GUILTY WI - Viveka Hawkins, 4 mos, smothered by drunk mom, Oshkosh, 23 Feb 2005

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by 2sisters, Nov 12, 2005.

1. 2sisters

2sisters New Member

2. Loading...

3. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

2sisters that link didn't work. I am going to post this one to see if it works.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,175386,00.html

That is strange. The two urls appear to be identical, yet when I click on the first link it shows as a bad link, yet the second link works for me.

4. Casshew

Casshew Former Member

A 4-month-old girl died when her inebriated mother fell asleep on top of her while breast-feeding, prosecutors said.

Lorinda Hawkins told police she fell asleep about 15 minutes after she started breast-feeding the baby Feb. 23 because of her intoxication, a criminal complaint said. When she woke up about an hour later, the baby was pale and wasn't breathing, the complaint said.

Hawkins was charged Friday with one count of child neglect causing a death. If convicted as a repeat felony offender, she could be sentenced to 29 years in prison and fined $100,000.

Tragic Story :(

5. angelmom

angelmom The love stays...forever in our hearts

This is so sad, but it really irritates me that the media is using the bait that this was a "death after breastfeeding" as if that had anything to do with the baby dying!!! :furious:

This baby is dead because the incompetent, drunk ass "mother" had one (or five) too many drinks and rolled over on her and killed her. She could have been laying down giving her a bottle and done the same damn thing.

It just makes better headlines this way.

Of course, it doesn't help that this woman hasn't won any awards for Mother of the Year, and apparently DFCS left the baby with her a little too long. Oops.

Ugh.

6. 2sisters

2sisters New Member

Thanks for fixing the link, don't know why it didn't work. Number 1 the child shouldn't have been with her to begin with , number 2 everyone knows you arent supposed to drink alcohol while nursing.

I know what you mean angelmom, I clicked on the story b/c I actually thought breastfeeding had something to do with the death.

7. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

From July 2006:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/0...mothering-child-while-nursing-when-drunk.html