Would-be carjackers drive boy to school

http://wavy.com/2015/11/18/two-men-steal-car-drop-kid-inside-off-at-school/ ....
But Mom left the boy in a running car while she went to work? Say what???

^sbm Exactly.
Both the vid & the article say Mom went in "to work" at post office (not to mail package) w 8 y/o boy waiting in car.
For a 10 min shift? 30 min? One hour? Four hours? Eight?

Why leave engine running? For heat for boy? How long, again? Broken starter, can't depend on re-starting? What?
Why not lock doors? If she cannot trust him to unlock doors to let her in, can she trust him not to unlock for strangers?

Maybe my thinking is off. Glad the boy got to school safely & hope Mom does not do this again.

There's so much wrong with this story. What is amazing is that this boy made it to school safely!

I'm :waiting: to hear "the rest of the story."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The investigators are still trying to determine if there was any type of danger to the child while the keys were inside the vehicle, running,” he said. “They don’t want to jump to conclusions, they want to talk with her, figure things out.”

Determine if there was any type of danger? Um, let me see... for starters, he could have been a victim of a carjacking... . *facepalm*

It's not every day that helpful carjackers come to take kids to school when mom is unavailable.

Hopefully the mom just went in the workplace for a minute to pick up something she forgot and it's not her habit to store her kids in the car while she works.

I am so glad these carjackers only wanted to be thieves. This story could have ended so differently.

And at least we know the carjackers are local. Since they knew where the school was.

Did they find it close to a (high) school? Since the carjackers were so 'nice', and the police found the car so fast*, it almost sounds like two kids running late for school seeing an opportunity to miss out an a third tardy and school detention... (note how I said school detention, and yeah, it doesn't make 100% sense to me either - but I'm not a teen anymore, lol).

From the article it sounds like the mom just popped into the post office/work for a short amount of time. That's what it read like to me. People around here go into places all the time and they mean 'pop in and out'.

Edit: *I know they were able to track it due to the mom's phone, but by then it had already been abandoned, indicating the carjackers did not 'need' the car for long and at least did not use it for long.

Is it standard procedure to check the school if a child goes missing? First time I read the article I was surprised the police thought to check there first thing.

"Oh, the carjackers must have taken the child to school," certainly wouldn't be the first thing I'd think of, but the child is 8 years old, old enough to report what happened, and if the child said something to his teacher about being carjacked s/he would have called the parents or the police ASAP I think. Or the mom might have called the school distraught to inform them that the child wouldn't be attending due to unforeseen circumstances, and they said, "oh what are you talking about, he's here". Or maybe the child has his own phone or borrowed a friend's phone to call someone to let them know where he was?

I'm sure they check with the school pretty fast in lots of missing child cases, because the teachers might be able to tell you things about the family or if they've been worried for the child possibly being abused or troubled, or to verify a date when someone outside the family last saw the child etc. But perhaps not within the first 15 minutes after a car jacking. Mom's phone was stolen, if she's not the type that posts her kids photos all over social media the school might have been the closest place to get the child's picture?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu
Back