Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder about Brian Laundrie's family dynamic. I guess we will never know, but I wondered what triggered him when he got into arguments with Gabby. And he did not just get into arguments with Gabby either.

Why, in the middle of their van life trip, did Brian Laundrie return on August 17th to either put items into or take out of storage? Then Brian Laundrie returned to Gabby's hotel on August 23rd. That had to be sort of a stressor to do that in the middle of their trip or he probably would have done that before he left. What was the reasoning behind that?

Who's credit card did Brian Laundrie use illegally to buy over $1000 dollars worth of goods?

I have tried browsing the threads but could not find any answers to these questions.
I can answer the last question- it was Gabby's. That was the charge LE was going after him for. I think it was a holding charge to get him off the streets while they further investigated her murder.

I wonder about Brian Laundrie's family dynamic. I guess we will never know, but I wondered what triggered him when he got into arguments with Gabby. And he did not just get into arguments with Gabby either.

Why, in the middle of their van life trip, did Brian Laundrie return on August 17th to either put items into or take out of storage? Then Brian Laundrie returned to Gabby's hotel on August 23rd. That had to be sort of a stressor to do that in the middle of their trip or he probably would have done that before he left. What was the reasoning behind that?

Who's credit card did Brian Laundrie use illegally to buy over $1000 dollars worth of goods?

I have tried browsing the threads but could not find any answers to these questions.

Brian Laundrie flew cross-country to visit his parents' home in Florida during his trip with Gabby Petito, according to the Laundrie family's lawyer, Steven Bertolini. The attorney says Laundrie flew home on August 17 and returned to Utah on August 23, four days before Petito was last seen. Laundrie flew to Florida to get some supplies and close a storage unit to save money, Bertolini told CBS News. He says Laundrie and Petito were thinking about extending their road trip.

I thought we learned it was Gabby's, early on, but I may be misremembering. I wonder who paid his airfare. And yes, I do wonder what the heck the stressors were - although it seems obvious that the DV stop in Moab was a Very Big Deal. I can't even imagine. I've had road trips where the stress got to both me and my companion, but to be publicly stopped by LE with signs of physical contact on both of them (and witnesses reporting back in Moab), would be awful.

Gabby tries to take the blame. LEO's allow that, even though she has marks on her body as well, IIRC.

Then, Brian flies back to Florida for the supposed reason of clearing out a storage unit (it's possible they had stopped paying on that unit and he really did have to clean it out or give it up - but wouldn't it have been cheaper to pay another month or two, as compared to going back?) I do remember reading that Gabby and Brian were heading for Oregon/Washington to join this new farming movement, which is still going strong, IMO (where people basically get to squat on someone else's land and everyone there helps grow crops and has access to power and water - ideal for Van Life, which is what it's designed for - and most of the landowners are Van Life afficionados as well).

IMO.

Brian Laundrie flew cross-country to visit his parents' home in Florida during his trip with Gabby Petito, according to the Laundrie family's lawyer, Steven Bertolini. The attorney says Laundrie flew home on August 17 and returned to Utah on August 23, four days before Petito was last seen. Laundrie flew to Florida to get some supplies and close a storage unit to save money, Bertolini told CBS News. He says Laundrie and Petito were thinking about extending their road trip.

I have always suspected that, when Brian flew home, he took the keys to the van with him.

I believe that Gabby was a victim of DV, regardless of whether she herself knew it or the extent of it. Likely she thought she could adjust her behavior enough to placate him, but the life lesson she never got to live long enough to learn was that it wasn't her job to manage Brian's temper. That was his job. (And ultimately he failed.) She could never be compliant enough, cooperative enough, sacrificial enough ---

She didn't know that.

If only she'd had the insight and courage to tell her dad that Brian had bailed on her. Probably took the money, the keys and the food with him. Probably Gabby didn't want to let anyone down -- travel over, relationship over, blog over, dream over.... so she put on the happy face.... and probably begged Brian to come back. There's a cycle to these things and she didn't invent it.

Brian should never have come back. Should've stayed with his mama, and let Gabby figure out how to get home --

He probably got Gabby to apologize for his angry retreat. That's what gaslighters demand. Get you to apologize for what you made them do. Sigh.

If only she'd known the whole cycle of DV, how to recognize it....

But you treat a dog bad enough, you can eave the gate open and it'll stay -- fear? hope? hunger? approval?

I think tensions were high -- scrimpng on food and groceries, volatility spilling into the public domain--

Last straw for Gabby? Did she threaten to break up? Then regret it. For all the reasons --

So he took off...

When he returned, I think he had three things -- the key to the van, a letter from his mom and confidence -- confident that Gabby wasn't going anywhere unless Brian said Gabby could go somewhere.

How many cases of HDV culminate in the abused saying something the abuser doesn't want to hear. Hands to thr throat to make her stop (talking). Followed by blunt force to stop the gurgling.

Tragedy beyond tragedy. Every time.

^<snipped for focus>

My guess? An enabling family dynamic where morals, responsibility, and accountability were sorely lacking.

jmo
My impression is that the Laundrie's are hardworking Americans who started their own business and work hard to make ends meet. Brian Laundrie was an adult and chose his actions. His sister, on the other hand, is married, owns a home, raising two sweet children. I am not sure why we are specuating on the "morality" of the parents or their responsibiity and accountability. They may be more private than some on here would like them to be, but no different than many other American families.

Because many feel the specific actions that the Laundries took in the wake of Gabby Petito's death were immoral and lacked any sense of responsibility or accountability.
I think their actions were more likely two people who were trying to deal with a crisis situation in their family and did the best they could under the circumstances. Not everyone reacts the same way to a crisis situation. Many feel they are being judged harshly for actions that likely had no intention of doing harm to the P family, but trying to deal with their own family crisis at the time.

I think their actions were more likely two people who were trying to deal with a crisis situation in their family and did the best they could under the circumstances. Not everyone reacts the same way to a crisis situation. Many feel they are being judged harshly for actions that likely had no intention of doing harm to the P family, but trying to deal with their own family crisis at the time.
I’d be more inclined to agree with you if they hadn’t blocked the P’s numbers whilst Gabby was missing. Gabby lived with them, she wasn’t a stranger.

I think their actions were more likely two people who were trying to deal with a crisis situation in their family and did the best they could under the circumstances.

Perhaps they did what was best for their son from a legal standpoint. But do you really feel they did the best they could morally? Because you asked why people were questioning the Laundrie's morality.

I know that there are people that believe that responsibility to your own blood relations trump any other consideration, and I just can't agree with that.

Last edited:
I’d be more inclined to agree with you if they hadn’t blocked the P’s numbers whilst Gabby was missing. Gabby lived with them, she wasn’t a stranger.
We don't have proof "they" did that (or even that it was done by anyone. That's a claim that's been made but must be proven.) Per interviews given at the time the P's called the L's only on Sept 10, not on other days. So lots to see during the eventual civil trial.

All we know now about manipulating phones is what the FBI report claimed BL did. It's not as though it wouldn't have been easy for BL to block a number on his mom's phone. (Perhaps some phones pop up with lists of blocked numbers whenever they are used but mine doesn't. So how would RL have known?) It's also quite possible BL convinced his parents he and GP simply had broken up (at least early on when he first came home.) I don't know that most parents of an adult son would want to get in the middle of that and talk with the adult woman's parents. So there are lots of reasons IMO to reserve judgment on the phone thing but I know opinions vary.
JMO

I still say that the L's AND THEIR ATTORNEY made a big mistake by not getting Brian to turn himself in rather than hide out in their home. They knew he was involved in some way. They would still have their son if they had been able to talk him in to talking. He would be alive, and maybe in jail, but alive. The way that our legal system works, if he had claimed accident or heat of passion manslaughter, he would be out of jail in like 5-10 years. I think the maximum sentence is 15 years. He could have received help that he needed.

The problem I have with the parents is they controlled the narrative. His sister even said his parents tried to act like nothing was going on. Face the ugly truth and let him face the consequences of his actions.

I could not agree with you less---their ignoring the Petito family, who was looking for their missing daughter is, IMO, inexcusable and cold-hearted- at the very least.

We don't have proof "they" did that (or even that it was done by anyone. That's a claim that's been made but must be proven.) Per interviews given at the time the P's called the L's only on Sept 10, not on other days. So lots to see during the eventual civil trial.

All we know now about manipulating phones is what the FBI report claimed BL did. It's not as though it wouldn't have been easy for BL to block a number on his mom's phone. (Perhaps some phones pop up with lists of blocked numbers whenever they are used but mine doesn't. So how would RL have known?) It's also quite possible BL convinced his parents he and GP simply had broken up (at least early on when he first came home.) I don't know that most parents of an adult son would want to get in the middle of that and talk with the adult woman's parents. So there are lots of reasons IMO to reserve judgment on the phone thing but I know opinions vary.
JMO
BBM - For me, that comes back to the letter again. It’s bizarre to write about helping BL cover up a murder and help him in jail whilst also claiming ignorance to concern over Gabby’s welfare and wellbeing. It’s just too many coincidences for me, I don’t like coincidences.

I do really value your input, NCwatcher. Thank you for continuing to make me think!

Note:
Nichole Schmidt as well as Gabby's Dad were trying to locate both children. They couldn't. They kept trying to reach out to Laundries. As far as Schmidt/Petitos knew BOTH kids were missing, and they needed to know if Laundries heard from them.

Yet, According to the lawsuit, Roberta blocked Nicole on her cell phone and on Facebook. And they spoke with an attorney and sent him a retainer on Sept. 2.

My impression is that the Laundrie's are hardworking Americans who started their own business and work hard to make ends meet. Brian Laundrie was an adult and chose his actions. His sister, on the other hand, is married, owns a home, raising two sweet children. I am not sure why we are specuating on the "morality" of the parents or their responsibiity and accountability. They may be more private than some on here would like them to be, but no different than many other American families.
RBBM
Sundog, they are, first of all, different than many other American (or any other country's families) in that they had a murderer amongst them. So that, in of itself, begs speculation on the "morality' of the parents' actions.
Had the parents been the least bit helpful or compassionate. rather than solely focused on protecting their son to the exclusion of Gabby's family and Gabby's safety, this spotlight probably wouldn't be happening.Their lazer focus on defending their own family at the expense of others is what brings the most criticism.
What went wrong should be examined, in my opinion.
Did it work for them or not? No it didn't. Sadly, they lost their son anyway.
Although I am sensitive and have sympathy for their loss, I don't believe that excludes the need to try to understand what mistakes in judgment led up to the loss of two beautiful lives. Lessons learned.
And how great that the insult of morality is so great that Gabby's parents have enough standing to bring this before the court. May He be with them.

JMO
There is NO explanation to excuse why they didn't speak with Gabby's family. Red flags were everywhere. Brian home with van - No Gabby. Fight? Well then - make sure she's okay. Even if you think your son's justified in leaving her high and dry. If you know the circumstances that she was left alone, you should still be considerate of her safety!
MOO

There is NO explanation to excuse why they didn't speak with Gabby's family. Red flags were everywhere. Brian home with van - No Gabby. Fight? Well then - make sure she's okay. Even if you think your son's justified in leaving her high and dry. If you know the circumstances that she was left alone, you should still be considerate of her safety!
MOO
Obviously opinions vary on this topic. None of us know the facts at this point. No evidence of the P's claims has yet been presented in court (the Complaint itself is not evidence.) So all we have are opinions. That's going to be true until the case is heard in court.
JMO

And herein lies the crux of the situation and why morals are being brought up.
Thinking only of one's self.

Obviously opinions vary on this topic. None of us know the facts at this point. No evidence of the P's claims has yet been presented in court (the Complaint itself is not evidence.) So all we have are opinions. That's going to be true until the case is heard in court.
JMO
Watcher, we will never know all the facts. Only Gabby and Brian know those. But I will be disallusioned if there is any fact that can be presented in court that excuses the heartlessness of Brian's parents' actions. Obviously, MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken