Widespread power outages with several inches of snow in Texas and the US, Feb 2021

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/saskpower-exporting-electricity-winter-storm-1.5919946

From Canada, SaskPower is helping people impacted by winter storms in the Southern U.S.

The Crown corporation began exporting 150 megawatts of electricity south of the border on Sunday, then bumped that number up to 175 megawatts four days later.

SaskPower said in a release that the exported power is being fed through an intertie into the Southwest Power Pool, which co-ordinates the flow of electricity across approximately 60,000 miles of high-voltage transmission lines spanning 14 states.

SaskPower said it managed to handle higher-than-normal peak loads during our own polar vortex earlier this month and will continue to offer its support to the U.S. as long as possible.

"In Saskatchewan we know first-hand the challenges posed by extreme winter weather, and being part of an integrated grid means that when called upon, we help each other out," Kory Hayko, SaskPower vice-president of transmission and industrial services said in a release.

Griddy customer unable to switch provider stuck with $17,000 electric bill

Griddy customers face $5,000 electric bills for 5 freezing days in Texas

"In our deregulated market, Griddy and some other power suppliers charge customers wholesale variable rates. Those plans are relatively new — and left customers frustrated after the storm.

Karen Cosby said her cost is $5,000 for usage since Saturday at her 2,700-square-foot house in Rockwall. DeAndre Upshaw of Dallas said the electric bill for his 900-square-foot, two-story townhouse was also $5,000.....

Those spot prices hit $9,000 per megawatt-hour. That means $9 for a kilowatt-hour that usually costs Cosby around 7 cents, and sometimes as little as 2 cents.

In Texas’ deregulated electricity market, Griddy and some other power suppliers charge customers wholesale variable rates per kilowatt-hour. The plans are relatively new. Most Texans pay fixed rates."

Griddy customer unable to switch provider stuck with $17,000 electric bill

Griddy customers face $5,000 electric bills for 5 freezing days in Texas

"In our deregulated market, Griddy and some other power suppliers charge customers wholesale variable rates. Those plans are relatively new — and left customers frustrated after the storm.

Karen Cosby said her cost is $5,000 for usage since Saturday at her 2,700-square-foot house in Rockwall. DeAndre Upshaw of Dallas said the electric bill for his 900-square-foot, two-story townhouse was also $5,000.....

Those spot prices hit $9,000 per megawatt-hour. That means $9 for a kilowatt-hour that usually costs Cosby around 7 cents, and sometimes as little as 2 cents.

In Texas’ deregulated electricity market, Griddy and some other power suppliers charge customers wholesale variable rates per kilowatt-hour. The plans are relatively new. Most Texans pay fixed rates."

WTH?! Who could take a hit like that? We are on "Budget" billing here, runs about $120 a month for electric. $50 for gas. 1400 Sq.

The thing about a lot of homes in the warmer climates don't have gas heat, the house runs on electric, because A/C is the most important thing. It is crazy if it is cold.

WTH?! Who could take a hit like that? We are on "Budget" billing here, runs about $120 a month for electric. $50 for gas. 1400 Sq.

The thing about a lot of homes in the warmer climates don't have gas heat, the house runs on electric, because A/C is the most important thing. It is crazy if it is cold.
Heck, I’ve had gas HVAC in my houses including gas stove, gas hot water heater and gas dryer. All over the south.
Electric bill would have been outrageous otherwise.
Boiler/Oil heat in VA/MD/PA.
Think the only time I had electric was in KW.

Heck, I’ve had gas HVAC in my houses including gas stove, gas hot water heater and gas dryer. All over the south.

Gas stove, gas water heater, gas heat, gas fireplace here. Best of both worlds when the electricity goes out to have a gas fireplace.

Cruz family’s Cancun trip rattles their private school

upload_2021-2-20_20-9-4.png
Demonstrators stand in front of U.S. Senator Ted Cruz's home demanding his resignation, Thursday, Feb. 18, 2021, in Houston. Cruz has acknowledged that his family vacation to Mexico was “obviously a mistake” as he returned stateside following an uproar over his disappearance during a deadly winter storm.

tedcruzcancun.jpg

I’m in Texas in a fairly typical suburban neighborhood. We didn’t even have the option for gas when we built our house. All electric. Thankfully, we have set electric rates. I expect my bill to be very high because I’m sure we used a lot more than normal, but it won’t be like what these other folks on variable rate plans are experiencing.

I’m in Texas in a fairly typical suburban neighborhood. We didn’t even have the option for gas when we built our house. All electric. Thankfully, we have set electric rates. I expect my bill to be very high because I’m sure we used a lot more than normal, but it won’t be like what these other folks on variable rate plans are experiencing.
Wow. Just shows how varied things can be in one state! (Although Texas is HUGE)
You need to pack snacks and a cooler to go to Costco. Or make sure there’s a Buc-ees.

Incredible! Wish it was here, beats the Stuckey's I used to stop at.
Sliced-brisket sandwich and blocks of fudge sliced for you how delightful.

Suspected hypothermia deaths in homes mount in Texas

With the snow and ice clearing in Texas after the electricity was cut to millions as temperatures plunged, people are being found who likely froze to death as they struggled to stay warm in their unheated homes
  • c76da2e47746988a98bd0878afb0dfe1
    • afc15be5fa7562254b064607f134c1e2
    • Winter Weather Freezing to Death
      FILE - In this Feb. 16, 2021 file photo, Morgan Handley, left, helps move people to a warming shelter at Travis Park Methodist Church to help escape sub-freezing temperatures, in San Antonio.

Last edited:
“I’m really glad that I’ve been able to help people, but a 23-year-old with a Twitter account becoming the primary source of food for some Austinites? That is a tremendous issue.”

A seniors’ apartment complex went without water for days, warming centers closed because of power and water outages, and child cancer patients languished in a hospital, desperate for food.

“This should not be my job and the job of my neighbors, to be running around trying to find bottled water to give to kids in a cancer ward. I’m happy to do it, and my neighbors are happy to do it, but it’s just ridiculous.”

Texans rally to help neighbors amid big freeze as officials are caught cold

After raising more than $235,000 through a campaign, Houston organizer Christina Tan said her team at Mutual Aid Houston planned to distribute two waves of direct funds: one to address immediate needs, another for long-term costs such as burst pipes, high electricity bills and medical bills.

After Zach Price, who also weathered the storm in Austin, heard that his
alma mater, the University of Texas, was still charging students to eat at its dining halls, he offered to cover the cost for a few meals on Twitter.

More donors started to chip in, creating an impromptu mutual aid fund that gave students $10 or $20 and supported other Texans in need.

8f8182e8febfadccd9c291f34ab6a4df

The Democratic congresswomen Sheila Jackson Lee, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Sylvia Garcia help distribute food at the Houston Food Bank

10b78679af57adab3495a2278182475c

Volunteers hand out cases of water bottles at the Schlitterbahn Waterpark parking lot in Galveston, Texas.

60a33451eb9d593fe9af6a1457e5ba1b

Dori Ann Upchurch is helped by a Austin Disaster Relief Network volunteer, Cody Sandquist, left, and a Red Cross volunteer to a warming station in Austin, Texas.

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-21_1-47-37.png
    upload_2021-2-21_1-47-37.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads