WY WY - Cian McLaughlin, 27, hiker, Grand Teton National Park, Jackson, 8 Jun 2021

I hiked the Taggart Lake Trail a few days ago and ran into a Grizzly. There was a lot of bear scat along the trail.
Yikes! And here I thought those times I hiked in the Tetons that the Grizzlies stayed in Yellowstone. (Mostly kidding.)

OTOH, moose can be just as dangerous, and I did see a few of them along the various trails and along the Snake River.

Yikes! And here I thought those times I hiked in the Tetons that the Grizzlies stayed in Yellowstone. (Mostly kidding.)

OTOH, moose can be just as dangerous, and I did see a few of them along the various trails and along the Snake River.

You are not wrong , just outdated! In the mid 1990s, there were virtually no grizzly bears in the Tetons, only black bear. The grizzly population has increased since then and now they are found frequently in both the Teton and Wind River ranges.

New post from the park, but it starts with “no new information has been reported.” I’m surprised they posted again given how these cases are usually handled. Not that he doesn’t deserve it, but the parks are notoriously quick to move on. Makes me wonder if there’s something they know but can’t share — I’m probably reading way too much into it.

Something just seems so strange. These trails aren’t desolate, and he seemed to be headed back to his car. He was experienced, not only at hiking, but at hiking these trails. None of this is what we typically see.

This does seem like an odd disappearance. Not many young guys with a mustache, so I’d think he’d be noticed by others. I know there was that awful attack in Montana this week, but wouldn’t there be evidence of same here? I wonder if he had any kind of visa worries? (LE stated he has an Irish accent).

Bear Pulls California Woman Out of Her Tent, Kills Her in Montana

This does seem like an odd disappearance. Not many young guys with a mustache, so I’d think he’d be noticed by others. I know there was that awful attack in Montana this week, but wouldn’t there be evidence of same here? I wonder if he had any kind of visa worries? (LE stated he has an Irish accent).

Bear Pulls California Woman Out of Her Tent, Kills Her in Montana

I doubt that he had any VISA issues, lately, with Covid, visa waivers are easy to get. And it seems like he was here, working, so, no issues there.

If he had been attacked by a bear, there would be plenty of evidence. He probably fell hiking. Unfortunately, it happens all too often.

I doubt that he had any VISA issues, lately, with Covid, visa waivers are easy to get. And it seems like he was here, working, so, no issues there.

If he had been attacked by a bear, there would be plenty of evidence. He probably fell hiking. Unfortunately, it happens all too often.

I watched the video Galadriel shared earlier and there seems to be few areas to fall, though. If he did, the terrain doesn’t seem overly difficult for SAR. But this isn’t an area of GTNP I’m personally familiar with, so I could be reading it very wrong. I also don’t have a better theory.

The last cell ping being at 3:30. Does anyone know how often a ping like that would usually come? That’s very close to the time he was last seen. Does that mean the phone was turned off/broken shortly after? Recognizing that it’s a remote area, so reception would be spotty.

The last reported sighting of a man fitting McLaughlin’s description was on the Garnet Canyon Trail, a short distance above the Garnet Canyon/Surprise Lake junction around 3:45 p.m. on Tuesday, June 8.

Search resumed today for 27-year-old man, missing for 10 days - Grand Teton National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
June 18, 2021

A Jackson resident who recently returned from an international trip came forward with new information. The reporting party said they saw McLaughlin on Tuesday, June 8, in the late afternoon/early evening on the trail on the south side of the Bradley/Taggart moraine. The individual reported McLaughlin was headed south towards Taggart Lake and had a conversation with McLaughlin where he described where he worked, that he’s from Ireland, and currently living in Jackson. The reporting party continued hiking towards Bradley Lake and did not see McLaughlin again that evening.

Park responds to new information in search of missing hiker - Grand Teton National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
June 23, 2021

Can someone clarify how this info fits into a timeline? I know nothing about GTNP (and not much about hiking in general, I'm not the outdoorsy type). The second tip seems to be substantially different, since the press release mentions they made additional search efforts. Late afternoon/early evening is a bit vague, unfortunately.

If someone could list specific coordinates of these locations, I could put together a map. Specifically, can someone list the approximate coordinates for Garnet Canyon/Surprise Lake junction and trail on the south side of the Bradley/Taggart moraine?

It’s weird the difference between this case and missing hiker Tatum Morell they announced today they think she’s dead and are scaling back the search after a week.
I was thinking the same thing. Is there a thread for Tatum? I've been following for this past week

GTNP still updating on FB: List of some newer items he was likely carrying, including an Apple watch..

Grand Teton National Park
46 mins ·
No new information has been reported about missing 27-year-old hiker Cian McLaughlin. The park continues to request any information the public may have that may aid in locating McLaughlin.

He was last seen in the late afternoon/early evening on Tuesday, June 8, 2021, on the south side of the Bradley/Taggart Moraine, headed south towards Taggart Lake.
An updated missing person flyer is being posted with McLaughlin’s photo and items he was last known to be carrying.

Anyone with information regarding McLaughlin’s whereabouts is urged to contact the National Park Service Investigative Services Branch:
☎️ Call or text the tip line: 888-653-0009
Online: www.nps.gov/ISB and click “Submit a Tip”
Email: nps_isb@nps.gov

For the latest update (June 23) and historic media releases, please visit: https://go.nps.gov/1cah3o

Just an older article, but thought I'd share.

38 days missing: Limited search continues for missing Irish man in Wyoming

"Cian McLaughlin has been missing in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming since June 8. Officials say that it is unusual for someone to be missing for so long. "

E6NjWbsVgAYyzw8

Cian crossed my mind today. I was hoping to find a positive update to this thread (or any update, I guess). :(

The last cell ping being at 3:30. Does anyone know how often a ping like that would usually come? That’s very close to the time he was last seen. Does that mean the phone was turned off/broken shortly after?
rsbm. Based on what I've learned from other cases, a stationary phone (not changing towers) pings about every 8 hours or so. It would only stop those regular pings if there was no service or if there was no power to the phone, either from being broken or running out of battery. (More knowledgeable posters, please feel free to correct me.)

That's not accounting for other data transmittal, though. If Cian's phone still had service, and he made/received calls or texts, used an app, or received a notification, his phone would be communicating with the tower outside of the ping. I assume from LE's statement that the 3:30 ping was the last data transmission of any kind from Cian's phone to the tower. Either his phone moved out of the service area, or it lost power somehow, and so lost the ability to receive further data.

PHOTOS: Wyoming launches new missing persons database, listing 71 cases dating back to 1974

Missing Person, June 8, 2021, Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming: Cian John McLaughlin, 27, was last heard from on June 8, 2021 in Teton County, Wyoming. Cian is a white male, approximately 6’0″, 180 pounds, with brown hair and eyes. His cell phone was last pinged on the Teton Park Road near Cottonwood Creek. He is known to hike the String Lake and Taggart Lake areas. Cian was recently diagnosed with a medical condition that requires treatments. Anyone with information or contact with Cian is requested to contact the Teton National Park at (307) 739-3301 or the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation at (307) 777-7181.

Family in new appeal to find 'adored' Cian McLaughlin

There has been a renewed appeal for information from the family of Cian McLaughlin, the Irish man who disappeared in a US national park last June.

The 27-year-old Dubliner was last seen at Grand Teton park in Wyoming on Tuesday 8 June.

A climbing guide reported seeing a solo hiker, matching Mr McLaughlin's description, on the Garnet Canyon Trail. His car was later found parked near Lupine Meadows.

His family has issued a new poster, appealing for help in finding the "incredibly adored" young man.

The flyer, posted in locations near the park, states: "The weather is changing rapidly and we have a small window to bring home this incredibly adored young man.

"We desperately need your help to find him and get closure for his loved ones who have been frantically searching over four long months to locate Cian."

It details how Mr McLaughlin was wearing a red Apple Watch, white t-shirt, a pair of shorts (reportedly), wire rimmed sunglasses and a unique silver necklace on the day he went missing.

The family notes that Mr McLaughlin is "an incredibly friendly person, it is likely that he would stop and chat with people or say hello in passing. We believe that he was alone".

00185c7f-614.jpg

Home - Missing Persons

Missing Person, June 8, 2021, Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming:
Cian John McLaughlin, age 27, was reported to be last seen in the late afternoon/early evening on Tuesday, June 8, 2021, hiking on the south side of the Bradley/Taggart Moraine, headed south towards Taggart Lake. Cian is a white male, approximately 6'0", 180 pounds, with brown hair and eyes. His cell phone was last pinged on the Teton Park Road near Cottonwood Creek. Cian was last seen wearing a white t-shirt, wire-rimmed glasses, and a red apple watch. He may have also been wearing a hat, shorts and hiking boots.

The park continues to operate in a limited, continuous mode. Park staff continue to patrol the backcountry and search for signs of McLaughlin’s whereabouts. Additionally, missing person posters have been posted at trailheads, visitor centers, entrance stations, backcountry permit desks, and other locations throughout the park. They continue to ask the public for any new information. Anyone with information regarding McLaughlin’s whereabouts is urged to contact the National Park Service Investigative Services Branch. Call or text the tip line at (888) 653-0009, online at www.nps.gov/ISB click "Submit a Tip", or by emailing nps_ibs@nps.gov.

For park media releases on missing hiker Cian McLaughlin, please visit: https://www.nps.gov/grte/learn/news/park-responds-to-new-information-in-search-of-missing-hiker.htm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back