Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #42

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought this was an interesting article. I have been wondering how Jake may have dealt with balding at such an early age and to what degree he may have been impacted by balding. I know one of the pictures I have seen posted shows him with a rather full head of curly hair and the others show his balding.

Anyway.....interesting article at link and just food for thought

"A major new study has revealed that hair loss can in fact trigger serious psychological breakdown - something my colleagues and I have believed for a long time.

Furthermore, researchers found it could even lead to exaggerated feelings of ugliness and, in the worst cases, trigger body dysmorphic disorder, where sufferers experience acute anxiety about their looks.

Doctors found that the 'enormous emotional burden' of going bald could lead in some cases to low self-confidence, mental disorders and even impaired quality of life."

"Researchers at the Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin - one of Europe's largest and most prestigious teaching hospitals - studied hair growth, hair disorders and changes in hair density and quality among patients.

I have previously argued that the impact of baldness has been ignored or dismissed by many in the medical establishment.

I concede, of course, that losing one's hair is not in the same category as experiencing, say, a heart attack or stroke. The affects may not be immediately life-threatening.

The new research makes clear the impact of hair loss can have equally far-reaching, and, sadly, devastating consequences."

New Research That Proves Just How Devastating Hair Loss Can Be

This is interesting. I'd like to know what conditions precipitated what appears to be significant hair loss by the age of 21 in the photos when he had not shaved his head. I've never seen any other male with that much hair loss at 21 years old.

While it looks to me like male pattern baldness which is usually a genetic factor in men, it might not be, or might not ONLY be that one thing. There are hormonal factors, malnutrition, lack of certain vitamins and minerals, protein deficiency, and trichotillomania ( deliberate and repetitive hair pulling from the scalp) which can also cause hair loss.

There's ALSO the weird possibility that he had hair but shaved it back on the sides to attempt to alter his looks to appear older. Most guys would not do this, but he's not " most guys" .

From my look at the house, if indeed the pics were taken at a time when he lived there, he looks to have been good about taking out the trash and doing dishes, but otherwise, I'm not seeing a lot of housecleaning. Jayme's mention of the thing used to clean blinds doesn't, to me, mean he actually cleaned blinds. It looks to me like generally speaking, except for stuff he used, things stayed where they were last placed or dropped, which could have been quite some time ago.

IMO, the " cleaning blinds" she interpreted could have been him looking out the blinds surreptitiously and compulsively. Likely, she'd not seen that sort of thing before.. He could have acted like he cleaned the blinds when she could see him because he was on the lookout in his cabin hideout.

If someone had a hostage and that person was a nationally reported Amber Alert with all we know about the publicity, I'd imagine he'd keep a close eye on the sky for drones and helicopters and the roads for any LE presence.

He had a survival manual in the living room which I think most of us believe he had for a long time. Maybe part of survival instructions in a hostage situation say something such as " If you are a hostage, try to stay alert to your surroundings". So, he stayed alert to his surroundings to try to avoid capture and to be alert to dad's unexpected dropping by, key in hand.

IMO, the " cleaning blinds" she interpreted could have been him looking out the blinds surreptitiously and compulsively. Likely, she'd not seen that sort of thing before.. He could have acted like he cleaned the blinds when she could see him because he was on the lookout in his cabin hideout.

If someone had a hostage and that person was a nationally reported Amber Alert with all we know about the publicity, I'd imagine he'd keep a close eye on the sky for drones and helicopters and the roads for any LE presence.

He had a survival manual in the living room which I think most of us believe he had for a long time. Maybe part of survival instructions in a hostage situation say something such as " If you are a hostage, try to stay alert to your surroundings". So, he stayed alert to his surroundings to try to avoid capture and to be alert to dad's unexpected dropping by, key in hand.

The only reference to cleaning blinds that I see in the complaint is that he hit her with the handle of something she thought was used to clean blinds. No reference to him using the tool as it was intended or anything else relating to blinds. Maybe I'm missing something?

The only reference to cleaning blinds that I see in the complaint is that he hit her with the handle of something she thought was used to clean blinds. No reference to him using the tool as it was intended or anything else relating to blinds. Maybe I'm missing something?

That's the way I read it, too. It didn't state that she saw him actually cleaning the blinds, only that he struck her with something that she said that was used to clean the blinds with.

I've been mulling over JP and I think the question for him was not, why should I do this? or why do I want to do this? but rather, why *not* do it? Lack of barriers, lack of empathy, lack of repulsion. I don't think it stemmed from his parents' divorce, or the failure in the military, though had he succeeded in the military, it might have taken his mind off the idea and propelled him into other things. We don't know how many people out there might have succumbed to unspeakably violence fantasies had they not simply been distracted at a crucial time.

Of course, the military was never going to happen for him. Why? I don't know, but I suspect that, like everything else, people are on a spectrum of ability to assimilate and socialize. He never did.

Last edited:
I think it looks like nail polish remover too, but I suspect it's been sitting there for years. Or JP uses it to clean paint off his boots, or something. The other odd detail that strikes me about that photo are the two crockpot-looking things in front of the TV.
Remove fingerprints from the ammo he used in the shotgun?
It was probably left from his mom or sister.
Moo

ETA: It is discussed on many military forums and I see some books on the military discuss the use of ACETONE to clean brass, old brass that has turned green and fingerprints. It will destroy the oils and the prints as well.
Can't be acetone -free nail polish though.
I believe that is why LE said he "methodically planned" it.
I don't think they could even get trace DNA from the shotgun shells.
Moo

Last edited:
I've been mulling over JP and I think the question for him was not, why should I do this? or why do I want to do this? but rather, why *not* do it? Lack of barriers, lack of empathy, lack of repulsion. I don't think it stemmed from his parents' divorce, or the failure in the military, though had he succeeded in the military, it might have taken his mind off the idea and propelled him into other things. We don't know how many people out there might have succumbed to unspeakably violence fantasies had they not simply been distracted at a crucial time.

Of course, the military was never going to happen for him. Why? I don't know, but I suspect that, like everything else, people are on a spectrum of ability to assimilate and socialize. He never did.

I have to agree you with, perhaps WHY NOT?. I do see him as a narcissist, especially with regard to how eager he was to claim responsibility for his crimes. He doesn't appear to have been too successful in life after high school (and likely not during) and he was pretty much a no body. I think he took pleasure and pride in what he masterminded and "pulled off". If only there was away to climb inside his head for a brief moment to extract what his reasoning was.

Just to add. It was two weeks ago this afternoon that Jayme found freedom.

Last edited:
If it turns out that JP was reading online (no evidence here yet) about other "men" who committed terrible crimes, he may have become frustrated that he was never going to be followed by others if he wasn't caught. Maybe the fun was the anticipation of being admired by the online weirdos of the world and day to day life guarding a sad girl lost its luster. MOO

Remove fingerprints from the ammo he used in the shotgun?
It was probably left from his mom or sister.
Moo

ETA: It is discussed on many military forums and I see some books on the military discuss the use of ACETONE to clean brass, old brass that has turned green and fingerprints. It will destroy the oils and the prints as well.
Can't be acetone -free nail polish though.
I believe that is why LE said he "methodically planned" it.
I don't think they could even get trace DNA from the shotgun shells.
Moo
He also was apparently wearing the gloves when he loaded the gun, to prevent fingerprints or DNA being found at the scene. Imo

Someone on this thread said nail polish remover can be a drug-thing.

The other thing that strikes me relates both to this photo and something Jayme said.

1. Despite looking like it got stuck in a time -warp, the place looks CLEAN.
2. Next to the nail polish, there is what looks like a bottle of CLEANING fluid.
3. IIrc Jayme said JP struck her with a long-handled item he normally used to CLEAN THE BLINDS.

Just seems unusual to me that a young man would be that into cleaning. FWIW.

I wondered that, too. But there was something in the wording of her statement that seemed to indicate it was him cleaning the blinds.

The preceding posts except Julia's, whose post I am replying to are where part of the idea that he cleaned blinds came from... There have been other posts on other threads in the past about him cleaning obsessively and there is a wand similar to what my housekeeper uses to clean the blinds. Jayme said he hit her on the back with it once, which is awful for that little girl to endure.
We don't know IF he did or didn't do any actual blind cleaning. I doubt it, but I think it's possible that he did let her out from under the bed, and at those times of the days or nights, he'd compulsively look out the front- facing windows in particular for any approaching vehicles or LE presence, especially if he knew the country was looking for her.

Minor thing in the scheme of things either way when one considers his retinue of strange and cruel torturous actions such as him hitting her with what looks like the end of a long Swiffer wand such as my housekeeper uses. I don't know the name for the tool, actually, as I've never bought or used this type of thing.

IDK, but I do know that I didn't mean for this to turn into one of those "issues." Not sure why it did after my post and not when someone else mentioned him cleaning blinds ( there's another post too but I didn't include it). I'm really sorry for any misunderstanding, and think it likely is productive to move on to other aspects of the case, as this is something we don't know one way or the other except that he hit Jayme, a very small girl with a rod. That breaks my heart for her.:(

Hugs, and thanks for stating your opinion so clearly, Julia. I'm sorry that I misquoted you. I hope I have now corrected the error to the best of my ability.
IMO, respectfully. :cool:

Will DA add charges in Jayme Closs case?
The question of whether additional charges will be filed in Douglas County, where Closs was believed to have been held captive for 88 days, remains open. District Attorney Mark Fruehauf this week said the case is still under review and declined to give any specifics about the investigation.

So, what considerations might factor into Fruehauf's decision?

Cecelia Klingele, assistant professor of law at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, said that a prosecutor's chief concern is making sure a defendant is held responsible for his or her actions.

Klingele said it's not uncommon for a defendant to be charged in multiple jurisdictions when crimes have occurred in more than one location. Sometimes that comes from a worry that charges in one jurisdiction won't be enough to punish a defendant adequately.

The charges filed in Barron County this month are enough to put Patterson in prison for the rest of his life.

"These are very, very serious charges," Klingele said. "The evidence in this case appears to be strong, and when you have a strong case for serious crimes, particularly crimes where there's a mandatory life sentence on the line, typically (these) charges are going to be enough to hold a defendant accountable."

Jayme Closs kidnapping ‘a shock’ to the community, but so...
“We just don’t see stranger abductions happen, particularly with no prior knowledge of the child or family or location — almost ever,” she said. “Everything about this case was highly, highly anomalous.”

Though fears are stoked and emotions are running high, Klingele said it’s important to keep some perspective.

“Obviously, it’s everyone’s great fear, something like this,” she said. “And it’s a terrible tragedy. But it’s also just an extraordinarily rare event.”

That’s a reminder for media outlets, too.

“It’s really important to the degree possible for the media to help send the message that parents don’t need to be terrified to send their children on school buses each morning,” Klingele said. “This is such atypical behavior that (professionals) will see it once in their career, if that often.

“Your kid is much more likely to get hit by lightning.”

<modsnipped quoted post>

Hold on and rethink it for a minute.

I think Jayme was definitely targeted, and there is no doubt who killed her parents and abducted her.

<modsnipped response to removed post>

I think it is more likely there is a psychological explanation for JP’s behavior that transcends that... like looking around, planning and conducting a crime, based on wanting to in real life to conduct a particular image and scenario.

He may have magical thinking (I think there is a diagnosis for that, but will stand off of that for now, since I mostly feel sociopath fits him well as I am typing). Would really like to hear what the experts have to say, but I imagine that will await until his trial.

<modsnipped quoted post>

Hold on and rethink it for a minute.

I think Jayme was definitely targeted, and there is no doubt who killed her parents and abducted her.

<modsnipped response to removed post>

I think it is more likely there is a psychological explanation for JP’s behavior that transcends that... like looking around, planning and conducting a crime, based on wanting to in real life to conduct a particular image and scenario.

He may have magical thinking (I think there is a diagnosis for that, but will stand off of that for now, since I mostly feel sociopath fits him well as I am typing). Would really like to hear what the experts have to say, but I imagine that will await until his trial.

eta: this kid was find alive: Casey Lynn Hathaway: Missing 3-year-old boy found alive - CNN

So we celebrate, right? Thanks to so many who hang in here. It’s important. Ending on a good night.

They mostly do look taken through windows, yet I still wonder if LE or someone was not present, just because of the fact that his room is not shown.

I had 2 theories on that. Either
LE had to approve the photos, and they wouldn't allow ones of his room to be published,​
OR,
his room may be on the 2nd floor and not off the deck, which would mean they couldn't get to a window where they could view it.​

Funny enough, one of the news stories called it filthy, and I thought it looked pretty clean too. Extremely cluttered and messy, but messy is not the same as dirty.

If we're just talking about the state of the house, I've seen far worse. And you're right, it does look messy but that's much different from dirty. One article referred to it as "squalor." Their definition must be much different from mine. I've seen houses where animals are allowed to wander through and defecate wherever they want, carpet drenched in urine and food, walls with excrement, black mold growing everywhere...My problem with referring to the house like that is that the situation is already horrible enough. They don't need to dramatize to make it sound worse-it's already bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member