Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM ~ @Tricia: I have this question as well for Mr. Greer.

MsFacetious: I agree she was hogtied before she was killed, but the tie would've had to remain in place after death in order for her knees to fix in the bent position.

The hogtie thing is just all kinds of weird and disturbing and unthinkable and did I mention disturbing? It seems to me it might've been done as part of the sexual assault or simply to further humiliate her. Or I suppose it's possible she was escaping from the tape placed on her legs and/or the wrist or ankle ropes and so he added the hogtie.

I swear I've been losing more sleep than usual since the hogtie thing arose. Just beyond comprehension. Heinous.

Hogtie and steak knife handle....

CLICK HERE for the latest interview with Keith Greer

Thank you, Tricia! (And Mr. Greer!)

(Very) rough notes from Tricia's interview w/Mr. Greer.

Video depositions today:

Marcia Allison, 2 doors down from Spreckels, who heard the screams for help on the night RZ was murdered. "Down to earth, straight shootin kind a gal," according to Greer.

Mr. Berger (sp?), RZ boyfriend in 2004-2005, licensed acupuncturist, calm, centered. Very complimentary of RZ, did discuss the tumultuous relationship with Nalepa.

Dr. Peterson (!!!) who treated Max after his fall. It wasn't until the 14th that the really bad news came out about Max's prognosis (after RZ's murder).

Tomorrow: Detective Swede (sp?) for the defense. Monday is Adam.

Everybody with the SDSO, to the person, is sticking with the party line (suicide). Greer says some of them, even though they were saying it, didn't seem to believe it. Plaintiffs deposed 20 to 30 SDSO'ers.

Re: Wecht testimony. The deep bruise in RZ's back is inconsistent with the hanging, could've been from a knee. :mad:

Questions from us:

RZ throat specimen. Greer says it's correct that the specimen was not included with the other organs. He said it seems odd - another one of the mysteries of this case.

Balcony door, was it shut? It was open, per Greer. At least one door (left side facing the balcony) was open.

Adam masturbating to *advertiser censored* on iPhone. Did he make the admittance because he was worried about DNA? Greer says that's speculation, but reasonable speculation.

The relevance of the plastic bag. RZ's DNA is found on inside of bag but not outside. Paint on outside. It was found laying on top of the paint tube. If anyone has any ideas, Greer would like to hear them.

The red dog bone: wasn't tested, wasn't taken. Wecht said in his earlier depo that it could've been the type of weapon to make the blows on RZ's head.

Squiggles on door: door was swabbed for DNA, then fingerprinted afterwards, which created the squiggles, per Greer.

AS insurance policy: Greer says only that it doesn't cover murder. Would cover attorney fees, but not damages.

Greer wants to clarify that his "pro bono" status is about the net result, not the intent. AS has no money. Even if Zahaus prevail, they might be able to garnish $12K - $15K a year. Says it would take 3-4 years just to pay off the experts. There's no money at the end of the rainbow. This case is just the right thing to do.

Jonah is out of this game (I think that's what Greer said). And if Adam wanted to retire tomorrow, there would be nothing anyone could do about it.

Zahau account: it's growing slowly. Doug (Mary's husband) has sold his truck, Mary got a loan to get Wecht out to San Diego. Everyone's tapped out. If 10,000 people could give $5, it would lighten the Zahaus load. The Zahaus are very appreciative of everyone's support because they don't feel alone and isolated. Currently they're at $6,000 of a $50,000 goal.

Most families would've given up, but the Zahaus have not. Mr. Greer is very impressed with them.

Imp, thank you for posting your notes. Much appreciated!

I have been away from this case for a long time, so forgive me if this has been mentioned before. What if Rebecca was placed in the shower after she was attacked/killed, that would remove dna.

I have been away from this case for a long time, so forgive me if this has been mentioned before. What if Rebecca was placed in the shower after she was attacked/killed, that would remove dna.

I've thought about that possibility as well. I think most of us have assumed she took a shower before the violence began, but there's certainly the possibility the killer put her in there to wash away DNA.

In the page of calculations the expert submitted to the court there was a mistake. The defence put his calculations on the big screen. The defence identified a mistake. He had written a 2 instead of a 7...but it was in a calculation of a six figure number ( to calculate the range of force / velocity / friction - lowest to highest range ) eg he should have used wrote 327658.16... but wrote 322648.16, mistakenly changing a 7 to a 2...this calculation was then used going forward to evaluate all the aspects... so they were all wrong from that point forward ( just in the lowest range...if that makes sense)
In one instance it seemed that there would have been several HUNDRED pounds of PSI ( pressure for want of a better word) differencial in the right calculations and those he has calculated ( on the exertion of the pull on the rope on RZs neck). It was devastating as the attorney highlighted all the errors in the calculations along the working out. I was cringing in my seat.

[SNIP]

I’ve looked at the calculations, and the only good thing to come out of this is that in my interpretation of the figures...the error actually makes the fact that there was no spinal damage EVEN LESS LIKELY, and decapitation ( or partial decapitation) MORE likely...

From what I can figure out, the entry point range ( so the lower of the two levels showing the range of force on RZs neck for example) would actually be higher than he had estimated with the incorrect calculations.

I hope that makes sense? It’s very hard to explain... the workings appear in a court document...I can load the ROA title and maybe cynic can post it as I am having trouble posting add ins or images ( sorry guys)

The figures ‘went over’ an awful lot of people’s heads in my opinion...many were glazed over, it was very complicated to follow, what wasn’t though...was the fact there were mistakes, and the defence REALLY highlighted these to the best of their ability... and it was painful to watch. You could see how he missed this one number, it was an understandable mistake, but an inexcusable one from an expert.
Hey Lezah,
Once again, thank you very much for bringing us these glimpses from the courtroom. There’s nothing like being there.

The error was unfortunate and the expert paid the price. This sort of thing doesn’t mean much to me as it’s called being human but it may irreparably damage his credibility with some jurors.
Highly trained, brilliant people make mistakes, we all do. When people go in for knee surgery, it’s routine practice in hospitals I’m familiar with to label the knee with a marker, “This knee.” Why? Because surgery had been performed on the wrong knee often enough that it was decided to adopt the practice of labeling to eliminate the error. These are doctors making the mistake.

The error here is a simple error of transposition. What would be troubling to me would be an error in procedure – using the wrong formulas for example – something that would indicate he may not know what he’s doing.

Lezah, you’re absolutely correct that the error was doing the defense a favor insofar as it reduced the force acting on Rebecca. With the correct amount in place it gives a low-end radial pressure of 1081.3 pounds per square inch, approximately 80 PSI higher than the incorrect number.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Kent.jpg
    Kent.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 178
Plastic bag had her DNA INSIDE but not OUTSIDE?
What kind of plastic bag are we talking about? Grocery or garbage?
What kind of DNA was found inside? Saliva?
Was this put over her head at some point to inhibit breathing as well?

Not sure that those count as "ideas" but maybe Mr. Greer can do something with them.
I like this lawyer, he reminds me of my boss who's always saying "I want input from EVERYONE. You never know who will end up having an idea that pieces the whole case together."

Update from Mary Zahau, posted on the fundraiser site about an hour ago:

Day #3 of week #3 trial was all deposition videos. It was a long day. We had Marsha Alison, neighbor, who heard woman scream for help the night Rebecca was murdered and Dr Peterson’s deposition that Max’s condition was not declared worse until the July 14th 2011. So the theory that Rebecca committed suicide on the 13th because Max condition worsened per Jonah’s phone call is a lie. The same phone call that the San Diego Sheriffs department chose not to download and analyze from Rebecca’s cell phone.

The defendant’s side also played deposition tape of Rebecca’s boyfriend from 2004/2005. He did confirm that Rebecca did not have signs of depression or any signs of suicidal behavior back then. They have witnesses next week lined to testify that Rebecca was impulsive and defame her character so they can justify her murder. My sister was not perfect and neither are we as a family. That does not mean my sister deserved to be gagged, bound, stripped naked, and strangled then display her to the world like a piece of garbage.

Above all San Diego Sheriffs department chose to look the other way and they denied her due process as a human being.

Tomorrow the defendant calls their first witness, Detective Tsuida, the lead investigator on Rebecca’s case. She came to my house and lied to my face that Rebecca had no injuries. She and the medical examiner, Lucas kept telling me “zero marks”. 6 years later, I find out that Rebecca not only had unexplained injuries to her right side of rib cage and on one of her shoulder but sexually assaulted with a knife handle.

Please pray with me that tomorrow, God will continue to take us one step closer to justice.

The red dog bone: wasn't tested, wasn't taken. Wecht said in his earlier depo that it could've been the type of weapon to make the blows on RZ's head.

I am REALLY, REALLY DISAPPOINTED to hear that the red dog bone was not brought up during Wecht's court testimony in front of the jury, as an object that could potentially have been consistent with the blows to RZs head. If that were said out loud in front of the jury, it would have really brought it home when they later cross examine SDSO re: neglected evidence... :-/

Dr. Wecht testified Rebecca may have been bludgeoned by a hard possibly rounded object. Has Greer mentioned the red dog bone (below) found in the LE photos? Possibly used as the hard rounded object Rebecca was bludgeoned with? IIRC, the red dog bone was one of those items NOT collected or taken into evidence. Does anyone else recall this? The dog bone is not listed in SW 41227.

BBM-
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-zahau-pathologist-20180312-story.html

SW 41227 -http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/kfmb/misc/warrant_41227.pdf

My dog had that same red bone. It’s made of rubber that’s not as hard as a typical KONG brand dog toy. The inside/underside is hollow (ribbed with thin pieces of rubber). It could not have been used to bludgeon anyone, IMO.

Your point that LE should have collected it still stands, though.

Great talk w Mr. Greer. Gotta respect what he’s doing for sure. Amazing contribution of time and money. Wow

Hi everyone. SD local here. From the moment this case hit the news, I said no way did she kill herself. A woman might commit suicide by hanging, but binding her wrists and ankles first? Hogwash.

Sometime shortly after the murder, I received a beautiful leather wrap bracelet as a gift. It was difficult to get adjusted correctly. When I finally succeeded, Mr. Izzy--aware of my interest in the case--said to me, "Now do that behind your back and blindfolded."

Occam's Razor just doesn't support suicide in this case, never has, never will.

So I went off on a tangent but my point is, I am so glad that the absurdities of deeming this case a suicide are finally being revealed publicly in an official setting, and thanks to all you sleuthers for the knowledge and facts you share here that enable people like me to keep current.

I would attend the trial myself if I could without my income being sorely affected.

Please carry on, everyone. Rebecca deserves justice. And thank you!

Plastic bag had her DNA INSIDE but not OUTSIDE?
What kind of plastic bag are we talking about? Grocery or garbage?
What kind of DNA was found inside? Saliva?
Was this put over her head at some point to inhibit breathing as well?

Not sure that those count as "ideas" but maybe Mr. Greer can do something with them.
I like this lawyer, he reminds me of my boss who's always saying "I want input from EVERYONE. You never know who will end up having an idea that pieces the whole case together."

Yeah, that account about the plastic bag made me go er, what, say again?

Yeah, that account about the plastic bag made me go er, what, say again?

... I think she was rendered unconcious by suffocation.. her dna was found inside the bag...Saliva / condensation..?...look at the location of the bag in conjunction with the tipped up chair. Her head would strike the carpeted floor ( blunt force) on the right side if she fell while taped / restricted in the chair.

Thank you, Tricia! (And Mr. Greer!)

(Very) rough notes from Tricia's interview w/Mr. Greer.

Video depositions today:

Marcia Allison, 2 doors down from Spreckels, who heard the screams for help on the night RZ was murdered. "Down to earth, straight shootin kind a gal," according to Greer.

Mr. Berger (sp?), RZ boyfriend in 2004-2005, licensed acupuncturist, calm, centered. Very complimentary of RZ, did discuss the tumultuous relationship with Nalepa.

Dr. Peterson (!!!) who treated Max after his fall. It wasn't until the 14th that the really bad news came out about Max's prognosis (after RZ's murder).

Tomorrow: Detective Swede (sp?) for the defense. Monday is Adam.

Everybody with the SDSO, to the person, is sticking with the party line (suicide). Greer says some of them, even though they were saying it, didn't seem to believe it. Plaintiffs deposed 20 to 30 SDSO'ers.

Re: Wecht testimony. The deep bruise in RZ's back is inconsistent with the hanging, could've been from a knee. :mad:

Questions from us:

RZ throat specimen. Greer says it's correct that the specimen was not included with the other organs. He said it seems odd - another one of the mysteries of this case.

Balcony door, was it shut? It was open, per Greer. At least one door (left side facing the balcony) was open.

Adam masturbating to *advertiser censored* on iPhone. Did he make the admittance because he was worried about DNA? Greer says that's speculation, but reasonable speculation.

The relevance of the plastic bag. RZ's DNA is found on inside of bag but not outside. Paint on outside. It was found laying on top of the paint tube. If anyone has any ideas, Greer would like to hear them.

Squiggles on door: door was swabbed for DNA, then fingerprinted afterwards, which created the squiggles, per Greer.

AS insurance policy: Greer says only that it doesn't cover murder. Would cover attorney fees, but not damages.

Greer wants to clarify that his "pro bono" status is about the net result, not the intent. AS has no money. Even if Zahaus prevail, they might be able to garnish $12K - $15K a year. Says it would take 3-4 years just to pay off the experts. There's no money at the end of the rainbow. This case is just the right thing to do.

Jonah is out of this game (I think that's what Greer said). And if Adam wanted to retire tomorrow, there would be nothing anyone could do about it.

Zahau account: it's growing slowly. Doug (Mary's husband) has sold his truck, Mary got a loan to get Wecht out to San Diego. Everyone's tapped out. If 10,000 people could give $5, it would lighten the Zahaus load. The Zahaus are very appreciative of everyone's support because they don't feel alone and isolated. Currently they're at $6,000 of a $50,000 goal.

Most families would've given up, but the Zahaus have not. Mr. Greer is very impressed with them.

Thanks so much for this, and for a great interview Tricia🌸🌸🌸

I will be in court on Monday to hear AS testify and post my update here for you ( as long as I can get in!)

Hey Lezah,
Once again, thank you very much for bringing us these glimpses from the courtroom. There’s nothing like being there.

The error was unfortunate and the expert paid the price. This sort of thing doesn’t mean much to me as it’s called being human but it may irreparably damage his credibility with some jurors.
Highly trained, brilliant people make mistakes, we all do. When people go in for knee surgery, it’s routine practice in hospitals I’m familiar with to label the knee with a marker, “This knee.” Why? Because surgery had been performed on the wrong knee often enough that it was decided to adopt the practice of labeling to eliminate the error. These are doctors making the mistake.

The error here is a simple error of transposition. What would be troubling to me would be an error in procedure – using the wrong formulas for example – something that would indicate he may not know what he’s doing.

Lezah, you’re absolutely correct that the error was doing the defense a favor insofar as it reduced the force acting on Rebecca. With the correct amount in place it gives a low-end radial pressure of 1081.3 pounds per square inch, approximately 80 PSI higher than the incorrect number.

attachment.php
Cynic, you’re a superstar! That’s exactly what the defence highlighted. Thanks so much for finding and sharing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member