Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's on the west coast too by Tampa. So, it's not even like he can go to Bimini easily.

Possible he could go out to sea, sure? Likely? No. I’d imagine he’d need sailing skills for that even if he was just in a cheap blow up boat. Granted Cuban refugees manage to make the 90 or so miles to Fl with less. I still think it’s doubtful given what we know about him. If he was ex-miltary or had some sort of extensive background with a lot of training…..I’d say plausible. Realistically? Unless he’s getting aid from someone willing to drive him out of state or arrange some sort of travel…..he hasn’t made it more than 50 miles max of his parents house. MOO.

Last edited:
When Florida is involved, I try not to rule anything out. The heat and humidity aren't the issue (the whole south feels like that), it's swamp gas or something. Alligator poo poisoning? Curse of the Seminole Nation?

North Point is between Tampa and Ft Meyers on the Gulf coast. Getting out on the Gulf would take no effort at all if you have the means. The Coast Guard doesn't care if you are trying to float away from the US.
The countries you land in may, though or expect a roll of cash to look the other way.

100% agreed, but from what I've seen, the mental attitude makes all of the difference. There are people who like to sleep out under the stars on just a tarp, and people who like the idea of sleeping out under the stars on just a tarp. I think both BL and GP were the latter. I wish that didn't sound so judgmental, because more than once when I was their age I got in over my head in a wilderness situation because of overconfidence and over-estimating my abilities. But in this case, I think both of them were at heart not ready for the kind of privations they had to face as part of a free van life.

Also, primitive camping is really easy if you are close to civilization and rescue. When you're fifteen hours away from the next human settlement it's a different story. I think BL was a capable car camper and day hiker and that's as far as it goes. I haven't seen anything to indicate he was more capable of wilderness survival than that.

And I don't think BL was much interested in being rescued. Still isn't.

How do we know he didn't have a sleeping bag? I can pack one of my sleeping bags into a very small pouch. There are people thruhiking teh appalachian trail with packs smaller than a kids school bag.

MB in her Tiktok video said that the guy she picked up said that he had been out for the past three nights camping on the Snake River with just a tarp. His pack looked really empty and MB asked him again if he had any 0ther supplies like water or a sleeping bag and he said no, just the tarp. It was a major part of why she found him so memorable and suspicious.

The FBI is responsible for closing the Spread Creek area earlier tonight in a search for Gabby. Several agencies are involved. This suggests a significant reason for doing this.

And then there's the huge manhunt for Brian.

Why would the police organize a search for him? He's a person of interest who probably wasn't under an advisory to stay at his parents' home and not leave town. His attorney made it clear Brian is exercising his right to remain silent.

Does a search like this require a judge's approval? What's the purpose? He hasn't been named a suspect. Would they conduct a search out of concern for his personal safety?

It sounds like Brian leaving his parents' home enabled the police to obtain a warrant to collect some of Brian's personal belongings for the search dogs. But why?

I'm now wondering if Brian's departure coincides with something he learned was about to happen. I am heartbroken for Gabby and Brian.

Small detail but in my opinion I don’t think the police needed a warrant to collect personal belongings for the scent dogs - I’m guessing his parents willingly gave those items because they want him to be found?

I wonder if he had a change of clothes.... dragging a body.... I don't know, something here doesn't add up for me, but we'll see!
I think he went back to check on things, to make sure nothing had been moved or discovered before he left town.

IMO, Gabby is still where whatever happened happened. I don't believe he moved her at all. It just seems far-fetched to think that he could move her anywhere without a vehicle.

This might be helpful understanding the geographical significance of Miranda (the TicTok woman) and why BL would have wanted to get out. As provided by @twomoreseconds on the R Updated Detailed Map of Key Information and Witnesses discussion,"From Colter Bay there’s 2 ways to the city of Jackson. When Miranda took the way that doesn't go near Spread Creek, he freaked out. They’re both N to S roads, that run parallel to each other. If his plan all along was to say he wanted to go to Jackson just so he would be headed in the right direction (S) but then freaked out when they took the other road than he thought they would, which would have not driven him by Spread Lake. He probably just assumed they’d take the route he wanted because it’s the more popular way."

My thoughts about the tarp were piqued because it seemed like probably a lie, and people with a guilty conscience often make up lies to explain things they don't need to explain.

So, just as speculation, it occurs to me that a potential Brian mentioning he had been camping on a tarp, was a lie to cover up why he had a tarp.

A tarp is sadly often used to move a body. Drag it, roll it, easier to lift, etc.

All amateur speculation, coming from the problem of how come Gabby hasn't yet been found in one of the most heavily hiked areas of the US.

This is what I was pointing at as well.

That makes a lot of sense. Dead bodies are *heavy*, then add the extreme stress I'd assume he was feeling. Ouch. I get the sense she's extremely shallowly placed under branches, that sort of scenario.

I think he went back to check on things, to make sure nothing had been moved or discovered before he left town.

IMO, Gabby is still where whatever happened happened. I don't believe he moved her at all. It just seems far-fetched to think that he could move her anywhere without a vehicle.

I quit reading/posting at 5ish est sat since college football was on and I’m a grad of an SEC school. It’s a big deal to all of us. Still….y’all got through another new thread in just a few hours. Man this thing is moving fast. Having said that…..I get it. This is a crazy case with a lot of twist and turns….and we all hope Gabby will be found alive and safe. Sadly. It’s not looking like that but we all still hope and will until the very last moment.
LOL. I know and even now I'm reading on page 4 and the thread is up to 8 and I've been here. One thing new since you were gone I think: 2 elk hunters/spotters (whatever) saw van at Spread Creek on 8/29 unaware of any other witness reports. FBI was at Spread Creek has asked for info and as of 7 pm local time, closed it in connection with this investigation. So, they either found something or they are confident they will and they don't want the scene compromised.

Miranda TikTok said that his bag was very empty and he replied that he was only carrying a tarp.

He also said he didn't have a cell phone to the Moab cop, but he did. But whether or not he had a sleeping bag isn't really important. He was there to be picked up by the tiktoker and the van wasn't so he got there somehow by walking, most likely. I think he was wandering lost in the wilderness after stashing her body and ended up 10 miles from their camp site.

That's a sad and scary thought. I don't agree that he couldn't carry her, but he could nonetheless move her more effectively with the van.

My hopes for resolution at Spread Creek just went down.

Afternoon like 5:30

What about this as a narrower timeline:

Aug 27: last contact, snapchat (time unknown)
Aug 27: suppose 9:00 PM, something goes wrong
Aug 28: 9 PM, 24 hours later (hiding a body?)
Aug 29: 5:30 PM, 44.5 hours later, smelling clean, he hitch hiked (from tourist spot parking lot?)
Aug 29: 9 PM, 48 hours later, he sleeps?
Aug 30: heads to Florida
Sept 1: arrives

oh wow...so not 100% certain it's recent.
if they're confidently saying the dog alerted to his scent, i'd expect it to me more recent. if it were weeks ago i'd expect more behaviors from the dogs like they were fringing on a scent, which wouldn't give a solid of confident alert ( i'd trust the dog that the person *was there* but due to the alert not being strong/quick i wouldn't give a 100% confirmation to media )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member