Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they knew he killed someone, they would've hired a better lawyer...

This comment is interesting because my opinion has always been that Bertolino found himself in over his head with this. I think they knew something bad happened but not murder. If they knew BL had committed murder, I believe they would have called Bertolino for a recommendation for a good defense lawyer, since they knew him and trusted him. But retaining Bertolino seemed as if they just knew they needed the family lawyer for something. But then that something turned into something that Bertolino (I don't believe) was prepared or experienced enough to handle. I really think that if they had a more experienced lawyer familiar with dealing with the media, we would not have this lawsuit.

She had about 20,000 in her bank account, however, the money issue was traveling with them all along: free of charge camp sites, using free wi-fi at restaurants/cafes, the somewhat strange shopping trip to Whole Foods (did the buy something and - if so - pass by the cashier...), him stating to the police they would have little money and he cannot pay for a hotel room, the issue with the payment of the restaurant bill on the day she probably died...

On the other hand a flight back home for him and a one week hotel stay for her. She even asked her father to order food - food delivery she could have easily paid for on her own. Was she trying to hide this?

I am wondering if the stay in the hotel may have a caused the final argument if that was something he had not been aware of and he somehow noted it on her last day?

He blew out 1,000 when driving back to Florida, so his concerns of money were no longer applicable at that time.
I think I was trying to figure out some type of a trigger for the arguments between Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie. Until you can hear an argument between two people it is difficult to figure it out.

Sometimes money problems can be a trigger for an argument or who is paying for what. I know that has been an issue with other couples.

Brian Laundrie is hard to figure out. At the police traffic stop, Gabby tells the officers that Brian said she will not make it as a blogger/vlogger. Yet, according to what I read, he helped set up the van for the trip. Besides the obvious criticisms of the police for not going back and talking to the main witness, this is where I think police missed a sign. If they had discussed a little more and figured out that Gabby Petito's blog/vlog was the van life they were currently traveling in, it should have been concerning that at least one of them wanted the trip to end.

I think Brian Laundrie does not have money, yet he is taking plane trips home to clean out storage space, which I thought was strange to do in the middle of the trip. He is offering 200 dollars for a short ride and he is spending 1000 dollars on the way back to Florida. But I think the 1000 dollars was the improper use of credit/debit card, which according to another poster, was Gabby Petito's debit/credit card.

Maybe it was two people with too much anxiety put together and Brian Laundrie lost control?

If two people both know they are going to go on this trip and they both know they need to save money, how much did Gabby Petito save when they left and how much money had Brian Laundrie saved when they left? If one person is completely into it but the other is lukewarm to the idea, the latter is probably not going to be saving as much money as it is not something they consider to be as important.

Guessing what Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie got into arguments about is a mystery. And it will probably remain one.

At the police traffic stop, Gabby tells the officers that Brian said she will not make it as a blogger/vlogger. Yet, according to what I read, he helped set up the van for the trip.
She said he thinks she cannot make it....she did not have lots of content or many followers even though they were on the road for quite a while at that time. It takes a lot of work and time to keep such a blog running and attract followers. I once saw a documentary from a travel blogger couple in Portugal and they spoke about it. There is no much "fun activities" or free time, you search for content, good spots, and good photo ops most of the time - then need to put that up nicely online interact with followers AND figure out a way to make money with the posts. This couple also noted how stressful it was on their relationship and both were active parts on the blog.
In this case the blog was her baby, not his interest - he wanted to hike, experience nature and get to that farming project.
It seems weird, but IMO they never really figured out what the other persons real reason for the trip was and that became the issue. She wanted to focus on her blog, create content and eventually put it up online - he wanted to enjoy the trip as they did it the year before, hiking, camping and that is it. He probably thought that she will lose interest over time, and she probably thought he will be all on it when he sees her success.
Had they both been open about their different intents - this would have been the end of the trip (and most likely also the end of the relationship).
it should have been concerning that at least one of them wanted the trip to end.
Who wanted to end the trip in Moab? To my understanding both wanted to continue with the trip.

It also could have been done when he got home the last time on Sept 1. Remember the S/P's said they tried to call both G&B soon after G stopped calling her mother daily as she had been doing. But they didn't try to reach RL until something like Sept 10. According to the FBI report, BL used GP's phone to make it look like she was using it. It's not that hard for me to imagine he might have blocked calls on his mother's phone too. Had plenty of time to do it.
I am glad you also noted that the S/P's according to their statements at the beginning of the search did not try to reach the L's before Sep 10. As they were unclear about both whereabouts (GP and BL), they tried to reach her by phone, I would think they also tried to reach him by phone. At that time he would have been alerted that the family is actively on the lookout for GP, and it would make perfect sense he went on to actively block any approach towards his family.

I am glad you also noted that the S/P's according to their statements at the beginning of the search did not try to reach the L's before Sep 10. As they were unclear about both whereabouts (GP and BL), they tried to reach her by phone, I would think they also tried to reach him by phone. At that time he would have been alerted that the family is actively on the lookout for GP, and it would make perfect sense he went on to actively block any approach towards his family.
RSBM

So true!
Would the S/P’s know if any of their messages reached RL or CL?
That would certainly provide a clue to who knew what and when.

RSBM

So true!
Would the S/P’s know if any of their messages reached RL or CL?
That would certainly provide a clue to who knew what and when.
Yes. But I think to fully know what was known by the L's from the S/P's calls/texts it would be necessary not only to know 1) what the Sept 10 messages (text and/or voice) actually said 2) if they were actually delivered and also 3) if they were accessed. I know I've overlooked texts and an occasional voicemail until long after the fact. I've also decided not to listen to particular voicemails that were left (like obvious spam) although blocking was not involved.

Also in interviews early on, the S/P's spoke of trying to call RL, CL, and Cassie on Sept 10. At one point Cassie publicly denied finding any such unanswered calls on her phone log. Gabby Petito Case: Brian Laundrie's Sister, Cassie, Claims She Didn't Get Phone Calls from Joseph Petito

The Complaint states RL blocked them on her phone and in FB. CL and Cassie aren't mentioned in that regard. So I'm not sure who was called. Is the claim now only RL was called? Cassie said maybe they didn't have the right phone number for her & that seems plausible to me. (The number for a much older sibling of their daughter's boyfriend? G&B had not lived with her for awhile.) Would the S/P's likely have had a separate number for CL? Maybe, maybe not.
JMO

Merry Piglets restaurant -

I think this event was a major trigger. Him flipping out over the bill and GP apologizing to the staff. It probably was not so much about the food bill as it was about BL’s ego.
She dared to override him probably in his mind.
When that type of personality is wounded they have cognitive dissonance. The super rage is because they only see one side. Their side. Most couples argue but they remember even though they are not happy with their person, they do love them.

MOO

Last edited:
She said he thinks she cannot make it....she did not have lots of content or many followers even though they were on the road for quite a while at that time. It takes a lot of work and time to keep such a blog running and attract followers. I once saw a documentary from a travel blogger couple in Portugal and they spoke about it. There is no much "fun activities" or free time, you search for content, good spots, and good photo ops most of the time - then need to put that up nicely online interact with followers AND figure out a way to make money with the posts. This couple also noted how stressful it was on their relationship and both were active parts on the blog.
In this case the blog was her baby, not his interest - he wanted to hike, experience nature and get to that farming project.
It seems weird, but IMO they never really figured out what the other persons real reason for the trip was and that became the issue. She wanted to focus on her blog, create content and eventually put it up online - he wanted to enjoy the trip as they did it the year before, hiking, camping and that is it. He probably thought that she will lose interest over time, and she probably thought he will be all on it when he sees her success.
Had they both been open about their different intents - this would have been the end of the trip (and most likely also the end of the relationship).

Who wanted to end the trip in Moab? To my understanding both wanted to continue with the trip.

When it came to ending the trip, I think you wrote what I meant: "this would have been the end of the trip (and most likely also the end of the relationship)." That is what I meant, not that they either of them wanted to end the trip in Moab, UT.

I mean that symbolically Brian Laundrie's statement to Gabby Petito about her not making it as a blogger/vlogger was going to make continuing the trip in that van together very difficult on their relationship.

I do not know what to make of Brian Laundrie other than he seemed to be covert in hiding his abusing Gabby Petito. The altercation at the restaurant Merry Piglets is interesting though. From what I have seen, abusive people will often reveal their true self by also verbally abusing cashiers, waiters, and other service people when they feel that they have been wronged. It seems rare that they would only abuse their partner verbally. I wonder if that was a one time incident at Merry Piglets or if he has acted that way before at a store or restaurant.

I think some of his anxiety might revolve around money. According to the traffic stop, he told the officers he does not even have a cell phone. But I am guessing as to the true characters of Brian Laundrie and Gabby Petito. The people that actually knew Brian Laundrie and Gabby Petito are going to be the best references as to their character.

In one of their early van life videos, it's stated that after their first trip in the cramped Nissan, they knew they needed a larger vehicle for future travel. Hence the van. It's also stated the reason for doing the "travel vlog" was so they could travel all the time without ever having to have regular jobs. At one point GP said something like without making money with a vlog, they would have to work regular jobs. So initially, they may have told each other they had the same ideas about the trip. And perhaps that was even true.

That said, I've never been sure that it was really GP's "life-long dream" to actually be a van life travel vlogger. I do know (as you say here) it's not necessarily easy to make money vlogging. Many WS posts in much earlier threads suggested the couple's apparent plan didn't seem realistic-- that they should have worked on setting up sponsors before the trip, should even have had sponsors during the outfitting of the van, but the couple seemed to think many sponsors would come to them along the way. (I don't know how it works but some of the early posters here seemed to.)

All that said, I'm really not sure how to interpret the reported Moab difference of opinion. Because their money-making plan seemed unrealistic to me (although as I said I don't get the whole internet influencer stuff and rarely watch those kinds of videos), I do think it's possible BL had realized the way it was going, they weren't going to make enough money vlogging to live a perpetual travel lifestyle. So rather than spend full days during the current trip in cafes that had free WiFi so they could fiddle with video, he wanted to do things like hike as those opportunities would be coming to an end. It's possible, even likely IMO, he said to GP that she wasn't going to make it as a travel vlogger and so they couldn't be permanent nomads/travelers. (Their reported plan to go to the Pacific Northwest and join that farming/"commune" movement suggests a possible temporary end to influencer efforts.) But she disagreed. She may have still thought they could pull it off. She may have thought it was too early to give up. She may have secretly agreed but wasn't willing to back down and to openly agree. She may have thought BL wasn't supporting her efforts. She may have thought lots of things we'll likely never know. Included in things we'll never know IMO is whether GP had a burning passion to vlog (as some have suggested) or whether she'd decided that was a likely means to her desired travel lifestyle (as she seemed to say in the early video.)
JMO

In one of their early van life videos, it's stated that after their first trip in the cramped Nissan, they knew they needed a larger vehicle for future travel. Hence the van. It's also stated the reason for doing the "travel vlog" was so they could travel all the time without ever having to have regular jobs. At one point GP said something like without making money with a vlog, they would have to work regular jobs. So initially, they may have told each other they had the same ideas about the trip. And perhaps that was even true.

That said, I've never been sure that it was really GP's "life-long dream" to actually be a van life travel vlogger. I do know (as you say here) it's not necessarily easy to make money vlogging. Many WS posts in much earlier threads suggested the couple's apparent plan didn't seem realistic-- that they should have worked on setting up sponsors before the trip, should even have had sponsors during the outfitting of the van, but the couple seemed to think many sponsors would come to them along the way. (I don't know how it works but some of the early posters here seemed to.)

All that said, I'm really not sure how to interpret the reported Moab difference of opinion. Because their money-making plan seemed unrealistic to me (although as I said I don't get the whole internet influencer stuff and rarely watch those kinds of videos), I do think it's possible BL had realized the way it was going, they weren't going to make enough money vlogging to live a perpetual travel lifestyle. So rather than spend full days during the current trip in cafes that had free WiFi so they could fiddle with video, he wanted to do things like hike as those opportunities would be coming to an end. It's possible, even likely IMO, he said to GP that she wasn't going to make it as a travel vlogger and so they couldn't be permanent nomads/travelers. (Their reported plan to go to the Pacific Northwest and join that farming/"commune" movement suggests a possible temporary end to influencer efforts.) But she disagreed. She may have still thought they could pull it off. She may have thought it was too early to give up. She may have secretly agreed but wasn't willing to back down and to openly agree. She may have thought BL wasn't supporting her efforts. She may have thought lots of things we'll likely never know. Included in things we'll never know IMO is whether GP had a burning passion to vlog (as some have suggested) or whether she'd decided that was a likely means to her desired travel lifestyle (as she seemed to say in the early video.)
JMO
I agree with what Gabby Petito's mother said, that at the time that was what Gabby was doing, the van life. She was young and probably trying to find her way in life. Whether she would have continued with it, I don't know.
She was only on this trip for less than two months if the July 2nd departure date is correct. I think this van life stuff was Gabby Petito's passion at this time in her life. No one knows whether she would have continued with it.

I do not know anything about the van life. I did not even think it was about money at first. I thought they wanted to go on another trip, but this time she wanted to document it further with her fiance. He wanted to save money with the van suggestion instead of taking a Nissan Sentra. But the fact that the first trip went ok, but this one did not says maybe something about this trip was different. Maybe she did want to start this van life blog and actually try to make a living doing this while traveling? Maybe Brian Laundrie wanted her to pay attention to him instead of her blogging work?

I watched an Inside Edition video about two people living the van life. They said it is stressful and that you have to be willing to forgive quickly when you are living so close to someone else in a small van.

At the Moab traffic/domestic abuse stop, Brian Laundrie suggested one of the reasons for their arguments in the van was that Gabby Petito was very much about cleanliness and he was sort of dirty when he was in the van. We do not know much about Gabby Petito either. Her friend said that it takes a lot to get her that worked up(at the Moab domestic abuse stop). I can understand why the officer described her as sweet. I wondered if she really was that way behind closed doors? Then I watch the van life video and how she seems to be so affectionate with her fiance. She comes off as very genuine so if she is different, it would be a surprise.

There are probably so many things we do not know that would shed a lot of light on their relationship.

One thing that stood out to me was that at the Moab stop, Brian Laundrie said that the reason for their argument was that Gabby Petito needed to calm down outside this Moonflower place. Brian said he told Gabby that what she was doing was getting public. Yet the witness called 911 to report him slapping her. He made it public. Basically Brian Laundrie twists things around to make a situation seem a certain way. It reminds me of when someone makes a rude remark, the other person gets angered or flustered by it, but the same person who made the rude remark then says the problem is you need to lighten up.

Until you know the whole story about how two people are behind closed doors and how they interact with each other, it is hard to come to conclusions. I did notice something on Gabby Petito's arm though. She had a tatoo. I wondered about what influenced it. The tatoo read:

Let it be.

I mean...in all honesty... what will this change? Yes it's interesting to know what the conversations were like, but after the hubub is over, Gabby and Brian will still be dead.
You never know what one experience or trial may change someone else. Example: if there is someone out there and they are thinking of harming their mate or God for bid kill their mate, maybe going thru all these conversations and or the trial will cause them not to do that and get help instead.

There's a movie quote: with every breath we take it changes our lives.

These conversations could change anyone. And that's just one benefit.

It's not going to change the reality, but I do think it's all part of their grieving. Wanting peace, wanting answers, wanting to blame someone. They know a lot of the story, but not all of the story. There is still a blank spot that they don't have details about and they want to fill in those blanks with facts.

DBM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members