Identified! WV - Human remains found on Mountain. Recent death, Welch, 19 June 2019 - Amanda Presutti

doodles1211

Reaction score
WELCH, W.Va. (AP) – A southern West Virginia sheriff’s office has recovered human remains on a mountain.

News outlets cited a statement from the McDowell County Sheriff that says deputies were called to the area near Berwind Lake on Tuesday and determined that the remains discovered were human. They were sent to the State Medical Examiner’s office in Charleston for identification.

Chief Deputy James E. Muncy Jr. told The Bluefield Daily Telegraph that the remains were from a recent death.

Several agencies are helping with the investigation and anyone with information is asked to contact the sheriff’s office.

....video at link....

Human remains discovered on West Virginia mountain

More info...

The remains were discovered in Bearwallow Hollow near Berwind Lake.

“Deputies secured the scene and began the search this (Tuesday) morning,” Chief Deputy James E. Muncy Jr. said in a press release.

“Deputies were able to determine that the skeleton remains were human, and were sent to the State Medical Examiners office in Charleston for identification,” Muncy said.

The remains were of a recent death, and not historical, Muncy said in a telephone interview Tuesday evening.

Gender could not be determined, he said.

The remains were not discovered in the lake, or beside it.

“They were out of the water, on top of a mountain near the lake,” Muncy said. “They were probably two miles out of Buchanan County.

Human remains found in McDowell County

@doodles1211, Welch is way off the beaten path. Roads are treacherous, switchback curves, drop offs with little guard rail. Unless you have family in Welch, not a place most would visit. Poorest county in state, coal mining country.
I would have no idea. I am not even sure that I have been in the state of WV, ever! Thanks for the info. Sheds some light onto the possibilities for sure. Maybe, it was someone who had become a victim of the dangers you are speaking of? Someone not experienced in avoiding them.

Human remains found in Mercer; State Police search continues

Human remains have been discovered in the southeastern area of Mercer County, officials with the West Virginia State Police Princeton detachment confirmed Monday morning.

Initial remains were discovered around 7 p.m. Thursday, according to a statement by First Sgt. J.K. Cooper, district commander of the Princeton and Welch detachments.

“As of this date a continued search of the area has resulted in more human remains located in the area by search teams,” Cooper said.

The southeastern area of Mercer County includes the Oakvale, Willowton and Elgood areas, and borders Giles County, Va.

Human remains identified; foul play suspected

If I have my links and locations correct, these remains have been id'd as Amanda Presutti and they suspect foul play. So sorry to hear this. My condolences to everyone who knew and loved her.

PRINCETON — Human remains discovered in the southeastern area of Mercer County have been identified as a missing Princeton woman, West Virginia State Police officials said Tuesday.

The remains are that of Amanda Presutti, who was reported missing by her family on June 9,

SNIP

“We suspect foul play,” Cooper said Tuesday.

There were multiple sets of remains found. Two were found in McDowell County and one in Mercer County. The remains found in Mercer County were identified as Amanda (BBM):

PRINCETON — Human remains discovered in the southeastern area of Mercer County were identified Tuesday as a woman missing from the Princeton area, West Virginia State Police officials said.

The remains are that of Amanda Presutti, who was reported missing by her family on June 9, First Sgt. J.K. Cooper, district commander of the Princeton and Welch detachments, said.

The initial remains were discovered around 7 p.m. Thursday, and a continued search of the area resulted in more remains being located, Cooper said.

The Mercer County case has not been linked to two other cases of human remains recently found in neighboring McDowell County.

“They are not related,” Sgt. A.P. Christian, with the West Virginia State Police Princeton detachment, said.

“There is no evidence to suggest these cases are related,” Chief Deputy James E. Muncy Jr. said.

‘We suspect foul play’: Human remains identified as missing Princeton woman

I'm confused now because the first post in this thread says McDowell County was investigating. Should we start a new thread now for the remains found in McDowell County?

There were multiple sets of remains found. Two were found in McDowell County and one in Mercer County. The remains found in Mercer County were identified as Amanda (BBM):

PRINCETON — Human remains discovered in the southeastern area of Mercer County were identified Tuesday as a woman missing from the Princeton area, West Virginia State Police officials said.

The remains are that of Amanda Presutti, who was reported missing by her family on June 9, First Sgt. J.K. Cooper, district commander of the Princeton and Welch detachments, said.

The initial remains were discovered around 7 p.m. Thursday, and a continued search of the area resulted in more remains being located, Cooper said.

The Mercer County case has not been linked to two other cases of human remains recently found in neighboring McDowell County.

“They are not related,” Sgt. A.P. Christian, with the West Virginia State Police Princeton detachment, said.

“There is no evidence to suggest these cases are related,” Chief Deputy James E. Muncy Jr. said.

‘We suspect foul play’: Human remains identified as missing Princeton woman

I'm confused now because the first post in this thread says McDowell County was investigating. Should we start a new thread now for the remains found in McDowell County?

Yes, "we" should but I'm still too confuddled to sort through it all. I'll be your cheerleader though if you're "coffee'ed up" enough to start a new thread. haha 2, 4, 6, 8, Gardener can do it b'c you're great! There, go get 'em.

Yes, "we" should but I'm still too confuddled to sort through it all. I'll be your cheerleader though if you're "coffee'ed up" enough to start a new thread. haha 2, 4, 6, 8, Gardener can do it b'c you're great! There, go get 'em.

Lol, thanks for the vote of confidence and cheerleading Yaya! I was going to start a new one but then I saw that @doodles1211 had started one for the remains found in Mercer County that turned out to be Amanda: WV - Human remains found in Mercer County- 24 June 2019

I think this thread needs to go back to being "unidentified" and the thread above needs to be the one identified as Amanda's UID thread. I'll alert the mods and see if they can sort this all out. I don't want to create duplicate threads...

Yeah, more confusion. Princeton, Welsh, and War. I'm not familiar with any of these areas so no, I won't be making new threads. Here's a little jump start for the mods. Hope it helps.

Good call to let the mods do it, Gardener. Some comments above may need to be moved to other threads.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 / 12:35 PM EDT / Updated: Jun 19, 2019 / 12:59 PM EDT

WELCH, W.Va. (AP) – A southern West Virginia sheriff’s office has recovered human remains on a mountain.

#

WAR — The McDowell County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a case of skeletal remains found in the War area, according to a statement released Tuesday night.

#

Remains ID'd as Amanda's -

PRINCETON — Human remains have been discovered in the southeastern area of Mercer County, officials with the West Virginia State Police Princeton detachment confirmed Monday morning.

Initial remains were discovered around 7 p.m. Thursday, according to a statement by First Sgt. J.K. Cooper, district commander of the Princeton and Welch detachments.

PRINCETON — Human remains discovered in the southeastern area of Mercer County have been identified as a missing Princeton woman, West Virginia State Police officials said Tuesday.

#

Yeah, more confusion. Princeton, Welsh, and War. I'm not familiar with any of these areas so no, I won't be making new threads. Here's a little jump start for the mods. Hope it helps.

Good call to let the mods do it, Gardener. Some comments above may need to be moved to other threads.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 / 12:35 PM EDT / Updated: Jun 19, 2019 / 12:59 PM EDT

#

WAR — The McDowell County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a case of skeletal remains found in the War area, according to a statement released Tuesday night.

#

Remains ID'd as Amanda's -

PRINCETON — Human remains have been discovered in the southeastern area of Mercer County, officials with the West Virginia State Police Princeton detachment confirmed Monday morning.

#
Wow, they have so many sets of human remains being found that I cannot keep up with who is who there! Thank goodness for @Gardener1850 !

This is a confusing thread. I would start new ones since the title says Identified--but I am too confused. As to the suggestion let the Mods separate--it has been a month so they obviously aren't going to.

But here are two articles:

"June 22, 2019. WAR — State authorities confirmed the identity Friday of a McDowell County man whose body was found June 12 in the Warriormine area, but the identity of skeletal remains found Tuesday near War has not yet been determined.

The State Medical Examiner’s Office confirmed Friday that body found June 12 was that of Billy Joe Baker, 46, of War, who had been missing since May 31, Chief Deputy James E. Muncy Jr. of the McDowell County Sheriff’s Office said. The body was found by a man cutting grass in a rural area. Muncy said an investigation into Baker’s death was continuing, and the cause of death had not been determined.

Local law enforcement is also investigating skeletal remains which were found Tuesday evening at Bearwallow Hollow near Berwind Lake, which is in the War area. Deputies were able to determine that the skeleton remains were human, Muncy said. They were sent to the State Medical Examiners office in Charleston for identification."

Authorities ID one set of remains found in McDowell, still investigating other

"July 26, 2019. WELCH — The FBI is now assisting the McDowell County Sheriff’s Department with its investigation into the discovery of human remains that were found in June near Berwind Lake.

“We did invite the FBI to come down and they located more stuff,” McDowell County Chief Deputy James E. Muncy Jr., said Friday. “We appreciate them coming and aiding.” According to Muncy, the FBI is still aiding in the investigation.

As for the identity of the skeletal remains, Muncy said, “We’re still waiting on the medical examiner.” After their discovery, the remains were sent to the Medical Examiner’s Office in Charleston West Virginia which has yet to release information regarding the identity, according to Muncy."

FBI assisting McDowell Sheriff’s Department with human remain investigation

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back