WV WV - Gretchen Fleming, 27, Vienna, Dec 2022 *POI in 2023*

Parkersburg Police looking for missing woman | The first airing of when Gretchen Fleming had gone missing on Dec. 12.

Police execute multiple search warrants in search for missing woman | On Dec. 15, multiple search warrants were executed across Parkersburg and the rest of the Wood County area in search of Gretchen. One of the areas being of the person of interest’s residence.

Vienna Baptist Church holds vigil with Gretchen Fleming’s family | On the same day, a vigil was put together for Gretchen’s family at the Vienna Baptist Church. Gretchen’s uncle, Phillip talks a lot about the Gretchen and what she truly means to the family.

Chief Board provides update on search for Gretchen Fleming | On Dec. 16, Parkersburg police chief Matt Board sat with WTAP to discuss the searches the took place and the timeline of Gretchen’s disappearance. Board also goes into detail on the community’s support and everything the Parkersburg police department is doing to find Gretchen.

Parkersburg police are asking for volunteers for a search party on Feb 4th. They have not disclosed where the search will be conducted. The volunteers are meeting by the flood wall. The bar Gretchen and the POI left is close to the Ohio River so I don’t know if they’re going to search along the bank of the river. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen that area from a boat so I don’t know what the area is like. This information from the post makes me wonder if they’ll be searching the POI sister’s property outside the city limits since it says “A large-scale search effort will take place on Saturday, February 4th. Participation will involve strenuous work in rugged, wooded terrain”

This is the first search they’ve conducted for her so I’m wondering if cell phone records or other evidence has narrowed down a location.

News report said the search area will be disclosed upon arrival and signup at the meeting point.

Thank you for the link, ColMustard. I'm so pleased to hear this:

The family says that the work by the police hasn’t slowed down at all to find Gretchen.

“Yeah, they’ve been tremendous,” says Fleming. “I mean they’re working around the clock on this. A lot of people don’t think that because there’s no updates that they’re not working on this. They’re working on this 24-7. In fact, they’re in communication with all of us, getting us updates and keeping us informed.”

Detective James Zimmerman told Eyewitness News investigators are not revealing where the search will take place until volunteers meet up on Saturday.

Zimmerman is the lead investigator on the case. He's been searching for Fleming since her disappearance in December and is now asking for volunteers to help.

"[Mountain Area Rescue Group] will have 20 to 25 team leaders. Each volunteer will be placed in a group with a leader and they will assist them with the search," Zimmerman explained.

Comments on social media show concern about the time taken to conduct a community search. Zimmerman said he understands the concerns and the area of interest is too large for police to search themselves.

"As far as the public goes, I understand they have questions as to why we were waiting this long to do a community search," Zimmerman said. "However, we have been conducting searches from the onset of the investigation."

FEB 2, 2023
We’ve received tips from the outset of the investigation that lead us to believe this area needs searched,” said Det. J.M. Zimmerman of the Parkersburg Police Department. “I know the community is looking for ways to help, and one way they can do that is by volunteering with the search.”

FEB 1, 2023
Police report multiple search warrants have been executed for the person of interest’s vehicle, residence, electronic devices and secondary properties in connection with the investigation, but the warrants remain sealed in court.

FEB 2, 2023
[...]

Among the volunteers will be West Virginia resident JB, who's been following the case as administrator of the nonprofit group True Crime Replay that's dedicated to helping crime survivors and finding missing persons.

[...]

JB told Fox News Digital on Thursday that she anticipates hundreds of people to show up Saturday and "wouldn't be surprised" if there are over 1,000 volunteers.

[...]

The suburban town of Parkersburg is a "typical Ohio River town," JB said. The topography is spacious, rural and flat with some mountains.

"It's a large geographical area, so police must have information that narrows it down," JB said.

[...]

"We have received several questions about bringing, k9's, horses, and 4-wheelers/side by sides. At this time we only need bodies to assist with the search. We appreciate everyone's responses and willingness to assist," Parkersburg police wrote on Facebook.

"Participation will involve strenuous work in rugged, wooded terrain and possibly cold and wet weather," police said on Facebook.

[...]

FEB 2, 2023
[...]

With a volunteer search party being put together with the help of Parkersburg police and the Mountaineer Area Rescue Group, the Flemings are taking time to remember Gretchen.

From her love of music to her eclectic fashion sense.

“She was very unique,” says David. “She loved her fashion, and she was a thrifty-fashion girl. So, she would put together these outfits and things that you would think somebody would spend a bunch of money on and she was just so unique and artful enough that she always had a unique style. And just very vibrant.”

The Flemings also bring up Gretchen’s interesting way of walking.

Gretchen’s uncle, Phillip Fleming says, “Well, when she was a child, we thought it was just when she was a child, but she would always walk around on her tippy-toes all the time. And we started naming her ‘Twinkle Toes’ back in the day. But then, just over Thanksgiving, I was watching her walk through the living room at my parents’ house and there she was on her tiptoes again at age 27. So, we were kind of laughing that particular day about that.”

[...]

Looks like they are limiting the search party to 300 people, to avoid overwhelming the coordinators. They also do not want searchers bringing UTVs, horses, or K9s.

They are also mum on the search area except to registered searchers.

It's going to be cold in the morning, a low of 13°, then sunny and 41°. Wasn't dark until after 5:00 today.

FEB 4, 2023
Numerous people this morning met in the parking lot off Second Street between the floodwall and Wood County Justice Center in Parkersburg. Police directed them to go to Mountwood Park and sign in.

Parkersburg Police Chief Matthew Board asked additional people not to come out to the park as volunteers have already been obtained. Officials said Friday they were preparing to accommodate a maximum of 300 people. West Virginia Search and Rescue is assisting.

FEB 4, 2023
[...]

Officials said they were prepared to accolade a maximum of 300 people, however, Gretchen’s grandma, LF, said approximately 500 people were in attendance.

“There are no adequate words to express our family's heartfelt thanks,” she wrote in a Facebook post.

“The love, prayers, and concern shown by your actions brings joy to our heart. We love our state and our wonderful community!

[...]

Police are also asking all residents in the area to review home surveillance footage for a vehicle that has been connected to Fleming's disappearance.

They believe the vehicle may have traveled through the Parkersburg area between the early morning hours of December 4 to noon on December 5.

Fleming had recently accepted a job at a nearby H&M and lived with her grandmother in a nearby home.

[...]

Really glad to see a local article! I was disappointed when all that came up for me earlier was The Sun. :confused:

Unfortunately it doesn't say whether they found anything of interest but WOW, what a turnout.

From the article:

And it wasn’t just from the Parkersburg community either.

As some of these volunteers came in from out of state.

David says, “I know my cousin flew in from Georgia to come and be with this. I’ve had coworkers from Huntington to be here. I know people from Ohio that have drove. And the messages that I’ve gotten, it’s – like I said – overwhelming the amount of help that everyone wants to be involved in trying to find some closure to this.”

Really glad to see a local article! I was disappointed when all that came up for me earlier was The Sun. :confused:

Unfortunately it doesn't say whether they found anything of interest but WOW, what a turnout.

From the article:

And it wasn’t just from the Parkersburg community either.

As some of these volunteers came in from out of state.

David says, “I know my cousin flew in from Georgia to come and be with this. I’ve had coworkers from Huntington to be here. I know people from Ohio that have drove. And the messages that I’ve gotten, it’s – like I said – overwhelming the amount of help that everyone wants to be involved in trying to find some closure to this.”

Wish we knew more, like why Mountwood Park and a few more details than we have.

Asking for volunteers to search seems highly unusual. In my (limited) experience its always LE telling people to stay away for various reasons that sometimes don't make any sense. I can't help but wonder if this is all a scheme to draw out suspects. IMO

Asking for volunteers to search seems highly unusual. In my (limited) experience its always LE telling people to stay away for various reasons that sometimes don't make any sense. I can't help but wonder if this is all a scheme to draw out suspects. IMO
It's not that unusual but it depends on the situation. And yes, there are a number of reasons LE doesn't want volunteers initially. It may interfere with dogs, FLIR, or they simply have enough sworn officers or their own SAR Team.

In this case, they have a large area to search, similar to Jayme's case when the sheriff requested 2,000 volunteers. (And he got them. In fact, IIRC they had to turn people away. :) ) MOO

“Police did not specify what exactly they were looking for, but officers said it was a recovery search.

"We have received numerous tips about Mountwood over the last couple of weeks," Detective James Zimmerman of the Parkersburg Police Department said.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back