Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #88

“A lot of things ran through my head. Possibly they got in a fight, and you know, maybe she’s going to press charges against him or something? I didn’t know,” she responded.
This is something that I thought happened when BL called his parents. He didn't tell them that he killed Gabby and they assumed they got in a fight and she left.

Just read through RL's deposition at this link, and here's the things I noted:
- RL has some conflicting answers regarding how much she knew about the trip beforehand
- BL's return to FL on Aug 17 was bc RL suggested he empty the storage unit to save money, because their trip was going longer than planned
- BL's family did NOT pay for BL's plane tickets for that trip (so who did?)
- RL & BL talked on the phone for 57 minutes on Aug 5
- BL called RL and talked for 25 minutes on Aug 14 (two days after Moab incident)
- RL called BL on Aug 16
- RL called attorney SB on Aug 16
- RL called attorney SB on Aug 26
- BL called RL on Aug 28 at 4:18p, 5:38p, 7:30p
- BL called RL on Aug 29 at 3:20p for 54 minutes and at the end, he sounded "upset" about something; CL immediately called attorney SB after that phone call
- RL states that she did NOT ask BL at all about GP after his return to FL because attorney SB told her not to
- On Aug 29, RL sent BL an email about cleaning stains on t-shirts with Gabby's Tide-stick

Download this PDF

Oh wow. I hadn't seen her deposition before, but there are a lot of very interesting details in there.

Here's the relevant section about the email. We don't get the exact wording, but the context is quite telling...

Q. (BY MR. REILLY) I'm going to show you what's been marked as Plaintiffs Exhibit 8. That's an e-mail from you to Brian, is it not?
A. Yes.
Q. And the date of that e-mail is August 29th of 2021, correct?
A. Yes.
Q. And that's the date that you learned that Gabby was gone?
A. Oh, let me just read it. I don't -- I don't remember seeing this. This is the date I learned Gabby was gone? Oh, okay. Yeah, I remember this. We were -- yes. I - this is August 29th. I thought I was at the race on that day. Maybe I had come home.
Q. August 29th was a Sunday. That was the day --
A. So I was home by Sunday, yeah.
Q. Okay. Why would you on the date that you learned that your son needed a lawyer and he was frantic and Gabby was gone, why would you send an e-mail about t-shirts?
A. You know, I don't know. This is at 1:17, and I guess I talked to Brian later? And at 1:171 was just Googling t-shirts. I must have spoken to Brian later. I don't remember what time the call was.
Q. Why would you mention using Gabby's Tide stick to get something out of -- a stain out of a shirt?
A. Because she was so funny with her Tide sticks. It was a joke because she just loved —- if you had a stain, she'd whip out her Tide stick and she gave everybody a Tide stick, and so that was my little joke and that it was funny. My husband stained his t-shirt and that was my little joke. We should try one of Gab's Tide sticks. She loved her Tide sticks. I think she bought them in cases and gave them out to people.
Q. You told me that you rarely sent e-mails to your son, so why this e-mail on this date about a stain in a shirt?
A. I know it's such a coincidence. I don't know. I guess I was looking for t-shirts for my husband. I remember looking for t-shirts for my husband and, as a matter of fact, I don't remember this e-mail, but recently when the FBI released to you all our e-mails, this one came up and I thought, oh, I forgot all about that one, and I didn't see the e-mail. All I had was the pictures that I sent, and I remembered looking up pictures of t-shirts, debating on maybe why should I spend money on a shirt when it would be more special if Brian drew it? Because I had gotten - for the previous birthday or Father's Day I got my husband a t-shirt with his favorite car, and he stained it with ice cream.
Q. Were you telling Brian how to get a blood stain out of a t-shirt?
A. No.
Q. So it's a coincidence it was sent the same day he told you that he murdered -- that Gabby was gone?
A. Yes.
MR. MELTZ: Object to the form.
THE WITNESS: Oh.
MR. MELTZ: You can answer.
THE WITNESS: Yes.

This is something that I thought happened when BL called his parents. He didn't tell them that he killed Gabby and they assumed they got in a fight and she left.

Not left, but 'gone'... two different actions. And, one assumes Roberta thought, 'gone' on foot, hoofing it out of the park, all the way to Casper, ( so that Brian could lounge around in comfort and safety in her own van, which she gifted to him , just for the hell of it , because reasons, ) to where the bus stop was, then a bus to the train station in Idaho, or wherever, and just kept on riding the rails into infinity.. gone, gone, gone. She was so funny like that, probably dishing out Tide sticks to the passengers , her little joke, you know... .

Not left, but 'gone'... two different actions. And, one assumes Roberta thought, 'gone' on foot, hoofing it out of the park, all the way to Casper, ( so that Brian could lounge around in comfort and safety in her own van, which she gifted to him , just for the hell of it , because reasons, ) to where the bus stop was, then a bus to the train station in Idaho, or wherever, and just kept on riding the rails into infinity.. gone, gone, gone. She was so funny like that, probably dishing out Tide sticks to the passengers , her little joke, you know... .
Left on foot? Uber, hitch hike. Not implausible JMO.

Left on foot? Uber, hitch hike. Not implausible JMO.
The Laundries can try getting around the meaning of "gone" by taking out Merriam-Webster and pointing out all the different dictionary definitions. But you don't spend $25,000 to retain a lawyer because your girlfriend left you.

In my opinion it's going to be hard for a jury to swallow that the parents were clueless about what their son did when you put together Brian's words + the 20 calls they exchanged over the next couple of days + his immediately returning home + paying a 5-figure retainer to hire a Wyoming law firm + the theft of Gabby's van + Roberta's Tide stick email + the Laundrie's refusal to respond to any of the Petito's attempts to contact them, and so on.

The Laundries can try getting around the meaning of "gone" by taking out Merriam-Webster and pointing out all the different dictionary definitions. But you don't spend $25,000 to retain a lawyer because your girlfriend left you.

In my opinion it's going to be hard for a jury to swallow that the parents were clueless about what their son did when you put together Brian's words + the 20 calls they exchanged over the next couple of days + his immediately returning home + paying a 5-figure retainer to hire a Wyoming law firm + the theft of Gabby's van + Roberta's Tide stick email + the Laundrie's refusal to respond to any of the Petito's attempts to contact them, and so on.
The big stumbling block for the Laundries, and it just lies there , steaming away thru this civil suite, is they advised their lawyer to release a statement wishing the Petito's all the best and hoping Gabby would be found. They wanted to play both ends against the middle, keep Brian's involvement with Gabby's death secret and yet appear to be concerned puzzled citizens. Causing undue emotional agony to the Petito's which is what they are banging on about. Hard to deny the Petito's have handle on it, there.

I know the sister is not in the frame, but this is what she said...and she appeared to be speaking for her family, she actually says so.. . ' "Obviously me and my family want Gabby to be found safe," Cassie Laundrie told ABC America. "She's like a sister and my children love her, and all I want is for her to come home safe and found and this to be just a big misunderstanding." Projecting as a puzzled, concerned citizen......

But there was no misunderstanding whatsoever.

Both Christopher and Roberta Laundrie conceded in depositions for a civil lawsuit that they had concerns for Petito's welfare after the conversations.

Petito's father, in a fiery deposition of his own, called Laundrie a "piece of s---" who was "raised by pieces of s---."

Link posted above

The big stumbling block for the Laundries, and it just lies there , steaming away thru this civil suite, is they advised their lawyer to release a statement wishing the Petito's all the best and hoping Gabby would be found. They wanted to play both ends against the middle, keep Brian's involvement with Gabby's death secret and yet appear to be concerned puzzled citizens. Causing undue emotional agony to the Petito's which is what they are banging on about. Hard to deny the Petito's have handle on it, there.

I know the sister is not in the frame, but this is what she said...and she appeared to be speaking for her family, she actually says so.. . ' "Obviously me and my family want Gabby to be found safe," Cassie Laundrie told ABC America. "She's like a sister and my children love her, and all I want is for her to come home safe and found and this to be just a big misunderstanding." Projecting as a puzzled, concerned citizen......

But there was no misunderstanding whatsoever.
Sister gets a pass from me. I don’t think she knew. I expect there remains a deep rift.

JMO

This is apropos of nothing, but I was reading Chris Laundrie's transcript and I found this exchange pretty weird.

Q. All right. Your daughter, Cassandra. Where does she currently live?
A. In Lakewood Ranch here in Florida.
Q. Is she married?
A. Yes.
Q. Does she still go by "Cassandra Laundrie" or does she have a different name?
A. I don't even know. I don't know what name she takes.
Q. Is she married?
A. Yeah.
Q. What's her husband's name?
A. It's Jim Lutz.
Q. Jim Lutz?
A. Yeah.
Q. And you don't know if she's taken his married name?
A. No.
Q. They have children?
A. Yes.
Q. How many children?
A. Two.
Q. And do they go by "Lutz"?
A. I have no idea.
Q. Do you not have a relationship with Cassandra?
A. No, I have a relationship, but it's something - I just don't know that. You know, maybe she does, maybe she doesn't. I would have no reason to ask her about that, so.
Q. Did you attend her wedding?
A. Yes.
Q. Okay. And you don't know if they announced that she was now Mrs. Lutz?
A. No. It was a - no.

I don't know even what it means. Is there bad blood between him and his daughter? <modsnip> Is he just being argumentative with opposing counsel?

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
This is apropos of nothing, but I was reading Chris Laundrie's transcript and I found this detail pretty weird.

Q. All right. Your daughter, Cassandra. Where does she currently live?
A. In Lakewood Ranch here in Florida.
Q. Is she married?
A. Yes.
Q. Does she still go by "Cassandra Laundrie" or does she have a different name?
A. I don't even know. I don't know what name she takes.
Q. Is she married?
A. Yeah.
Q. What's her husband's name?
A. It's Jim Lutz.
Q. Jim Lutz?
A. Yeah.
Q. And you don't know if she's taken his married name?
A. No.
Q. They have children?
A. Yes.
Q. How many children?
A. Two.
Q. And do they go by "Lutz"?
A. I have no idea.
Q. Do you not have a relationship with Cassandra?
A. No, I have a relationship, but it's something - I just don't know that. You know, maybe she does, maybe she doesn't. I would have no reason to ask her about that, so.
Q. Did you attend her wedding?
A. Yes.
Q. Okay. And you don't know if they announced that she was now Mrs. Lutz?
A. No. It was a - no.

I don't know even what it means. Is there bad blood between him and his daughter? <modsnip> Is he just being argumentative with opposing counsel?

<modsnip>
Good god, is that culturally normal?? I am in different culture so it sounds completely off to me, but is this a regular thing, in Florida?... Am I to understand he does not know his only grandchildren's surname?.. ' and do they go by Lutz'....' I Have No Idea'.... (??????)

Last edited by a moderator:

If they'd merely had a fight, which was common between them, why the need to hire a lawyer? I smell BS.

Good god, is that culturally normal?? I am in different culture so it sounds completely off to me, but is this a regular thing, in Florida?... Am I to understand he does not know his only grandchildren's surname?.. ' and do they go by Lutz'....' I Have No Idea'.... (??????)

No. Not normal.

I see it as he is not close to her at all to not know her name. If he mailed her a card for mother's day or her birthday, etc....he would know her last name. If he introduced her to anyone he would know her last name.

Your name is your identity, to not know your own daughter's true identity is neglectful, not nice actually in my opinion.

Both Christopher and Roberta Laundrie conceded in depositions for a civil lawsuit that they had concerns for Petito's welfare after the conversations.

Petito's father, in a fiery deposition of his own, called Laundrie a "piece of s---" who was "raised by pieces of s---."

Link posted above
Hi cool cats, can you please provide a post number or poster name or hint, for Gabby's Dad's deposition? thank you.

I will not be surprised if a jury will find for the plaintiffs.

All they have to do is create an atmosphere that will cause the jury to dislike the Laundries actions. They don't have to provide solid evidence that they knew Gabby was dead when Brian made the phone call saying she was gone. JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back