Wrongful Death Suit filed Nov. 13, 2013 in California

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the link Quester...I'd nearly forgotten about the neighbor that reported screaming coming from Spreckles. If I'm remembering things correctly, SDSO stated that the screams that the neighbor heard were "teenagers on the beach". Did SDSO ever interview the said teenagers? Was there ever anything from their social media that proved that teens where on the beach (across the street from the house)?

A general food for thought question would be (IMO) for those people who actually live on a beach, wouldn't you be used to "beach noises"? I live in a big city and live very close to a transit station, we get all kinds around here. I could easily tell you from when I'm in bed reading if something was coming from where the station is or if it coming from closer to home. This is only because I've lived here for years and I hear people out and about at all times. I imagine it's quite different and lovely when one is living on the beach. My point is that Ocean Avenue is, obviously, an avenue, it's not a small one lane road. Also, from what I can ascertain from looking at maps, the beach is somewhat down hill and a bit away from the houses with some bit of brush in between.

If a neighbor, who presumably had been in their home for awhile heard screams coming from Spreckles and felt so sure about what they heard that they went at least twice to speak to LE about it speaks volumes. It's another huge red flag in a sea of them. Why wasn't any of this taken more seriously at the time? Think about where you live and the sounds you hear at night, if something is as loud as a scream, is it something you would notice, remember? Coronado is a sleepy ocean town I'm sure there is the occasional noise complaint, but I would hazard to guess that other than the occasional teenager shriek of whatever they are excited about, a scream or screams would stand out?

ALWAYS MOO

If I recall correctly, P.I. Paul Ciolino, during his interviews on Coronado, two people he talked with lived on the island - each lived on different sides of Spreckles - each heard a female call for help from Spreckles - around 11:15 - 11:30 p.m. that night.

Thanks for the link Quester...I'd nearly forgotten about the neighbor that reported screaming coming from Spreckles. If I'm remembering things correctly, SDSO stated that the screams that the neighbor heard were "teenagers on the beach". Did SDSO ever interview the said teenagers? Was there ever anything from their social media that proved that teens where on the beach (across the street from the house)?

A general food for thought question would be (IMO) for those people who actually live on a beach, wouldn't you be used to "beach noises"? I live in a big city and live very close to a transit station, we get all kinds around here. I could easily tell you from when I'm in bed reading if something was coming from where the station is or if it coming from closer to home. This is only because I've lived here for years and I hear people out and about at all times. I imagine it's quite different and lovely when one is living on the beach. My point is that Ocean Avenue is, obviously, an avenue, it's not a small one lane road. Also, from what I can ascertain from looking at maps, the beach is somewhat down hill and a bit away from the houses with some bit of brush in between.

If a neighbor, who presumably had been in their home for awhile heard screams coming from Spreckles and felt so sure about what they heard that they went at least twice to speak to LE about it speaks volumes. It's another huge red flag in a sea of them. Why wasn't any of this taken more seriously at the time? Think about where you live and the sounds you hear at night, if something is as loud as a scream, is it something you would notice, remember? Coronado is a sleepy ocean town I'm sure there is the occasional noise complaint, but I would hazard to guess that other than the occasional teenager shriek of whatever they are excited about, a scream or screams would stand out?

ALWAYS MOO

BBM: Totally agree, ITD...someone who lives there knows the sound of teenagers on the beach and could surely discern that from a scream coming from a home.

Police who weren't there were the ones who dismissed it as teenagers on the beach.

If I recall correctly, P.I. Paul Ciolino, during his interviews on Coronado, two people he talked with lived on the island - each lived on different sides of Spreckles - each heard a female call for help from Spreckles - around 11:15 - 11:30 p.m. that night.

BBM: Gotta wonder what Ciolino thinks about the investigation.

ALWAYS MOO

BBM: Totally agree, ITD...someone who lives there knows the sound of teenagers on the beach and could surely discern that from a scream coming from a home.

Police who weren't there were the ones who dismissed it as teenagers on the beach.

So the timeline of the screams for help fits well within a reasonable time of Nina's text and the eyewitness cyclist. Just one question for those familiar with Coronado's beaches: Do they normally experience offshore breezes in the evening like other coastal areas? If so the sounds from the beach would be carried toward the water, rather than up towards the street and the houses, making it much more likely that the neighbors correctly recognized the screams as coming from Spreckles.

So the timeline of the screams for help fits well within a reasonable time of Nina's text and the eyewitness cyclist. Just one question for those familiar with Coronado's beaches: Do they normally experience offshore breezes in the evening like other coastal areas? If so the sounds from the beach would be carried toward the water, rather than up towards the street and the houses, making it much more likely that the neighbors correctly recognized the screams as coming from Spreckles.

Hard to say, I'm sure it could be looked up if there were offshore winds. The bigger thing to keep in mind is that Coronado has a curfew that kicks in at 11pm. Typically the beaches start to be cleared much earlier than that. If there were "teens" on the beach at this time, IMO, they'd be laying low and not drawing attention to themselves. Big difference between some laughter and some screams. I firmly believe that the neighbors heard screams for help and not kids playing on the beach.

This is not related to any specific post, and I warn you in advance it may be long. :) I have been a member of this group since 2008, but have commented once or twice in the past few years; I had to step away for a while after the Caylee Anthony injustice. This is difficult and embarrassing for me to share, but this case has haunted me from day 1 and I need to speak out regarding the issue of Rebecca's "suicide".

Twelve years ago my beloved Mother committed suicide very unexpectedly. She was diagnosed as a Paranoid Schizophrenic when I was in my late 20's and as an only child it was my responsibility to care for her. She had no help raising me, and I had no help caring for her. Because of this we were extremely close and since she didn't show blatant signs of mental illness until later in life I have almost three decades of beautiful memories of my life with her. At the time I was putting myself through school by working days and going to school at night. When she took her medications regularly 99% of the time she appeared completely "normal" and to look at her you wouldn't know she had such deep issues.

*I apologize if I'm starting to ramble here and say things out of sequence, but this is harder than I thought it would be and I have to keep taking breaks to cry. This is a pain that will never go away. I basically not to discuss it or think about it too much because the pain is unbearable. That's how strongly I feel about this case.

To make things a little shorter, I thought everything was going well until one night when everything I knew about life was blown away. As I said, I worked all day, went to school at night; so one night I was still up at a little after midnight when there was a knock at the door. I was told on my door step that my Mother was dead and had shot herself earlier that day. I immediately fell into hysterics, my boyfriend at the time was called to come be with me, but all I remember is sobbing like that for days and being unable to think or do anything for myself. Sorry, I guess I didn't need to get that personal, but I am now an advocate for preventing suicide and always stress to the few groups I talk to just how painful it is for those left behind. I'm more calm now and will try to keep this as unemotional and factual as possible.

My mother did not tie herself in knots, or any of the long ABSURD list of things Rebecca is supposed to have done. She slashed her wrists, and when that didn't work quick enough she shot herself. SHE WANTED IT TO END QUICKLY!! I am aware that some people plan out their suicides in advance and have their plan ready. That is very rare. But I can assure you that not a da** one of them who did went to the trouble of planning something as elaborate or bizarre as Rebecca. Now for my true shame...a few months after the suicide when I was just getting back together, someone thought it necessary to mail me her suicide letter and autopsy out of the blue with no warning. The letter was caked in dried blood and blamed ME...she had happened to go off her meds and was upset that I didn't respond to a trivial remark in an email she had sent that I had no idea would have ever even bothered her. Something else in her life had happened that day that didn't involve me, but that is what set her off. I can't tell you how badly I lost it. There are no words...all I saw was a blood soaked letter blaming me and an impersonal autopsy that had drawings on it of where the bullet entered - I was unable to read it by that point. I was hysterical, blaming myself for my Mother's desk and I ran to the kitchen, picked up the biggest butcher knife I could find and slashed both wrists. As it happens my door was unlocked and my wailing and sobbing had alerted a neighbor who came to check on me. He acted quickly, called an ambulance, and my life was saved. I received wonderful care in during recovery in the hospital that has led to me never trying that again and growing enough from the experience to try to advocate for suicide prevention and removing the stigma from mental illness.

It is only because of my angel of a neighbor that I am alive and there are no words to express my gratitude to him and the sorrow and shame I will always feel towards my loved ones for my actions. But I have shared this with you with you in such emotional detail for one reason: I PERSONALLY KNOW WHAT IT IS LIKE TO BLAME YOURSELF FOR SOMEONE'S DEATH AND TRY TO COMMIT SUICIDE OVER IT!! I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT HAVING THE PRESENCE OF MIND TO RUN AROUND AND GATHER ROPE, TAPE, PAINT WEIRD PHRASES ON THE WALL AND ALL THE OTHER THINGS REBECCA IS CLAIMED TO HAVE DONE....WITHOUT LEAVING ANY EVIDENCE!!! WHEN YOU ARE IN THAT STATE OF EMOTIONAL DISTRESS THAT YOU ARE READY TO END YOUR LIFE YOU GRAB THE CLOSEST THING YOU CAN FIND AND JUST TRY TO GET IT OVER WITH AS FAST AS YOU CAN BECAUSE YOU CAN'T STAND TO BE ON EARTH ONE MINUTE LONGER!!!

I apologize if that came off like a crazy woman ranting, I assure you I am very sane and received years of mental care after my suicide attempt a decade ago, but I am very passionate about this subject. I know some people will argue that no two suicides are the same, everyone is wired differently mentally, etc. Let me add that I spent many years in suicide survivors group therapy sessions and NEVER heard anything as ABSURD as the crap that has been put out about this case, much less the physical evidence involved. And how does someone who is basically bound at the feet and wrist even get onto a ledge, much less well enough to leave a nice neat set of footprints that can somehow be clearly identified as hers. I would struggle if I were trying to climb on a ledge just to reach up to clean a spider web, so how does a completely bound woman accomplish this mission??? She was so distressed that she wanted to end her life, but she made sure to make a nice set of footprints on a ledge she somehow climbed up on. RIGHT!!

I apologize for the length of this post, and the deep emotions that overcame me at times and spilled over into my writing. However, I believe even those facts strengthen the point that a suicidal person or a person feeling guilty over potentially causing someone's death (or in this ridiculously obvious case of something the EXACT OPPOSITE of a suicide) would not behave in the manner in which we are absurdly expected to believe. And this is a little off from the topic of my post, but the face that Asian bondage *advertiser censored* had recently been searched online and that afterwards the same black paint that was used in the message on the wall was on her nipples and AS's boot (or pants...not sure exactly, but I definitely read that somewhere) gives it an especially eerie twist. Thank you for letting me get all of this off my chest...it has been bothering me since the case first broke years ago.

Oh gosh, I just looked and saw how much space that took up. I apologize and understand if it needs to be deleted or modified. I just don't know what part I personally could edit out, being that it is emotional for me. But I will respectfully understand if it needs to be removed or edited. Thank you for allowing me to get years worth of pain and suspicions off my chest.

Thanks Wishingtree for taking the time, reliving the pain to share your valuable insight & experience. We need you here.

OC Sunshine, thank you for your kind words and not writing me off as a raving lunatic! :) I just let my emotions build up on this one for too long. I intend to stay around if my post doesn't get me banned. :)

Oh gosh, I just looked and saw how much space that took up. I apologize and understand if it needs to be deleted or modified. I just don't know what part I personally could edit out, being that it is emotional for me. But I will respectfully understand if it needs to be removed or edited. Thank you for allowing me to get years worth of pain and suspicions off my chest.
Dearest WISHINGTREE Thank you immensely for sharing your intimate and painful memories with us, (Me, especially). I have wondered what sorts of trauma, absent mental illness, could trigger the bizarre set of circumstances described by SDSO. Your beloved Mother's suicide (I am so happy you have good memories of her, too.) had a targeted reason, in her mind. And as you stated, someone who functioned much better with medication. (I admire every person who is involved with NAMI.) History of mental illness, your Mother leaving a suicide note, and the weapon being by her side... the manner and cause of death no doubt facilitated the final determination. I empathize with the pain of receiving documents, as an additional burden to an already grieving family. I know it was not intended to hurt you, but they did.
I was called by the funeral home, to tell me my child's death certificate had finally arrived and that I could go to their offices to pick it up, that afternoon. The lady was trying to be helpful and made it a point to tell me she had "ordered extra copies" for me, too. (go figure) I was absolutely dumbfounded and could not speak for a while....it was like receiving a blow to the chest that takes your breath away and makes the room spin. In the midst of "her incredible office efficiency" if she had taken the time to look at the death certificate, she would have realized she was calling me on my dead child's birthday.
Sometimes, because they deal with death--- as an arm's length/daily transaction--- they forget the emotional toll on the families.
Again, thank you for your incredible insight, background info and personal impressions on how it could relate to the suspicious circumstances (IMO) surrounding Rebecca's death.
Always remember, your Mother died because of her illness, not because you didn't love and adore her. Good night, with warmest....IQ.

Dearest WISHINGTREE Thank you immensely for sharing your intimate and painful memories with us, (Me, especially). I have wondered what sorts of trauma, absent mental illness, could trigger the bizarre set of circumstances described by SDSO. Your beloved Mother's suicide (I am so happy you have good memories of her, too.) had a targeted reason, in her mind. And as you stated, someone who functioned much better with medication. (I admire every person who is involved with NAMI.) History of mental illness, your Mother leaving a suicide note, and the weapon being by her side... the manner and cause of death no doubt facilitated the final determination. I empathize with the pain of receiving documents, as an additional burden to an already grieving family. I know it was not intended to hurt you, but they did.
I was called by the funeral home, to tell me my child's death certificate had finally arrived and that I could go to their offices to pick it up, that afternoon. The lady was trying to be helpful and made it a point to tell me she had "ordered extra copies" for me, too. (go figure) I was absolutely dumbfounded and could not speak for a while....it was like receiving a blow to the chest that takes your breath away and makes the room spin. In the midst of "her incredible office efficiency" had taken the time to look at the death certificate, she would have realized she was calling me on my dead child's birthday.
Sometimes, because they deal with death--- as an arm's length/daily transaction--- they forget the emotional toll on the families.
Again, thank you for your incredible insight, background info and personal impressions on how it could relate to the suspicious circumstances (IMO) surrounding Rebecca's death.
Always remember, your Mother died because of her illness, not because you didn't love and adore her. Good night, with warmest....IQ.

Dear Sweet IQuestion, there are not words strong enough to tell you how much I feel for you over the loss of your beloved child, and then enduring even more trauma when some idiot didn't bother to look at your child's death certificate to notice the birthdate. One extra moment on her part would probably saved you at least a little of your pain. I have heard there is no pain like the loss of a child, and my heart shatters for you for the loss you endured and the added trauma from the funeral home. At the same time it swelled a little because it gives me some faith to cling to in this world. You have shown me that even someone who have has so brutally traumatized in life can still reach out and share such delicate and personal moments just to comfort a total stranger. My gratitude is immeasurable. I can't believe someone else shared my double trauma, for lack of a better term. Not many people know that blow to the chest feeling that you so perfectly described, but those of us who have never forget it. I will never forget this post and will hold you and your child in my thoughts and heart forever.

As you said, most people deal with death at arm's length and can't begin to comprehend the emotions involved in severely unexpected tragic situations. They can't possible understand the mindset of that blow or the literal physical and emotional devastating pain to the mind, heart, and body that a person goes through in these types of situations. I was so raw in my post because I wanted to make Rebecca REAL to everyone. Thank you again, and may you have a good night also.

Thank you Wishingtree for sharing your life's journey. I admire your courage and passion :daisy:

This is not related to any specific post, and I warn you in advance it may be long. :) I have been a member of this group since 2008, but have commented once or twice in the past few years; I had to step away for a while after the Caylee Anthony injustice. This is difficult and embarrassing for me to share, but this case has haunted me from day 1 and I need to speak out regarding the issue of Rebecca's "suicide".

Twelve years ago my beloved Mother committed suicide very unexpectedly. She was diagnosed as a Paranoid Schizophrenic when I was in my late 20's and as an only child it was my responsibility to care for her. She had no help raising me, and I had no help caring for her. Because of this we were extremely close and since she didn't show blatant signs of mental illness until later in life I have almost three decades of beautiful memories of my life with her. At the time I was putting myself through school by working days and going to school at night. When she took her medications regularly 99% of the time she appeared completely "normal" and to look at her you wouldn't know she had such deep issues.

*I apologize if I'm starting to ramble here and say things out of sequence, but this is harder than I thought it would be and I have to keep taking breaks to cry. This is a pain that will never go away. I basically not to discuss it or think about it too much because the pain is unbearable. That's how strongly I feel about this case.

To make things a little shorter, I thought everything was going well until one night when everything I knew about life was blown away. As I said, I worked all day, went to school at night; so one night I was still up at a little after midnight when there was a knock at the door. I was told on my door step that my Mother was dead and had shot herself earlier that day. I immediately fell into hysterics, my boyfriend at the time was called to come be with me, but all I remember is sobbing like that for days and being unable to think or do anything for myself. Sorry, I guess I didn't need to get that personal, but I am now an advocate for preventing suicide and always stress to the few groups I talk to just how painful it is for those left behind. I'm more calm now and will try to keep this as unemotional and factual as possible.

My mother did not tie herself in knots, or any of the long ABSURD list of things Rebecca is supposed to have done. She slashed her wrists, and when that didn't work quick enough she shot herself. SHE WANTED IT TO END QUICKLY!! I am aware that some people plan out their suicides in advance and have their plan ready. That is very rare. But I can assure you that not a da** one of them who did went to the trouble of planning something as elaborate or bizarre as Rebecca. Now for my true shame...a few months after the suicide when I was just getting back together, someone thought it necessary to mail me her suicide letter and autopsy out of the blue with no warning. The letter was caked in dried blood and blamed ME...she had happened to go off her meds and was upset that I didn't respond to a trivial remark in an email she had sent that I had no idea would have ever even bothered her. Something else in her life had happened that day that didn't involve me, but that is what set her off. I can't tell you how badly I lost it. There are no words...all I saw was a blood soaked letter blaming me and an impersonal autopsy that had drawings on it of where the bullet entered - I was unable to read it by that point. I was hysterical, blaming myself for my Mother's desk and I ran to the kitchen, picked up the biggest butcher knife I could find and slashed both wrists. As it happens my door was unlocked and my wailing and sobbing had alerted a neighbor who came to check on me. He acted quickly, called an ambulance, and my life was saved. I received wonderful care in during recovery in the hospital that has led to me never trying that again and growing enough from the experience to try to advocate for suicide prevention and removing the stigma from mental illness.

It is only because of my angel of a neighbor that I am alive and there are no words to express my gratitude to him and the sorrow and shame I will always feel towards my loved ones for my actions. But I have shared this with you with you in such emotional detail for one reason: I PERSONALLY KNOW WHAT IT IS LIKE TO BLAME YOURSELF FOR SOMEONE'S DEATH AND TRY TO COMMIT SUICIDE OVER IT!! I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT HAVING THE PRESENCE OF MIND TO RUN AROUND AND GATHER ROPE, TAPE, PAINT WEIRD PHRASES ON THE WALL AND ALL THE OTHER THINGS REBECCA IS CLAIMED TO HAVE DONE....WITHOUT LEAVING ANY EVIDENCE!!! WHEN YOU ARE IN THAT STATE OF EMOTIONAL DISTRESS THAT YOU ARE READY TO END YOUR LIFE YOU GRAB THE CLOSEST THING YOU CAN FIND AND JUST TRY TO GET IT OVER WITH AS FAST AS YOU CAN BECAUSE YOU CAN'T STAND TO BE ON EARTH ONE MINUTE LONGER!!!

I apologize if that came off like a crazy woman ranting, I assure you I am very sane and received years of mental care after my suicide attempt a decade ago, but I am very passionate about this subject. I know some people will argue that no two suicides are the same, everyone is wired differently mentally, etc. Let me add that I spent many years in suicide survivors group therapy sessions and NEVER heard anything as ABSURD as the crap that has been put out about this case, much less the physical evidence involved. And how does someone who is basically bound at the feet and wrist even get onto a ledge, much less well enough to leave a nice neat set of footprints that can somehow be clearly identified as hers. I would struggle if I were trying to climb on a ledge just to reach up to clean a spider web, so how does a completely bound woman accomplish this mission??? She was so distressed that she wanted to end her life, but she made sure to make a nice set of footprints on a ledge she somehow climbed up on. RIGHT!!

I apologize for the length of this post, and the deep emotions that overcame me at times and spilled over into my writing. However, I believe even those facts strengthen the point that a suicidal person or a person feeling guilty over potentially causing someone's death (or in this ridiculously obvious case of something the EXACT OPPOSITE of a suicide) would not behave in the manner in which we are absurdly expected to believe. And this is a little off from the topic of my post, but the face that Asian bondage *advertiser censored* had recently been searched online and that afterwards the same black paint that was used in the message on the wall was on her nipples and AS's boot (or pants...not sure exactly, but I definitely read that somewhere) gives it an especially eerie twist. Thank you for letting me get all of this off my chest...it has been bothering me since the case first broke years ago.

Thank you so much for sharing your personal stories. I admire you for your courage in the face of so much trauma.

You have managed to express this in an eloquent, reasonable, perfectly "sane" way -- something I'm sure if I had encountered a similar situation to yours I would not be able to accomplish. Much love to you. Stay strong. Always.

I agree with you that no way no how did Rebecca commit suicide in such a detailed, elaborate, sequential manner and to have us believe she concocted this complex plan in less than two hours after hearing Jonah's "suicide trigger" voicemail is beyond ludicrous. Please. Give the people some credit, SDSO and ridiculous, egotistical Sheriff Gore and ME Lucas.

Bless you both IQuestion and Wishingtree- although your tragedies are different they are equally painful and personal. I feel honored to be in a place where you both feel comfortable to share your experiences. Thank you for that... words alone could never express what that means to me.

I have been touched by suicide more times then I care to count but two times by very close, intimate loved ones. I am certain that is why this case stands out to me , among the many.

I won't go in to the details right now but suffice it to say my personal experiences are what scream out to me that Rebecca's was NOT THAT- she did not commit suicide and I am confident that if this case is allowed to move forward- this will be proven.

I want the truth for Rebecca's family, not to mention the fact that there is a murderer/murderers on the loose. One of them, IMO, is very dangerous and a loose cannon- the others IMO again, were swept up in her madness and pain.

Thank you again and god bless and god speed for your happiness and healing moving forward. I have no doubt that is what your mom (WT) and your child (IQ) would want for you~ Frigga

Thank you very much for your kind words *Lash*. They do make a difference. :)

Thank you so much bourne for both your kindness and understanding, and ability to get my point about the ridiculousness of the suggestion that Rebecca committed suicide. Anyone in law enforcement or for that matter, anyone with common sense should know that anyone despondent enough to take their own life is not going to go to insane extremes which in this case are IMO completely impossible to do anyway! I can attest that in the pain of the moment of hearing something as upsetting as the alleged voicemail, if one became suicidal over it they would have had a reaction similar to mine. I just want to add that I hope I didn't hijack this thread with my person traumas. I just wanted to give a first hand account of what it is like to be in a similar situation, because it is just too painful to put into words and and since most people haven't experienced something like this, they can't fathom the emotions that come into play. Thank you again for your kind words and for getting the point of what I was trying to get across pertaining to the case. :)

Frigga, bless you for all you have been through and being kind enough to respond to someone else in a similar situation. My heart truly goes out to you for having to experience such a tragedy more than once in your life. I don't know many people who could live through that. I too feel honored to be in a place that has been so accepting and supportive...as you said there are no words to express what that means to me also. It's an unimaginable, soul crushing thing to go through, and fortunately most people do no experience this in their lives, but unfortunately it sometimes leaves some people to be unable to understand the emotions and the way your body and mind respond while living such a nightmare. I wouldn't wish that anguish on anyone. That is why like you and many others who have reached out felt the need to speak out in the way I did. Honestly in the moment I had just had enough of these ridiculous suicide theories and all the emotion I have built up about this case just exploded out. I hope in that process I was able to help some others understand the human aspect of people who have been in similar situations. I hoped the absurdity that Rebecca or anyone in that state would not be capable of such an elaborate (and as I've said before) impossible feat without any evidence to suggest that so many insane and mostly physically impossible things would come together so neatly; and have anyone consider this anything other than a homicide. How could any logical minded person faced with the two scenarios would ever even think that this might be a suicide. But once again, I'm letting my emotions in and writing too much.

God bless you for the strength and kindness you gave me by sharing your own tragic experiences with me and with IQuestion. I wish only the very best for you.

I also want to thank all of you for sharing, Frigga, wishingtree, IQuestion....the posts are especially poignant.

And a big welcome to this forum wishingtree!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken