Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #15

Status
Not open for further replies.

PommyMommy

#ShinelikeShanann
Reaction score
Missing woman disappears after road trip with boyfriend as mom reveals message to authorities

Gabby Petito, 22, set out on a road trip with her boyfriend in a converted camper van in early July to tour National Parks, but she disappeared in late August and her family hasn't heard from her in more than two weeks. Now, her mother is pleading for help finding her daughter.

Nicole Schmidt, Petito's mother, said that the last verbal conversation she had with her daughter was on Aug. 25.

"I don't know if she left Grand Teton or not," Schmidt said. "I did receive a text from her on the 27th and the 30th, but I don't know if it was technically her or not, because it was just a text. I didn't verbally speak to her."

[...]

The couple stopped in Grand Teton National Park on Aug. 25, Petito's last known location, before a planned trip to Yellowstone. They were traveling in a 2012 Ford white van that was converted into a camper.

[...]

A spokesperson for the Jackson Police Department said that an "attempt to locate" call was recently filed for Petito. The Suffolk County Police Department is also investigating the case. Suffolk County PD declined to comment on Sunday.

Petito is 5’5" and has blonde hair and blue eyes. She has a triangle tattoo with flowers on her left arm and a "Let it be" tattoo on her right arm.

Anyone who has seen Gabby or has any information on the case should contact the Suffolk County Police Department at 1-800-220-8477.

WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 8/25/21 *MEDIA MAPS TIMELINE No discussion*

Thread #1
Thread #2

Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10
Thread #11
Thread #12
Thread #13
Thread #14

Last edited by a moderator:
A Body has been found in the area of the search for Gabby.

Mod Note:

Please Read and Acknowledge

Where we are at this time:
-Brian Laundrie is officially named a POI by Law Enforcement
-Awareness foundation is approved for discussion
-Find Gabby FB page is not approved
-Gabby is still missing and considered the victim in this case
-Authorities have the van
-LE was at the Laundrie home last night
to talk with family - Protestors were at scene
-FOX 13 has reached out to authorities and police confirmed that they have been in contact with the TikTok user, Miranda Baker. They say her story is "possibly credible."
-Authorities are searching for BL who is now considered a missing person: current known search is at Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park / Carlton Reserve
-BL’s parents shared with LE they have not seen BL since Tuesday
-Video of couple dash cam is approved

———————————————

-Gabby’s case is not connected to the double homicide - DO NOT BRING IT BACK INTO THE Thread
-DO NOT BRING IN COVID / COVID SHOTS
-DO NOT BRING IN MENTAL HEALTH

-Do not start or encourage conspiracy theories
-Speculation or suggestions of a hoax or drug use is not permitted
-Include links to sources
-Do not link to unapproved social media
-post to engage in dialogue, not to bicker or argue with fellow posters
-No sleuthing BL’s parents
-WS is Law Enforcement friendly - it OK to have an opinion on the status of events but do not openly bash LE on WS

Violations of the bullets above will result in an immediate time out. If you have a concern, please use the report link at the bottom of any post rather than stating your concern in thread. If you have question please PM a member of the Mod Team. We are here to help you!

Complete list of rules can be found here: RULES

Thank you for helping us keep this thread open and running smoothly by following the rules and guidelines above. We don’t like closing threads any more than you like experiencing a thread closure.

Thanks for being amazing and valued WS members!!

Best to All,
Tiff

———————
Compliments of @oviedo
LAST UPDATED 10:30 AM EST SEPT. 19

Snipping the timeline and working on it - specifically the cars in the driveway during Sept12-17

AUG 24: The couple were seen checking out of a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah
AUG 25: Petito’s family spoke to her for the last time over the phone and she said she was in Grand Teton National Park
Last phone call between Gabby & her mom, Nicole Schmidt. Last Instagram post from Monarch Wall in Ogden, Utah.
AUG 25 - Couple spots van at 5pm at Jenny Lake - alerts LE 9/17 they saw it

AUG 27
- Gabby's uncle posts there was a snapchat Gabby sent a friend -heading to Yellowstone (in Dailymail article)
AUG 27-a Van is seen in the side of the road and youtubers post it - MSM picks up the story - could be Gabbys
In the video the lady says it was recorded Aug 27, 2021 at between 6:00 to 6:30 PM
AUG 27 & 30
: text messages from Gabby’s phone sent to mom
After August 30th, Gabby’s parents weren’t able to get in contact with Gabby or her fiance. Her fiance’s mother also was not responding to any phone calls.
AUG 29- BL is picked up at 5:30pm while
hiking alone in Grand Teton (tiktok reported in MSM)
B alleged that Laundrie had confessed to camping at an unregulated site in the National Park "in the middle of nowhere along Snake River."

AUG 29 Elk hunters spot van

AUG 30: Text from Gabby to Mom - No service in Yosemite
August 31: A new list titled “Self-Consumption” appeared on the couple’s Spotify
SEP 1: BL returns home to FL alone, (retains an attorney we don’t know when) & is uncooperative with the investigation
SEP 10:: Gabby’s mother texted BL and his mother, RL, trying to get in touch with Gabby, but neither replied. The family alerted the National Park Service.

Sept 10- Gabbys Dad contacts LE?

SEP 11: Gabby’s family report her missing 7 PM
Sep 11: Van seized at the home of BL parents in NorthPort FL - FBI

Sept12-15- working on which cars were in the driveway- camper, mustang, red vehicle

Sep 14: BL family lawyer issues statement
Note: a vehicle left driveway at 6:04pm

Sept 15: NorthPort police names BL as Person of Interest

Sept 15: Gabby's family issues another statement

Sep 15- Northport police chief asks BL lawyer to assist in finding Gabby
Sep 17 - FBI takes over search in WY (GTNP =Grand Teton National Park)

Sept 17- BL family asks police to come to their home
Sept 17- LE at BL home - he is declared missing by his parents as of Tuesday
Parents admit driving the mustang back after finding it at the preserve
Sept18- searches for Gabby and BL
Sept 19- BL search planned
—-
WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 8/25/21 *MEDIA MAPS TIMELINE No discussion*

Elk hunters sighting
Search intensifies for Gabby Petito; police respond to Laundrie home in Florida
Reporter Brian Entin video he posted on Tuesday 9/14 at 6:04 pm and he said the parents had left an hour previously.

https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1437930287170822152?s=21

Then video of them returning in a red truck.

https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1437932624534769668?s=21

——-
  • this reporter says that Brian’s family called police this morning and says he was last seen at the reserve by them and they came here on Tuesday and saw his mustang and drove it hom
Updated with new YouTube video

Last edited:
Mod Note:
We went through several threads yesterday with comments on mental health, OCD, anxiety, etc. It is time to let that go. The focus is where is Gabby and our POI Brian.

Future posts regarding mental health will be removed. The thread is simply moving too fast to bring in the various points of view and personal experiences in this area.

Thanks everyone - You are Rock Stars and we so appreciate you!!

Last edited:
I just realized the timing of the first ground search for Gabby coincided with the search for Brian. Had the FBI led search for her yesterday been announced in the days prior? Or did LE’s impromptu Friday night meeting with Brian’s parents propel Gabby’s search into motion? If so, why? Thinking out loud…

I was almost wondering if Brian left a note or something that gave a rough area for Gabby, thus starting both searches in desperate earnest. Which again, I fully believe he is dead—it would explain why they launched such a large scale manhunt for him.

Also, this would definitely make a person remember seeing you. The only thing I can think is that was the intent. He wanted someone to remember the man who would pay $200 for a ride that said his fiancée was back at the van working and he had been out hiking/camping for a few days.

IMO, if that is the case, then he sets up his alibi for camping and hiking away from the van and even has witnesses to prove he was somewhere else because of the memory of the man named Brian that paid them $200.
Good point; I didn't think of that.

This case will probably end up being similar to so many other missing people...Summer Wells, Orrin and Orson in Bakersfield.

Shrug, they are gone. No evidence, no charges. There is a problem with our justice system when victims never get justice.

I wonder if one of the things he was doing in Colter Bay Village (if the TikToker is correct) was accessing an ATM machine so he would have cash for gas and wouldn't have to pay with a credit card on the way home.

According to this page, the General Store has an ATM. He may have been flush with cash, which would explain why he was offering $200 for a ride.

General Store - Colter Bay Village

But how appropriate is it, for him to offer that?

I keep thinking that he seems not to know where he is, exactly. I mean, he knows he's in or near a National Park (but I'm convinced he wrote that message to Gabby's mom mentioning Yosemite). And he gets freaked out while heading to Jackson, which is where he said he wanted to go (but perhaps, in his mind, he knew he needed to go east to get to the van).

Why offer $200? That's socially inappropriate, IMO. No experienced traveler is going to reveal they have $200 in cash unless they need to. Offering $20 for gas would be socially appropriate - he seems not to know that. Why does he not know that?

How do we know he isn't though? Ted Bundy by all accounts was very charming. Not saying it's the case here but we can't say for sure until we know more about him.
I have a very specific memory of being a child. Some guy in our apartment building offered us candy, and when my mother came flying out of the building like a bat out of hell to scream at everyone, I remember telling her, "But he looked like a nice guy!" To which she replied, "Jeffrey Dahmer looked like a nice guy too!"

My child brain had no idea what she was talking about, but I think about it often as an adult.

P.S. He actually was a very nice guy who worked at a local candy factory (PEZ), and he became a good family friend, but what sort of adult thinks it's a good idea to offer children candy without an adult around? Ah, the 80s/early 90s.

I was looking also....there is a place called the wedding tree ...
and looking south...is interesting....

Only throwing this out there, but could explain why GP’s family can’t talk about the relationship, why it’s hard to pin down where the on-off engagement was at that point, and possibly (if the store sighting is credible) make sense of GP’s happy “We’re engaged!” upon leaving the store.

I can't figure out how to quote on a closed thread but wanted to comment about the post below. Specifically "telling the people who picked him up MORE than they needed to know about "fiancé" being back at the campsite busily working on her vlog....."

Reading that made me recall something I took a note on from a book called Gift of Fear and other Survival Signals. Basically, they are telling people who are in a bad situation what to look for so as not to become a victim. One was:

TOO MANY DETAILS – When people are telling the truth they don’t feel they need to elaborate on their story with ‘too many details’.

So, to me, the fact he was using too many details, when it wasn't necessary to do so, likely means he's guilty of something. As the book said.... people don't feel the need to elaborate their story when they are telling the truth.

ACTIVE SEARCH - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #13

This interaction is key. He would know she is missing by now but didn't say anything to anyone. Probably because he wanted her to stay missing so she couldn't tell the story of being left in the middle of nowhere. He needed time to ensure she didn't make it out at this point. That's why he sent the mom a text to delay her from sending a search party

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth