WI WI - Ricky Jean Bryant, 4, Mauston, 19 Dec 1949

I still say this case is eerily similar to the Sodder case that is also up here on websleuths. It just seems like that same eerie feeling as with the other case.

Laura Bean, I was going to say the same thing. I don't think that more than one or two children could be taken by a baby broker, like how there are so many Sodder children missing, but this could be a case of fire used to steal the child. Or, the fire created an opportunity. Whatever the case may be, it's very sad.

Some possible bone fragments were sent to a state laboratory for analysis, but they were not identified as hers.
So did they get a dna sample from the fragments and determined the DNA wasnt hers, or were they unable to get a sample at all?

So did they get a dna sample from the fragments and determined the DNA wasnt hers, or were they unable to get a sample at all?
That was in 1949. The state crime lab at the time didn't feel they were even human bone fragments it seems. Since that was the official determination at the time, I'm sure they weren't saved, whatever the fragments were. Today, it would be possible to look at these fragments better and maybe get DNA if they were even bone fragments(if there was a bigger piece or something), but I'm sure whatever they were, they are long gone.

If she did survive, and had descendants, then hopefully they (or her, if still living and encouraged by family) test with some of the genetic genealogy databases. Descendants of Ricky's siblings could use any database to try to find her, although LE is limited in what databases they can use. If she really did survive, that is very likely the best chance at finding her. If she was their half sibling with an unknown father (it's possible her mother thought so, but was mistaken) the relationship wouldn't be as close, but she could still be found.

It's never mentioned if the family had any pets, but the bone fragments could have been from a pet? or even from meat the family was going to eat? I should try to find some of the original articles concerning the alleged bone fragments.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back