GUILTY WI - Edith Schuth, 86, found dead in freezer, La Crosse, 15 Aug 2000

I was responding to the idea that he was justified hitting the kid because he had a right to "defend your own property" - and that the shooting thing was all he did really wrong and was just "shooting at people and hopefully he didn't hurt them" - it wouldn't take much and the father would be dead, not just shot. And it wasn't the father's fault for being a good neighbor and going to talk to his neighbor (maybe find out his son was in the wrong and needed to be punished) rather than going right to the police right away. The father was being reasonable, and got shot for it.

I do feel some degree of pity since he's mentally ill, and it seems to be his mother's fault - but he still did it, and that shows he doesn't belong out in society until and unless he can be fixed. Involuntary commitment is where I'd put him.

Details said:
I was responding to the idea that he was justified hitting the kid because he had a right to "defend your own property" - and that the shooting thing was all he did really wrong and was just "shooting at people and hopefully he didn't hurt them" - it wouldn't take much and the father would be dead, not just shot. And it wasn't the father's fault for being a good neighbor and going to talk to his neighbor (maybe find out his son was in the wrong and needed to be punished) rather than going right to the police right away. The father was being reasonable, and got shot for it.

I do feel some degree of pity since he's mentally ill, and it seems to be his mother's fault - but he still did it, and that shows he doesn't belong out in society until and unless he can be fixed. Involuntary commitment is where I'd put him.

I am dealing with this on a daily basis and I can only say this is the only answer. He is so faulty but his mother is as well. In order to protect society it is the only answer but LE and others usually are reluctant to do this.Until my brother is locked away for good none of you have a reasonable expectation of safety because no one knows when he will act out and on whom.

You know, I know of a situation very simular to this. There is this woman who is probably in her early 50's. She is an only child. Her father died in 1968 leaving just her & her Mom. They became very reclusive after his death. The woman will go out occasionaly and walk down the street to the post office or to the store and thats it. No one that I know of has seen the mother in several years. She would probably be in her late 80's now if she is still living. I personally think that the mother has been dead for some time & is probably in a freezer or something. This is in a very small town where everbody knows everybodies business but nobody knows what happened to the Mother. Of course some people think that she is still alive and well but I seriously doubt it. They have no vehicle. I know the lady who lives next door and she told me that she has not seen the mother for about 5 years.

concernedperson said:
I am dealing with this on a daily basis and I can only say this is the only answer. He is so faulty but his mother is as well. In order to protect society it is the only answer but LE and others usually are reluctant to do this.Until my brother is locked away for good none of you have a reasonable expectation of safety because no one knows when he will act out and on whom.
The problem is that the involuntary commitment standards have gone from being too lax (easy to involuntarily commit people who shouldn't be) to far too strict (almost impossible to commit anyone who doesn't have a knife in their hand stabbed into someone else's back). And once committed, they can't be kept long (once they drop the knife, basically). And worse yet, all the funding has been cut so there's hardly anywhere to put someone now even if they do qualify.

Details said:
The problem is that the involuntary commitment standards have gone from being too lax (easy to involuntarily commit people who shouldn't be) to far too strict (almost impossible to commit anyone who doesn't have a knife in their hand stabbed into someone else's back). And once committed, they can't be kept long (once they drop the knife, basically). And worse yet, all the funding has been cut so there's hardly anywhere to put someone now even if they do qualify.

It is 30 days unless as you say there is a knife or gun. He is out and has threatened one of my sisters...she won't go back to visit (he lives with my parents) and I won't go as he has threatened me too. My other sister won't go either and my other brother has backed away. So, my parents are isolated with him. Mom loves it, I am sure, but Dad is suffering. Nothing to do about it just wait for the other shoe to fall. A pretty bad situation all around but I value life too much to be put in a life threatening situation.

A lousy situation, and one that will only get better through tragedy. Where do you live? Are they working at all on improving the involuntary commitment standards - or do you parents even want to go that route?

I'm so sorry to hear about that - it's a horrible thing to have happen to your family - and there's so little to be done.

Details said:
A lousy situation, and one that will only get better through tragedy. Where do you live? Are they working at all on improving the involuntary commitment standards - or do you parents even want to go that route?

I'm so sorry to hear about that - it's a horrible thing to have happen to your family - and there's so little to be done.

My parents say not at this time. I live 700 hundred miles away so that is good. I won't go around and neither will my children as they are fully apprised of the situation. It is waiting for a time bomb to go off and nothing you can do....police already know about this BTW. I read their local news daily just in case it is something hinkey. I just wait...and you are right it will take a tragedy. In that case, I want them to exhume the bodies of one of my sisters and my grandmother.

concernedperson said:
My parents say not at this time. I live 700 hundred miles away so that is good. I won't go around and neither will my children as they are fully apprised of the situation. It is waiting for a time bomb to go off and nothing you can do....police already know about this BTW. I read their local news daily just in case it is something hinkey. I just wait...and you are right it will take a tragedy. In that case, I want them to exhume the bodies of one of my sisters and my grandmother.
They're dead? Oh, boy - I think you are right. You can't get them exhumed now?

Details said:
They're dead? Oh, boy - I think you are right. You can't get them exhumed now?

Small town, lots of political connections. Not something you do. I only wish I was astute enough at the time to make a connection as I could have made this happen. But I was on the my family couldn't do this page. But I am sure my brother did this especially in light of his deteriorization.It is not just bi-polar which I have heard his meds are for but it is his total delusional state....he only recognizes family that are dead or nearly dead. He also was a major killer of animals from his teens to his forties.He also is the biggest sponge of the world and hasn't paid rent in 30 years.He doesn't work and used government funds to bankroll his education that he never used and then bankrupted against that. He is one of those that slips by because an uncle is a judge and his parents don't like the embarrassment. I am pass the point of humility where this cretin is concerned. I just hope that my loud voice will bring closure to some family some where.

CP, You have been able to reach them after the hurricane?
You might try two things.
First I am assuming that your parents are seniors (over 62?). Contact the senior services in that area and ask what agency does adult protection. Then contact that agency and give them the history and ask them to check on your parents.
Then you contact the mental health board in that county and tell them the story and your concern for your parents. Give them the past history. Ask what they can do to help, and then ask if they can go out and speak with your parents and let them know they services they can offer.
I know you are going to tell me that you have tried.
But the way I have it figured is that the visit from adult protection will get your brother stirred up. Then when mental health shows up, your brother may give enough indications of problems that mental health may be able to step in. You can ask both agencies to keep your complaint confidential.

Yeouch! Well, not any comfort, but your parents have made their own bed. Situations like that shouldn't exist. Judges should not have the ability to do things like that. Nothing else you can really do.

From March 2012:

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/phi...cle_ef4bd46e-7565-11e1-b762-001871e3ce6c.html

Schuth, who made himself infamous for storing his dead mother’s body in a freezer, finishes a seven-year prison term April 16...

He later pleaded no contest to attempted second-degree intentional homicide, concealing a corpse and two counts of first-degree recklessly endangering safety. He also pleaded guilty to federal Social Security fraud for continuing to collect his mother’s benefits after her death...

Schuth begins serving 10 years on extended supervision when released from the Columbia Correctional Institution in Portage, Wis.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back