AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems to be the kind of crime that regardless of any weapons that may have been in the Closs home, they wouldn’t have helped...

Yup. I carry everyday, and train for self defense regularly; but I'm under no false delusion that I, or any (average unsuspecting) person could survive that attack. Few people are prepared mentally for an unexpected gun fight at their front door.

A “19 year old boyfriend” has been brought up many times in discussions elsewhere. The age is always stated as 19 which seems specific. I recall somebody early on claiming he had been cleared, even. Now, the sheriff isn’t denying his existance which pretty much confirms he’s real.

I know from my daughter, 13 year olds have “boyfriends” they really have very little to do with. They may chat online but never actually date at all. All of my daughter’s friends seemed to have such supposed-boyfriends. It seems to be a social requirement but doesn’t necessarily mean much. Now, in other cases classmates were heavily involved and having sex so it’s hard to tell just how serious Jayme’s possible relationship could have been.

It does lead me to believe she likely was talking to guys online and we all know that such people may not always be what they claim.

If Jayme was chatting on line, LE would now have these details.
If this involves an on line creep, he will soon be found, I would think.
MOO.

Parents work at Jenie-o Turkey , and the dog only eats chicken. That's a bit odd. Imo. I wonder why that is.

Maybe the dog is sick of turkey?

Seriously,though, dogs are like people in that they have their own favorite types of foods. My dog only wants beef and won't touch turkey or chicken. I don't think there's a greater meaning there.

This is really out there but maybe they think the perp has a soft spot for dogs and the comment about chicken was an appeal to them?

This is really out there but maybe they think the perp has a soft spot for dogs and the comment about chicken was an appeal to them?
Doubtful. There’s really no way they could possibly know that.

Their goal would be to humanize Jayme in his eyes, not appeal to his love of dogs.

IMO, 2 bodies rather than 3 being found in the home points toward this being a targeted vs. random crime.

Question: has it been reported whether either James and/or Denise owned any type of firearms?

It has not been reported. A lot of speculation, James said to have enjoyed spending time at hunting cabin/camp. If he had hunting rifles, I would suspect they'd be lock in a gun safe. MOO

If Jayme was chatting on line, LE would now have these details.
If this involves an on line creep, he will soon be found, I would think.
MOO.

It depends from which device, and then what sort of app, of course. If she used a device not her own, they might never know. Or an app that does not save conversations. Also if they do not find her phone, they might be unable to see any deleted apps, etc...there are a lot of complications, imo.

It has not been reported. A lot of speculation, James said to have enjoyed spending time at hunting cabin/camp. If he had hunting rifles, I would suspect they'd be lock in a gun safe. MOO

CM, thank you! Now, that possibility is grist for the mill, don't you think? Especially given the fact that LE has said that this case is particularly interesting as there were no weapons found on scene.

DrydenWire

Takeaways from Sheriff F.'s lengthy interview linked above:
  • LE is leaning toward it being targeted, but they can't rule out that it was random.
  • Sheriff F. stated he "doesn't think" it's r/t drugs. (He's not sure, though).
  • Sheriff F. said he believes the public is safe. (He's not sure, though).
  • LE doesn't know if it was one bad guy or more than one bad guy. (He's not sure).
  • Quote from Sheriff F.: "Right now, we're scratching our heads a little bit."
  • LE still doesn't have a working theory of the crime.
Or that is exactly what he want perp(s) to think.

I don’t think we can be “sure” of anything here, but if there were only shotgun shells I would expect terminology other than “bullet casings”.

ETA: “spent shells” would only refer to a shotgun.
I googled "define spent shells" .....
(A shell casing is a piece of ammunition that is made of metal. ... Shell casings can be made from any kind of ammunition that is fired from a pistol, rifle or shotgun. It is not a bullet, but it is a piece of the larger ammunition mechanism that is loaded into the chamber to be shot.)

People have commented on similar crimes such as the Groene.

Is there a list of some similar to see if we can identify a type of person who may do this?

Any similar charactistics?

I don't know of any lists.
I know the day of the week is the same. Time of day similar.
But Duncan used firearm to gain compliance, but they died of blunt force trauma according to the autopsy,and were bound/tied up.

Edit for spelling.

Last edited:
Yup. I carry everyday, and train for self defense regularly; but I'm under no false delusion that I, or any (average unsuspecting) person could survive that attack. Few people are prepared mentally for an unexpected gun fight at their front door.
Boy you said a mouthful. Eating dinner, showering, sleeping. Just living your life who in the world expects their front door to be crashed in and you and your wife murdered and your young daughter kidnapped.
Who does that?

I googled "define spent shells" .....
(A shell casing is a piece of ammunition that is made of metal. ... Shell casings can be made from any kind of ammunition that is fired from a pistol, rifle or shotgun. It is not a bullet, but it is a piece of the larger ammunition mechanism that is loaded into the chamber to be shot.)

I concur.
Someone may call a shot shell or a brass casing a "round".
Someone may call a shot shell or a brass casing a "shell".
But it would be unusual/unexpected for someone well-versed in firearms to call a shot "shell" a "casing".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod