WI WI - Vernon Co, WhtFem 50-65,261UFWI, severed hands, dentures, May'84

to Morningstar and pljnw, thank you both for participating in this forum. I know it must be difficult not knowing what happened to your mother/grandmother, but it must provide some comfort to know that there are people like us at WS who take our own time to try to match the missing persons to the unidentified deceaseds.

to Morningstar and pljnw, thank you both for participating in this forum. I know it must be difficult not knowing what happened to your mother/grandmother, but it must provide some comfort to know that there are people like us at WS who take our own time to try to match the missing persons to the unidentified deceaseds.

Yes, it is a comfort. I have spent many hours looking through records for possible matches and I can only do that for so long due to time, children, and also the fact that it's so sad, I need to focus on something pleasant for a while.

It certainly does give us comfort that people care and give of their time to try and match up unidentified to missing loved ones. It's no small task, and you all are wonderful.

Thank you so much.
Penny

Would it be helpful to submit my mother's info with Doe Network, or is NamUs and this site enough? Thnx!

I would submit it to Doe also. I mainly use the Doe Network (unidentified) and The Charley Project (missing) to try and match people.

Hi everyone,

Welcome to WS Morningstar and pljnw. It is always nice to have family join us here at WS to assist with the search for your missing loved ones. I don't know if either of you have been verified. Verification is quite simple, you will need to email Tricia, the owner of Websleuths with your name, case name, telephone number to contact you. the information remains confidential and only Tricia the site owner will have it. I will ask one of the current unidentified moderators to contact you to have the verification process completed. (I am a former moderator now).

Also, since this thread is specifically for the possible match between Shirley and the UID in question, I don't want the other information to get lost as if this possible match is ruled out this thread then is locked to new posts and marked ruled out...

I will start a new thread for Shirley's case in our missing but not forgotten area of WS and link it here so the discussion on her missing case can continue and include all relevant info in addition to this one possible match. I hope you understand. We have to do this at WS in order to keep it somewhat organized with so many cases....

I will open a thread specifically for Shirleys missing persons case shortly.

Many prayers and wishes that we can find answers to Shirley's disappearance. You are both wonderful for keeping the search for her alive! God Bless

Cubby

As Cubby said, members who wish to post as insiders, family and friends of a victim, or others who have firsthand information about a case are asked to be verified.

Here is the information you'll need:

If a member wants to post as a professional ( a lawyer, shrink, and so on) or as a local/knows the people involved then they must email us at the following email.
wsverify@xmission.com
Please include:
The case
Your Websleuths name
Your phone number and a good time to call
Your real name.
In the subject line please put which case they are asking to be verified on.
All info will be kept strictly confidential
Thank you!
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Professional Posters & Verified Locals/Insiders

LE have recently asked for assistance with this case through the media. I will follow up with some media links.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/261ufwi.html

Unidentified White Female

•Discovered on May 4/5, 1984 along a gravel road in Westby, Vernon County, Wisconsin.
•Cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head.
•Estimated date of death 24 to 48 hours prior to discovery.

Vital Statistics

•Estimated age: 55-70 years old
•Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5" - 5'6"; 150 - 160 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White Female. Her hair was tinted brown with streaks of gray at the temples, and she may have had a permanent shortly before her death; blue eyes. Toenails were left untrimmed with nails having a hooked appearance.
•Scars, Marks: 4-3/4" vertical abdominal scar, along the midline.
•Clothing: She was wearing a plaid, three quarter length coat. It was brown, tan, black and turquoise, and lined in purple. A dress in large blue and white paisley print pattern on a black background. Coat and dress appear home sewn. Light blue turtleneck top. Also wearing nylons rolled just above the knees and tan, slip-on shoes in size 8 1/2.
•Blood Type: type "O".
•Dentals: Full dentures with the following numbers on tissue side of upper denture - 420 inscribed with a burr tip instrument - 2889 in raised lettering on denture when made at dental laboratory. Poor hygiene.

Case History
The victim was located on the roadside along Old Line Road in Vernon County, about six miles from Westby, Wisconsin. Her hands was missing, presumably severed by her killer to make identification difficult. Her hands have never been found.
The perpetrator made no attempt to hide the body and dumped her in open view. The woman had been bludgeoned to death at some other location, then dumped at the side of the road, presumably by her killer.
A bright yellow vehicle, similar to a Toyota compact, may have been used in the crime.

http://www.news8000.com/news/Catching-her-killer-Justice-for-Jane-Doe-Part-1/-/326/12439250/-/14lcncx/-/index.html

Three teenagers had found a body off Old Line Road, about four miles south of Westby. Hanson was the deputy who answered the call.

"Then I could see the body up by pretty close to that tree up there," said Hanson. "So, I stopped right about here, could see the U-turn in the gravel at that time. Then I got out of the car and walked over here and walked in the grass."

It was the body of an older woman abandoned on the side of the road. Her head bludgeoned. Her hands severed at the wrists.

There is a video associated with the above article.
http://www.news8000.com/news/video/?v=32303

Here is the video associated with Part 3 of the article. It has good views of various pieces of evidence, including Jane Doe's clothing.

http://www.news8000.com/news/video/?v=32347

261UFWI2.jpg

From her doe network page.

The closest matches I have come up with so far are:

Norma Mae Maynard. Disappeared from Boone Co. Iowa in Feb/79 at age 61:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/395dfia.html

NMaynard.jpg

My comments: She's a bit short (5' 3"), but otherwise a dead ringer. No info re scars or dentures. From not TOO far away.

Marion Marcelle Thiessen. Missing Oct/79 from Elliot Lake, Ontario.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1967dfon.html

MMThiessen.jpg

My comments: Has scar on her chest, which is inconsistent with Jane Doe. Had been know to disappear before.

Edrel Mae Pierce. Missing May/81 from Humboldt Co. CA, at age 56.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/843dfca.html

EPierce.jpg

My comments: Pretty good match. Right age, body size, eye color. Looks very similar. Psychiatric patient for many years. Abdominal scar not a good match? (Appendix scar and hysterectomy.) No info on dentures.

I sent an email well over a year ago to Vernon County regarding Norma Maynard and heard nothing back. The biggest issue with her is the 5 year gap in her disappearance and the 1984 Jane Doe, not that it would be impossible.

I know the family of Shriley Elizabeth Frew, who are members here, have been in contact with Vernon County however I am not sure what the status is.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back