Found Alive WV - Four people missing at abandoned coal mine, Clear Creek, Raleigh County, 9 Dec 2018 *Arrests*

Authorities rescue three trapped in a West Virginia coal mine since Saturday
Three people who were trapped in an abandoned coal mine in West Virginia since Saturday have been found, according to the West Virginia Office of Miners' Health Safety and Training.

After getting all three people out of the mine safely, they were brought to their family and friends. After the reunion they were taken to the hospital to be checked out.

"It's a Christmas blessing, that's all there is to it," West Virginia Governor Jim Justice told reporters.
upload_2018-12-13_4-3-54.jpeg

Glad that they are okay. They did go in the mine looking for copper wires.

Officials have said that the group went into the cave in search of copper wire -- a lucrative commodity in a financially-depressed region of the state.

No coal has been extracted from the mine for two years, officials said.

The rescue teams were unable to locate the three people on Monday and expanded their search on Tuesday, progressing more than 4,000 ft. into the mine before locating the missing three on Wednesday evening, officials said.

There is a pending criminal investigation into the group's activities upon entering the mine, officials said. Authorities rescue 3 trapped in a West Virginia coal mine since Saturday

So they were able to go that far into the mine to look for copper wire - but were unable to come back out they went in?
I would too scared to even step into an abandoned mine. And once they found it - they were just going to drag it out?
What prevented them from doing that?

From local news reports, they said that the oxygen levels were too low and that there was flooding. They put in huge exhaust fans and got some water out. Maybe the others did not want to go through the water?? As for the wiring, I don't know how that works to get it out. I don't understand why the older man left the other 3 behind and walked out himself. He was quite surprised that SAR and EMS were all there.

Once fully recovered from their experience, perhaps they could each do some community service, or join their local fire/rescue squads :) I'm thrilled they all made it out ok!
I'm glad they are OK, but I hope that criminal charges are brought to discourage others in the area from doing this. They put a lot of people's lives at risk for what, to steal a few hundred bucks worth of copper?

Also very glad they are all ok. Phew. What relief for the families and friends who love these folks.

Such gratitude for all those who responded and helped. So glad that so many people still choose to be trained in responding to tragedies and accidents.

Glad they were rescued, now charge them with trespassing, and make sure that there is jail time, plus 2000 hours of community service, 200 hours a year for 10 years, they can help search and rescue efforts.

Maybe it is time to not give people a pass on this.

I'm glad they are OK, but I hope that criminal charges are brought to discourage others in the area from doing this. They put a lot of people's lives at risk for what, to steal a few hundred bucks worth of copper?
I do hope that, as well, even though I didn't say it ;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back