WI - Sylville Smith, 23, fatally shot by Milwaukee PD officer, 13 Aug 2016 *Arrest*

Bathroom breaks...

The camera should stay on. If that bothers the officer, then he/she should leave the body cam in his/her car, at that time, or just cover it up. Body cams will accomplish little as long as the cops can decide when they want to turn them on or off. If they are allowed to do that, then it just becomes a tool for their protection, not the protection of the public.

The camera should stay on. If that bothers the officer, then he/she should leave the body cam in his/her car, at that time, or just cover it up. Body cams will accomplish little as long as the cops can decide when they want to turn them on or off. If they are allowed to do that, then it just becomes a tool for their protection, not the protection of the public.

I sure don't want a camera on while I'm ********.

I guess at lot of it depends on the situation. If the camera is in the car, people might well claim that was intentional to avoid filming a questionable incident.

I love the idea of body cams, but they definitely need some tweeking, IMHO.

The lawsuit mentioned earlier in the thread is happening because the cameras were recording all the time, without the officers knowing.

MOO

ETA: To me the cams are for the protection of everyone (LE and citizens).

Load those buses back up and head to LA they really need the help!

I sure don't want a camera on while I'm ********.

I guess at lot of it depends on the situation. If the camera is in the car, people might well claim that was intentional to avoid filming a questionable incident.

I love the idea of body cams, but they definitely need some tweeking, IMHO.

The lawsuit mentioned earlier in the thread is happening because the cameras were recording all the time, without the officers knowing.

MOO

If the cops are on any personal break, then they should be allowed to leave their body cam in their car during that time. As long as they put them back on before they go back in service. Otherwise the cam should be recording them all the time. But the cams should never be turned off. LEO are public servants. Tax payers are paying them, and should be able to know what they are doing at all times while they are on the clock. Law enforcement is probably the single biggest liability, that tax payers face. Wrong doing by LEOs costs tax payers billions of dollars a year. Taxpayer’s have a right to have their finances protected, and as citizens have a right to have their constitutional rights protected. I believe those concerns override any and all privacy rights that LEOs might have.

No, where I volunteer, a large percent, probably the majority, of kids think Slyville Smith types are cool, and that the type of life he was living is the thing to do. Which is why there are more and more kids falling into the street life trap. The problem isn't oppression. The problem is a lack of expectations placed on these kids. What I want to know is when that type of life became a thing to be idolized? Is it because of music that glamorizes it? Why would anyone, Sylville Smith included, want to embrace a life of crime?? In my opinion, getting up and working a crappy job is still easier than looking over your shoulder and worrying about jail time.

Because we live in a world of instant gratification. I want it and i want it NOW. So why work 5 days at 10 bucks and hour to buy that game you want. Go steal it from someone, or rob someone of their money, or sell drugs and make hundreds or thousands. They don't care about their lives or about family or future. Its NOW NOW NOW. Not a race thing at all. Only becoming a race thing when it benefits someones agenda. These type of people have NO RESPECT for anyone. And their parents are majorly to blame.

If the cops are on any personal break, then they should be allowed to leave their body cam in their car during that time. As long as they put them back on before they go back in service. Otherwise the cam should be recording them all the time. But the cams should never be turned off. LEO are public servants. Tax payers are paying them, and should be able to know what they are doing at all times while they are on the clock. Law enforcement is probably the single biggest liability, that tax payers face. Wrong doing by LEOs costs tax payers billions of dollars a year. Taxpayer’s have a right to have their finances protected, and as citizens have a right to have their constitutional rights protected. I believe those concerns override any and all privacy rights that LEOs might have.

And then next we'll have lawsuits from the people video'd on the body cams because it will show them at their worst, and they were 'illegally filmed' and it ruined their reputation etc. This a a NO WIN situation. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

And then next we'll have lawsuits from the people video'd on the body cams because it will show them at their worst, and they were 'illegally filmed' and it ruined their reputation etc. This a a NO WIN situation. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

That should be a non issue. The video should be released only when relevant parties request it. I don’t believe there is anyone being filmed illegally. If you are in public, then you have no legal expectation of privacy. If the police are called to your private space, then I don’t believe you have an expectation of privacy. Your privacy is already violated, just by the cops being there. The video changes nothing.

So when a cop arrives on the scene of a suspected rape, and has to interview the victim, does she need to speak on camera? When a cop is trying to get a neighbor to 'snitch' on someone to try and catch a suspect, is that witness going to speak on camera?

That should be a non issue. The video should be released only when relevant parties request it. I don’t believe there is anyone being filmed illegally. If you are in public, then you have no legal expectation of privacy. If the police are called to your private space, then I don’t believe you have an expectation of privacy. Your privacy is already violated, just by the cops being there. The video changes nothing.

Here is good article that discusses the pros and cons:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-body-cameras-20140927-story.html

Growing use of police body cameras raises privacy concerns

But equipping police with such devices also raises new and unsettled issues over privacy at a time when many Americans have been critical of the kind of powerful government surveillance measures that technology has made possible.

For many departments, questions remain about when officers should be allowed to turn off such cameras — especially in cases involving domestic violence or rape victims — and the extent to which video could be made public.

While figures remain preliminary, body cameras for 1,200 Milwaukee street officers, including storage of video information, would cost $880,000 in 2016 and about $1 million a year beginning in 2017, according to Barrett's preliminary budget.

Another snip: Although criminal justice and civil liberties experts acknowledge the benefits of body cameras, they also warn of practical considerations: how the technology would be implemented; what policies would govern it; and how it could unintentionally widen the divide between officers and the communities they serve.

http://archive.jsonline.com/news/wi...all-beat-cops-with-body-camer--323341071.html

So when a cop arrives on the scene of a suspected rape, and has to interview the victim, does she need to speak on camera? When a cop is trying to get a neighbor to 'snitch' on someone to try and catch a suspect, is that witness going to speak on camera?

Yes, for the victim’s protection.

While figures remain preliminary, body cameras for 1,200 Milwaukee street officers, including storage of video information, would cost $880,000 in 2016 and about $1 million a year beginning in 2017, according to Barrett's preliminary budget.

Another snip: Although criminal justice and civil liberties experts acknowledge the benefits of body cameras, they also warn of practical considerations: how the technology would be implemented; what policies would govern it; and how it could unintentionally widen the divide between officers and the communities they serve.

http://archive.jsonline.com/news/wi...all-beat-cops-with-body-camer--323341071.html

http://www.wolfcomusa.com/

What worries me is how long are videos going to be stored for? How secure will it be? What happens when(I don't use if because I think it's very likely to happen) hackers release thousands of hours of footage which may include under aged children, abuse victims and people who are actually innocent?

ETA:Also, I would rather have cctv in public areas than body cams on cops for the exact reasons above!

PARENTS NEED TO PARENT!! They need to set expectations for their children. They need to set the right kind of examples for their children. The " village" can help but it can't do it all alone! They need to STOP playing the " we are oppressed" " we are poor" , excuse after excuse after excuse. It costs NOTHING to make sure your child goes to school, does homework, is inside at a reasonable time, generally behaves. Yes, sometimes no matter how hard a parent tries it goes sideways anyhow but FGS give your children a chance to succeed!!
As for unemployment for able bodied folks...... I know folks can't make the bills and rent with only low income jobs. I know sometimes those low income jobs are just enough for people to lose government assistance, making it more doable for folks to stay in the system. ( I hope that made sense). I have an idea..... Say pizza man needs a 35 hour a week employee. A needs a job to get off the government dole but can't live on that. How about pizza man gives the job to A, instead of pizza man paying A directly pizza man sends the money to the state. The state continues to give A the money he would be getting if he wasn't working at all. A is able to work, improving his general feeling about himself. A is able to learn more about the pizza business. Maybe one day A becomes manager at pizza business, making more income, learning more, improving his ability to get a better job. With all that's he's learned, and his new found self confidence,A is able to get a managers position enabling him to get off the government dole! Since pizza man was paying his share to the state they are actually paying out less than if A never got a job. Win, win!!
I vote anyone able to work has to work for assistance! Maybe, just maybe it can instill a little pride in folks by earning a living.
I hope the way I explained this makes sense.

We need to remember the unsettled question as to whether or not the body cam video is public record.

The half-hour video, which looks like it was shot through a Vaseline-smeared lens, is among hundreds of hours of recordings from body cameras the Seattle Police Department has uploaded to YouTube. Before roughly 800 officers begin using the cameras next year, Seattle police want to know whether posting the videos online is an efficient and affordable way to ensure the public can access them. The videos are “redacted” so that viewers cannot identify the people in them.

But McDonald, of the FOP, said public information laws need to be adapted to manage body cameras. Protecting private citizens is the chief reason police officers want to carefully regulate which videos can be released, he said, pointing to videos recorded during routine patrol duties, like visiting a home during a domestic argument, as footage not to be released.

“No crime has been committed, but now we have a video that could be used to ruin somebody’s life,” he said.

http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...blic-disclosure-of-police-body-camera-footage

There are a lot of issues still to be resolved... what about gruesome crime scene video? Video of a severely abused child? Video of a suicide victim and his hysterical family? Video of people who were not arrested and did nothing wrong? Rape victims? Victims in a car accident?

While I'm a big fan of body cams, there are many, many privacy issues that need to be resolved.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yes, for the victim’s protection.

The victim is not going to see it as protection. She is probably not wanting to describe the assault in gruesome detail on a video which can be seen by many people and possibly used by the rapists defense team.

ETA: EVENTUALLY, A rape victim will be interviewed on camera by the investigators. By then she will be composed, calm, and ready to speak. But when the first officers arrive, she is not ready for a camera.

Think about how many dash cam videos we have seen released. Videos of drunk celebrities and videos of people taking the DUI tests etc. They somehow end up on TV and in web.

Now multiply that greatly, and include ALL police interactions. NOTHING will be off limits or discreet. I would not want every conversation I ever had with a cop to be possibly leaked online.

We had an ongoing dispute with a crazy neighbor. Everyone on our block had an issue with her. She was nuts. Would I want her to ever see or hear what I told LE about her and the things I saw her doing? No, I would be afraid. She hated animals and tried to poison my dog and some other dogs on our street. I was afraid of her. If I had to talk about her on camera, I would probably decline.

This BodyCam issue is a tough one. On one hand, they are so important both for the safety of our LEO's and for civilians. But I do agree with katydid23 in that I can see how they could hinder investigations and questioning of suspects and witnesses. It would be nice to see some sort of legislated protocols as to when they can/should be turned on and off.

But the privacy issue is funny to me. If you are on a computer or Ipad or phone look directly straight ahead. Do you see that camera looking back at you? Edward Snowden and others have already made us aware of the capabilities of the NSA. You ARE being recorded. And that information IS being stored. Creepy I know. But true nonetheless. We gave up our privacy in the name of security almost 15 yrs ago.

This BodyCam issue is a tough one. On one hand, they are so important both for the safety of our LEO's and for civilians. But I do agree with katydid23 in that I can see how they could hinder investigations and questioning of suspects and witnesses. It would be nice to see some sort of legislated protocols as to when they can/should be turned on and off.

But the privacy issue is funny to me. If you are on a computer or Ipad or phone look directly straight ahead. Do you see that camera looking back at you? Edward Snowden and others have already made us aware of the capabilities of the NSA. You ARE being recorded. And that information IS being stored. Creepy I know. But true nonetheless. We gave up our privacy in the name of security almost 15 yrs ago.

Are you alleging that our device's cameras are always recording and the recordings are being stored somewhere?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back