NOTGUILTY WI - Selah Kaden, 13, Suspicious Death, Mineral Point, 31 May 2018 *arrests*

In order for true justice to happen for Selah, her sibling and others impacted by these horrible monsters are going to have to come forward. If her parents are not speaking out and demanding an accounting, then those who loved Selah and strangers will have to become the watch dogs to ensure she gets justice. I hope Selah's sister gives more interviews and speaks out in court since she had been abused by these people (by her own account).

It is very possible all that could happen in the formal trial. We'll have to wait and see. The detective did go to NC to interview the family of Selah, and it's possible the DA could require testimony from members of that family in the trial.
They are not going to reveal their strategy, merely the witness list and discovery info they are required to provide to the defense.

Mineral Point Miller Road Case goes to trial - The Dodgeville Chronicle

Don't think this article has been posted, but it had a few new details for me. This case is tragic and it makes me upset that this girl had no one to turn to for help.
I agree that Selah had no one and no place to turn to. FFS, if she had an attachment disorder why wasn't she being treated by a professional? And how would "explaining the consequences of hurting herself" do any good?

These women are horrible IMO. From the article:
Selah and Alexis were in the kitchen when Selah indicated she needed to go to the bathroom and was told to wait as Alexis was tending to something cooking on the stove. Laurie then came into the kitchen and Selah said she was going to urinate all over the living room as she needed to go to the bathroom. Sometime later Selah fell and struck her head very hard. She then fell a second time, this time letting herself down easily.
Say what? And all the blame the Barrys laid on Selah - lying, stealing, hurting herself, and so on - says to me they were doing a piss poor job of caring for her. It also implies the Barrys were doing a lot of CYA by attacking Selah's behavior as if that would explain the bruises. And later when Selah's color changed after <cough> "hitting her head" instead of calling 911 they called her parents? And the parents said there was no need to take Selah to the ER.

Yeah, donkeys caused all of Selah's bruises. SMDH. More at the link.

This is a case that had been so quiet with little information out there. It is heartening to see how LEO was working behind the scenes. But, I do worry that there still is so much silence and little outcry for this girl. I have asked again and again, where are her parents? It appears that they are silent also. I hope her siblings and anyone else in contact with this abusive family comes forward.

Regarding her parents - maybe they are keeping quiet as they "might" be charged with something.... JMO

More like they were told to keep quiet by the AG and law enforcement and give no interviews which could screw up the case against the Barrys. I believe they were lied to about the severity of the injuries. Heck, the Barrys were talking to the parents when the kid had been dead for hours, and telling them they "thought" there might be a problem as Jessie Barry was calling 911. Before that, they relayed false information such that the father of the girl agreed that no medical attention was needed, but bear in mind he only could go on what he was told. And it's obvious to all of us the Barrys are lying about this whole incident trying to cover their behinds, and not doing a very good job of it.

More like they were told to keep quiet by the AG and law enforcement and give no interviews which could screw up the case against the Barrys. I believe they were lied to about the severity of the injuries. Heck, the Barrys were talking to the parents when the kid had been dead for hours, and telling them they "thought" there might be a problem as Jessie Barry was calling 911. Before that, they relayed false information such that the father of the girl agreed that no medical attention was needed, but bear in mind he only could go on what he was told. And it's obvious to all of us the Barrys are lying about this whole incident trying to cover their behinds, and not doing a very good job of it.
I agree with all you have written about the Barrys and their actions. That said, I am not looking for an interview or anything major. I would hope they would make a statement, a written statement even, that speaks to the fact that they loved their daughter and want the truth to come out. I am just dumbfounded that there is nothing-- no words of love, no words of caring. They may be under scrutiny. They may be thinking that they will be charged. But, to say you loved and cared about your daughter is not something that any lawyer would discourage as a statement. I know they have a right to privacy and not saying a word. However, it is disappointing that the picture that has emerged of this child does not represent her: adopted from China, behavioral issues, and difficult to control. (I realize that her further description is that of a murder victim at the hands of monsters.) If I were her parent, I would want people to see her as more than just these three descriptors.

I agree with all you have written about the Barrys and their actions. That said, I am not looking for an interview or anything major. I would hope they would make a statement, a written statement even, that speaks to the fact that they loved their daughter and want the truth to come out. I am just dumbfounded that there is nothing-- no words of love, no words of caring. They may be under scrutiny. They may be thinking that they will be charged. But, to say you loved and cared about your daughter is not something that any lawyer would discourage as a statement. I know they have a right to privacy and not saying a word. However, it is disappointing that the picture that has emerged of this child does not represent her: adopted from China, behavioral issues, and difficult to control. (I realize that her further description is that of a murder victim at the hands of monsters.) If I were her parent, I would want people to see her as more than just these three descriptors.

Yes, I understand what you are saying. But when your lawyer tells you to say nothing, he means nothing. At all. Your lawyer speaks for you. It would be the lawyer's place to put that statement from the NC family out there. Perhaps they don't have a lawyer and are relying on the county AG and officers to run the show for them, and most certainly they will be called to testify. Now, it may be they are pulling "a Barry" and just keeping their head down in fear of being also charged. But I don't believe that as yet. Mainly because we DO have nothing from them, nor anything talked about by the detectives with them. So I reserve judgement.

Yes, I understand what you are saying. But when your lawyer tells you to say nothing, he means nothing. At all. Your lawyer speaks for you. It would be the lawyer's place to put that statement from the NC family out there. Perhaps they don't have a lawyer and are relying on the county AG and officers to run the show for them, and most certainly they will be called to testify. Now, it may be they are pulling "a Barry" and just keeping their head down in fear of being also charged. But I don't believe that as yet. Mainly because we DO have nothing from them, nor anything talked about by the detectives with them. So I reserve judgement.

Since we don't know if they have counsel or if anyone has asked them to be silent, we are all conjecturing so in that sense I agree. I have spoken with a lawyer friend of mine who has said that they would counsel a brief statement that came from them to combat the optics, for whatever that is worth.

It is neither here nor there, since we have heard nothing from this family and can presume we won't. I just hate it when it seems that a child has died without an advocate seeking justice. I don't recall an obituary either. She was nameless and faceless to the public for a year or more.

Since we don't know if they have counsel or if anyone has asked them to be silent, we are all conjecturing so in that sense I agree. I have spoken with a lawyer friend of mine who has said that they would counsel a brief statement that came from them to combat the optics, for whatever that is worth.

It is neither here nor there, since we have heard nothing from this family and can presume we won't. I just hate it when it seems that a child has died without an advocate seeking justice. I don't recall an obituary either. She was nameless and faceless to the public for a year or more.

I guess I see things differently. The Barrys have been charged and arrested and are set for trial. The child had advocates in the EMT folks, the detectives, the AG, and the Judge. All worked to get justice for Kayla and not let her slip through the crack. The detective even flew to NC to interview the parents, so she could read them in person rather than take the easy way out of a telephone interview or deposition. This case was made much harder due to the only witnesses, the Barry family, forming a solid united front and sticking to their obvious lies and story despite the evidence against them. Apparently nobody in that family has any remorse or honor in them.

Has ANYBODY heard about an actual trial date being set? Suddenly it's like the news just dropped reporting anything. There was supposed to be an arraignment and trial date set, and nothing is out there on that.
Both Alexis and Laurie Barry have motion hearings on 2/21/2020
More info at the link.
Wisconsin Circuit Court Access

Msm has been quiet - again. Where are all the investigative reporters?

Both Alexis and Laurie Barry have motion hearings on 2/21/2020
More info at the link.
Wisconsin Circuit Court Access

Msm has been quiet - again. Where are all the investigative reporters?

For crying out loud. ANOTHER motion hearing? By the time they get done stringing this along it will have been two years since the kid was killed. I take that as further proof of their guilt. They know once a trial is actually held, they will be found guilty. If they were innocent, they'd want a speedy trial to prove their guilt and get out from under all this. Instead they seem perfectly happy to keep dragging justice and judgement out as long as they can. At this point I hope they get a healthy long sentence and God forbid not a slap on the wrist. Their lawyer has got to know they are toast once the evidence is put in front of a jury. Else why keep trying to drag it out?

Friday, February 21st:
*Status Conference Hearing for both (@ 1pm CT) – WI – Selah F. Q. Kaden (13) (May 31, 2018, Mineral Point/DOB 10/23/04) - *Laurie D. Barry (50/now 51) & Alexis E. Barry (27/now 28) charged (6/24/19) & arraigned (10/16/19) with 1st degree reckless homicide (as a party to crime-Felony B). Both plead not guilty. $250K Signature bond.
Death was due to homicidal smothering/suffocation & blunt force patterned beating. The nature & pattern of injuries described on her body further demonstrated an utter disregard for human life. The charge is a Class B Felony & carries a penalty of up to 60 years in prison.
The victim was a child adopted (5/17/06) from China by a North Carolina couple David & Lisa Kaden. She was staying with the Barry family in Mineral Point (starting 4/24/18) because of a medical problem involving one of the family's other children. The arrangement wasn't approved by social workers or any government entity.

6/24/19: Have NOT been arrested, just charged. Initial appearance scheduled for both on 7/9.
7/9/19 Update: $250K signature bond - no possession of any dangerous weapons; no contact with D.K., L.K., or any other immediate member of the K family or their residence; booking at the ICSO by July 12, 2019 @ 4 pm. Motions anticipated prior to preliminary hearing. Defense requests time to submit those motions. Atty Brophy to file motions by 7/26. State response(s) due by 8/16. Next motions hearing on 9/12 & preliminary hearing on 10/8 for both.
10/8/19 Update: Probable cause found to bind over for trial. Next arraignment hearing for both on 10/16.
10/16/19 Update: Alexis: Not guilty plea entered. State will file a motion to join with 19CF99. Motion & brief to be filed by 11/1/19. Response brief to be filed by 1/17/20. Motion hearing set for 2/21/20 at 1:00 pm. Laurie: Not guilty plea entered. State will file a motion to join with 19CF100. Motion & brief to be filed by 11/1/19. Response brief to be filed by 1/17/20 was granted on 1/16/20. Motion hearing set for 2/21/20 at 1:00 pm is changed to Status Conference hearing.

Friday, February 21st:
*Status Conference Hearing for both (@ 1pm CT) – WI – Selah F. Q. Kaden (13) (May 31, 2018, Mineral Point/DOB 10/23/04) - *Laurie D. Barry (50/now 51) & Alexis E. Barry (27/now 28) charged (6/24/19) & arraigned (10/16/19) with 1st degree reckless homicide (as a party to crime-Felony B). Both plead not guilty. $250K Signature bond.
Death was due to homicidal smothering/suffocation & blunt force patterned beating. The nature & pattern of injuries described on her body further demonstrated an utter disregard for human life. The charge is a Class B Felony & carries a penalty of up to 60 years in prison.
The victim was a child adopted (5/17/06) from China by a North Carolina couple David & Lisa Kaden. She was staying with the Barry family in Mineral Point (starting 4/24/18) because of a medical problem involving one of the family's other children. The arrangement wasn't approved by social workers or any government entity.

6/24/19: Have NOT been arrested, just charged. Initial appearance scheduled for both on 7/9.
7/9/19 Update: $250K signature bond - no possession of any dangerous weapons; no contact with D.K., L.K., or any other immediate member of the K family or their residence; booking at the ICSO by July 12, 2019 @ 4 pm. Motions anticipated prior to preliminary hearing. Defense requests time to submit those motions. Atty Brophy to file motions by 7/26. State response(s) due by 8/16. Next motions hearing on 9/12 & preliminary hearing on 10/8 for both.
10/8/19 Update: Probable cause found to bind over for trial. Next arraignment hearing for both on 10/16.
10/16/19 Update: Alexis: Not guilty plea entered. State will file a motion to join with 19CF99. Motion & brief to be filed by 11/1/19. Response brief to be filed by 1/17/20. Motion hearing set for 2/21/20 at 1:00 pm. Laurie: Not guilty plea entered. State will file a motion to join with 19CF100. Motion & brief to be filed by 11/1/19. Response brief to be filed by 1/17/20 was granted on 1/16/20. Motion hearing set for 2/21/20 at 1:00 pm is changed to Status Conference hearing.
Status Conference Hearing? Poor Selah didn't get a lawyer,Status Conference Hearing. Ughhhhhh.

for both:

Docket:
Date Event Court official Court reporter Amount
02-21-2020 Transcript
Additional text:
Status Conference 02/21/2020

02-21-2020 Notice of hearing
Additional text:
Telephone scheduling conference on March 13, 2020 at 02:45 pm.

02-21-2020 Status conference Koehler, Margaret M. Anderson, Stephanie
Additional text:
12:58 PM Defendant Laurie D. Barry in court with attorney George Brian Brophy. Matthew C. Allen appeared for the State of Wisconsin. Atty Brophy advises Court of current case/discovery status. Atty Allen replies and requests further hearing in approximately 10 days. Telephone scheduling conference scheduled for March 13, 2020 at 02:45 pm.

Additional text:
01:04 PM Defendant Alexis E. Barry in court with attorney George Brian Brophy. Matthew C. Allen appeared for the State of Wisconsin. Atty Brophy advises Court of current case/discovery status. Atty Allen replies and requests further hearing in approximately 10 days. Telephone scheduling conference scheduled for March 13, 2020 at 02:45 pm.

Court activities
Date Time Location Description Type Court official
03-13-2020 02:45 pm Iowa County Courthouse Telephone scheduling conference Court Koehler, Margaret M.

link: Wisconsin Circuit Court Access

for both:

Docket:
Date Event Court official Court reporter Amount
02-21-2020 Transcript
Additional text:
Status Conference 02/21/2020

02-21-2020 Notice of hearing
Additional text:
Telephone scheduling conference on March 13, 2020 at 02:45 pm.

Additional text:
12:58 PM Defendant Laurie D. Barry in court with attorney George Brian Brophy. Matthew C. Allen appeared for the State of Wisconsin. Atty Brophy advises Court of current case/discovery status. Atty Allen replies and requests further hearing in approximately 10 days. Telephone scheduling conference scheduled for March 13, 2020 at 02:45 pm.

Additional text:
01:04 PM Defendant Alexis E. Barry in court with attorney George Brian Brophy. Matthew C. Allen appeared for the State of Wisconsin. Atty Brophy advises Court of current case/discovery status. Atty Allen replies and requests further hearing in approximately 10 days. Telephone scheduling conference scheduled for March 13, 2020 at 02:45 pm.

Court activities
Date Time Location Description Type Court official
03-13-2020 02:45 pm Iowa County Courthouse Telephone scheduling conference Court Koehler, Margaret M.

link: Wisconsin Circuit Court Access

So what the hell does that mean???? Dragging it out LONGER?

Friday, March 13th:
*Telephone Scheduling Conference Hearing for both (@ 2:45pm CT) – WI – Selah F. Q. Kaden (13) (May 31, 2018, Mineral Point/DOB 10/23/04) - *Laurie D. Barry (50/now 51) & Alexis E. Barry (27/now 28) charged (6/24/19) & arraigned (10/16/19) with 1st degree reckless homicide (as a party to crime-Felony B). Both plead not guilty. $250K Signature bond.

Court info from 6/24/19 thru 10/16/19 reference post #195 here:
WI - Selah Kaden, 13, Suspicious Death, Mineral Point, 31 May 2018

2/21/20 Update: Defendants Laurie D. Barry & Alexis Barry in court with attorney George Brian Brophy. Matthew C. Allen appeared for the State of Wisconsin. Attorney Brophy advises Court of current case/discovery status. Attorney Allen replies & requests further hearing in approximately 10 days. Telephone scheduling conference scheduled for March 13, 2020 at 2:45 pm.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BabyGhoul
Back