Found Deceased WV - John Lawson Magruder, 39, Car Found at Coopers Rock, 27 July 2022

chaddylex

Verified local - Rebecca Stahl case
Reaction score

This is my friend's daughters neurologist at WVU.

1659541555917.png
Date of Last Contact July 27, 2022
Missing From Morgantown, West Virginia
Missing Age 39 Years
Current Age 39 Years

Case Information​

Demographics​

Missing Age39 Years
Current Age39 Years
First Name John
Middle Name Lawson
Last Name Magruder
Nickname/Alias Strider

Sex Male
Height5' 11" (71 Inches)
Weight240 - 260 lbs
Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian

Circumstances​

NamUs Case Created August 3, 2022

Last Known Location Map

Location Morgantown, West Virginia 26525
County Monongalia County
Missing From Tribal Land No
Primary Residence on Tribal Land--
Circumstances of Disappearance he was last seen on 07/27/2022 and that his vehicle was located in a parking area of Coopers Rock State Forest on
7/28/2022.. He could be traveling to significant places in his past in Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, or anywhere else.

Physical Description​

Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description Before his disappearance, John customarily kept his hair a few inches long.
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair DescriptionBefore his disappearance, John customarily was clean-shaven. He may have a beard now.
Left Eye ColorBlue
Right Eye ColorBlue
Eye DescriptionNo glasses or contacts

Distinctive Physical Features​

Item
Description
Scar/mark
Faint scar on stomach from pyloric stenosis surgery as an infant.

Clothing and Accessories​

Item
Description
Clothing
POSSIBLY in a green t-shirt and shorts.

Footwear
Hiking boots (1998 model)

Mon sheriff’s department suspends search for missing doctor​

August 1, 2022 by Submitted to The Dominion PostViews: 3051

The Monongalia County Sheriff’s Office announced Monday afternoon it has suspended the search for missing doctor John Lawson Magruder, who was reported missing on July 27, 2022.
According to a release from the department, search parties have searched over 842 acres of
Coopers Rock State Park as well as dedicating 1,000 man hours to finding Magruder.
Sheriff Perry Palmer and the Monongalia County Sheriff’s Office said they would like to thank the following agencies for their assistance in searching for Magruder: Granville Police Department, Morgantown City Police Department, West Virginia University Police Department, Mountaineer Area Rescue Group, Allegheny Mountain Rescue Group, Maryland Search and Rescue, Northwest Pennsylvania K9 Search and Rescue and the Appalachian Search and Rescue Conference Remote Support Corps.
According to the release, the Monongalia County Sheriff’s Office is continuing to investigate. Anyone who has information is asked to call the Monongalia County Sheriff’s Office at 304-291-7260.
Magruder, 39, of Morgantown, was last seen at around 9:30 a.m. Wednesday. He is described as a white male, 5’11”, and approximately 260 pounds.
TWEET @DominionPostWV

Tags: Coopers Rock, john lawson magruder, missing, missing doctor, missing man, Monongalia County Sheriff's Department
Submitted to The Dominion Post

Author: Submitted to The Dominion Post

Sadly, the search has been suspended. 840 acres searched, 1000 man hours and not a trace of him found. UPDATE: Search for missing Morgantown man suspended
they did have on NamUs under Circumstances of Disappearance, that he built a temporary shelter at West Virginia Forest which was across from Coopers Rock, I sent it to my friend and now that part was deleted. His disappearance circumstances even on the news has been very vague. From what I hear he was a very great person who loved his patients.

Check comments on SO FB:

His patient's parents/families all seem to love him.

More info on him:

1659551397203.png

This is my friend's daughters neurologist at WVU.

View attachment 357579
Missing From Morgantown, West Virginia
Missing Age 39 Years
Current Age 39 Years

Case Information​

Demographics​

Missing Age39 Years
Current Age39 Years
First Name John
Middle Name Lawson
Last Name Magruder
Nickname/Alias Strider

Sex Male
Height5' 11" (71 Inches)
Weight240 - 260 lbs
Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian

Circumstances​

NamUs Case Created August 3, 2022

Last Known Location Map

Location Morgantown, West Virginia 26525
County Monongalia County
Missing From Tribal Land No
Primary Residence on Tribal Land--
Circumstances of Disappearance he was last seen on 07/27/2022 and that his vehicle was located in a parking area of Coopers Rock State Forest on
7/28/2022.. He could be traveling to significant places in his past in Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, or anywhere else.

Physical Description​

Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description Before his disappearance, John customarily kept his hair a few inches long.
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair DescriptionBefore his disappearance, John customarily was clean-shaven. He may have a beard now.
Left Eye ColorBlue
Right Eye ColorBlue
Eye DescriptionNo glasses or contacts

Distinctive Physical Features​

Item
Description
Scar/mark
Faint scar on stomach from pyloric stenosis surgery as an infant.

Clothing and Accessories​

Item
Description
Clothing
POSSIBLY in a green t-shirt and shorts.

Footwear
Hiking boots (1998 model)
This is an odd statement since they found his vehicle: "He could be traveling to significant places in his past in Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, or anywhere else."

By what means do they think he would travel if not his abandoned car? Was he having personal difficulties of some kind that would lead him to seek out places in his past?

That is such a large forest & park. Very difficult to find someone without a phone ping or something tangible to help.

I can't see this man exploring off-trail on a few hours of dayhiking. What supplies did he carry? A backpack? Water bottle? Ball cap or other head gear?

What was his state of mind?

I'm very puzzled by the idea that he might have dropped his car there & be somewhere else. What is the evidence for that?

Is this a missing hiker or a missing person?

JMO

This is an odd statement since they found his vehicle: "He could be traveling to significant places in his past in Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, or anywhere else."

By what means do they think he would travel if not his abandoned car? Was he having personal difficulties of some kind that would lead him to seek out places in his past?

That is such a large forest & park. Very difficult to find someone without a phone ping or something tangible to help.

I can't see this man exploring off-trail on a few hours of dayhiking. What supplies did he carry? A backpack? Water bottle? Ball cap or other head gear?

What was his state of mind?

I'm very puzzled by the idea that he might have dropped his car there & be somewhere else. What is the evidence for that?

Is this a missing hiker or a missing person?

JMO
I agree. Very strange. It almost sounds like it's volunteer missing case. Wonder what was going on in his life before he disappeared

Not that this had anything to do with John Magruder's case, but I felt like I wanted to say that I feel for the Morgantown residents who are very upset after they just had a bad end to another missing man case. On July 26 - the day before John Magruder was reported missing - missing man John Strader was found deceased (a 46 year old father of eight children):

"John "Scott " Strader, a Morgantown husband and father reported missing by his family over the weekend, was found dead on Tuesday, according to a statement from the Strader family.

Strader's family released a statement to The Dominion Post Wednesday evening.

"It is with a broken heart that we announce that our wonderful husband, and amazing Daddy to our eight children, John "Scott " Strader, was found deceased on Tuesday, July 26, 2022. Thank you to everyone who shared, helped in his search and has reached out to the family".

I pray that John Magruder's case will have a better conclusion.

Praying this was not a suicide. So many families rely on him for neurological care for their children. And he has two kids who need their dad.

I wonder how they think he is traveling since his car was found. What triggered this disappearance on a Thursday? Did he plan the day off, call in unavailable or what?

Come home, John! You mean so much to so many and you are greatly missed. Whatever problems you are facing, don't walk alone. Accept help & support.

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
What was the purpose of going to Copper’s Rock? Hiking, camping?

Is this something that he was known to do or is this out of the ordinary?

“The officers responded to an area of the forest off Mont Chateau Trail and confirmed that human remains were there.”

*Edit- Bryn Hargreaves is also missing in this county, I believe.

“The officers responded to an area of the forest off Mont Chateau Trail and confirmed that human remains were there.”
How sad. But some closure for his family. I sure wish this had turned out differently. He has a legacy of helping so many.
RIP, Dr. Magruder.

NO UPDATES on Facebook or in MSM since this Sept. 6 post, apparently.

PRESS RELEASE
On Saturday, September 3, 2022, at 2:44 pm, Monongalia County Sheriff’s Deputies were advised by a hiker that human remains were observed in Coopers Rock State Forest.
According to the hiker, the remains were located off the Mont Chateau Trail. Deputies responded to the area and confirmed the presence of human remains.
The body was recovered from the area and transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner’s Office in Charleston for identification.
No further information will be released until positive identification has been made by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

Authorized by Sheriff Perry Palmer

BBM
MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member