Would you be frightened being left in a remote trailer with two little kids at night?

Would you be frightened being left in a remote trailer with two little kids at night?

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 149 36.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 130 31.5%
  • Not with a dog.

Votes: 53 12.8%
  • Not with a security system, a gun, and a dog.

Votes: 81 19.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be afraid. My parents use to let me stay at home alone when they went on fishing trips. I was in my late teens at the time. Their house sits back off the road a bit & is surrounded by woods. Now, I'm a single mom so I'm alone with a kid most of the time. I'm also one of those people that will go and look when I hear something.

On the other hand, my brother lives way out in the boonies. I was visiting them one night and we were sitting on his back porch. I heard this god awful sound that freaked me the hell out!! I was shaking and he said my face was ghost white. After he finished laughing at me, he said it was only a bobcat "screaming". Whatever. That was the scariest, most horrible sound that I've ever heard in my life and I never want to hear it again!! **Shivers** I've also heard coyotes while I was at his house. I can't handle the wild animal noises.

I would feel safe. I've lived in much less safe environments. I think that the key is to stay out of trouble. That is not a guarantee that you will not be affected by crime but it greatly lowers your risk (imo). I would feel even better if the door was locked.

I wouldn't have a gun around kids. Lost a childhood friend that way.

Yes. I would be scared witless.
I've lived in big cities, I've lived in the suburbs, I've lived in the desert, and I've lived in the country.
The only place that frightens me at night is the vast, dark, remoteness of wooded areas.
Too many places for 'THEM' to hide, too far away for rescuers to hear me scream.
Okay, I just scared myself typing that.
I'm such a wuss.

I live out in the country....always have and wouldn't want it any other way!!! We have the occassional kids who like to mess around at our swimming hole but other than that its pretty darn peaceful. We are always prepared however.... shotgun within reach ....dog is always on alert....I would never want to live in a city or even a small town like the ones around me.

If RC & MC would have had a dog - we all wouldn't be here talking about where's Haleigh.

Have to add a "drug fact" in here. People who do coke are VERY PARANOID when they are high (I have witnessed this). So I would think MC (if doing drugs) would have had a "heightened awareness" of being there alone with the kids. Maybe that's why they all slept in the same room.

I've lived in a trailer in the rural backwoods of SC with my sister and her 2 children, we also had a big Boxer dog and also a little shihtzu mix. There was many times where i'd be home alone at night or with the kids at night. It was eerie at first, i got used to it and i'd have to go outside on the stoop to smoke a cigarette. The dogs would carry on if anyone was on the property. (empty lots of woods all around us, another trailer way down in the back with a car graveyard of 30+ cars. The police wouldn't come to the area unless they got called, it was never patroled. I'd prefer country over suburbia and city any day!

Yes. I would be scared witless.
I've lived in big cities, I've lived in the suburbs, I've lived in the desert, and I've lived in the country.
The only place that frightens me at night is the vast, dark, remoteness of wooded areas.
Too many places for 'THEM' to hide, too far away for rescuers to hear me scream.
Okay, I just scared myself typing that.
I'm such a wuss.

I forget about that one! Thanks for reminding me :eek:

If RC & MC would have had a dog - we all wouldn't be here talking about where's Haleigh.

Have to add a "drug fact" in here. People who do coke are VERY PARANOID when they are high (I have witnessed this). So I would think MC (if doing drugs) would have had a "heightened awareness" of being there alone with the kids. Maybe that's why they all slept in the same room.

Every time there has been a theft at/near my proprety, the main things the cops tell us are -
1. A barking dog is much better than any security system you can have installed. Big or small, as long as they will bark.
2. Use motion detector lights - and use them correctly.

Was it coke that R was busted with? [Just thinking out loud. You don't have to answer that.] And, yeah, it would make you paranoid as all get-out. So would meth, I imagine.

We live in the country and although there are houses fairly close, they wouldn't hear us if we screamed, unless they were out in the yard. I wasn't scared for years, but now I am, unless my husband is home. There have been a lot of breakins recently in our area. But I can definitely understand a young girl like Misty being scared there with two small children. She will probably be more scared now, after this.
About 3 years ago, I stayed with my two grandsons the night their baby sister was born, and their back door wouldn't close well enough to lock. I was terrified! The closest house was about 150 yds away, and I didn't know the people at all. I was really glad when he got home about 2 a.m.

I wouldn't I raised both my kids in a trailer out in a remote area and I felt very safe..Of course there were times when I was scared but not too often..

I wouldn't have it any other way to be honest with you all... but then I was raised in a rural part of Co. 20 miles from town.. no neighbors...

I think I would be on edge with all those SO, but really they aren't all active SO seeking their next victims, or they wouldn't have been released. Sure some do reoffend, but there are SO all over the world, in every neighborhood. Many haven't been caught, as most sex crimes go unreported..

I guess I just don't like town cause of the people... seems to me the more people the more conflicts.

I live in the country and love it! I have two dogs and a .38 in my bedside table. I pity anyone who tries to break in...I'd have no second thoughts on pulling the trigger. I also think small country areas are known to have well armed residents...hunters, private folk who don't take kindly to strangers...a deterent in itself. I can't think of one neighbor who doesn't at least have a shotgun and one or more dogs. Our crime rate is extremely low compared to more urban living areas. In all the years I've lived here...not a single problem, yet when I lived in an "upscale" home for just a couple years, it was broken into once when I wasn't there and another time my daughter and I were playing cards and a guy jumped the fence from behind my house into my yard (we could hear an alarm going off in a house behind us). My Chow chomped down on his leg and slowed him down enough that although he made it out our gate, he was arrested a few minutes later. Funny story...the guy tried to sue me for pain and suffering a few months later due to the dog bite. Duh....

BTW, I signed up for the email alert from my local sheriff's office and get info on all felon's who move into my zip code. Easy to do and I would imagine if my small town force has this option, many more would as well. I think many people would be shocked to know how many felons/SO live within just a few miles of their homes, even in the better neighborhoods!

Are you in NOLA?

Flint MI, turns out that out of the 130,000 people in my county, 598 of them are RSO's. :eek:
ANd those are just the registered ones.
Considering that the recidivism rate for sex offenders is over 80%, I am not comforted by knowing these guys and gals were already caught once.

Im at home alone during the week (hubby drives a truck) with two kids, 6 dogs and 11 guns. We live in the woods, in the country on 5 acres. We have neighbors but they arent "close" I guess. They are close enough that they could hear me screaming tho I hope! We have a remote control gate from the main gravel road to our drive so I know nobody could drive to my house. Just gotta say I never locked my doors until I started reading here! lol...Biggest problem here is drunks driving the roads late at night and occasionally thievery-in broad daylight no less.

I'm afraid no matter where I have lived, be it country, city or suburbs, 'cause there was always some freak that would try to "mess with you."

When I was a kid, living in the country, it was the stranger hiding behind the tree with a butcher knife while we went swimming. Or the time the 2 men came to our door claiming their car broke down and they needed to use the phone. When we wouldn't let them in, they tried to break down the door.

In the city, there was the nice landlord who eventually attacked you, the stalking neighbor who lived on the same floor or the psycho guy who followed you home everyday, the pimp lurking in the alley who said he "just wanted to talk," or when you went to get your car in the parking garage, you saw some figure crouching down in the stairwell.

Then, in the suburbs there was the kind neighbor who you thought was really helpful, but in fact was a sexual predator.

I lived in the boonies on my grandmothers property, but I hated it. It was spooky and it would have taken the LE or fire department forever to get there if something had happened. I certainly would not live in an area where there are SO's if I had children.

I voted no since I lived in a similar situation just a couple of years ago, and then way before that. When you get the impression out there that you are one crazy woman, not afraid to protect her own....not too many people would dare come into my yard. Seriously. Our door didn't even shut. Let alone lock.

I voted for "skeered" as I would be even if I had a big dog or two.

When I lived on my ranch way out in the boonies, I was never afraid I Had 6 big dogs..never locked my door..

Now I live in the city 2 dogs, am more nervous,Lock all the doors, but I have a 38..so come on ahead..Just call me "pistol packin momma.".:woohoo:Today is totally different that 15 yrs ago when I had my ranch.Too much crime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53