Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
<snipped for focus>

I am not surprised that RL filed a protective order for the letter. It was very personal and the social media backlash has been incredibly vicious toward her as a mother.

I am not surprised, either, that BL may have taken the letter with him to teh Carlton Reserve in his backpack. If he had decided to take his life, he may have wanted the most precious things he could take with him at that time, maybe to read again in his last momements of life. Especially if he was really close to his mom.
Well, yeah. There was social media backlash, neighbors carrying signs in her yard, planes with banners circling over her house.

Human empathy niggles at me to recognize that RL also lost a son to suicide. She wasn’t charged criminally, and won’t be. At times, I feel like the P’s civil suit is extending the grief for both families.

But then, the pesky facts jump back out at me.

BL murdered Gabby.
RL blocked the P’s phone number.
RL hired an attorney.
RL not only didn’t help to search, but she took her family and BL to DeSoto while the country searched for their missing future daughter-in-law.
RL was uncooperative with LE and donned a hat to fool the FBI into thinking BL was still at home.
RL went and picked up BL’s car at the Reserve, while a manhunt for her son was happening.
RL was able to later locate her deceased son’s location, again, after many LE resources could not find him.

When I consider the above, my empathy for the L’s kind of fizzles out.
Then I get angry for Gabby’s family all over again.

jmo

Well, yeah. There was social media backlash, neighbors carrying signs in her yard, planes with banners circling over her house.

Human empathy niggles at me to recognize that RL also lost a son to suicide. She wasn’t charged criminally, and won’t be. At times, I feel like the P’s civil suit is extending the grief for both families.

But then, the pesky facts jump back out at me.

BL murdered Gabby.
RL blocked the P’s phone number.
RL hired an attorney.
RL not only didn’t help to search, but she took her family and BL to DeSoto while the country searched for their missing future daughter-in-law.
RL was uncooperative with LE and donned a hat to fool the FBI into thinking BL was still at home.
RL went and picked up BL’s car at the Reserve, while a manhunt for her son was happening.
RL was able to later locate her deceased son’s location, again, after many LE resources could not find him.

When I consider the above, my empathy for the L’s kind of fizzles out.
Then I get angry for Gabby’s family all over again.

jmo
I understand people have different views of the Laundries. And lots of things on the above list haven't been proven one way or the other. But...

Even wearing a hat 55-year old female RL didn't look anything like her 23-year old son. I really don't think she's to blame for the exceedingly odd mistaken identification by NPPD LE. And most of the time we've seen her she's either worn a hat or a visor shading her eyes. It's Florida after all so wearing hats is common. Surely she was not trying to look like BL all the time.

I'm also not sure it's fair to say there was a "manhunt" for BL when she & her husband removed the Mustang from the Reserve's parking area on Sept 15 so it wouldn't get towed away per the notice on the car. There wasn't a warrant for BL until a week later on Sept 22. The FBI & LE started searching the swamp for BL on Sept 18 based on missing person reports from his parents.
JMO

Last edited:
I have never commented on this case before, but I remember it when it happened. It was never a whodunit in my opinion. But I have a lot of questions about this case.

First, did Gabby's friends state that she complained about Brian and the way he acted? Did co-workers notice her covering up bruises or other physical injuries? If someone had listened to Gabby and Brian argue, what would the arguments be about?

How much money did they have for this trip? According to what I read they had taken an earlier road trip in a Nissan Sentra, but that costed more money for hotels, gas, and food. The idea behind the van was to cut down on those costs.

The police traffic stop on August 12, 2021 was very revealing. I saw the same thing as the officer, a female with some anxiety problems, but who seemed very genuine and sweet. The whole traffic stop was strange in that police considered Gabby Petito to be the aggressor and seemed to debate what they should do regarding arresting her. Brian Laundrie came off as very respectful and so police let him go. The part that stood out to me was that the officer had to set Brian up with a hotel room through a domestic abuse type shelter as he was considered the victim. When asked if he had money for a hotel room on his own, Brian stated they had little money. Maybe the Laundrie family had money, but not Brian himself?

The way a person's words can be twisted when they are being honest was so surprising in this case. Brian Laundrie was the aggressor. It was the things he was doing to Gabby, like not letting her in the van, that caused her to act the way she did before the traffic stop. But the way Gabby phrased the incident and the words from one of the eyewitnesses made it seem like she was the aggressor at the traffic stop.

I wonder what a psychologist would say about this case? My opinion is as follows:

I think this murder happened because of control. When I look at Brian Laundrie, I see someone who needs to be in control. On August 27, 2021, Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie stopped at a Whole Foods Market in Jackson, Wyoming. In the video, after Brian gets out of the driver's side of the van, he slams the drive's side van door. Then both Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie walk in to Whole Foods together, Gabby with her arms crossed and Brian seeming to just follow her in the store. The one thing I noticed was that they seemed to buy very little. It was hard to tell if they were actually purchasing anything. I think this was possibly the day the murder happened as Brian Laundrie was already charged up according to the Whole Foods video. Shortly before going to the Whole Foods, they had stopped at a restaurant called Merry Piglets and left without paying. A server stopped them in the parking lot of the restaurant and they paid the bill. Before leaving the Merry Piglets restaurant Brian Laundrie had verbal altercations with the restaurant staff. After this is when they went to the Whole Foods.

Gabby Petito said something at the August 12, 2021 traffic stop that also made me think Brian Laundrie was very controlling. She said that he would tell her she is not going to make it at her vlogging pursuits. I think this also played a role in the arguments because I wonder sometimes if he was as into the van life pursuit as she was?

There is a great video that you have probably seen on the Youtube channel, Nomadic Statik, that was a collection of videos from Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie's travels. At one point, Gabby Petito says, "I love the van." I counted the number of times each of them held the camera during the nearly 8 minute video. Gabby Petito held the camera nearly 6 times as much as Brian Laundrie.

Brian Laundrie's final attempt at control was to try and control the narrative with his notebook shortly before he took his own life. I do not believe what he wrote in the notebook other than he ended her life. It appears the combination of a bunch of factors centering around control and Brian Laundrie's inability to cope may have led to this tragic murder.

If you have not seen the video on the Youtube channel Nomadic Statik, I suggest watching it. Gabby Petito did a great job editing the video. But the video is also an important lesson for how it shows people can act one way in public when others are around, but the complete opposite when no one is watching.

Also, stealing your girlfriend's ID to prevent her from being social is pretty obstinate, too. And retaliatory.
An adult who is unable to compromise or be flexible ("let things go"), and responds with anger or violence towards the ones they love is the definition of stubborn. It's their way or the highway.

And antisocial. :(

imo

Also, stealing your girlfriend's ID to prevent her from being social is pretty obstinate, too. And retaliatory.
An adult who is unable to compromise or be flexible ("let things go"), and responds with anger or violence towards the ones they love is the definition of stubborn. It's their way or the highway.
And he practiced "coercive control" on Gabby, IMO:

Coercive Control: 12 Signs and How to Get Out

"You’re probably familiar with some forms of domestic violence, such as physical or verbal abuse. There’s a more subtle type of abusive behavior that’s equally harmful.

Coercive control is a strategic form of ongoing oppression and terrorism used to instill fear. The abuser will use tactics, such as limiting access to money or monitoring all communication, as a controlling effort.

While this form of abuse is illegal in some countries, including the United Kingdom, since 2015, it’s not considered illegal in the United States unless a crime has been committed.

Anyone can experience coercive control, but it’s often grounded in gender-based privilege. Between 60 and 80 percent of women seeking assistance for abuse have experienced coercive control."

I understand people have different views of the Laundries. And lots of things on the above list haven't been proven one way or the other. But...

Even wearing a hat 55-year old female RL didn't look anything like her 23-year old son. I really don't think she's to blame for the exceedingly odd mistaken identification by NPPD LE. And most of the time we've seen her she's either worn a hat or a visor shading her eyes. It's Florida after all so wearing hats is common. Surely she was not trying to look like BL all the time.

I'm also not sure it's fair to say there was a "manhunt" for BL when she & her husband removed the Mustang from the Reserve's parking area on Sept 15 so it wouldn't get towed away per the notice on the car. There wasn't a warrant for BL until a week later on Sept 22. The FBI & LE started searching the swamp for BL on Sept 18 based on missing person reports from his parents.
JMO
Do you think RL knew what happened to Gabby?
(Honest question, and apologies if you’ve answered in previous posts).

If no, why wouldn’t she talk to the P’s?

I think there’s two things going on here.

1. The lawsuit for emotional distress
2. Our own feelings and opinions on the case

The P family are going to do whatever they can to get some sort of justice for their daughter. They’ll use the wording they need to use to get there. I don’t think “it’s about the money” for them, I think it’s about accountability and justice. This is the best way they see forward for doing that.

On a personal level, and I will admit to being a little rusty on this case, I lean towards the L family having more responsibility towards Gabby’s well being than they clearly think they did, and I do judge their following actions as a result - but that part is purely my own opinion and irrelevant to the lawsuit.

Apologies for not making that clear

I never thought this was about money. The suit against the Laundries is like $30k? While the L's don't have money, the P's could have gone for the value of their house, at least, if they wanted to inflict some type of uncomfortable pain.

I believe the main reason for the lawsuit is to get as much information and facts out in the public domain and on the record as possible so that down the line the L's can't revise history and sell their story for money. What I'm saying is, this lawsuit (IMO) is partly about whatever justice they can get for Gabby and partly a long term strategy to protect Gabby's story.

Last edited:
Could be he told them it was a messy breakup and to not get involved?
Could be. But when Gabby’s parents hadn’t heard from her and started asking questions, when law enforcement started asking questions, common sense says it was time for his parents to start asking BL some BIG questions. If he couldn’t or wouldn’t answer, they owed it to the P’s and to LE to straight up tell them exactly what they knew, and what BL had told them.

Gabby was the P’s future daughter-in-law, not some random woman he just picked up along the way in a trip. If BL told his parents it was a breakup, then where was the last place he had seen her? Where had he left her, without her van? The P’s would have been straight off to Teton had they at least known where Gabby was last seen. Heck, the L’s should have been off to Teton to help look for her. Instead they took a family trip to DeSoto.

Makes no sense. They claimed to love Gabby.
The only conclusion I can draw is they knew, and they did nothing.

jmo

I never thought this was about money. The suit against the Laundries is like $30k? While the L's don't have money, the P's could have gone for the value of their house, at least, if they wanted to inflict some type of uncomfortable pain.

I believe the main reason for the lawsuit is to get as much information and facts out in the public domain and on the record as possible so that down the line the L's can't revise history and sell their story for money. What I'm saying is, this lawsuit (IMO) is partly about whatever justice they can get for Gabby and partly a long term strategy to protect Gabby's story.
I disagree with you about the reasons for the Petitos' lawsuit and have seen no evidence the L's want to "sell their story." I won't lay all that out now though. However, I will note the lawsuit against the L's definitely isn't for only $30,000. The Amended Complaint states on the first page (bold added):

"This is an action for damages that exceed $30,000.00 exclusive of prejudgment, interest, costs and attorney fees."

So the judgment requested is more than $30,000 plus the other costs including attorney fees. Attorney fees alone will be a huge chunk given that the "fee meter" is running every time their attorney talks to reporters. <modsnip: not victim friendly towards family>
JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think RL knew what happened to Gabby?
(Honest question, and apologies if you’ve answered in previous posts).

If no, why wouldn’t she talk to the P’s?
I have laid out my thinking in lots of detail in earlier threads. I haven't really changed my mind as I've seen nothing to change it. I have read the P's Complaint but need to see proof of those claims as the Complaint itself isn't evidence. But I'm not at all convinced BL told his parents what was really going on at least not early on.

My best bet is what @Laura456 suggested-- BL said he & GP had a nasty breakup. (The L's certainly must have known the couple argued alot-- everyone who knew them [except the P's] starting with when they dated in high school-- has said that. So a breakup after traveling crammed in a tiny van together would hardly be surprising.) He may have even said he knew the P's thought it was his fault and not to talk to them because that would make it worse. (It's not been a secret GP's father didn't like any of her boyfriends pretty much since she started dating. So that story would have been believable, I think.) However, BL likely said some things that made his parents worry about legal issues. For example, he may have told them he accessed their "shared" bank acct for travel expenses and as we know, legally that acct was not shared. (I have known young unmarried people to share an acct that is only in one name. I wouldn't do it but people do. And unlike in the olden days, it's pretty impossible to open small bank accts without huge fees. So couples do share.) He also was driving the van and that could have concerned them. BUT both BL & GP called it "their van" so I expect the L's thought it was jointly owned. (And BL had done all the work on it in their driveway so joint ownership would make sense.)

I suspect the L's not talking to the P's initially was because BK told them false stories. We also don't know what they'd been told when he had flown home earlier in Aug. If he talked then about them fighting alot, a breakup story would make even more sense. But later I think they wouldn't have talked to them simply based on legal advice. (Also remember, while the P's tried to call BL repeatedly, in news reports published at the time the P's said called the L's phones only on one day-- Sept 10, I believe.) But ironically, if all the L's had done was not talk to the P's, the lawsuit would have been tossed per what was said by the judge at the hearing. What sunk them so far as getting the suit dismissed was the statement their attorney made about hoping GP was found.
JMO

I have laid out my thinking in lots of detail in earlier threads. I haven't really changed my mind as I've seen nothing to change it. I have read the P's Complaint but need to see proof of those claims as the Complaint itself isn't evidence. But I'm not at all convinced BL told his parents what was really going on at least not early on.

My best bet is what @Laura456 suggested-- BL said he & GP had a nasty breakup. (The L's certainly must have known the couple argued alot-- everyone who knew them [except the P's] starting with when they dated in high school-- has said that. So a breakup after traveling crammed in a tiny van together would hardly be surprising.) He may have even said he knew the P's thought it was his fault and not to talk to them because that would make it worse. (It's not been a secret GP's father didn't like any of her boyfriends pretty much since she started dating. So that story would have been believable, I think.) However, BL likely said some things that made his parents worry about legal issues. For example, he may have told them he accessed their "shared" bank acct for travel expenses and as we know, legally that acct was not shared. (I have known young unmarried people to share an acct that is only in one name. I wouldn't do it but people do. And unlike in the olden days, it's pretty impossible to open small bank accts without huge fees. So couples do share.) He also was driving the van and that could have concerned them. BUT both BL & GP called it "their van" so I expect the L's thought it was jointly owned. (And BL had done all the work on it in their driveway so joint ownership would make sense.)

I suspect the L's not talking to the P's initially was because BK told them false stories. We also don't know what they'd been told when he had flown home earlier in Aug. If he talked then about them fighting alot, a breakup story would make even more sense. But later I think they wouldn't have talked to them simply based on legal advice. (Also remember, while the P's tried to call BL repeatedly, in news reports published at the time the P's said called the L's phones only on one day-- Sept 10, I believe.) But ironically, if all the L's had done was not talk to the P's, the lawsuit would have been tossed per what was said by the judge at the hearing. What sunk them so far as getting the suit dismissed was the statement their attorney made about hoping GP was found.
JMO
I appreciate your thoughtful response, truly.

I wish there were no lawsuit. I wish the P’s and L’s could now sit down together and have an honest discussion about everything that happened. I wish the L’s would join forces with the P’s to support a foundation to raise awareness about domestic violence. Help to educate the parents of both young women and young men about how to recognize the signs of a toxic relationship. Help to educate parents about the importance of communication, and what to do if ever faced with the scenario the L’s and P’s were faced with.

I wish Gabby and Brian had broken up, and were both still alive, and had grown and learned from their relationship, before it ever became violent.

It is too late for that, and I suppose it’s too late for the P’s and L’s to forgive one another and heal together.

It is all so very, very sad.

I appreciate your thoughtful response, truly.

I wish there were no lawsuit. I wish the P’s and L’s could now sit down together and have an honest discussion about everything that happened. I wish the L’s would join forces with the P’s to support a foundation to raise awareness about domestic violence. Help to educate the parents of both young women and young men about how to recognize the signs of a toxic relationship. Help to educate parents about the importance of communication, and what to do if ever faced with the scenario the L’s and P’s were faced with.

I wish Gabby and Brian had broken up, and were both still alive, and had grown and learned from their relationship, before it ever became violent.

It is too late for that, and I suppose it’s too late for the P’s and L’s to forgive one another and heal together.

It is all so very, very sad.
Agree-- it is a very sad situation in so many ways.

In summa, moo!!!
If my son came home in an automobile that he had helped adapt for an extended 'life on the road' trip without his companion who owned the vehicle, I would certainly find out why. And I would feel, no matter what reason my son had given me, that it was my obligation to share with the parents of my son's companion what I knew. Whether I believed it or not. Just out of human decency, one parent to another, is there no empathy?
And - she had lived with the Laundries. It's not like she was a casual acquaintance they had only met a few times. They should have had profound concern for her too.
Gosh, Gabby was missing! And the Laundrie parents did have some info about that. And they refused to share. Refused!
And, to my mind, Roberta's love letter certainly does not demonstrate that she is shy about giving advice. So I find it inconceivable that she would quietly bow out of this sticky situation simply because of her son's request to not interfere.
"Love is action." So they did act. They called an attorney.
Every single action these parents took was only to protect their son. They may have been well within the laws of our justice system but, certainly to my mind, it was devoid of the moral spirit with which those laws were written.

In summa, moo!!!
If my son came home in an automobile that he had helped adapt for an extended 'life on the road' trip without his companion who owned the vehicle, I would certainly find out why. And I would feel, no matter what reason my son had given me, that it was my obligation to share with the parents of my son's companion what I knew. Whether I believed it or not. Just out of human decency, one parent to another, is there no empathy?
And - she had lived with the Laundries. It's not like she was a casual acquaintance they had only met a few times. They should have had profound concern for her too.
Gosh, Gabby was missing! And the Laundrie parents did have some info about that. And they refused to share. Refused!
And, to my mind, Roberta's love letter certainly does not demonstrate that she is shy about giving advice. So I find it inconceivable that she would quietly bow out of this sticky situation simply because of her son's request to not interfere.
Every single action these parents took was only to protect their son. They may have been well within the laws of our justice system but, certainly to my mind, it was devoid of the moral spirit with which those laws were written.
I agree with everything you said 110%-

In summa, moo!!!
Well said!

Even if the L’s knew nothing …in fact, if they really did know nothing, WHY WOULD THEY REFUSE TO SPEAK?

Why wouldn't they take the P’s call and simply say something along the lines of: “we are as worried as you are about Gabby. Brian won’t tell us anything, he asked us to stay out of it.”

How hard would it have been to be decent human beings?

Well said!

Even if the L’s knew nothing …in fact, if they really did know nothing, WHY WOULD THEY REFUSE TO SPEAK?

Why wouldn't they take the P’s call and simply say something along the lines of: “we are as worried as you are about Gabby. Brian won’t tell us anything, he asked us to stay out of it.”

Apparently for BL's parents, an act of decency was far too difficult.

Well said!

YES!

And here is a crucial part: When he wrote his suicide letter, no one had found Gabby yet. There was no reason, according to Laundries to be grieving. They had just all gone camping and were one big happy family!

Yet, in his suicide letter he writes; "I am sorry to my family, this is a shock to them as well as a terrible grief."

What is he sorry for? What did he do that he feels he has to say sorry? What's the terrible shock? What is so terrible that they have to grieve, yeah why is there terrible grief?

Because Laundries knew.......

MOO

There's really only three possibilities for when that letter was written, and regardless of when, it's not a good look for RL.

Possibility A: RL wrote the letter before BL & GP left on the trip (before Jun)
This is RL's claim, and it's certainly feasible. If this is the case, though, she's still essentially telling BL that it doesn't matter what he does or what happens on this trip, she'll have his back. To me, this shows that she knew in her heart what he was capable of. She knew that things weren't right with BL & GP ("Watch people's actions to know if they love you" -- is she encouraging him to question GP's love?) and that she knew it could end very badly, in ways that would make BL uncertain where he could turn. The fact that she starts out her list of if... then statements with "If you're in jail" and "If you need to dispose of a body" rather than the less-extreme "if you say you hate my guts" I think is very telling as to her primary concerns.

Possibility B: RL wrote the letter when BL flew back to FL (Aug 16-23)
Personally, I see this as the most likely possibility because the content of the letter fits the situation at the time. BL flies back to FL from SLC five days after the DV call in Moab, leaving GP in a hotel room by herself while he supposedly (according to Bertolio) empties their storage unit. He returns six days later, and about a week later, she's dead. GP's dad didn't seem to know about the trip (I think it was in the Dr. Phil interview, when he said he bought pizza for them at the hotel), and BL's sister stops herself while talking about it in an interview. Did BL tell RL at that point about what happened in Moab? Was that why she was concerned about him ending up in jail or needing to bury a body? She could have been concerned about how volatile BL & GP's relationship had become. She may have been trying to talk him out of returning to SLC, but in this letter is telling him that, even though he was choosing to ignore her advice ("If you say you hate my guts"), she'd have his back no matter how things turned out.

Possibility C: RL wrote the letter after BL returned from ID (after Sep 1)
I see this as the second most likely scenario, and to me, the "If you need to dispose of a body" line makes it seem that RL only knows part of the story --- that she understands BL did something terrible to GP and has her suspicions about how and what happened but does not know details such as where he left GP's body. This could have been her way of trying to get him to confide in her, promising no judgment.

--------------------
Letter text for reference, bolding mine:
I just want you to remember I will always Love you, and I know you will always Love me. You are my boy. Nothing can make me stop loving you. Nothing will or could ever divide us: no matter what we do, or where we go or what we say -- we will always Love each other. If you're in jail, I will bake a cake with a file in it. If you need to dispose of a body, I will bring show up with a shovel and garbage bags. If you fly to the moon, I will be watching the skies for your re-entry. If you say you hate my guts, I'll get new guts. Remember that love is a verb, not a noun. It's not a thing, it's not words, it is actions. Watch people's actions to know if they love you -- not their words. "Therefore I am certain that neither death nor Life, nor angels nor the ruling spirits, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers from above, nor powers from below, nothing in the entire created world can separate our love. Neither hostile powers nor messengers of heaven nor monarchs of earth. Nothing has the power to separate us... " --Romans 8:38 (extended version!) (Nothing can separate us: "not hatred, not hunger, not homelessness, not threats, not even sin, not the thinkable or unthinkable can get between us.) ~Not time. Not miles and miles and miles.~

--------------------
And on another note, it bugs me how RL twists Romans 8 completely out of context. It's a section from a letter from the apostle Paul to early Christians in Rome, who were being brutally persecuted, and how -- even though they were literally being hunted down and put to death, God had not forsaken them. Not exactly the same thing as "I'll still love you, even if you kill your girlfriend."

As it is written: “For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (LINK)

I wonder about Brian Laundrie's family dynamic. I guess we will never know, but I wondered what triggered him when he got into arguments with Gabby. And he did not just get into arguments with Gabby either.

Why, in the middle of their van life trip, did Brian Laundrie return on August 17th to either put items into or take out of storage? Then Brian Laundrie returned to Gabby's hotel on August 23rd. That had to be sort of a stressor to do that in the middle of their trip or he probably would have done that before he left. What was the reasoning behind that?

Who's credit card did Brian Laundrie use illegally to buy over $1000 dollars worth of goods?

I have tried browsing the threads but could not find any answers to these questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288