, HOW would or could it provide better information.

No doubt with so FEW ransom notes ever having been written, that no such study has ever been or will ever be conducted. That in itself points a big finger, you know where.

IF IF we can do it with DNA, it might be a worthy test.

I am hoping that someone with time and ability can search this out while I am gone gone from the forum for a bit, and keep it alive in my absence, if my thought has any breath of life in it.

With all of the terrorist things going on with Foreign Factions, it is interesting to note that they do not send Ransom notes BEFORE their crimes.

What I have noted is that they take responsibility for what they do AFTER the deed is done and make their demands known at that time. BUT then Foreign Factions may all have a different code of ethics on what is done and who is to do 'it'.

Camper,

Actually, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation did something similar to this early in the investigation. The CBI analyzed the handwriting of 73 suspects and rated the results. John was eliminated as the writer of the ransom note. Patsy, Burke, and a good number of others could not be eliminated as the possible writer.

BlueCrab

Don't know if anyone has ever commented on this before but Patsy was a horrible speller. from the 1996 Christmas letter:

John is always on the go travelling hither and yon.

Also,the world hither makes me think of hence. PR likes to use these odd,old fashioned, not often used words. Hither. Hence.

Patsy wrote that note.

starry said:
Don't know if anyone has ever commented on this before but Patsy was a horrible speller. from the 1996 Christmas letter:

Also,the world hither makes me think of hence. PR likes to use these odd,old fashioned, not often used words. Hither. Hence.

Patsy wrote that note.

starry,

"traveling" and "travelling" are both accepted spellings of the word.

I personally don't think Patsy wrote the ransom note. The CBI's handwriting experts, who had the original note to examine and had all of the historic and current exemplars from Patsy to study, say it's not likely she wrote it.

Darnay Hoffman's examiners, who were told the captions in Burke's photo album were written by Patsy, said the person who wrote the captions also probably wrote the ransom note. But I'm convinced Burke wrote the captions, not Patsy. When Patsy was asked who wrote the captions she said she doesn't remember.

BlueCrab

starry said:

Patsy wrote that note.
I grew up using and still use and hence. I hear reporters use it on TV. It may or may not be regional but there is nothing odd about it.

Thank you BC for the traveling/travelling info. As my business card says "Board for the travelling horse"

Not to be argumentive but travelling might be acceptable but in US english it is spelled traveling. Put it in Word and see what happens.

I've used hence myself but I don't think it's commonly used by most people. Dont' think I've ever said, hither, unless it was tongue in cheek.

forgot to add: I don't agree with you, BC on Burke's baby book, either. I'd bet most baby books are filled out by the mother not the child. I've never seen one that wasn't filled out by anyone other than the Moms. Not even by the Dad's.

BlueCrab said:
starry,

"traveling" and "travelling" are both accepted spellings of the word.

I personally don't think Patsy wrote the ransom note. The CBI's handwriting experts, who had the original note to examine and had all of the historic and current exemplars from Patsy to study, say it's not likely she wrote it.

Darnay Hoffman's examiners, who were told the captions in Burke's photo album were written by Patsy, said the person who wrote the captions also probably wrote the ransom note. But I'm convinced Burke wrote the captions, not Patsy. When Patsy was asked who wrote the captions she said she doesn't remember.

BlueCrab

BlueCrab,

Anyone can see right through Patsy's answer on that one!
Just by the process of elimination can pretty much answer that question.There were four people who lived in that house. I highly doubt John wrote it,JonBenet was too young,so it was either Patsy or Burke.I tend to think it was Patsy.
I don't know if it's rumor or not,but didn't one of Burke's teachers say,reports that were sent home,that the parents had to comment on and sign,then return to school,Patsy always wrote out,but started typing it after JB's murder?

capps said:
BlueCrab,

Just by the process of elimination can pretty much answer that question.There were four people who lived in that house. I highly doubt John wrote it,JonBenet was too young,so it was either Patsy or Burke.I tend to think it was Patsy.
I don't know if it's rumor or not,but didn't one of Burke's teachers say,reports that were sent home,that the parents had to comment on and sign,then return to school,Patsy always wrote out,but started typing it after JB's murder?
I'll point out that a house is not a closed system. The process of elimination is not applicable.

Holdontoyourhat said:
I'll point out that a house is not a closed system. The process of elimination is not applicable.

HOTYH,

Welcome back stranger ....

That's true.
But when you're talking about a caption in a baby book,IMO,the odds are pretty high,it was someone in that household...and I eliminated it down to Patsy.

I'm willing to bet Patsy wrote that note. I agree that she liked to use big and somewhat archaic words, and I really doubt a nine year old boy wrote a note that long, that detailed, and worded the way it was, right down to "attache case" with an accent mark. Patsy was all swept up in French things, she'd be certain to have the proper accent mark where it belongs. The length and the elaboration of the ransom note seems to be trademark Patsy, and I have a really hard time trying to see a 9 yr old boy go to those great lengths to write a note to cover up what happened to JB. 9 yr olds don't get that detailed...they're children who think like children. Perhaps if there was some schoolwork that Burke had turned in that was as detailed and as lengthy and wordy as the RN, I could see it, but otherwise, my money's onj Patsy as the author.

As for the baby book, there's no way I'd believe anyone other than Patsy wrote any captions. 9 yr old boys just don't stop and add descriptive text to scrapbooks, that's a mother's thing. My own mother wrote my baby book out as if I were the one writing it. And Patsy saying, "I don't remember" when asked who wrote it, come on...either it was her or it wasn't, and she knows which one it was.

It's also very very interesting that Patsy changed the shape of her a's from the manuscript a to the regular one after the murder, and also that she may have started typing notes to teachers instead of writing them. If that's true, I would say that points to her being the author of the note - what other parent takes the time to line up a paper in a typewriter and peck away? One who's trying to avoid using her own handwriting.

capps said:
BlueCrab,

How can you not remember who wrote captions in a family album?? For crying out loud! Give me a break! I am the youngest of 8 children and I am sure that at a very young age I could have EASILY identified any of my immediate family's handwriting. For her to say she couldn't remember is utter rubbish! She doesn't have to actually REMEMBER - she would be able to judge at a quick glance.

Although I believe that she did write the note, I don't think the fact that she started typing after the murder to be indicative of guilt. IF I were Patsy and I were innocent, I would do the same thing. In that situation I would not trust ANYONE and the last thing I would want is to see my every hand written note on the front of the Enquirer.

Beyond belief brought up on the Ransom note thread that use of contractions is very limited in the note. Don't is the only contraction used in the ransom note and it is used twice at the end when the note becomes personal, there were at least 9 other opportunities to use contractions in the note, they were not. There is also a hyphen between pick and up.

The emails from JMK to Tracey that have been published so far also are devoid of contractions.

Finally, the Patricia letters, at least the last one is missing contractions as well.

Call me crazy, but maybe it isn't just the look of the handwriting but possibly what is said and how it is worded.

Contractions do not prove guilt or innocence but they do show a pattern and it is overtly apparent.

BeyondBelief cited the following:
Correct grammar for a classroom essay #6 Never use contractions

http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/wr...des/grammar.cfm

absolut said:
Beyond belief brought up on the Ransom note thread that use of contractions is very limited in the note. Don't is the only contraction used in the ransom note and it is used twice at the end when the note becomes personal, there were at least 9 other opportunities to use contractions in the note, they were not. There is also a hyphen between pick and up.

The emails from JMK to Tracey that have been published so far also are devoid of contractions.

Finally, the Patricia letters, at least the last one is missing contractions as well.

Call me crazy, but maybe it isn't just the look of the handwriting but possibly what is said and how it is worded.

Contractions do not prove guilt or innocence but they do show a pattern and it is overtly apparent.

BeyondBelief cited the following:
Correct grammar for a classroom essay #6 Never use contractions

http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/wr...des/grammar.cfm

To tell you the truth, I never use contractions. I am also the hyphen-queen, lol!!!

But, you are correct. I have not noticed any contractions in the Patricia letters.

Old Broad said:
Karr was a teacher, would a teacher be less likely to use them?

OB

I use 'em all the time and I'm a teacher. But the use of them is more a part of "voice--" the character/personality of the writer coming through. Not using contractions creates a more formal style. Contractions are informal and indicate a closer relationship or a more casual tone. I sometimes use contractions for parent letters to deliberately soften the tone of requests or rules.

Use of contractions is also not common with second language learners--as are idioms, which is why the "foreign faction" of the ransom note did not ring true with me. Too many slang phrases.

WolfmarsGirl said:
To tell you the truth, I never use contractions. I am also the hyphen-queen, lol!!!

But, you are correct. I have not noticed any contractions in the Patricia letters.

Ha! And I am the ellipsis queen ...

:D

I am sure this has probably been done 9,000 times, but would someone please post a copy of the original Ransom note compared to Patsy Ramsey's RIGHT AND LEFT handed comparisons.

I know it is somewhere to be found, but I can't find it......... or email it to me and we can delete the thread, unless you guys want to discuss it.....

This isn't the left / right comparison, but it is telling.

Linky

I couldn't find the document that you were looking for either, despite the fact that I saw it recently.

Hopefully someone else with be along with the link. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back