Identified! WI - Delafield, WhtMale, UP7632, car stolen, lighter, Sep'77 - John Lindberg Scott

I sent an email to the Waukesha County Sheriffs and I received a reply already!

"Thank you for your interest in this case. Unfortunately, all I can do is attempt to contact next of kin on the Missouri kid. I have nothing to match the Missouri kid to except for the body which is buried in a nearby cemetery."

I found an article from the "Milwaukee Journal" back in 1980 that has some interesting information on this case.

1. The UID rode a bicycle to the home where the car was stolen, and subsequently left the bike there.
2. The article states the lighter has the inscription "To John Love Laura" and not "Lauri" as previously indicated
3. No "John" was reported missing from the Gurnee area at the time

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...WoaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=uCsEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4749,1755853

Another thing to note, even though it may just be a hunch on my part, is that in May of 1976 the Marriott Company opened what is now known as Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, IL.

"Here is the wiki link" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Flags_Great_America

So "John" who apparently was on a bicycle before stealing the car in Gurnee may have been a visitor/non-res. He may have very well stolen the bicycle too...after visiting the theme park. Perhaps he was pissed off at being ditched? Fight with a GF/Laura or Lauri?

Being a Wisconsin guy, I have visited Six Flags many times in my lifetime. Gurnee is only a "hop skip and a jump" south of the Wisconsin/Illinois border. This may explain his route to the Delafield area, I would like to find out if the cops "chased" him northbound into WI or if he was spotted in the stolen car after crossing the state line.

I'm also looking into anyone who may have escaped from notorius serial killer John Wayne Gacy as that twisted case was being built around that same time.

Thanks, masnitram for great find. He could be at the Six Flags with Laura or by alone & left the area via stolen bike and car before untimely death. It's hard to believe nobody able to ID him for 33 yrs despite clearly post mortem photos of him. "John" is more likely comes from rural states such as SD, ND, WY, Montana, Nebraska or even Canada which his family/friends assume he walk out his old life and wandered across the states. That's why nobody reports him as missing person. It's rare for him to be clean cut guy for mid 1970's which most young guys are long hair & sideburns appearance. It's sad that nobody know what happened to him. He's same situation as UID USMC guy that are found in Downingtown, PA which are not been ID for 42 yrs.

Hey thanks KLCD620! Another thing to consider about the Gurnee, IL area is the "Great Lakes Naval Station", which has been in operation since the early 1900's. Hundreds if not thousands of Navy guys/gals from throughout the US have either trained, lived, or had been stationed there. Maybe "John" went AWOL.....Vietnam ended in 1975, only two years prior...while I'm not a war expert and not 100% sure of any Naval involvment ( I was born in '77 FYI)....there may be some "post tramatic stress" or related war issue with "John".

Douglas Mueller for some reason seems to look familiar to a lot of folks regarding different missing/uid cases. Same goes for me here; the nose of "John Doe" and Douglas stick out here as well as their respective ages. In this case though, the old "Blue eyes/Brown Eyes" argument applies here too. But as the article I posted suggests a difference in the inscription on John's lighter "Laura...not Lauri as posted on various missing persons sights"...one can argue about discrepencies all day, point is...Douglas strikes a chord with me.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mueller_douglas.html

Good try, but there are big differences of hairstyle & eyebrows thickness between JD and DM. Also, the Charley Project doesn't have enough info for distinguishing characteristics as NCMA did . Who knows he might change his looks after he fake his own kidnap. I can't imagine that JD would plunk out his brows so heavily. It hurts.

I hear you loud and clear KLCD620 and I appreciate the reply. Both cases bother me immensely. The thing that stuck out was the flatness of both DM and JD's nose. The age and the physical descriptions are relatively close....I suppose it isn't hard to lose a few pounds and change your hairstyle while "on the run" or "abducted" or whatever really happened with DM. If you consider the 6 months difference in when DM was reported and when JD crashed.....a lot can happen in 6 months, including "new hair". I am curious if John Doe was "cleaned up" considerably before being photographed. His hair combed, washed, etc....you can't speak up to your "stylist" in that condition so who knows. It bothers me that JD has his hair color listed as Brown too, I guess it is subjective because it looks more "dirty blonde" or even Auburn to me. It would be great to see a color photo of DM too, my folks have a B&W HS Graduation photo of me and I was "dirty" blond too at 18 ...in the photo I definately look "darker" in terms of hair color as does DM who is listed as "blonde". Anyways, I'm going to keep plugging away at John Doe...something will click......

True, most are change their physical appearances once they walk out their old life or run away from home. JD could be clean up before being photographed. He still have dry blood stains on his face & hair but no cuts. That's odd for being car rolled over as accident. I'm sure he died from head impact.

His ID is pretty harder now since I found none of the missing reports come from Doe Network & Charley Project that matches his descriptions. I thought the recognizable pictures of JD might be ID right away by someone (relatives, friends, ex-coworkers) that knows him so well. My best guess is his family disowned him and never bother to check out what happened to his life. It may be the reason nobody reports him as missing person.

If JD lives somewhere at the apt in any town of Wisc or IL, how come the landlord/neighbors doesn't notify the LE about missing person from the resident place/gives the LE the name of UID JD if they happen to know him? The landlord would clean out his place if it stays unoccupied much longer & not to pay the rent. I'm sure his ID is out there. We know that there's no computer in 1977 for anyone to find him & his identity. Same thing for RMV. The data of his name/SS numbers/photos would pop up in today technology.

I found an article from the "Milwaukee Journal" back in 1980 that has some interesting information on this case.

1. The UID rode a bicycle to the home where the car was stolen, and subsequently left the bike there.
2. The article states the lighter has the inscription "To John Love Laura" and not "Lauri" as previously indicated
3. No "John" was reported missing from the Gurnee area at the time

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...WoaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=uCsEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4749,1755853

For what it's worth: The second part of the article also says it was a "Zippo" lighter.

Sounds to me like this guy was possibly running from the law. Maybe he was wanted in a nearby state?

The age doesn't jive here; but it is the only other unsolved case from Wisconsin that I can find regarding a fugitive, missing person, mystery in the 1970's. It has been reported that Leo Burt was born in 1948 but in some cases it is also reported that birth records also indicate 1950...so there is a conflict. I cant find any indication wether Leo Burt was uncircumsised or had a detal plate so who knows.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-08-14-burt_x.htm
http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=47481

a blog that puts Leo Burt in Deerfield in 1970

http://wisconsinology.blogspot.com/2008/04/rowers-and-bombersthe-terrorist-attack.html

UID John Doe #0068 was found dead in Delafield, WI. Fugitive Leo Burt have been in Deerfield, WI before. According to google map, it's 3 different driving directions (122-129 miles) between both towns. Do you think he tried to get the trip to Deerfield from Gurnee?

UID John Doe #0068 was found dead in Delafield, WI. Fugitive Leo Burt have been in Deerfield, WI before. According to google map, it's 3 different driving directions (122-129 miles) between both towns. Do you think he tried to get the trip to Deerfield from Gurnee?

That is an anomoly; the village of Deerfield is closer to Madison where the bombing took place. The Deerfield that shows up on Google Maps I can't figure out exactly WHAT that is... here is a link for the Village of Deerfield.

http://www.deerfieldwi.com/

Delafield would be approx the half-way point for a Gurnee, IL to Madison(or Deerfield) WI trip

The age doesn't jive here; but it is the only other unsolved case from Wisconsin that I can find regarding a fugitive, missing person, mystery in the 1970's. It has been reported that Leo Burt was born in 1948 but in some cases it is also reported that birth records also indicate 1950...so there is a conflict. I cant find any indication wether Leo Burt was uncircumsised or had a detal plate so who knows.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-08-14-burt_x.htm
http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=47481

a blog that puts Leo Burt in Deerfield in 1970

http://wisconsinology.blogspot.com/2008/04/rowers-and-bombersthe-terrorist-attack.html

JMO of course, but I don't think the picture in the USAToday looks anything like the UID. Burt has curly, darker hair, and the UID has light brown/blondish straight hair. Their noses look different to me also. But, good thinking on looking for someone on the run!

JMO of course, but I don't think the picture in the USAToday looks anything like the UID. Burt has curly, darker hair, and the UID has light brown/blondish straight hair. Their noses look different to me also. But, good thinking on looking for someone on the run!

Billy, I agree about the hair. Both are listed as "brown"...I agree that JD has lighter hair. I wish that there was a color photo of Leo Burt! As I said before I have a B&W picture of me and that photo makes my hair look MUCH darker then it actually was. I also agree about the nose, but who knows how "busted up" JD got in the accident. You can clearly see dried blood on JD from the photos too so I imagie he was cleaned up a bit...which may include an new "hairdo". And after 7 years ('70-'77)...who knows...

Masnitram-you did great job of researching on JD and you also knows the areas of WI & IL more than us. It's not easy to ID him when nobody reports the missing person from any database that looks like him. I feel bad about him being UID for 33 yrs. Someday, we can find his name & get closure for his family/relatives/friends. I don't get it when they cannot find him by advance technology today.

It looks like he was going W on 94- before the cop tried to pull him over and he got off 1-94 at the W. bound exit ramp for Golf Rd. Then he lost it in the fog. (all per last link from masnitram)...but I really liked the scetch from page 2 of the first news link. I wish I could figure out how to get it on here.

I reread my first article and noticed that the coroner speculated that JD was wearing new clothes from Gaedes. Which would put JD in Wheaton, IL somewhere close to Sept 14 1977. (Wheaton, IL to Gurnee, IL is about an hour by car...same with Wheaton to Chicago and Chicago to Gurnee) Now I don't belive you end up in Wisconsin at 4:30AM in a stolen car without a "destination in mind". The fact that JD was on a bicycle before stealing the car (assuming late night 9/13/77 or very early AM 9/14/77) in Gurnee has me wondering about where he was "staying" that night. A bike ride from Wheaton or Chicago at that time of night/day is very unlikely and unrealistic.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back