Who is Hannah Graham?

Alright I did some sleuthing. This article quotes a friend as saying "Hannah was partying with her at one of "her" sorority events". It could be referring to the friend's sorority, or Hannah's. If it was both of their sororities, I would be "their sorority"... However, I did look up that friend who is quoted and there is a picture of the chapter and I *think* Hannah is in it. Does anyone else want to look?
http://wtvr.com/2014/09/15/police-r...missing-u-va-student-hannah-elizabeth-graham/

Not sure what I'm allowed to post. It is the friend who mentions the sorority, on social media, a picture of a group of ladies with a building in the background. Hannah *may* be on the right side but it is hard to tell. If so, it may mean she was in Kappa Delta... However, 1) She doesn't appear in a single photo on the sorority's website and 2) it's odd she wasn't mentioned when the parents listed the groups of people who would be missing her...

Alright I did some sleuthing. This article quotes a friend as saying "Hannah was partying with her at one of "her" sorority events". It could be referring to the friend's sorority, or Hannah's. If it was both of their sororities, I would be "their sorority"... However, I did look up that friend who is quoted and there is a picture of the chapter and I *think* Hannah is in it. Does anyone else want to look?
http://wtvr.com/2014/09/15/police-r...missing-u-va-student-hannah-elizabeth-graham/

Not sure what I'm allowed to post. It is the friend who mentions the sorority, on social media, a picture of a group of ladies with a building in the background. Hannah *may* be on the right side but it is hard to tell. If so, it may mean she was in Kappa Delta... However, 1) She doesn't appear in a single photo on the sorority's website and 2) it's odd she wasn't mentioned when the parents listed the groups of people who would be missing her...

I can't search at the moment, but I think I remember the photo you're talking about from when I went scouring the web a few weeks ago on a mission to find if she was in a sorority :) I remember seeing a pic like you described and thinking it was HG, but couldn't quite tell. Honestly, HG looks so different to me in so many various pictures that I've seen of her! If not for people stating it is her, I'd have a hard time making a connection on a lot of different photos.

As for Kappa Delta- in that video linked above, it is the KD house behind her on the front steps in that photo with other girls. So that's the one, if she was in it.

I can't search at the moment, but I think I remember the photo you're talking about from when I went scouring the web a few weeks ago on a mission to find if she was in a sorority :) I remember seeing a pic like you described and thinking it was HG, but couldn't quite tell. Honestly, HG looks so different to me in so many various pictures that I've seen of her! If not for people stating it is her, I'd have a hard time making a connection on a lot of different photos.

As for Kappa Delta- in that video linked above, it is the KD house behind her on the front steps in that photo with other girls. So that's the one, if she was in it.

No it was a picture kinda farther away with the house far in the background. There is a red-head with sunglasses on but cannot tell if it's her! Hmmm I wonder if she was pledging...? If so, I wonder if that had anything to do with her behavior that night?

No it was a picture kinda farther away with the house far in the background. There is a red-head with sunglasses on but cannot tell if it's her! Hmmm I wonder if she was pledging...? If so, I wonder if that had anything to do with her behavior that night?

Hm, yeah, not sure if I remember one like that- but there were actually one or two that I found (somewhere... lost in the copious pages of internet abyss) that seemed like they could maybe be her. One of them I was unsure about was an indoor pic with her in the back left-ish. The group of girls were dressed up like a theme party of some sort it seemed, or a celebration. And then there was one on the Lawn with a handful of girls and she was possibly on the right? Anyway.... sorry, I have NO idea where I found them now and it'd take way to long to try to recreate :scared:

It is a mystery. I do wonder though about the events preceding McGrady's and if there was a specific thing/event that happened and if it was related to her sorority if she was in one. Not that it probably would matter or make any difference (sorority or not), but I'm just curious.

One case I think is somewhat similar to this case---yet was portrayed by the media completely different---is the Natalee Holloway case. Both girls went missing after similar circumstances, yet the media built a completely different image of each of them:

When Natalee first went missing, there was a lot of denial that she was drinking that night. This denial led to a backlash of sorts---and even today, I see comments from people criticizing this. I was on a website where people posted pictures of Natalee with a red cup, or people will post revelations about how Natalee was really acting that night. “See she wasn’t perfect!” sort of thing.

Hannah also went missing after partying, but there has never been any sort of cover-up or denial over this. I think this is why I have not seen as many victim blamers in the Graham case, compared to the Holloway case. It feels like because the media was more upfront about what Hannah was doing that night, the public was less critical.

Going back to Natalee’s case, I constantly people hear describing Natalee as “wealthy”. I doubt that most of the people who called her that could tell you why---do they know what her parents do for a living? We found out after Hannah was found, that her father worked for the World Bank. I am not saying they were wealthy, but if the media start shoving that fact down people’s throats, everyone would think the Grahams were a wealthy and prestigious family.

In conclusion, it feels like the image of Natalee was one of an attractive blonde beautiful All-American girl, while Hannah’s image was more of a blank slate. Since we follow the case closely, we know a decent amount about her, but I feel like for the general public, you could see her however you want to. For instance, we know that Hannah skipped a grade, but the media hasn’t really made a big deal over that, or made her out to be a genius. Hannah was remarkable, but I think the media held back from building this image of this perfect girl, which they definitely could have, because they wanted the public to relate to her. It feels like the media took a completely different approach to covering her case compared to Natalee's.

Hi, HFF...Someone posted a still pic of the shot from the video--it was on WS, but I haven't been able to locate it. HG is definitely in the picture.

Hi, HFF...Someone posted a still pic of the shot from the video--it was on WS, but I haven't been able to locate it. HG is definitely in the picture.

Now I'm confused :) HFF, you are talking about a different photo from the one in the video linked above? A different photo that you found on personal sites somewhere- with a sorority house farther away in the background?

Or are you talking about this same photo we see with HG standing in front of the KD sign that's here in the video?

At UVA "girls in pearls" refers to one of their traditions ("girls in pearls, guys in ties" referring to how they're supposed to dress for football games) and isn't used by sororities as far as I know. I have several friends at UVA who are in KD and none of them are friends with Hannah on facebook, and normally the entire sorority is friends with each other, so I think she had sorority friends but wasn't in one herself. Also, KD didn't participate in informal recruitment this year (so she wouldn't have been at any recruitment activities in the fall) and Hannah is also not in any pictures on KD's website. She might have been in another sorority, but I think that's highly unlikely because she never mentioned it on social media (she mentions VASST a lot so she wouldn't have kept quiet about being in a sorority) and it was never mentioned in news reports. If someone went missing from my sorority we would probably host a vigil, or fundraise, or raise awareness over social media, but because none of that was done, I highly doubt she was in one.

At UVA "girls in pearls" refers to one of their traditions ("girls in pearls, guys in ties" referring to how they're supposed to dress for football games) and isn't used by sororities as far as I know. I have several friends at UVA who are in KD and none of them are friends with Hannah on facebook, and normally the entire sorority is friends with each other, so I think she had sorority friends but wasn't in one herself. Also, KD didn't participate in informal recruitment this year (so she wouldn't have been at any recruitment activities in the fall) and Hannah is also not in any pictures on KD's website. She might have been in another sorority, but I think that's highly unlikely because she never mentioned it on social media (she mentions VASST a lot so she wouldn't have kept quiet about being in a sorority) and it was never mentioned in news reports. If someone went missing from my sorority we would probably host a vigil, or fundraise, or raise awareness over social media, but because none of that was done, I highly doubt she was in one.

Rkeee- can you ask her UVa friends who are in KD if HG was in their sorority?

They're friends from high school so I don't really feel comfortable asking because I'm not super close with them. I don't know if this level of sleuthing is allowed or not, but she isn't friends with the president of KD and is only friends with one girl on the executive board (she's a friend of a friend, so I know her and Hannah were super close, so maybe the KD picture is from a public event that was being held at their house). If you're not friends with the girls on the executive board, then you'll never know what's going on in the sorority and again, mostly everyone in a sorority are facebook friends with each other. Hannah also never had a "little" facebook page made for her (after rushing everyone gets a big, and their big makes them a facebook page for big/little week).

Now I'm confused :) HFF, you are talking about a different photo from the one in the video linked above? A different photo that you found on personal sites somewhere- with a sorority house farther away in the background?

Or are you talking about this same photo we see with HG standing in front of the KD sign that's here in the video?

completely different picture, on social media. The friend quoted in the article I posted.

As my own 18-year-old daughter is home on break from college, I can't help but think of the Graham family at this time of year. I know I hug my daughter a little longer now and tell her I love her more often than she thinks is normal. I wish the Graham family peace in what will always be a difficult time of year for them.

I hope Hannah Graham's parents, brother and grandparents know that their beautiful and departed girl is alive in many hearts during this season meant for warmth and wonder. May their ailing hearts heal as they continue to love her.

Hannah and her family are remembered today, as well as Morgan and her family.

Thinking of Hannah and Morgan today.. :( my prayers out to the families!
May God give them peace and strength as they go through this trial and mourning, missing a part of their family...
Hope everyone is having a nice Christmas. :)

(Not sure why people are trying to look into the #girlsinpearls so much. I graduated from a southern college and we always joked about girls in pearls. As we were wearing the pearls. It's not always a sorority sign, but sometimes also just a college thing and sometimes even tongue in cheek. Pearls, a Lilly dress, and a pair of Jacks are sort of a "college" thing with girls and also a joke in some circles. We'd wear the whole outfit to parties and yet my friends and I would joke about what we were wearing. Girls would go to class in sweats, but be sure to wear their pearls. I'd pass the gym and see my friends working out and ask why they weren't wearing even bigger pearls.)

Like all of you, Hannah and her family have been on my mind. In a way, I'm glad the media hasn't released too much information. People would probably look into every little thing and try to dissect it. (Maybe it's because I haven't visited in a while, but reading some of the posts seem seem a bit condescending towards her. As if some small piece of information you could sink your teeth into would somehow make her even a smidgen more responsible for what happened.)

(Not sure why people are trying to look into the #girlsinpearls so much. I graduated from a southern college and we always joked about girls in pearls. As we were wearing the pearls. It's not always a sorority sign, but sometimes also just a college thing and sometimes even tongue in cheek. Pearls, a Lilly dress, and a pair of Jacks are sort of a "college" thing with girls and also a joke in some circles. We'd wear the whole outfit to parties and yet my friends and I would joke about what we were wearing. Girls would go to class in sweats, but be sure to wear their pearls. I'd pass the gym and see my friends working out and ask why they weren't wearing even bigger pearls.)

Like all of you, Hannah and her family have been on my mind. In a way, I'm glad the media hasn't released too much information. People would probably look into every little thing and try to dissect it. (Maybe it's because I haven't visited in a while, but reading some of the posts seem seem a bit condescending towards her. As if some small piece of information you could sink your teeth into would somehow make her even a smidgen more responsible for what happened.)

Hey Whiskers, me too, I hope the best for her family. I wonder at their pain through the holiday season, and the same for Morgan's parents, the Murphy's and the names, faces and families of those still missing or with unresolved deaths, that Hannah Graham's case brought up. You're right, some people will pick endlessly at whatever comes up, but it may have so little to do who Hannah Graham is and more to do with them.
Be well, you.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288