Woman In Swimsuit Smokin' Ciggie

I know I'm pretty much grasping at straws, but just to add, if this wikipedia entry is to be believed (with a grain of salt, obviously;) ) his known whereabouts in the late 60s early 70s (which might line up with the instamatic camera, flower petal cap) would put him as being in California after getting his BFA (presumably for film or photography) then documented as a fugitive, then in New York. So maybe he hit Florida at some time around 68-69 before going to New York? Maybe that would explain the Sea Grapes in the shot with the girls and the bicycles?

Rodney Alcala 1968 Graduated UCLA, Bachelor of Fine Arts (California, USA)

Rodney Alcala 1968 "Tali S." age 8 (Rape, Battery; Convicted. California, USA)

Rodney Alcala 1968-71 Fugitive

Rodney Alcala 1968-1971 enrolled at NYU (New York, USA) Alias John Burger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Alcala

I know it's a stretch, but just throwing it out there.

I'm sure this is nothing at all, but this hotel has similar colors and it is in central florida, if I'm not mistaken. It was a very hip place to stay, apparently, as bob dylan was a guest, as was sinatra, and many others;)

http://www.wppl.org/wphistory/LangfordHotel/LangfordHotelSwimmingPoolCa1960s.jpg

It's mentioned here, too
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_Park,_Florida
The central florida location would match the shrubbery on the other thread.

kz3dhw-kz3dgw0034.jpg
LangfordHotelSwimmingPoolCa1960s.jpg

the railings and furniture dont match up to the sketch, but I guess it could have been remodeled.

Yeah, I had looked at that particular photo too and others of the era in FL. Not only aren't the railings right, which by the way are sorta' unique, but notice how much wood there is used in the Alcala photo, compared to our motels....lots of aluminum & steel, from the building, to the furniture to the aluminum umbrellas compared to wood chairs and to the canvas umbrellas (in Alcala's photo) ... ...I'm leaning more and more that this is a foreign beach. Just thinking out loud. By the way, keep forgetting to mention, but there is a slight glimpse of a tall building (for the decade) in the background in one of these photos also.

Yeah, I had looked at that particular photo too and others of the era in FL. Not only aren't the railings right, which by the way are sorta' unique, but notice how much wood there is used in the Alcala photo, compared to our motels....lots of aluminum & steel, from the building, to the furniture to the aluminum umbrellas compared to wood chairs and to the canvas umbrellas (in Alcala's photo) ... ...I'm leaning more and more that this is a foreign beach. Just thinking out loud. By the way, keep forgetting to mention, but there is a slight glimpse of a tall building (for the decade) in the background in one of these photos also.

not to mention the roof is way off, and the Langford was apparently known for being built around the greenery, which is mostly absent from Alcala's photo. oh well;) as always, back to square one...

I've been to some Spanish resorts and their hotels tend to be more high rise, the only other thing i can think is that Freddy Laker offered really cheap flights from the UK to the US in the 1970's could she be from the UK.

I noticed that her sunburn doesn't match the bathing suit she's wearing.

Is there any way of identifying the tall white structure in the upper left hand corner of the pic?

Her teeth are oddly spaced, for looking for Does.

I was looking into those beach umbrellas, there is a company called "beach mart" that sells ones very similar to those in the photo, but also some hotels in Thailand use similar models but mostly have the hotels logo on.
Just a thought - could the hotel be in Mexico?

From the places Alcala is known to have been, I think this motel was most likely in Nevada or possibly Texas. He was never known to have been in Florida which is very far from his known locations. No disrespect, but I think Florida is a stretch.

This motel drives me nuts, because I almost recognize it, the colors that is.

I've tried different angles on this photo, the bikini (supposedly post 1975 due to the style ) and the architecture, I wondering with the colour scheme if the hotel was part of a chain of hotels.

I'm also thinking about chains. All I can think of during that era are Howard Johnson (orange and turquoise), Holiday Inn ???, Ramada Inn (I stayed in one in Tulsa OK with a turquoise theme but I can't remember if there was any yellow. There must have been some more chains I'm not thinking of. Also, as as been previously mentioned this building was well constructed, probably not a cheap place to stay. That makes me think maybe Vegas.

Redbird - I think you may be right with Vegas as the location.

The timeline for RA says he was vacationing in Vegas Feb 26 to 28,1978. I have been looking for a cold case in Vegas that would fit those dates. I did not find any for those dates but I did find the case I have listed below. Date doesn't fit and manner of death doesn't fit, but it is an interesting coincidence. Also I looked through vintage pictures of the Sahara Hotel. I'm sure they remodeled over the years and I didn't find anything that looked just like this picture. But similar decor. See what you think:

http://www.lvmpd.com/bureaus/homicide_coldcases70.html

Case #: 78-57908
Victim: Irene Bertha Huber, 29 YOA
Suspect: Unknown
Date: September 22 – 28, 1978

I don't know why...but this photo (woman and surrounding decor) screams "european" to me. I wonder if when he was in Denmark he might have been staying at this hotel? I mean, I have nothing to go on but gut feeling, but this just doesn't look american to me.

Redbird - I think she is a possible match.

The architecture doesn't seem european, and the outdoor swimming pool would really only be usable in the summer months and possibly in the south of europe spain, italy, greece?

Looking again at the architecture could it be the googie/pop luxe/doo wap style?

http://www.spaceagecity.com/googie/

I think the shape of the swimming pool and the glass might put this building in this style. I just can't see it being in europe, (i live in france). Its wierd the thigs you learn though!

I looked through a number of vintage Las Vegas Hotel sites, postcards and although I didn't find the exact deck chairs, I found several pictures that were very similar to this picture. The Sahara did have several pictures with a yellow and turquoise theme and I might have found the exact decor if I had been able to keep looking but I don't think I have the persistence of some of our dedicated posters. The deck chairs in our picture look very sturdy and expensive and that is what I found with other Les Vegas Hotels. I do think this picture was taken in Las Vegas. Except for his stint in the army, I don't think we have any knowledge of him vacationing in Europe or Mexico. I don't think he could have made a lot of money with his miserable photography career or his job as a typesetter so I can't see him doing a lot of vacationing in other countries.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back