Will Smith slaps Chris Rock on stage live at the OSCARS

Will Smith's Oscars slap gets mention at Grammy pre-show

2022 Grammys: All eyes on first awards show since Will Smith slapped Chris Rock

Will Smith's Oscars slap got a mention at the Grammy pre-show Sunday afternoon.

LeVar Burton, the host of the pre-show ceremonies Sunday, introduced comedian Nate Bargatze and told everyone they needed to stay in their seats.

“I need to warn everybody, the next presenter is a comedian,” Burton said. “I need to caution everybody, remain in your seats and keep your hands to yourselves."

Bargatze came out with a comically oversized helmet just in case.

Will Smith's Oscars slap gets mention at Grammy pre-show

2022 Grammys: All eyes on first awards show since Will Smith slapped Chris Rock

Will Smith's Oscars slap got a mention at the Grammy pre-show Sunday afternoon.

LeVar Burton, the host of the pre-show ceremonies Sunday, introduced comedian Nate Bargatze and told everyone they needed to stay in their seats.

“I need to warn everybody, the next presenter is a comedian,” Burton said. “I need to caution everybody, remain in your seats and keep your hands to yourselves."

Bargatze came out with a comically oversized helmet just in case.
I don't understand the complete lack of security at these events. I remember thinking, when Kanye West charged the stage during Taylor Swift's award acceptance, "Wow, how does that even happen?" As tame as it was it was still shocking. Now this outrageous physical attack by Will Smith at the Oscar's.

Do the producers of these events just assume the audience will act with class and decorum? That it's not a problem that someone can so easily just charge the stage without any impediment? Do they actually have to go so far as to make a rule that your @ss must remain in your seat unless you have been called by name to the stage?

Apparently, they do. Sorry state of affairs.

IMO

ETA: It occurs to me that Kanye charging the VMA stage like that was the beginning of the end for him. The beginning of him becoming completely unraveled. It'll be interesting to see if Smith follows the same downward spiral or if he manages to climb out of this hole eventually.

Last edited:
In case not posted:

Blech. No, Denzel, the "devil" didn't make him do it and it won't all be solved by prayer. It'll be solved by consequences and some serious anger management treatment. Good grief. I feel like I'm in upside-down world.

IMO

ETA: And to make matters worse, there is not one expression of empathy for the victim, Chris Rock. It's all empathy for the perpetrator. It's no wonder people like Will Smith think they can get away with committing violence, surrounded by enablers like this.

Last edited:
Yeah if a person can’t legally walk up to a child molestor on the street and punch em in the face, for example, then how can it be okay for someone to hit someone else? In other words, violence and throwing the first hit is never legal in any kind of situation, even when it is very, very well deserved. The only time a physical act is allowed is in the case of self defense. So, point is, you just can’t walk up to someone and hit them, period.

Yeah if a person can’t legally walk up to a child molestor on the street and punch em in the face, for example, then how can it be okay for someone to hit someone else? In other words, violence and throwing the first hit is never legal in any kind of situation, even when it is very, very well deserved. The only time a physical act is allowed is in the case of self defense. So, point is, you just can’t walk up to someone and hit them, period.
It's not even just that. These people are telling WS he is the victim in all this. He is the one who needs comfort. He is the one who needs support. What kind of messed up message is that????

What about the real victim, huh? What about him??? And the rest of us who were traumatized by proxy? But no, no. Let's comfort and coddle the perpetrator. WTH?

IMO

It's not even just that. These people are telling WS he is the victim in all this. He is the one who needs comfort. He is the one who needs support. What kind of messed up message is that????

What about the real victim, huh? What about him??? And the rest of us who were traumatized by proxy? But no, no. Let's comfort and coddle the perpetrator. WTH?

IMO

It is sickening!

In case not posted:

Yeah.....I'm not quite sure how to put it in words how I feel about this. The Oscars, ABC ( Disney) puts on a show Worldwide. Their star ' performer' was given the highest award for acting, a standing ovation, and the opportunity to grandstand with his acceptance speech, all AFTER he committed assault on stage and assaulted the eyes, ears and minds of how many people?

And now, ABC wants me to look inward?
Me??????

It is sickening!
It really is. It's like my husband hauling off and smacking me upside the head in the middle of the street and all the neighbors rushing over to comfort him and help him through the trauma.

Imagine how that must feel to the victim, Chris Rock? These people are deplorable. I used to have respect for Denzel. Not anymore.

IMO

“‘My wife' — is a logic of property ownership,” said Eversley, who is interim chair of Baruch’s Black and Latino Studies program. “In the history of racial slavery and violence against Black women, we can certainly see all the ways in which Black women in particular have been treated as property,” she said. “For Black men to do it does not make it any better than when white people do it.”

''Still, times have changed. Today, behavior like Smith’s slap at the Oscars is more likely to be condemned as a consequence of an unchecked ego than to be cheered as a righteous defense of a Black woman, Eversley said. “Jada Pinkett (Smith) is not a damsel in distress,” she said. “The idea that somehow Will Smith should be applauded for treating her as if she doesn’t have a voice or doesn’t have her own agency is also a problem.” “That he can get away with that kind of violence on national television, go back to his seat, receive an award and then go party,” Eversley continued, “suggests to me that even the tears about defending his wife aren’t really about defending his wife but his own ego.”

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/celebrities/article259943725.html#storylink=cpy
RSBM
I think viewing women as the property of men is just plain old machismo, and it was common, and is still found, in many cultures in the world. I think it's jumping to conclusions to assume it's related specifically to the history of slavery. Here's a random example from India: "Investigations revealed that Raman was a friend of Raju. Raju had slapped Raman’s wife during a heated exchange over a trivial issue and to avenge his wife’s insult Raman killed Raju. His mother was also eliminated as she came to her son’s rescue during the scuffle." Amethi Man Killed Friend, Mother To Avenge Wife’s Insult | Lucknow News - Times of India

IMO, it's a cultural value, which a person needs to believe in, in order to act on it. Most modern legal systems punish it and it's not an accepted valued in the culture of the academy awards and similar institutions.

We are very tolerant of people who break many cultural norms: such as a woman going to the Oscars with a shaved head. It doesn't surprise me that some people, who approve of the culture of machismo, will see WS's actions as being no different, and should be equally tolerated.

IMO the whole machismo thing is completely backward, where a trivial matter like a woman's hair becomes the important thing, and the violence is trivialized as just a personal quirk of the man.

RSBM
I think viewing women as the property of men is just plain old machismo, and it was common, and is still found, in many cultures in the world. I think it's jumping to conclusions to assume it's related specifically to the history of slavery. Here's a random example from India: "Investigations revealed that Raman was a friend of Raju. Raju had slapped Raman’s wife during a heated exchange over a trivial issue and to avenge his wife’s insult Raman killed Raju. His mother was also eliminated as she came to her son’s rescue during the scuffle." Amethi Man Killed Friend, Mother To Avenge Wife’s Insult | Lucknow News - Times of India

IMO, it's a cultural value, which a person needs to believe in, in order to act on it. Most modern legal systems punish it and it's not an accepted valued in the culture of the academy awards and similar institutions.

We are very tolerant of people who break many cultural norms: such as a woman going to the Oscars with a shaved head. It doesn't surprise me that some people, who approve of the culture of machismo, will see WS's actions as being no different, and should be equally tolerated.

IMO the whole machismo thing is completely backward, where a trivial matter like a woman's hair becomes the important thing, and the violence is trivialized as just a personal quirk of the man.
But initially WS did not consider the joke an insult. He thought it was funny--he laughed. What did Jada say to him right after the joke to incite him enough to storm up to the stage, assault CR, angrily drop those F bombs, and make a complete fool out of himself? The Academy knows. People sitting near them know. I doubt the media is going to stop until they find out.

It's not about the hair. I wish people could understand this. It's about the fact that Jada made it plain she did not want to marry Will and only did it because her mother demanded it. That is emasculating. It's about the fact that Tupac was Jada's over-riding love, over Will, which is emasculating. It's about the fact that a 22 year old boy brought Jada more joy and completion than Will ever could. Which is emasculating.

It's about WS being emasculated and always second best and not being able to fullfill Jada's needs, which she tells him point blank. I think his attack on Chris Rock was his way of finally showing Jada he could be a MAN. He's just simply tired of competing and always coming in second. In his twisted mind, attacking Chris Rock in a display of toxic manhood is what drove him to do what he did. To prove to Jada that he IS a man worthy of being #1. Which he never has been in her eyes. She makes sure of that.

Which is completely dysfunctional, but a way that WS thought he could come out on top for once.

Of course, it backfired spectacularly in the court of public opinion, but it might be enough to finally get his wife back, in his mind. And for all we know that's all WS cares about even if it tanks his career completely. The daggers in his heart at the Red Table when she told him a 22 year old boy was able to give her what Will never could was just soul crushing. I think what he did to Chris was 100% a display to his wife that he wasn't the weak and substandard male specimen she has driven into his head. The target could have been anybody.

Of course, that is no excuse for his violent and criminal behavior. It would have been better to privately confront his wife's toxic behavior and handle his dysfunctional marriage privately rather than act out some toxic masculinity to try to eradicate the toxic problems in that marriage.

But Chris Rock - an innocent bystander, should never have been dragged into and used as an instrument in this marital mess.

IMO

My friend has been severely triggered by this violent act because her ex used to walk up to her, sometimes with a sweet smile on his face and then slap her or pull her hair just like CW did.
Rock was smiling as CW walked up to him, he too was totally unaware what was about to unfold because CW, the coward, had his intentions hidden.

Last edited:
My friend has been severely triggered by this violent act because her ex used to walk up to her, sometimes with a sweet smile on his face and then slap her or pull her hair just like CW did.
Rock was smiling as CW walked up to him, he too was totally unaware what was about to unfold because CW, the coward, had his intentions hidden.
This is exactly what I have said in response to this. It really was a trigger for those in domestic violence situations. I was and that’s exactly where I went in my mind when I observed WS’s behavior and how CR just had to take it. No Hollywood “advocates” are talking about this. It’s all about agendas. I felt so much empathy for CR as he had to continue the show with this maniac sitting right in front of him.

After all the school shootings, and 9-11, and what’s happening in the Ukraine, I’m darn sure not going to be overly upset over the sight of one movie star slapping another- in public. Too bad it happened, but as violence goes, it’s extremely small potatoes.

Who is CW?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back