Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reminded of this public display/disagreement that happened just a few days before her murder:

Something about a huge argument, and it definitely sounded like she was the apologetic one trying to iron out the perception of what happened. To me, that is a textbook abusive relationship, where in this case Gabby was placating the abuser and trying to make sure Brian would be nice again. It's really so sad.

At this point with both of them gone, I don't know how justice is served by a civil lawsuit, but I guess that's how the wheels of justice turn in these here parts.

No Crimes Charged. Are Gabby’s Parents “Testing” ?
.... the P's disagree with this conclusion, and have, as matter of their legal right, their constitutional right, I might add, chosen to test this vague opinion in a court of law.... Because the P's hold the opinion that that conclusion is erroneous....
snipped for focus @Trooper

Agreeing that Petito & Schmidt have the constitutional right to bring suit alleging infliction of emotional distress, a CIVIL suit against CL & RL (and atty SB).

As they have no authority to file a CRIMINAL case, Petito & Schmidt may “disagree” w FL. prosecutor’s decision not to file criminal charges, but their civil suit does not “test” that decision. They do not stand in the shoes of the state which has authority to file criminal charges.
Regardless of civil lawsuit outcome, CL & RL (and atty SB) cannot be jailed or otherwise incarcerated, as would be possible if a jury found them guilty of criminal charges.
If Gabby’s parents are awarded money damages in their civil suit, that does not substantiate that the prosecutor’s decision was “erroneous.”
Such an award would only show that Petito & Schmidt’s evidence re infliction of emotional distress met the LOWER standard of proof required for a CIVIL case, Preponderance of the Evidence (i.e., more likely than not).
It would not verify that the state would be able to prove that CL & RL were guilty of a CRIME (conspiracy or aiding & abetting) which requires a HIGHER standard of proof --Beyond a Reasonable Doubt.

If I've misundertood ^ post, my apologies, but it seems to conflate civil law and criminal law in US justice system.

Last edited:
Moo... there is nothing holding these two adult people together. They both chose to be together. My neighbors went thru a break up, both probably 18/19 yrs old the words...don't push me, came from both sides I did listen to see if it went sideways. The parents are not responsible for their adult child's choices. Many people stay in unhealthy situations, by choice....moo

No Criminal Conspiracy Case Filed re Brian & L's
@Trooper posted, in part:*
".... All three entered into a criminal conspiracy to evade police investigation of Gabby's whereabouts, and her condition, and her situation in general. That is part of why the L"s are being sued." (sbm)

@Sundog responded, in part:**
"Do you have a link that says that Chris and Roberta Laundrie were involved in some kind of criminal conspiracy? .... They were never charged for any crime. This is a civil suit they are facing, which has nothing to do with criminality." (sbm)

They are the recipients of civil suite, and that qualifies...
(sbm)

@Trooper
Respectfully, the L's being named as defendants in a suit alleging infliction of emotional distress, a CIVIL suit, does not "qualify" or establish them as having entered a CRIMINAL conspiracy.

* Found Deceased - WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #87

I'm saying I don't believe the couple had a history of domestic violence. While Gabby was mad at Brian and hitting him, he wanted both of them to take a break from each other to cool off. They loved each other, traveling in national parks and it wasn't their first cross-country trip.

Domestic violence involves total control over the victim, with the aggressor refusing to walk away to take a break. Victims seek protection either at DV shelters or with family/friends. Gabby admitted to police that she was the instigator. Brian begged police not to arrest her because he loved Gabby, and he knew she loved him. I have no doubt he went to that nature area to commit suicide so they could be together in the afterlife. May they both RIP.

JMO
If one accept Brian's words and Gabby's highlight reels at face value I can understand why it appeared to be a healthy relationship. They were edited to appear that way.

It must be shocking and scary to realize the happy-looking couple was hiding a dangerous secret. It would be unbelievable! Most would find it incredulous. After all, Brian specifically told police that HE was the one trying to "de-escalate" Gabby's emotional outburst! He presented himself as such a nice guy! In fact, Brian's so great he discontinued taking his anxiety prescription just because he felt like he didn't need it!

It must have been disheartening to learn that Brian displayed controlling behavior before they left Florida. He stole Gabby's driver's license because he wanted to prevent her from enjoying a night out with her girlfriend.

It is terrifying to peel back the veneer and realize the truth - our world is a scary place.
The lying aggressor refusing to walk away was proven to be Brian. He killed Gabby, likely when she tried to break up with him.

Without knowing the research, domestic violence is often unbelieved.

He is a complete coward and murderers are not "reunited" with the victims that they terrorized by choking off their air supply, in the "afterlife".
Correct.

Hospice nursing staff often having to console older women through the process of dying. Many nursing staff have to reassure dying women that their rapists/abusers would not be waiting for them after they closed their eyes for the last time. i guess it was a common threat the victim had heard and believed in their lifetime. So sad.

Correct.

Hospice nursing staff often having to console older women through the process of dying. Many nursing staff have to reassure dying women that their rapists/abusers would not be waiting for them after they closed their eyes for the last time. i guess it was a common threat the victim had heard and believed in their lifetime. So sad.
All hospice staff have also witnessed the terrible panic of patients who feel they are not getting air. Could you imagine witnessing your own murder, with the monster facing you, watching your face, as you knew you were being killed?

<modsnip>

The Petito's have said that the Laundrie family didn't tell them anything about Gabby's disappearance and death and they cut them off both through SM and through their phone. They are now amassing sworn depositions and evidence to prove their case. Even the Laundrie's former attorney supports the Petito's case in his deposition.

<modsnip>
They may very well prevail in their lawsuit.

When you consider that they only need to achieve 'preponderance of evidence ' vs 'beyond a reasonable doubt'
the threshold is very low.

This case will be decided during jury selection IMO.

JMO.

Do we know for sure this is a jury trial? It could just be a judge. If I were the Laundries, I'd want a judge vs a jury.
The United States and Florida constitutions guarantee the right to a trial by jury in most criminal and civil cases. A jury trial is permitted but not required. That is to say, both parties to a civil lawsuit can elect for a bench trial instead, where the judge alone hears the case and renders a judgment.

Typically, the parties inform the court if they want a jury trial when they file their initial pleadings in the case. Note that a jury trial is necessary when either side makes a demand. So even if you as the plaintiff want a bench trial, the other side can demand and receive a jury trial.
Looks like both sides would have to agree to a bench trial. I don't see that happening. JMO.

Jury Trial or Bench Trial?
Do we know for sure this is a jury trial? It could just be a judge. If I were the Laundries, I'd want a judge vs a jury.
@Lawnguylander1964
Got no link ATM, but from reading the petition, IIRC plaintiffs requested a jury trial.

ETA: I recall that from reading the original petition. The Third Amended Complaint,* dated Nov. 30, 2023, I don't see the jury trial request but believe that original request is deemed preserved.

Last edited:
Jury Trial or Bench Trial?

@Lawnguylander1964
Got no link ATM, but from reading the petition, IIRC plaintiffs demanded a jury trial.
You are correct. Oops wrong case. Edited to link correct case.

A Florida judge has denied motions to dismiss the civil lawsuit filed by Gabby Petito’s parents against the parents of Brian Laundrie, a ruling that sets the stage for a jury trial next year.

Actually, the envelope said "Burn After Reading" and, according to Mrs. Laundrie, it was because Gabby had given Brian a book called "Burn After Writing" and they joked about it. She said she wrote it before Brian left with Gabby on their trip.

It included a Bible verse. There is nothing nefarious about the letter.

JMO

“I just want you to remember I will always love you, and I know you will always love me. You are my boy. Nothing can make me stop loving you, nothing will or could ever divide us no matter what we do, or where we go or what we say — we will always love each other,” Roberta Laundrie wrote.

“If you’re in jail, I will bake a cake with a file in it. If you need to dispose of a body, I will show up with a shovel and garbage bags. If you fly to the moon, I will be watching the skies for your re-entry. If you say you hate my guts, I’ll get new guts,” the letter continued.

Roberta Laundrie included a Bible verse from Romans 8:38.

She ended the letter by saying: “(Nothing can separate us: not hatred, not hunger, not homelessness, not threats, not even sin, not the thinkable or unthinkable can get between us.) ~ Not time. Not miles and miles and miles. ~”

The letter was in an envelope that said, “Brian Christopher Laundrie (burn after reading).”

The letter feels creepy to me. Most of us raise our sons to be men, not our boys and her unconditional belief that nothing can come between them leaves me feeling like RL feels there is no room in their relationship for anyone else, including girlfriends.

I'm not sure she's offering support after he killed Gabby but the fact that she talks about 'we will always love each other,' etc, is just way to weird for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dragneel69