WV WV - Natasha Carter, 10, Beckley, 8 Aug 2000

Investigators may be a step closer to solving a decades old case in Raleigh County involving a missing mother and her daughter.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation in Pittsburgh confirmed it conducted "law enforcement activity" at a home on Kyle Road in Mabscott on Tuesday in connection to the investigation into the 2000 disappearance of Susan Carter and daughter, Natasha "Alex" Carter.
1693497052140.jpeg
"We, along with our law enforcement partners, are working diligently to bring answers to Alex Carter’s family," FBI spokesperson Catherin Coennen said.

On WCHS tv news broadcast, they mentioned a home has been searched and a bullet was found in the wall and I believe they also said the blood of the girl. They are tearing up the basement (tiles?) in the search. The man living in the house resided there the year they disappeared and I believe it was his caretaker that was giving information on the news. They also name the man.
*My opinions as this was live broadcast

If the link works, it was around the second story in, I think. Within the first 4-8 minutes in, would be my guess.

Last edited:

“At the house, a caregiver for resident Larry Webb, who knew the missing people, said the FBI have questioned Webb and told him that a bullet with the 10-year-old’s blood on it was removed from a bedroom wall earlier as well as the basement being searched on a recent visit.”

Dramatic twist in 23-year-old ‘kidnapping’ mystery

The prime suspect in a 23-year-old kidnapping cold case is now believed to be an innocent missing person like her daughter, law enforcement said.​

For decades, US police believed Susan Gail Carter abducted her 10-year-old daughter, Natasha “Alex” Carter, during a “contentious” custody battle with her husband in 2000, according to FBI wanted posters, which offered a USD$10,000 (AUD$15,500) reward.​

Carter allegedly told her husband, Rick Lafferty, at the time he would never see his daughter again, and the girl’s grandmother believed the child was afraid of her mother, according to the wanted posters.​

The investigation took a dramatic swing the last two weeks after West Virginia State Police collected new evidence that suggests both Susan and her daughter mysteriously disappeared at the same time.​

State police and FBI agents executed two search warrants at the Carters’ last known address in Raleigh County, West Virginia, after obtaining new information.​

I just read about this case this morning. I didn't know about it. What made them think she'd been abducted by her mother? What evidence was there to suggest that vs what has actually happened?
RE: the last paragraph in the text I pasted from the news article, does that mean its Susan's then-current husband who is the suspect now? The one who apparently - shockingly - married Susan's oldest daughter?

What was Natasha's relationship with dad and grandma leading up to time of disappearance? Are they SURE she would have called?
According to both the Grnadmother and the Dad, the relationship was good and both feel that she would call if she could.
The X husband, where is he now? When were they married? What was Natasha's relationship like with him leading up to time of disappearance? He still lives in the same house that he lived in when they went missing. I don't know when he and Susan were married but they were married at the time of their disappearence. According to the Grandmother, Natasha was afraid of him and slept with a knife under her pillow.
What is/was Natasha's relationship with mom at time of disappearance? According to the Grandmother, not so good. Natasha would rather have been with her Grandmother or her Dad. The Grandmother had custody of her while another matter was being invesitgated. There had been an allegation of abuse against the Dadby Susan which was unfounded. He was fighting for full custody of Natasha when they disappeared.

The last person to see them alive was the ex-husband who by the way is now married to Susan's older daughter.

The FBI said in a statement it was able to “identify and recover additional forensic evidence related to this investigation” but declined to divulge details about what was collected or what prompted the search warrants.

They both haven’t been seen for 23 years. Picture: Supplied

The home where police executed the search warrants belongs to Larry Dell Webb. His caretaker, Terry Lilly, allowed news outlets in the house after police were finished.

This reminds me of the Chance Wakerhagen case. Everyone thought that his father had murdered the boy's mother and abducted him, but investigators later believed that both Chance and his father were killed.

Several weeks after a man in his 80s told a reporter “I have dementia” and claimed not to know “what happened” to a 10-year-old girl last seen alive in 2000, a special grand jury in Raleigh County, West Virginia indicted Larry Webb for first-degree murder this week.

According to the FBI’s facts surrounding the missing person case, 10-year-old Natasha “Alex” Carter was last seen alive in Beckley on Aug. 8, 2000, with Susan Gail Carter (a.k.a., Susan Gail Carter Webb), her non-custodial mother, after Carter’s “contentious” child custody battle with the girl’s father.

Authorities believed that Susan Carter abducted Alex and the two moved in with the mother’s new husband.

“They may have traveled out of state and left West Virginia. Susan had been involved in a contentious battle over Natasha’s custody with the child’s father and had told him he would never see his daughter again,” the FBI missing person poster said. “Natasha’s grandmother believed the child was afraid of her mother and did not want to live with her. Susan may be using the alias Susan Gail Carter Webb and she may alter her appearance.”

West Virginia State Police, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), and U.S. Marshals excavated a yard in Raleigh County on Tuesday hoping to find out what happened to a little girl who disappeared nearly 24 years ago.

Ten-year-old Natasha Carter, known as “Alex,” and her mother, Susan Carter, were last seen around August 8, 2000.

Authorities said at the time of their disappearance, they lived with Larry Webb at his home at 126 Kyle Lane in the Mabscott-Beckley area of Raleigh County.

“Knowing what we were going into, knowing the potential issues that he had medically and that he had been in a medical facility that it was going to take some work to get this done,” Allard shared. “Any time there’s a child involved, this is something where everybody comes together and works...as a team on the highest level and that’s what happened in this case. That’s ultimately what culminated in his arrest on Friday.”

“Raleigh County Prosecuting Attorney Ben Hatfield confirmed to 59News that after an ‘extremely’ difficult and long battle, Larry Webb was taken into custody on Friday, April 12th.”

**Update**
Larry Webb passed away 4/22/2024 and they did find remains on the property on the afternoon of 4/22/2024 that are believed to belong to Alex and her Mother.

Authorities said Webb confessed to the murder of Carter and Alex in early April, according to authorities.

Webb told authorities that he shot Carter during an argument over cash inside the home that he believed Carter had spent.

He told investigators after shooting Carter, that he “knew he had ruined his life forever” and believed he had to shoot Alex to avoid getting caught for Carter’s death.

Webb said he wrapped their bodies in bed linings and placed them on the floor in the basement of the home as he dug a shallow grave in the wooded area of the backyard, according to authorities.

Authorities said a landscaper who lived just a few doors down from Webb’s home assisted in the recovery operation this week.
Deathbed confession leads to a solved 24-year-old cold case of a missing woman and 10-year-old girl :(

Authorities said Webb confessed to the murder of Carter and Alex in early April, according to authorities.

Webb told authorities that he shot Carter during an argument over cash inside the home that he believed Carter had spent.

He told investigators after shooting Carter, that he “knew he had ruined his life forever” and believed he had to shoot Alex to avoid getting caught for Carter’s death.

Webb said he wrapped their bodies in bed linings and placed them on the floor in the basement of the home as he dug a shallow grave in the wooded area of the backyard, according to authorities.

Authorities said a landscaper who lived just a few doors down from Webb’s home assisted in the recovery operation this week.
Deathbed confession leads to a solved 24-year-old cold case of a missing woman and 10-year-old girl :(
But did it happen in 2000 or years later? My God :'(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back