Found Deceased WV - Natasha Carter, 10, Beckley, 8 Aug 2000

"Ricky Lafferty expressed a mix of emotions after the bodies of his daughter, Alex Carter, and her mother, Susan, both of whom had been missing for 24 years, were found buried in a yard in West Virginia.

"Finally we're going to bring my baby home," said Lafferty."

It's too bad this case wasn't looked at from a different angle earlier. Larry Webb's house was never checked and he was never given a polygraph?? He was smart to stay living there, so other people didn't come across stuff like the bullet and of course, the bodies. I wonder if that's why he stayed at the house all those years, or if he would have stayed there anyway?
I just spoke with Natasha's Dad, Rick. He his happy to hear that we are interested in helping. He gave me the names of the investigators involved with Natasha's disappearence. I am going to make contact with them and see if they will share any information.

A little about Natasha. She is computer savy. She had her own website at 10 years old. Her Dad thought it was some sort of site affiliated with Disney. I have searched myspace.com but think that we should continue to look there.

Natasha knew how to make a collect call and had done so on different occasions. He feels that if she were able to call she would have called either him or her Grandmother.

The last person to see Susan alive was her husband at the time. I will share the name with anyone who wants it by PM. Some people believe that he had something to do with them disappearing and he supposedly poured new concrete in his basement less then a month after they went missing. According to Rick, his house was never checked and he never took a polygraph.

There was a lead that did not pan out a couple of years ago in Florida. Someone supposedly saw Natasha with a black male who was a known pimp in the Orlando area.

About 6months after Susan disappeared, her car keys were found somewhere and had a Kroger card on them that said "If found drop in the mail". The keys turned up at the Kroger clearing house in Roanoke,VA. Rick said they never heard anything more about that.

There was some speculation related to the Jennifer Short case(there is a thread on WS about Jennifer). I have not looked into that information as of yet. The Grandmother said that the body that was found and presumed to be Jennifer was to decomposed for the amount of time that Jennifer had been missing. As I said I have not looked into that. The Grandmother said when that body was found, she thought that it might have been Natasha.

There is a group of white supremists who have a large compund in WV. They received information that Susan may be living there with Natasha.

That is about it except for a few details that I will share by PM.

Any ideas on where to go from here?

Last edited:
There is certainly some similarity, with what little we can see (one eye!) with this Natasha's picture.

I don't think it sounds too good that the ex (not Natasha's father) is now married to Susan's older daughter. I may be getting jaded with all of the horrible crimes we see and investigate here on WS, but that just smacks of foul play, IMO. What kind of daughter would marry her mom's ex? Well, other than Woody Allen, that is! It would be awfully easy to think the ex and the older daughter had something to do with this disappearance.
How odd Susan's older daughter married Larry Webb? Yikes. It sounds like she was probably Natasha's half sister. I wonder what he told Susan's older daughter or what she knew at the time?

What was Natasha's relationship with dad and grandma leading up to time of disappearance? Are they SURE she would have called?
According to both the Grnadmother and the Dad, the relationship was good and both feel that she would call if she could.
The X husband, where is he now? When were they married? What was Natasha's relationship like with him leading up to time of disappearance? He still lives in the same house that he lived in when they went missing. I don't know when he and Susan were married but they were married at the time of their disappearence. According to the Grandmother, Natasha was afraid of him and slept with a knife under her pillow.
What is/was Natasha's relationship with mom at time of disappearance? According to the Grandmother, not so good. Natasha would rather have been with her Grandmother or her Dad. The Grandmother had custody of her while another matter was being invesitgated. There had been an allegation of abuse against the Dadby Susan which was unfounded. He was fighting for full custody of Natasha when they disappeared.

The last person to see them alive was the ex-husband who by the way is now married to Susan's older daughter.
It was even known that Natasha was afraid of Larry Webb..

"Ricky Lafferty expressed a mix of emotions after the bodies of his daughter, Alex Carter, and her mother, Susan, both of whom had been missing for 24 years, were found buried in a yard in West Virginia.

"Finally we're going to bring my baby home," said Lafferty."

I'd certainly agree that the case was mishandled in the early days, with not looking into Larry Webb at all and not looking ( enough?) at other scenarios than Natasha being taken away by her mother because of the custody dispute.

@LeslieRubinWCHS

BREAKING: WVSP confirm the suspected remains of Susan Carter and her daughter Natasha “Alex” Carter were found after the suspect’s yard was excavated on April 22. In another twist — the suspect, Larry Webb, died at Mt. Olive just hours before the discovery was made.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — A confession by a suspect in failing health led authorities to what they believe are the remains of a long-missing woman and her daughter who were buried in the backyard of a southern West Virginia home.
Susan Carter and her daughter, Natasha “Alex” Carter, have not been seen since Aug. 8, 2000. Authorities announced that they found what were believed to be the pair's remains Monday at the home of suspect Larry Webb, hours after the man's death.

Bodies of mom and daughter in 24-year-old cold case found after deathbed confession

Updated: 10:44 AM EDT April 26, 2024

So Susan was going through a bitter custody battle.
She had Natasha with her and it was legally fine.
Natasha's father was fighting for custody with her mom.
And they were fighting hard.
And as long as Susan and Natasha's whereabouts were known, that custody battle was NOT resolved.
Susan did NOT lose the custody battle.

Excuse me, but a lot of people are fighting hard after breakup, and things sudden reunions, mutual agreements, compromises for the sake of the children are happening dozens of times more often than abductions.
If a parent and child went missing after lost custody battle then I could understand that family abduction would appear as likely possibility. But here? Having husband being the last to see both of them, with Natasha's dad suspecting him right from the get go, and despite Susan's fearing him?
How? Why? How many more murderers had their happy ever after with that oh, she/he/they ran away bs?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunshine2u49
Back