GUILTY WI - Warren Henkelman for sex abuse, child *advertiser censored*, Portage, 2009

http://portagedailyregister.com/news/local/article_a829ec1c-25ba-11df-9a40-001cc4c002e0.html

New charges filed against Portage man accused of sexual assault

"New charges filed Monday mean a possible life sentence in prison for a Portage man accused of the sexual assault of two girls.

Assistant District Attorney Linda Hoffman added three charges Monday to the seven filed in October against Warren J. Henkelman, 42.

The three charges are felony first-degree child sexual assault - intercourse with a person younger than 12, felony first-degree child sexual assault - sexual contact with a person under age of 13 and misdemeanor possession of THC (marijuana).

Henkelman was charged in October with two similar child sexual assault charges, felony child abuse, misdemeanor exposing genitals to child, and three counts of felony possession of child *advertiser censored*.

Henkelman is charged as a persistent repeater on each of the felony sexual assault charges; the enhancer carries a penalty of life in prison without the possibility of parole......"

more at link

On a personal note, one of the victims' mother has been in touch with me and assured me that her daughter is doing well and is in therapy. Let's watch this case as I think there's some new developments coming down in the next few days.

I do not want it forgotten that this case had a very interesting factor since the beginning.

From Post #4:

"He's a RSO on the lamb from Oregon and no one knows that he's living with young children? Why isn't he listed as absconded from Vinelink, unless he successfully completed probation? Why didn't anyone search for him? Wouldn't his wife or extended family know of his status?"

And note Post #6. He's talking on MS about winning custody of the child he later raped. The person he's disparaging is now the custodial parent. He thought he won, I guess.

From Post #9:

"According to the Wisconsin Department of Corrections Sex Offenders Registry Web site, Henkelman was convicted in the state of Oregon in June 1992 of third-degree rape. Although he is a lifetime registrant as a sex offender, he did not inform authorities in Wisconsin of his move into the area, according to Detective Lt. Mark Hahn of the Portage Police Department." (per the Portage Daily Register)

Then what is the Wisconsin Offender Registry and why did they have WH's correct stats and address (even a helpful map to his home) on the simplest to access site for RSO searches? Is Detective Hahn confused?"

As pleased as I am that Henkelman's days are numbered, I'd really like some answers to why a RSO was allowed to have children in his home (even a relative child with whom there had been allegations) and why authorities state that they did not know where he was. This is not true!!!! He lived in the area for 4-5 years and they say they had no idea who he was. The child's mother let authorities know that he was a RSO. I strongly believe that the victimization of these two innocent children is to a strong degree due to the inept management of the SO registry. JMO

in answer to your questions, mz iz, in order.....

1) cps/dcfs/dhs/whatever messed up
2) the cops are lying to protect themelves.

If I'm not mistaken, this is a very unexpected turn of events. Can anyone explain to me the success rate of being found competent to stand trial and then pleading not guilty by reason of insanity? Wouldn't the competency tests run on the man be used against that argument?

http://portagedailyregister.com/news/local/article_b490d034-2c08-11df-92f0-001cc4c002e0.html

Mental impairment plea entered over sex charges

"Not guilty due to mental impairment was the plea entered Tuesday by the attorney for a Portage man facing more than life in prison on child sexual assault and child *advertiser censored* charges.

Assistant District Attorney Linda Hoffman added two new charges to the nine filed against Warren J. Henkelman, 42, during a hearing Tuesday in Columbia County Circuit Court where Henkelman entered his plea.

Henkelman, 42, now faces 11 charges in Columbia County Circuit Court, and officially entered two separate pleas to those counts at a hearing Tuesday: not guilty, and not guilty by reason of mental impairment or disease - often referred to as an NGI plea.

A possibility of 30 years additional in prison were added Tuesday to the case after Hoffman charged Henkelman with two new counts of felony possession of child *advertiser censored*...."

more at link

If I'm not mistaken, this is a very unexpected turn of events. Can anyone explain to me the success rate of being found competent to stand trial and then pleading not guilty by reason of insanity? Wouldn't the competency tests run on the man be used against that argument?

http://portagedailyregister.com/news/local/article_b490d034-2c08-11df-92f0-001cc4c002e0.html

"Not guilty due to mental impairment was the plea entered Tuesday by the attorney for a Portage man facing more than life in prison on child sexual assault and child *advertiser censored* charges.

Assistant District Attorney Linda Hoffman added two new charges to the nine filed against Warren J. Henkelman, 42, during a hearing Tuesday in Columbia County Circuit Court where Henkelman entered his plea.

Henkelman, 42, now faces 11 charges in Columbia County Circuit Court, and officially entered two separate pleas to those counts at a hearing Tuesday: not guilty, and not guilty by reason of mental impairment or disease - often referred to as an NGI plea.

A possibility of 30 years additional in prison were added Tuesday to the case after Hoffman charged Henkelman with two new counts of felony possession of child *advertiser censored*...."

more at link

from your link, MissIzzy

An NGI plea means that a defendant lacks the capacity to understand the consequences of his actions and conform those actions to the law, said defense attorney Dennis J. Ryan of Madison.

"(Henkelman) wanted to raise it today," Ryan said of the NGI plea. "It is better to have it open for evaluation at the beginning."

Henkelman will undergo a full psychiatric evaluation to determine his state of mind at the time of the incident; if he is determined to not have mental impairment or disease, the not-guilty plea stands, Ryan said.

Results from the evaluation may take as many as three months, according to Ryan.

A jury ultimately may decide if Henkelman was not responsible for his actions at the time of the incident, Ryan said.

sounds to me that this is just SOP for the defense....and a way for the defendant to delay the trial....JMOOOC.

RSO's need to be gps chipped.... bottom line. They need to be able to be tracked at all times and we must not DEPEND ON THEM to report in when they change an address, etc... This guy makes me hurl.

I agree, I first thought of chip implants for them 5 years ago. The problem is, they would do anything to remove them, I'd bet even cut off a limb.

Maybe if the chip was implanted into their sex organs. Do you think they'd cut that off?

Still a bit confused. How do the competency tests which Henkelman underwent a couple of months ago compare to the testing he will now undergo to see if he has the possibility to claim insanity?

From what I'd understood, this case was headed to a possible plea bargain. I wonder if the prosecutors are upping the stakes to nudge him towards a plea? I think this NGI claim is a surprise for everyone. Playing games, drawing things out, continuing to traumatize the very young victims.

Still a bit confused. How do the competency tests which Henkelman underwent a couple of months ago compare to the testing he will now undergo to see if he has the possibility to claim insanity?

From what I'd understood, this case was headed to a possible plea bargain. I wonder if the prosecutors are upping the stakes to nudge him towards a plea? I think this NGI claim is a surprise for everyone. Playing games, drawing things out, continuing to traumatize the very young victims.

Looks to me like it's new charges, new pleas, new mental/competency assessment.....I don't see the logic in it either as he was found competent to stand trial on the other charges -- but I guess he has his rights to waste taxpayer dollars, and delay justice for the victims.

MissIzzy, here's the short version: a NGI plea/defense focuses on the defendant's state of mind at the time of the offense. Competency is whether the defendant is currently able to understand court proceedings and assist in his/her own defense.

Here's a scenario for illustration. A person with schizophrenia goes off their meds, is actively psychotic and commits a criminal act. They are arrested, and go to court. Because they are still untreated, they are hallucinating in court and totally unresponsive to what is going on. This person would hopefully be found incompetent to proceed, and would be committed to the state DFS for treatment to competency. Periodic reports would be filed, and, usually, the person is treated back to competency. The court case then resumes, and whether the person was NGI at the time the crime was committed is a separate issue.

A second scenario: a person with schizophrenia is well-treated and stable, and decides to shoplift. While sitting in jail, the person stops taking meds and becomes psychotic. This person could be found incompetent to proceed, committed for a period of time, treated to competency, and then the criminal case proceeds with no NGI issue raised.

It can get more complicated, but that's the basic explanation.

The two issues can be, and often are, related, but they *are* separate legal issues.

Whoever does the NGI evaluation will have access to the competency evaluation.

Let me know if there are more questions along these lines!

Very very helpful, thank you RLynne. However it goes, it looks like Henkelman is going to force the little girls to testify.

and there where younger children there as well when him and his daughter were there that needs to be check out as well. The reason that he was on on the os list here in Wisconsin come to find out he did not let Wisconsin know about what happen in Oregon, so not even the homeless shelter knew that he was possible threat the the other residents.

pzykronic--Welcome!! So glad to have you. So you know Mr. Henkelman? It was our understanding that he lived in an apartment with his wife, daughter, and two young sons. I thought that that apartment was where the abuse occurred with the two girls.

When and where was he is a homeless shelter? Was it right after he moved back to Wisonsin from Oregon? If you have reason to believe he might have had access to children, you need to call the local police.

Once again, glad to have you.

He was in a homeless shelter from July 13th 2009 til I believe the beginning of august. The police are aware that he was there during that period.

more at link

Because he entered NG & NGI pleas, if he's found 'not Insane' at the time the crimes were committed, the NG plea stands....I don't see this perv getting out of this -- especially w/ the CP charges.

I hope he has a judge like Foradora that makes sure he's boxed up & locked away the rest of his life....his MS blogs make me wanna :sick: ....he is *not* a "nice guy".

I don't think he'll be found insane. I read the letter he wrote to his brother saying that he did it and that he wanted to kill me and his ex wife. He knew what he was doing was wrong because he told the girls not to say anything. If he really thought it was ok or he didn't know what he was doing... he wouldnt have told them anything. I'm the victims mother by the way... I was ShadowKissed, but something is screwed up with my account.
The DA said that if his attorneys Doctor find him insane, she'll get more doctors to go against him. He will not get away with this.:woohoo:

I don't think he'll be found insane. I read the letter he wrote to his brother saying that he did it and that he wanted to kill me and his ex wife. He knew what he was doing was wrong because he told the girls not to say anything. If he really thought it was ok or he didn't know what he was doing... he wouldnt have told them anything. I'm the victims mother by the way... I was ShadowKissed, but something is screwed up with my account.
The DA said that if his attorneys Doctor find him insane, she'll get more doctors to go against him. He will not get away with this.:woohoo:

Welcome, Kara

I'm sorry for the pain & agony you have been thru. (((hugs)))

Good to hear the DA is prepared to fight back & put this evil thing behind bars!!

You hang tough, Kara. Both you and that daughter of yours are strong women. I know Warren's going away for a long long time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back