Wrongful Death Suit filed Nov. 13, 2013 in California

Discussion in 'Rebecca Zahau Nalepa' started by Salem, Nov 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *Lash*

*Lash* Justice 4 Rebecca

Hi LuckyLucy2!

We almost agreed on something until I noticed you used the word fraudulent.

2. Carioca

Carioca Member

Hi Lash ~ Thanks so much for brilliantly summarizing the 3 motions in your post above! Kudos.

Hi LuckyLucy 2 ~ Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding. Both cases I'm referring to are indeed Estate of Rebecca Zahau v. Shacknai et al, as per attached. Neither is Zahau vs County of San Diego. Have also attached the Case Summary 3:13-cv-01624-W-NLS for which the Hon. Thomas J. Whelan is presiding, which clearly states who the defendants are:

Case: 3:13-cv-01624-W-NLS
    Estate of Rebecca Zahau et al v. Shacknai et al
    Thomas J. Whelan, presiding

Date filed: 07/12/2013
    Date of last filing: 08/29/2014
    Plaintiff: Estate of Rebecca Zahau
    Defendant: Adam Shacknai
    Defendant: Dina Shacknai
    Defendant: Nina Romano
    Defendant: Does 1 through 50, inclusive

[​IMG]

Case: 37-2013-00075418-CU-PO-CTL
    Estate of Rebecca Zahau vs. Shacknai
    Judicial Officer: Katherine Bacal

Filing Date: 11/13/2013
    Plaintiff: Estate of Rebecca Zahau
    Defendant: Adam Shacknai
    Defendant: Dina Shacknai
    Defendant: Nina Romano

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. LuckyLucy2

LuckyLucy2 Former Member

Snipped for brevity.

Carioca, if what you stated above was correct, Whelan is the Senior Judge of the United States District for the Southern District of California. That means he would hear FEDERAL cases, not San Diego. And as far as I know, he cannot preside over both courts.

Perhaps the Zahau's filed the federal case against the SDSO under the same name of Zahau vs. Shacknai and Romano?

The last dated document clearly states that Judge Bacal is presiding over the San Diego case.

4. time

time New Member

<pardon my snipping for brevity>

First off, I'll admit I don't really understand all that is going on with these motions/documents..... however, I do find it odd that the defendants appear to be claiming the Zahaus are cherry picking. Why the heck would they be filing a suit if they agreed with it all. I just don't see where it is the Zahau's responsibiity to include the entire report but it's obvious that it was ruled a suicide and they think it is a homicide. The defendants can do that later if they want, can't they? IDK, it just seems their objections are a moot point.

5. time

time New Member

Well I agree... And, I'd love to hear what the people have to say who were at Dina's house. ;)

6. Ausgirl

Ausgirl ...

rsbm

Taking all personal opinions out of it, and just standing back a bit to look at this set of facts alone... When you take into account that the scene of Rebecca's death was so highly unusual, and had elements of a possible homicide. AND the case involves a bunch of people with a very clear cause for motive, it's just.. alarming.

And leads to immediate questions of who had friends where. I can't understand any body of LE acting in such a manner, unless they had a reason for neglecting obvious and important elements of the investigation.

7. *Lash*

*Lash* Justice 4 Rebecca

RBM - Carioca, I am taking this to mean the federal case was reopened this year on 7/8/2014? As well the date of last filing mirrors the states. The federal case involves the diversity issue, maybe something changed regarding the diversity concern? TIA

8. bourne

bourne "The truth shall set you free." ~JUSTICE FOR REBEC

9. bourne

Lash, I thought the diversity jurisdiction issue was resolved when the Zahaus brought the case to the local level in CA?

10. bourne

Agreed. I think there was definite bias on part of LE for the wealthy POIs vs. the poor "babysitter/girlfriend" Rebecca. Unfortunately wealth seems to trump justice in many cases. People with money, power and influence tend to be able to buy their way out of difficulties often even at the expense of a dead murdered victim.

11. bourne

Looks to me that Judge Whelan is presiding over the WDS as well...according to Case: 3:13-cv-01624-W-NLS in which he officiated over the 9/8/2014 filing of Zahaus' response to motions for dismissal by Dina, Adam and Nina (Doc #42-44).

12. *Lash*

*Lash* Justice 4 Rebecca

Same here Bourne! But after further research the federal case is showing reopened! Cause is Diversity and Personal Injury. IANAL and I have no idea what this means. I did notice it was reopened the same day the Second Amended Complaint was entered.

There are 3 different cases:

37-2013-00075418-CU-PO-CTL Estate of Rebecca Zahau et al vs Shacknai
    Katherine Bacal, presiding

PENDING
    http://courtindex.sdcourt.ca.gov/CISPublic/namesearch

37-2013-00047752-CU-MC-CTL Par vs County of San Diego
    Randa Trapp, presiding

DISMISSED
    http://courtindex.sdcourt.ca.gov/CISPublic/namesearch

3:13-cv-01624-W-NLS Estate of Rebecca Zahau et al v. Shacknai et al
    Thomas J. Whelan, presiding

REOPENED

Attached Files:

13. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

Should we ask one of the WS legal professionals to give us an opinion?

14. Frigga

Frigga New Member

YES!

Please!

Gitana or AZLawyer, but of course Gitana has the added benefit of understanding California law!

15. *Lash*

*Lash* Justice 4 Rebecca

16. Ausgirl

Ausgirl ...

I would really like to see the majority of threads re-opened in this case... If there's still an open court case, I cant see why relevant threads regarding the question of suicide vs murder must remain closed.

There's some posts I'd like make, and having just two threads open is really frustrating!! I feel like I'm continually off topic, but there's nowhere more specific to post..

17. *Lash*

*Lash* Justice 4 Rebecca

I would also like to see the threads reopened. However, I do understand there are so many threads in Rebecca's case it is likely difficult to moderate. Especially considering the passionate posters following this case and posts tend to get heated. We could ask if maybe one general new thread could be created so we could discuss suicide vs murder?

18. Ausgirl

Ausgirl ...

That would be awesome!

19. Salem

Salem Former Member

Tell me, in a nutshell kind of way, and with a link or two please, what the new information is, please. Depending on that new information, I will discuss with Management and consider opening a new thread or two.

Thanks,

Salem

PS -- maybe alert the post also, so I will come are check it out.

20. LuckyLucy2

LuckyLucy2 Former Member

Hi Salem,

I'm curious why this thread is filed under "Unsolved Feature Cases" when it has been ruled a suicide since Sept. 2011? Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.