GUILTY WI - LAKE GENEVA SUITCASE MURDERS, Laura Simonson & Jenny Gamez - #2

Hello all - I don't know the answer to your question OTV. Prayers to the families and I hope these two angels in heaven are watching. I remember the audio of his questioning...still makes my skin crawl.

he has another trial pending. how do sentences coincide when there are two crimes / jurisdictions? Are the sentences concurrent?

for ex. if he's sentenced to 40 years in WI and 60 in MN (without parole), do the first 40 years of his imprisonment count for both jurisdictions? Or would he be sentenced to a total of 100 years?

The best answer to you question is that it depends. State sentencing guidelines differ widely, but I think it would be fair to say that concurrent vs. consecutive sentences is most often a matter of judicial discretion.

I took a look at the Minnesota guidelines since that sentence should be imposed last. My first impression is that Minnesota's guidelines on concurrent/consecutive sentences is far more complex than our analogous provisions in Pennsylvania, so if there's anyone who practices in Minnesota, please correct or add to this! But my best guess, assuming a homicide conviction in Minnesota, is that the sentencing judge would have discretion on whether to impose a sentence concurrent or consecutive to that imposed in Wisconsin.

The sentencing guidelines can be found here, with consecutive sentencing addressed in section 2(F):
http://mn.gov/sentencing-guidelines...ing Guidelines and Commentary_tcm30-46700.pdf

The best answer to you question is that it depends. State sentencing guidelines differ widely, but I think it would be fair to say that concurrent vs. consecutive sentences is most often a matter of judicial discretion.

I took a look at the Minnesota guidelines since that sentence should be imposed last. My first impression is that Minnesota's guidelines on concurrent/consecutive sentences is far more complex than our analogous provisions in Pennsylvania, so if there's anyone who practices in Minnesota, please correct or add to this! But my best guess, assuming a homicide conviction in Minnesota, is that the sentencing judge would have discretion on whether to impose a sentence concurrent or consecutive to that imposed in Wisconsin.

The sentencing guidelines can be found here, with consecutive sentencing addressed in section 2(F):
http://mn.gov/sentencing-guidelines...ing Guidelines and Commentary_tcm30-46700.pdf

Thank you

01-25-2016
Plea hearing
Schroeder, Bruce E.
Howell, Karen

Additional Text:

Minutes: Clerk/T. Lehman. DDA Graveley & ADA Burgoyne appeared for the State. Deft appeared in custody w/Atty J. Smith & Atty S. Krohn. Case is resolved. Second amended information filed. Deft pleads guilty to both counts; found guilty by the Court. PSI ordered. Sentencing set for 3/30/16 @
1:30pm.

State of Wisconsin vs. Steven M. Zelich

Kenosha County Case Number 2014CF000898

08-05-2014
Criminal
Open
Defendant Date of Birth
Address
10-29-1961
8011 W. Lincoln Avenue, #3, West Allis, WI 53219
Branch Id
DA Case Number

940.02(1)
1st-Degree Reckless Homicide
Felony B
940.11(2)
Hiding a Corpse

http://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news...elich-sentenced-to-38-years-for-killing-woman

Former West Allis police officer Steven Zelich sentenced to 35 years for killing woman

"A former West Allis police officer who pleaded guilty to killing a woman was sentenced to to 35 years in prison plus 10 years of extended supervision Wednesday.

Steven Zelich, 54, accused of killing 19-year old Jenny Gamez and dumping her body along a highway in Walworth County......."

So how many years will he have to serve--after time off for good behavior, etc.?

The mind of a serial killer. "He continues to not take responsibility for the predator he is." (something like that). In his mind it was a simple accident. He may not be sharing this but there is a good chance he also viewed their deaths as their fault - something they did or didn't do. Of course he said he was sorry for the death. Could he have said anything else? Wonder what his take was on hiding them and dumping them on the roadside? Sick, sick mind.

Bless these two women and their families. Thank God he cannot kill another.

Judy

http://www.kaaltv.com/investigative...unty-court-steven-zelich-jenny-gamez/4351180/

Not a day goes by that Niki Carlson doesn't think about her younger sister Laura -- sifting through old photos of Laura smiling with her seven children as they celebrate life's simple moments...

Tears of joy quickly fading into tears of pain. "That's the one thing that I regret the most, is not being able to say I'm sorry," said Carlson.

Remembering the weeks, even months leading up to Simonson's death the two weren't talking. Carlson shared how Simonson became different after the death of her daughter just six months before her own.

"It broke her heart," said Carlson. "She got to be a little distant, she wasn't quite the same person anymore, you know she was hurting, but she wouldn't let you in."

http://kstp.com/news/former-police-...th-minnesota-woman-found-in-suitcase/4390329/

Former Officer Sentenced to 25 Years in Death of Minnesota Woman Found in Suitcase

"Steven Zelich was sentenced to 25 years in the murder of Laura Simonsen on Friday.
Hubbard Broadcasting-owned KAAL reports the former police officer changed his plea to guilty of second-degree murder with intent, not premeditated......
KAAL reports several of Simonsen's family members gave impact statements after he entered his plea.
Court documents state Zelich will serve his sentences consecutively. He will serve his first sentence in Wisconsin, then serve his second sentence in Minnesota....."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon
Back