WV WV - Grace Smith 35, car found, keys on hood, belongings inside, Gallipolis Ferry, 23 Feb 2022 *Reward*

@Psychic Sleuth thanks for the update.
On Wednesday, the West Virginia State Police assisted law enforcement personnel from the sheriff’s office with a helicopter search of the TNT area, as well as areas in southern Mason County, including Gallipolis Ferry, Apple Grove, Ashton and Glenwood, Sheriff Miller said.
LE likely has tips or information that Grace could be in one of these other areas.

To me, keys on the hood says that the person who left the car wanted to make sure it could be driven by anyone who found it. As others have said it could mean a self-harm scenario where she wanted to make sure the police or family could retrieve the car, but it could also mean that she or another person wanted the car to be easily “stolen” and taken to a new area to misdirect anyone who is trying to locate her.

@RememberingRyan , good comment. It's possible Grace, or whoever was driving the car, would want someone to take the car. We just don't have enough information about the car to be sure of anything. There's not many reasons why a set of car keys would be sitting on top of the hood. If there was a physical struggle at the car, then it seem unlikely her keys would end up there.

If the car, and the keys, have only Grace's fingerprints on them, then we could logically assume she drove there and left the keys on the hood. LE hasn't released that information yet, so we just don't know.

The self-harm possibility is what prompted the question whether Grace had any known MH issues.

WCHS tv newscast reporting groceries were found in her vehicle, frozen items that were let to go bad. Also, the car was located or moved to an area of where her former partner or husband lived.

My opinions.

WCHS tv newscast reporting groceries were found in her vehicle, frozen items that were let to go bad. Also, the car was located or moved to an area of where her former partner or husband lived.

My opinions.

Do you have a link? I'd love to read it.

Groceries and frozen items definitely make it sound like this was not self-harm.

Family of missing Mason County woman organizes search, offers $5K reward for finding her | WCHS (wchstv.com)
Her car was located in the public hunting area in a parking lot. All of her personal effects were in the vehicle except for her cell phone. Family members said her car has been moved now to the nearby driveway of the home, where her estranged husband was staying. The keys were reportedly on the hood.

I'm not quite understanding this. Her car has been moved now to the nearby driveway of the home where her estranged husband was staying? Why was her car moved there? Are we not concerned about the estranged husband living near where her car was found?

There's also a comment about an upcoming rehab appointment, although it doesn't specify for what.

Family of missing Mason County woman organizes search, offers $5K reward for finding her

To Note:
•McClintic public hunting area in Mason County, is where Smith's car was found.
•car was located in the public hunting area in a parking lot.
•there’s two large ponds where the vehicle was found parked.
•her car has been moved now to the nearby driveway of the home, where her estranged husband was staying.
•her last contact with her family was Feb. 23. Relatives said she had a rehab appointment coming that she was not enthusiastic about.

Searches for missing Mason County woman so far unsuccessful

To Note:
•her car was found in a rural area near Point Pleasant.
•there have been searches in the McClintic Wildlife Management Area, public hunting area
•“I found a bag of groceries that was obviously expired, cold and frozen groceries,” Jones explained.
•her car was actually found at McClintic but then moved to a nearby house where Smith’s estranged husband was staying.
•deputies have eliminated some possibilities

Community continues search for missing Mason County woman

Search parties combed through the TNT area not far from the Mason County Fair Grounds for any sign of 35-year-old Grace Smith of Gallipolis Ferry. They’re looking for overturned trees, piles of dirt or any sign newly disturbed areas.

The family is offering a $5,000 reward for her location. Mason County Sheriff Corey Miller says there are no new leads or updates as of right now.

So her car was in the McClintic Wildlife Management Area? Does anyone know where exactly? I mean that’s a pretty big place. Plus during that time it got extremely cold of the night. They are assuming she is in the wooded areas then I doubt a great distance had been traveled before exposure set in.

I'm not quite understanding this. Her car has been moved now to the nearby driveway of the home where her estranged husband was staying? Why was her car moved there? Are we not concerned about the estranged husband living near where her car was found?
I'm not understanding this either. Grace's car was towed to where her estranged husband was living? IMO that makes no logical sense.

Searches for missing Mason County woman so far unsuccessful | WCHS (wchstv.com)

I read this MSM post again but I must be missing something here. This is highly unusual.

[..]
Family searched Smith’s car and found some things that didn’t make sense to leave in a vehicle. “I found a bag of groceries that was obviously expired, cold and frozen groceries,” Jones explained. “All of her belongings, everything is in that car. She wouldn’t have left it.” The car was actually found at McClintic but then moved to a nearby house where Smith’s estranged husband was staying. The keys were on the car hood.
[...]

Grace's car is physical evidence in her disappearance. Why would LE move it to "where her estranged husband was living" and for what purpose? Why wouldn't LE impound the vehicle in a secure location for more detailed analysis if it had to be moved? Also, why would LE allow family members to search Grace's car? IMO, by allowing family members open access to Grace's car any potential evidence in that car is now contaminated.

Do we know anything about the current relationship between Grace and her estranged husband?

Relatives said she had a rehab appointment coming that she was not enthusiastic about.
The new statement about Grace having a rehab appointment of some kind is interesting to note. There are no details provided so we don't know if was for physical, mental, or substance abuse issues, but apparently she was reluctant to go to this appointment.

So her car was in the McClintic Wildlife Management Area? Does anyone know where exactly? I mean that’s a pretty big place.

Agreed; it appears the area covers A LOT of ground.

Based on info provided in msm, this is about as specific as I’ve come across (so far):
•in a rural area near Point Pleasant
McClintic public hunting area in Mason County in the public hunting parking lot.

Agreed; it appears the area covers A LOT of ground.

Based on info provided in msm, this is about as specific as I’ve come across (so far):
•in a rural area near Point Pleasant
McClintic public hunting area in Mason County in the public hunting parking lot.

This is the only place where I see two large ponds (circled in red).

Attachments

• McClintic Wildlife Management .jpg
    McClintic Wildlife Management .jpg
    129 KB · Views: 31
I would like to know more about the relationship between Grace and her estranged husband.

MSM says Grace's car "was actually found at McClintic but then moved to a nearby house where Smith’s estranged husband was staying" but no reason was given. This still seems very strange. The only reason I can think of for the car to be moved is because Grace is listed as a missing person at this point. IMO if this were a homicide case, then her car would not be moved anywhere except to a secure LE facility. MOO.

I do not know how far this house is from where her car was found, but guessing it's fairly close based on the wording from MSM.

For what it's worth, my first thought on the keys being on the hood was she got out of her car, took her keys with her out of habit, laid her keys on the hood to look at a map or something spread out on the hood and something happened.
It is odd she had groceries in the car. There should be cctv of most grocery stores in the area.
A map of all locations would be nice if anyone knows how.....I am not good with maps.
I find it odd her car was found close to her estranged husband's place of residence.......not a good sign to me! JMO
Hope she is located soon.

Attachments

• AB9ADC35-A723-4166-B4D0-BFCF9ACEB4C4.jpeg
    AB9ADC35-A723-4166-B4D0-BFCF9ACEB4C4.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics